shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
You know, a 20 motif of any kind would not be for me, either. My issue with long necklaces (is this just me?) is that they move over and one side ends up caught over one boob. And there they stay.

I never thought of that being an issue!

I'm flat as a pancake, so nothing gets caught over my boobs! :lol-2:

Its so interesting hearing everyone discuss what does and don't work for them style-wise and also from a practical standpoint. We are all so different.

For me, I love love love the 20 motif pieces because I would wear them doubled. My neck/upper chest area is oddly elongated so I have a lot of neck real estate to cover. I've tried on the 10 motifs and they are too sparse looking on me. But an Alhambra strand doubled, yeah man, that's visual perfection!

So my holy grail necklace is the 20 motif carnelian (in a dark carnelian shade).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my holy grail necklace is the 20 motif carnelian (in a dark carnelian shade).
That would be beautiful with your other pieces - rich and luxurious combination :love:

Yellow gold?

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought of that being an issue!

I'm flat as a pancake, so nothing gets caught over my boobs! :lol-2:

Its so interesting hearing everyone discuss what does and don't work for them style-wise and also from a practical standpoint. We are all so different.

For me, I love love love the 20 motif pieces because I would wear them doubled. My neck/upper chest area is oddly elongated so I have a lot of neck real estate to cover. I've tried on the 10 motifs and they are too sparse looking on me. But an Alhambra strand doubled, yeah man, that's visual perfection!

Would be very striking and dramatic on you. You can totally pull that off. I hope you can get mod shots.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
That would be beautiful with your other pieces - rich and luxurious combination :love:

Yellow gold?

Yes, I'm leaning YG, but not 100% decided.

I LOVE the way carnelian looks in the special orders with white gold and also with rose gold, so those do tug at my heart.

But I'm a pragmatist, and I know I'd get the most wear from a carnelian if it were in yellow gold. I've tried on one in the dark carnelian shade twice (there was one at my local boutique). It goes so incredibly well with my winter wardrobe which consists of V-neck cashmere sweaters and DVF cashmere wrap dresses in dark shades like forest green, navy blue, dark chocolate brown and black. On my complexion, those rich autumn colors require a warm metal. And as pretty as a pure red carnelian is, it doesn't look as good on me as a dark carnelian with hints of brown. (I know the ones that lean brown aren't nearly as popular in general but on me, they really work).

And then even considering what I've said above...I still love it in rose gold and still consider a special order.

And 10% of me toys with the idea of white gold with white MOP. I would get a lot of wear from that 20 motif too, though it would be with my summer wardrobe, not my winter one.

A different 10% of me toys with getting the 20 motif in all metal (no stone) either hammered rose gold or yellow gold. So very classic and versatile.

So here's my odds: :lol-2:

75% chance I'll get dark carnelian/yellow gold
5% chance I'll get a special order carnelian rose gold
10% chance white gold white MOP
10% chance all hammered metal (RG or YG)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE the way carnelian looks in the special orders with white gold and also with rose gold, so those do tug at my heart.

But I'm a pragmatist, and I know I'd get the most wear from a carnelian if it were in yellow gold. I've tried on one in the dark carnelian shade twice (there was one at my local boutique). It goes so incredibly well with my winter wardrobe which consists of V-neck cashmere sweaters and DVF cashmere wrap dresses in dark shades like forest green, navy blue, dark chocolate brown and black. On my complexion, those rich autumn colors require a warm metal. And as pretty as a pure red carnelian is, it doesn't look as good on me as a dark carnelian with hints of brown. (I know the ones that lean brown aren't nearly as popular in general but on me, they really work).

And then even considering what I've said above...I still love it in rose gold and still consider a special order.

And 10% of me toys with the idea of white gold with white MOP. I would get a lot of wear from that 20 motif too, though it would be with my summer wardrobe, not my winter one.

A different 10% of me toys with getting the 20 motif in all metal (no stone) either hammered rose gold or yellow gold. So very classic and versatile.

I totally understand re. a warmer red with a touch of brown working with an autumn complexion. I’m the same way, and to an extreme. I have to consciously keep myself honest - bright turquoise and royal lapis and icy chalcedony looks so beautiful on other people.

