shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Tiffany Silver: Bringing it Back

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
liaerfbv|1384959075|3559819 said:
I will always have a soft spot for my Tiffany stuff. My dad used to get me a new piece every year for my birthday and Christmas from 16 til I was 21 when he died. Some of it I don't wear anymore (the toggle heart bracelet and the RTT ring), while I still wear my onyx bead bracelet at least once a week. I recently bought the matching stud onyx earrings when I was in Paris earlier this year - I'd never seen them here in the US and I LOVE them. I also still wear my silver bead earrings quite a bit to work. I'll have to break out the camera and take some pics!

Sounds like you have some very treasured pieces! :) I'd love to see your Onxy bracelet and earrings!

I'm wearing my bean necklace today - along with my Tiffany Notes studs!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
liaerfbv|1384959075|3559819 said:
I will always have a soft spot for my Tiffany stuff. My dad used to get me a new piece every year for my birthday and Christmas from 16 til I was 21 when he died. Some of it I don't wear anymore (the toggle heart bracelet and the RTT ring), while I still wear my onyx bead bracelet at least once a week. I recently bought the matching stud onyx earrings when I was in Paris earlier this year - I'd never seen them here in the US and I LOVE them. I also still wear my silver bead earrings quite a bit to work. I'll have to break out the camera and take some pics!

Awwww, liaerfbv, I'm so sorry you lost your dad so young. How lovely that he bought you so many pieces of Tiffany. I expect you treasure them dearly. I'd love to see pics of your things!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
oohsparkly|1384947180|3559767 said:
Hi Smith,

Yes that is the one, but with the plain heart. I had a look at the website again this morning (you bad influence, you!!) and I also noticed the chunkier necklaces are in definite decline! They were the ones I liked, I think you might be able to get pendants of various sorts anywhere. I'm feeling a definite urge now to get me the necklace before they disappear!! I definitely want this particular one and no other.

The bracelet is just like in the photo except bracelet sized. So you don't need a photo. Well the truth is (I'm so embarrassed) I don't know how to post photos. I don't even have a smart phone. My phone is dumb. I'm so glad you found the photo for me!!

It's just a lovely classic design that I can't see NOT looking great long term. Most of my friends aren't into jewellery at all and wouldn't have a clue that it was dated (as I didn't until duly informed!)

I do have one friend with this necklace but it is a fake as she is happy to admit.

Anyway I agree with you, they are gorgeous pieces that still look great. Even the chunkier ones are still very elegant.

Thanks for the thread!

Ooohsparkly, I was in Tiffany Boston today and it was slim pickings, slim pickings indeed. I do hope they don't run out. :Up_to_something: You obviously love that necklace. Just get it, wear it, enjoy it, love it. You like it enough to justify the price. It's a few hundred dollars which is nothing over a lifetime. It's not as if it's a few thousand, know what I mean? If they retire that design you will kick yourself. :twisted:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384617640|3557579 said:
Lovelikecrazy: Nice pieces!

Luvtosparkle: is your heavy double heart necklace the one with the toggle? I'd like to see a picture of it! Yes, the bow collection is nice, isn't it? I too have the medium bow pendant, but I kind of wish I'd got the smaller one. I've also got the silver bow studs, which I like better, I think. They're so delicate, but they still show up. I don't wear the bow earrings and bow necklace together, though. An adult woman can have too many bows!

No, it is the Return to Tiffany necklace. Delicate chain but heavy pendant. I was just thinking I should put it on my 36 inch chain and I would like it much better. My hubby got me a open locket/picture pendant and it was on a 18 inch chain. I realized that I don't like anything heavy on my neck. For the last few days I have been wearing it on the longer silver chain and really like it. I even ordered a new
silver and a gold 36 inch necklace.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Luv, I'd love to see pics of your stuff, especially neck shots of that bow because it really sounds as if you rock it.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1385001903|3560270 said:
oohsparkly|1384947180|3559767 said:
Hi Smith,

Yes that is the one, but with the plain heart. I had a look at the website again this morning (you bad influence, you!!) and I also noticed the chunkier necklaces are in definite decline! They were the ones I liked, I think you might be able to get pendants of various sorts anywhere. I'm feeling a definite urge now to get me the necklace before they disappear!! I definitely want this particular one and no other.

The bracelet is just like in the photo except bracelet sized. So you don't need a photo. Well the truth is (I'm so embarrassed) I don't know how to post photos. I don't even have a smart phone. My phone is dumb. I'm so glad you found the photo for me!!

It's just a lovely classic design that I can't see NOT looking great long term. Most of my friends aren't into jewellery at all and wouldn't have a clue that it was dated (as I didn't until duly informed!)

I do have one friend with this necklace but it is a fake as she is happy to admit.

Anyway I agree with you, they are gorgeous pieces that still look great. Even the chunkier ones are still very elegant.

Thanks for the thread!

Ooohsparkly, I was in Tiffany Boston today and it was slim pickings, slim pickings indeed. I do hope they don't run out. :Up_to_something: You obviously love that necklace. Just get it, wear it, enjoy it, love it. You like it enough to justify the price. It's a few hundred dollars which is nothing over a lifetime. It's not as if it's a few thousand, know what I mean? If they retire that design you will kick yourself. :twisted:

Hi Smith, so much logic, so many persuasive points!! :lol:
Clearly it is obvious that I need to get this necklace!!! ( Were you accused of enabling just a few pages back? :lol: :lol: )

It seems I am easily influenced... have been on the phone to Tiffany's today and also looking on ebay. It turns out they DO NOT supply the heart toggle necklace with the unengraved heart any longer. So unless I buy a plain heart for another $135, no deal.

I am actually really happy to look at second hand on ebay. I don't mind it being pre-worn as I'll just scratch it up anyway. There are a few available at the moment in Australia. The trick is making sure it is authentic. There is one seller I feel might be dodgy as the picture they have shown for their heart toggle bracelet is the same for two different purchases. And where are they getting so much second hand Tiffany from? The picture of the necklace they have is not that clear. They also say no returns and don't bug them with questions about authenticity. There is another one that looks more promising. It's a scary purchase though being a product line flooded with fakes...

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ooohsparkly,

Well, it's a conundrum, isn't it? I had a look at ebay, and there are so many which COULD be fakes and you just don't know. There are also many which are quite obviously fakes. The seller who doesn't want to be bothered with authenticity questions sounds dodgy. And with all necklaces, even if it looks really authentic, you've no way of knowing if you will receive the item pictured.

I did also look on the more respected antique and preowned websites here in the States such as Oakgem, Betteridge, and New York Estate Jewelry, but didn't see the necklace you wanted.

One option might be to ask Tiffany to simply turn the heart over so that the engraved side is face-down. There would still be a small hallmark, which is on the back of the heart, I believe, but hallmarks are tiny, of course. Tiffany would just snip that bail that's holding the heart, turn it over, and re-solder the bail. It should be simple.

Another option is to ask them to do a global search for a toggle necklace with the plain heart. A couple of times, I've bought a retired design because my SA found one languishing somewhere. Admittedly, the searches were within the States where I live, and they probably have the most stock, but it's worth asking them. If your SA in Australia says they can only search within Australia, why not call the flagship store in New York and have them search? I think they might not ship overseas, but they would ship to a relative or friend in the States, if you know anyone here? They could then ship it to you. But also, have your SA search Aussie stores. After the designs are retired, they do often have some hanging around.

As a last option, you could just buy the plain heart for the extra. I know, I know. But then perhaps you could also use the engraved heart in some way, like putting it on a fine chain.

ETA: Another option: Post a "Want To Buy" ad in the preloved section of this site. You never now, there might be another Aussie-based PS er who wants to sell their toggle necklace.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Hi Smith,

Thanks so much for all your help!

I rang both the Aussie and US lines to get them to do a search for any leftover of the retired piece. No luck.

However I have found one secondhand one I feel confident in. I spoke to the seller over the phone and asked questions. She has no other jewellery for sale, just furniture, told me when and where she bought it, said she wore it for 6 months now it sits unused so she is selling. The vibe I got was it was the truth.

I got her to send a bunch of photos privately, and have studied the 'how to spot a fake' websites. It all checks out but there is a black spot, perhaps pitting from sitting unloved for years, that she says seems to be permanent, on the back of the toggle. Otherwise it looks very good.

I really would like to save some cash by getting it secondhand anyway. I'm going to let myself think it over for a day or so.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
This preowned necklace sounds like a great option! I have lots of preowned stuff. It's just that some ebay sellers are having a bonanza with fakes in this particular design, and multiple items are a giveaway. Your seller definitely sounds genuine though. I got a genuine Tiffany bracelet on ebay once. It can be done!

About the black spot, I had a spot like that on one of my Tiffany necklaces. Nothing shifted it, not even Tiffany polish or cloth. However, I took it into Tiffany and paid $15 to have them ship it away and get a professional polish, and it came off. So I bet Tiffany could get that black spot off for you.

Let us know what you decide! :appl:

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Smith, I am so glad we had this little chat!! :lol:

Seriously you have been such a help.

That is great to hear about Tiffany's getting the spot off for $15!! Neither the seller nor me knew whether the spot would come out or what it would take. We have been emailing back and forth today and I called a jeweller who quoted me $50 to clean the necklace and I let the seller know that. Seemed a bit steep to me but that's what they said. So $15 sounds very awesome if it would get the spot off.