But I have to say, I can see WMOP in WG working really well for you too! And it’s versatile. I think it could be great in winter too. It’s such a striking design, but so neutral in colour, you could pair it with pretty much anything you wanted… With brights for summer, with pave or a clip (carnelian rose de noel?) for winter…

Would you want matching earrings/bracelet?

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Would you want matching earrings/bracelet?

If I were wealthy, I'd love the whole set ... but not to wear at the same time. I don't mind matching earrings with bracelets, but not any more matchy/matchy than that. A 20 motif is soooo punchy/bold, that wearing any additional similar pieces would be overkill.

With the Carnelian/YG 20 motif, I'd wear pave earrings of some sort, such as these Cartier bombe style huggies. A hint of sparkle, but won't overpower the necklace. A supporting actor role. And probably a similar, bombe RHR.

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 8.51.18 PM.png

With the WG/WMOP 20 motif, I'd wear my diamond stud earrings and tennis bracelet (when its eventually finished).

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few modeling pics from my archives.

They photos were taken on different days and I'm wearing the exact OPPOSITE clothes of what I'd actually wear with the necklaces. I'd wear the dark green dress with the carnelian and the peach silk blouse with the WMOP. (So switch them in your mind's eye) :

The following YG Carnelian was much darker and richer in person, the spot lighting washes it out in the photos.

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They photos were taken on different days and I'm wearing the exact OPPOSITE clothes of what I'd actually wear with the necklaces. I'd wear the dark green dress with the carnelian and the peach silk blouse with the WMOP. (So switch them in your mind's eye) :

The following YG Carnelian was much darker and richer in person, the spot lighting washes it out in the photos.

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

Love this. Love. Even with bad lighting I can see how beautiful it is on you. The WGMOP is beautiful too but not as striking and rich as the carnelian.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Love this. Love. Even with bad lighting I can see how beautiful it is on you. The WGMOP is beautiful too but not as striking and rich as the carnelian.

Thanks @LLJsmom ! I love your eye for style, so if you think its a "yes" then that definitely bolsters my confidence!

I felt such a strong initial reaction to this piece when I tried it on, it made me swoon. But because its been months since the last time I saw it in person, and my photos of it aren't great, I started to doubt myself. But gosh I remember how it made me feel so I gotta trust that! And my DH loved it too.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @LLJsmom ! I love your eye for style, so if you think its a "yes" then that definitely bolsters my confidence!

I felt such a strong initial reaction to this piece when I tried it on, it made me swoon. But because its been months since the last time I saw it in person, and my photos of it aren't great, I started to doubt myself. But gosh I remember how it made me feel so I gotta trust that! And my DH loved it too.

I am longing for a 20 motif in all hammered metal, rose gold...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Some Mikimoto designs could un-industrialize really well too, I think - without going all in on the proverbial ruffles and foof. (I can say that because I’m a ruffles and foof kind of person :bigsmile:) Maybe something to consider in future if you’re interested? Tons of non-branded and much more cost-effective options as well of course, like a plain baroque Tahitian bracelet. I personally really like that I never see pearls stacked with Cartier and VCA, in the real world or on social media.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply, @yssie !!!

I haven’t thought much about pearls recently, but this gets the wheels turning for future ideas. I had kind of written them off as too frilly and feminine (idk why I am stuck on this particular characterization of jewelry b/c I agree with you it’s not quite right but it’s the closest I’ve got), but some of the black pearl options you linked are intriguing. Silly question, but can you stack pearls? I always thought they were super delicate and had to be worn on their own.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

Oh my goodness I can see why you’re in love with the carnelian! It looks fantastic on you. And the 20 motif doubled is a perfect length and gives you all those motifs! My neck is big enough I could not pull this off. Seriously, this is great.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That initial reaction/response has always been my most accurate measure of my true love of a piece. I trust your get response.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors Honestly, I can’t choose. You wear both so naturally. That carnelian just glows :kiss2: Any blacks, greens, browns, golds, whites, greys - it would be gorgeous. With simple pave on the ears and hands letting the twenty make the statement… Yeah. You’ll turn heads. And I like the WMOP with the green as well actually, add plain diamond studs and maybe move the brooch lower on the dress and you’re set for any winter event.