I'm glad you think pre-owned sounds ok! It's a new world for me, I've never bought any jewellery secondhand.

I had just offered $50 under the sale price she had before I read your post.

Waiting to hear back.....

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Smith1942|1384694137|3557946 said:
Lovelikecrazy: Howe often do you wear your Tiffany silver, and which pieces get the most compliments?

I wear the bead bracelets, horseshoe necklace and the rubedo ring daily. I think the bead bracelets get the most attention, followed by the rubedo ring - which everyone says "OHHHH rose gold!" and then i explain it's just metal :wink2: Alex and Ani are huge here...since I'm from the state where they started, so when people see the bead bracelets they see something different and ask about them!

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Well I'm reporting back with a done deal. Offer of AU $250 for the heart tag/ toggle necklace accepted and will be posted on Monday. Everything checked out along the way and I feel confident this is an authentic piece. However if not have paid by Paypal so am protected anyway.

Thanks for all your enabling... I mean help, Smith :lol:

I finally have the necklace I decided on getting several years ago thanks in great part to this thread giving me a serious nudge on!! Not even the knowledge that it is now considered 'out of date' and only for young girls (not my category) has put me off because as you say Smith, the chunky Tiffany's are beautiful pieces that give an outfit a lift - why not enjoy them and not bow to trends!

It's been fun :appl:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Hope you addicts have noticed that some Tiffany stuff was listed on the Preloved forum.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm not much of a Tiffany or silver girl but I have 2 pieces that I would never part with. The first is a necklace my husband bought me when money was super tight. I had just lost my 1st job and it really hurt my pride. The second piece was a bracelet he bought me when we first started to date at 20 years old. I didn't wear it for years and then he started to buy me additional charms for mothers' day when we had kids. I have 3 charms on it now in addition to the heart it came with.

273241902361874863_eomcqpcz_2.jpg

_12134.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
boerumbiddy|1385161038|3561479 said:
Hope you addicts have noticed that some Tiffany stuff was listed on the Preloved forum.

Oh, how rude! :lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1385162838|3561495 said:
I'm not much of a Tiffany or silver girl but I have 2 pieces that I would never part with. The first is a necklace my husband bought me when money was super tight. I had just lost my 1st job and it really hurt my pride. The second piece was a bracelet he bought me when we first started to date at 20 years old. I didn't wear it for years and then he started to buy me additional charms for mothers' day when we had kids. I have 3 charms on it now in addition to the heart it came with.

SB621 - Nice Tiff! The stories behind both are so sweet. Do you wear them much?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
oohsparkly|1385160107|3561466 said:
Well I'm reporting back with a done deal. Offer of AU $250 for the heart tag/ toggle necklace accepted and will be posted on Monday. Everything checked out along the way and I feel confident this is an authentic piece. However if not have paid by Paypal so am protected anyway.

I finally have the necklace I decided on getting several years ago thanks in great part to this thread giving me a serious nudge on!! Not even the knowledge that it is now considered 'out of date' and only for young girls (not my category) has put me off because as you say Smith, the chunky Tiffany's are beautiful pieces that give an outfit a lift - why not enjoy them and not bow to trends!

Yay! :appl: :appl: :appl: Let us know if you are happy with the necklace. It sounds like a good deal. So happy you saved some cash. I think that getting it was a good move because Tiffany really does seem to be winding down the chunky parts of that collection.

I don't have a smart phone either, by the way, just a basic phone, and I have an old General Electric point-and-shoot camera, nothing sophisticated. I take the photos and then connect the camera to the computer with a cable, and the photos show up in the Removable Disk section. Would love to see pix of your new necklace! :appl: Maybe you have a technology-owning friend? :naughty:

Glad you got the necklace you wanted and...er...sorry about the enabling!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1385168516|3561525 said:
SB621|1385162838|3561495 said:

SB621 - Nice Tiff! The stories behind both are so sweet. Do you wear them much?

I wear the necklace on occasion. I use to wear it more often but now I have a .50ctw DBTY necklace that I pretty much wear 24/7. The bracelet I hardly ever wear. However, I love adding charms to it. I typically only wear it on mother's day when I'm presented with a new charm. However, I would wear it more often if I didn't have to type at my desk all day long. The noise of the charms clanky together drives me crazy. regardless I would never get rid of eithe peice. :halo:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My husband presented me with some massively chunky silver jewellery one Christmas, a suite of necklace, bracelet, and earrings.
The style was of massively curved ring links, hugely chunky!
It was very very shiny and reflective. I felt it was ott for me.
Now, after reading this thread, I'm feeling guilty about returning it.
Perhaps it would have worked for special occasions. It certainly was glamorous.
At the time it seemed too 'old' in style for me, probably because I'd grown up with glamour mums rocking their 80s chunky silver!
But... So glam! Be interesting to hear your sister's view on chunky silver, Smith!
Is it coming back? Maybe next summer...