I’m a big believer in strong first impressions too. Sometimes I’ll have no real first impression, and it takes some time for me to develop an opinion… But when I do have a strong first opinion I’ve found it rarely changes. If your heart belongs to carnelian then IMO carnelian you must have. I could see you ending up with both eventually :bigsmile:

I’m with you on a little Alhambra going a long way on one part of the body. “Necklace alone”, “necklace plus ring”, “earrings and bracelet”, “pendant and bracelet”, “pendant and ring”. It could be fun to have the full set to mix and match with.

Hard to go wrong here!! ::) And a huge echo Yes to LLJsmom as queen of casual luxury!! I love her looks and I want to have her confidence when I grow up :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply, @yssie !!!

I haven’t thought much about pearls recently, but this gets the wheels turning for future ideas. I had kind of written them off as too frilly and feminine (idk why I am stuck on this particular characterization of jewelry b/c I agree with you it’s not quite right but it’s the closest I’ve got), but some of the black pearl options you linked are intriguing. Silly question, but can you stack pearls? I always thought they were super delicate and had to be worn on their own.
I totally get it.

I default to seeing pearls as frilly and froufrou and super feminine too. The word “pearl” evokes mental visions of doilies and white gloves and floral porcelain.

But if I think about that mental vision I realise that I’m pretty much always envisioning round white pearls… If I consciously try to create imagery for dark colourful baroques - now I think about wooded landscapes and brisk starry nights. So different. To me anyway. In a good way!! So I’m happy to hear that my musings may have opened some new doors for you!

Pearls do have a reputation for being delicate but they’re honestly not nearly as bad as one might think. Especially Tahitians, they have such thick nacre. 1.5mm thick nacre would be quite normal for a Tahitian pearl. Stacking regularly for five years, you’ll see the surface has turned matte and maybe a deep scratch or two. Of course it depends on wear and it’s all very individualized and all that… But hopefully you get what I mean.

So for a regular stacker I err from the expensive brands but they’re great for inspiration!! You could do a nice non-branded baroque Tahitian with some white gold beads for hundreds of dollars, say. Much more mind-clean pricepoint. I wouldn’t stack akoya (those classic round white pearls) unless you’re prepared to damage them - akoya nacre is almost always < 0.5mm thick. I do stack my Perlee bangles with akoya, which is a recipe for damage… I love the look and I’m okay dealing with replacing as needed. But I wouldn’t recommend that to anyone else because I *know* replacements will be needed.

Ugh. Writing all this out is making me envious of other people! Like @Missie1, I need my Pearls of Gold bangle to hurry up and get here to finish my Perlee stack!! :lol:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have VCA news!! :bigsmile:

My SO has come in. I placed the request in February and it was approved end of March. ETA Feb 2023 but they came in early - my SA received them a couple of days ago. I’m so excited :bigsmile: I love the Frivole design, and I love floral earrings, but the stock pave are smaller than suitable for my ears (the pave adds the “softness” I want though)… The large plain are the right size for me but they’re too bold for my tastes. Large pave - best of both worlds!! :appl:

And here’s something funny ::) I trawled the Whole Internet for photos before I placed my order and didn’t find any. Not one. And my SA shared that she’d only seen one other pair in her tenure with the brand. Then just a few days after I gave the go-ahead Boom shared on here that she’d already ordered these!! She ordered hers a couple months before me I believe. Same exact SO, right down to the metal colour, for all the *exact same* reasons. So of course we chatted and it turns out we have quite a few preferences in common! How totally random, two PSers independently choosing the exact same not-common piece in the same year!!

I need all my earrings adjusted so I won’t see them for a while unfortunately. I bought the pave BTF ring earlier this year too, but asked my SA to hold onto it because it’d be more special to get both as a “set”. All YG to match my old Frivole five flower bracelet.

Here are some pics my SA sent, they’ve been keeping me warm whilst working :love:

15336874-DE74-4298-B61C-38C9BF517F04.jpeg

1B82FBA3-9DC3-4A92-A3B0-6FACA2A4284B.jpeg

7BA69B59-9A56-4187-A3F9-8D6071DCF3A4.jpeg

3F5C2A84-E0A8-49CD-A135-4C59961C7E0E.jpeg

Last edited:
P

Petalouda

My SO has come in. I placed the request in February and it was approved end of March. ETA Feb 2023 but they came in early - my SA received them a couple of days ago. I’m so excited :bigsmile: I love the Frivole design, and I love floral earrings, but the stock pave are smaller than suitable for my ears (the pave adds the “softness” I want though)… The large plain are the right size for me but they’re too bold for my tastes. Large pave - best of both worlds!! :appl:

And here’s something funny ::) I trawled the Whole Internet for photos before I placed my order and didn’t find any. Not one. And my SA shared that she’d only seen one other pair in her tenure with the brand. Then just a few days after I gave the go-ahead Boom shared on here that she’d already ordered these!! She ordered hers a couple months before me I believe. Same exact SO, right down to the metal colour, for all the *exact same* reasons. So of course we chatted and it turns out we have quite a few preferences in common! How totally random, two PSers independently choosing the exact same not-common piece in the same year!!

I need all my earrings adjusted so I won’t see them for a while unfortunately. I bought the pave BTF ring earlier this year too, but asked my SA to hold onto it because it’d be more special to get both as a “set”. All YG to match my old Frivole five flower bracelet.

Here are some pics my SA sent, they’ve been keeping me warm whilst working :love:

These are absolutely STUNNING and GORGEOUS. A true work of art. I can't wait to see an earshot! Wear in good health!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are over the top amazing!!
Enjoy every sparkly moment. :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is really interesting because your favorite 20s are my favorite 20s! I LOVE yg/carnelian for the fall and winter! I already have a few wg/wmop pieces so the 20 would be overkill, but it is still one of my favorite 20s as it is so crisp and cool for summer! I have the solid yg bracelet, and part of me would love to have the matching 20, because that way I could wear the bracelet as an extender when I wanted to wear the 20 long. It is nice they can also be worn doubled.
I really hate that the priced went up, so I don't know if I'll ever get one, but it would be tough choosing just one! I think I might at least get a carnelian bracelet as a consolation prize!

In your case, I could certainly see getting two of the three since the wg/mop would be worn more in the spring/summer and the yg ones would be more fall/winter.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are going to have the most enviable collection!!!! I cannot wait to see these on you! I love Frivole so much!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m so excited to see your pieces @yssie , especially the mod shots. They will be absolutely amazing. I can’t believe they’re finally here. Gosh….. I just can’t wait.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

These are so gorgeous, they look like timeless heirlooms. You have amazing taste!!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow @yssie they are gorgeous and well worth the wait! I'm looking forward to seeing the mod shots and how you will style them!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perfection. Just..... (sigh.....) Perfection.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Oh my goodness, these are glorious!

They make me think of Champagne -- the warm gold is similar in color, and the diamonds are like crisp bubbles, sparkling to the surface. I picture you wearing these to a holiday soirée, looking elegant and glittery, sipping something festive, ...the murmur of conversations, the glint of diamonds...

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This is really interesting because your favorite 20s are my favorite 20s! I LOVE yg/carnelian for the fall and winter! I already have a few wg/wmop pieces so the 20 would be overkill, but it is still one of my favorite 20s as it is so crisp and cool for summer! I have the solid yg bracelet, and part of me would love to have the matching 20, because that way I could wear the bracelet as an extender when I wanted to wear the 20 long. It is nice they can also be worn doubled.
I really hate that the priced went up, so I don't know if I'll ever get one, but it would be tough choosing just one! I think I might at least get a carnelian bracelet as a consolation prize!

In your case, I could certainly see getting two of the three since the wg/mop would be worn more in the spring/summer and the yg ones would be more fall/winter.

That's wonderful to know! You are one of my jewelry inspirations and style sisters! Too funny that we even like those same 20 motifs!

I so hope I can meet you IRL at a PS GTG someday. :love:

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
So I saw these in the window display at Tysons VCA and I want one. It doesn’t even need to be the one with the opal. I highly doubt I could afford one but that is another matter. All I could find out is they are part of the Noah’s ark collection. Whatever that is. Reminds me of my boy; he is a Parson Russell and they are fox terriers but parson/jacks are the genetic forebearers of the modern wire fox terriers and I have a thing for terriers. I imagine they are $$$$. Any way to know besides contacting the store? 5EC9AFE8-C9A5-40C9-B9DA-FAAC43C3855A.jpeg D974544F-D340-48C4-BA93-3EDBD1B3BCD6.jpeg

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my goodness. Those are truly stunning, @yssie !!! Congratulations! I can’t wait to see mod shots when they get to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results