Julysnight

Rough_Rock
I want to play too! Here is my Tiffany collection. The key is rose gold, I added it so it wouldn't feel left out.

_12153.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Julysnight|1385315192|3562081 said:
I want to play too! Here is my Tiffany collection. The key is rose gold, I added it so it wouldn't feel left out.

Lovely pieces, Julysnight! :appl: Do you wear them much?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1385275959|3561976 said:
My husband presented me with some massively chunky silver jewellery one Christmas, a suite of necklace, bracelet, and earrings.
The style was of massively curved ring links, hugely chunky!
It was very very shiny and reflective. I felt it was ott for me.
Now, after reading this thread, I'm feeling guilty about returning it.
Perhaps it would have worked for special occasions. It certainly was glamorous.
At the time it seemed too 'old' in style for me, probably because I'd grown up with glamour mums rocking their 80s chunky silver!
But... So glam! Be interesting to hear your sister's view on chunky silver, Smith!
Is it coming back? Maybe next summer...

Oh, my sister would reserve her best disdainful curled lip for chunky Tiffany silver, I'm sure. Makes me want to give her some for Christmas :Up_to_something:

Julysnight

Rough_Rock
Smith1942|1385330445|3562183 said:

Thank you!

Not much. I can't really wear any jewelry in my line of work. I received the silver earings and gold pendant in October and still have not worn them. I really do need to make it a point of wearing them, especially around my SO because he might not want to buy me anymore.

Julysnight

Rough_Rock
Smith1942|1385330445|3562183 said:

Thank you!

Not much. I can't really wear any jewelry in my line of work. I received the silver earings and gold pendant in October and still have not worn them. I really do need to make it a point of wearing them, especially around my SO because he might not want to buy me anymore jewelry.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Smith1942, I am an addict, too, and proud of it! Going to the mother ship today to buy my annual silver-colored pocket diary from T&Co.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1385330615|3562184 said:
Oh, my sister would reserve her best disdainful curled lip for chunky Tiffany silver, I'm sure. Makes me want to give her some for Christmas :Up_to_something:

LOL or you could give her some Harvey Nichol paperclips :D

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1385168735|3561527 said:
oohsparkly|1385160107|3561466 said:

Yay! :appl: :appl: :appl: Let us know if you are happy with the necklace. It sounds like a good deal. So happy you saved some cash. I think that getting it was a good move because Tiffany really does seem to be winding down the chunky parts of that collection.

I don't have a smart phone either, by the way, just a basic phone, and I have an old General Electric point-and-shoot camera, nothing sophisticated. I take the photos and then connect the camera to the computer with a cable, and the photos show up in the Removable Disk section. Would love to see pix of your new necklace! :appl: Maybe you have a technology-owning friend? :naughty:

Glad you got the necklace you wanted and...er...sorry about the enabling!

Hiya Smith, reporting back as requested...

The necklace was sent to my parents who live 10 hrs drive away... I will be getting my mitts on it at Christmas when we go up there. So I have not seen it but I got my dad to check it for me, he's knowledgeable about silver and he confirmed it is the real deal and that it looks great! Soooo pleased to pay $250 for something worn 6 months rather than $645 new - even if it were available which it is no longer.

On the tech/photo side - I have long been a tech loser in many ways but have made a quality decision to turn a corner and learn what buttons to press to do what. I have not even put a picture of my engagement ring upgrade on pricescope :oops: Am getting a smart phone soon too - pictures may be forthcoming at some point!!

Thanks again for all the help!

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My friend and I have decided to bring Tiffany silver back by wearing our chunkiest, most Nineties and Noughties pieces around Boston.

We can't be the only women with a huge weight of Tiffany sterling sitting in our jewellery boxes unworn and unloved. We adored it back in the day, and we stopped wearing it because it began to seem so "out". It was in back in the days of Friends, and Rachel's haircut, and since then we've moved on and discovered DBTY, WF, BGD etc.

But the silver is still beautiful, and the items are still substantial and well-made. There is no reason to let the heavy shiny pieces sit there and tarnish. I am going to wear my Tiffany silver and be proud!

Here are my pics. Show me yours!

gedc2689.jpg

Love it, always wanted that horseshoe. I have the mini heart charms necklace with the tiffany blue enamel. And I want the matching silver beaded bracelet .:geek2:

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hmm... how often does the silver tarnish with Tiffany?

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
image.jpg My Tiffany’s I love You ring. Sometimes I like to wear my silver with my gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results