shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Tiffany Silver: Bringing it Back

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
My friend and I have decided to bring Tiffany silver back by wearing our chunkiest, most Nineties and Noughties pieces around Boston.

We can't be the only women with a huge weight of Tiffany sterling sitting in our jewellery boxes unworn and unloved. We adored it back in the day, and we stopped wearing it because it began to seem so "out". It was in back in the days of Friends, and Rachel's haircut, and since then we've moved on and discovered DBTY, WF, BGD etc.

But the silver is still beautiful, and the items are still substantial and well-made. There is no reason to let the heavy shiny pieces sit there and tarnish. I am going to wear my Tiffany silver and be proud!

Here are my pics. Show me yours!

gedc2689.jpg

gedc2696.jpg

gedc2707.jpg

gedc2697.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
More:

gedc2702.jpg

gedc2704.jpg

gedc2705.jpg

gedc2706.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
More:

gedc2714.jpg

gedc2716.jpg

gedc2717.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
More.

Many of my items need cleaning. But I had forgotten how pretty they are, and how much I used to love them. Such a pity that they have been sitting unseen and unloved for so long. I am going to make a huge effort to wear my Tiffany silver - even if the chunky pieces do make me look a bit timewarpy.

I wonder, do the 16- to 25-year-olds buy Tiffany silver now? Do they love it like we used to? Is it a big thing for them like it was for us, or were we really in that craze with the Return to Tiffany items circa 1998-2007 and it's all died down now?

gedc2711.jpg

gedc2713.jpg

gedc2715.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I actually bought a piece of Tiffany silver a few weeks ago - this ring!

And here is my Tiffany bookmark - also a fairly recent purchase - Tiffany Peretti pen and 1837 sterling pencil.

gedc2722.jpg

gedc2719.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Love Tiffany silver :bigsmile:

One of my more frequently worn necklaces is a plain Tiffany silver heart pendant which I had hand engraved with my initals. They do a superb job with hand engraving and I recommend this (not the machine engraving). Love wearing this simple and elegant pendant, which I have on white gold (non Tiffany) chain.

Your post is cool!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Let's see your pendant then, come on, come on! And I'd like a close-up of the wondrous engraving of which you speak so highly!

I've spent the last 90 mins or so sitting in my ancestral manor, polishing the silver...well, I've been polishing the silver, anyway. No manor really. Here is a pic of the stuff all shined up!

Also, two pics of silver pieces which are not Tiffany but which are Tiffanyesque, and which I used to wear ALL the time around 2000-2004, when I lived in London. The heart lariat is 925 sterling and from the Fine Jewellery department of Harrods in London. It cost just 65 pounds back then, so about 100 dollars! The circles necklace is very heavy, again 925 sterling silver, from a great little UK company called Hot Diamonds.

I stopped wearing all these pieces a few years ago. Such a pity. I'm going to break the pattern. I'd totally forgotten how pretty the lariat looks when worn. So odd to think I used to wear it always, and then never.

gedc2725.jpg

gedc2731.jpg

gedc2732.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, I have been true to my promise on the first day after vowing to get more use out of my Tiffany silver. Instead of reaching for diamond jewellery, or teensy DBTY, or anything by BGD or WF, I am wearing four pieces of Tiff silver today, after my shine-up session last night. Some of them haven't seen the light of day in years. Pic below! (Excuse wet hair from shower.)

gedc2735.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Tiffany and Co. rolling ring (18k gold and silver). Say what you will about Tiffany but there is something special about the box.

_11954.jpg

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock
I still wear my RTT heart tag bracelet at least twice a week. Sometimes I add the silver lock watch onto one of the links.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Emproctor - let's see hand shots of that ring, please!

Kits - I'm glad I'm not the only one in RTT Tiffany jewellery! You really don't see many people wearing it these days, compared to just a few years ago. And I love those lock watches - they are very C.S. Lewis/Alice in Wonderland! Does it work properly and keep good time? Will you post yours?

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
My 100-link, 36-inch Tiffany chain from about 1973. It is one of my favorite every-day pieces and I love to count the links. I have never seen one exactly like it. It came from my ex, who somehow thought I demanded expensive gifts..... Little did he know! That is before I discovered the Joy of Jewelry. (I think it cost about $100 at the time, which we didn't have, and which I would actually have preferred that he not spend. But of course now I am glad I have it.)
I have a small Peretti bean, too (remember those?) but its original silver chain corroded beyond use while it was stored away in a box. I wear it on a black silk cord now.
img_4906.jpg

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Sadly, silver is about the only thing I can afford just yet at Tiff! Daily I wear my charm bracelet from my FI, that is slowly filling (3 charms so far!) I have a few of the Notes pieces, the Dove necklace, and i HAD the Paloma Zellige Medallion Ring, but my dog ate it :(

Currently lusting after this, tried it on in store and it's so awesome!
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP07065&mcat=&cid=&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+-s+1-r+-t+sparklers-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+0+2&search=1&origin=search&searchkeyword=sparklers

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the star lariat. I haven't seen that style before and wouldn't have known it's Tiffany!

My Tiffany silver is in the safe deposit at the bank (haven't worn any of it in over 2 1/2 years)...I might have pictures somewhere. My favorite was always the starfish necklace. I bought that before the prices went up.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1384543819|3557161 said:
Sadly, silver is about the only thing I can afford just yet at Tiff! Daily I wear my charm bracelet from my FI, that is slowly filling (3 charms so far!) I have a few of the Notes pieces, the Dove necklace, and i HAD the Paloma Zellige Medallion Ring, but my dog ate it :(

Currently lusting after this, tried it on in store and it's so awesome!
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP07065&mcat=&cid=&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+-s+1-r+-t+sparklers-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+0+2&search=1&origin=search&searchkeyword=sparklers

Oh no!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mean to insult anyone but the Tiffany silver around here was mostly worn by teens or under 25's. I think a lot of women just outgrew it. It just looks so high school.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
April, I myself am nearly 67 and when I was in high school you were lucky to get a circle pin or class ring.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in an affluent Chicago suburb and this stuff is a dime a dozen for the HS girls. Same thing with Victoria's Secret, That has even become very jr high. Adult women won't wear it anymore. Also Coach purses. See them everywhere on girls heading into the HS.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, I have a Coach purse too. Still love them, the classic designs at least. They never wear out. I have a box of Ebay finds to fall back on when this one finally gives up.

When I was in high school (in a fairly prosperous southern town), the aspirational labels were Gant, Villager, London Fog, Bass. it was a fairly classic look, which many could not afford. I don't look down on things just because high schoolers can afford them if I like them otherwise. I don't like wearing prominent trademarks, but a lot of the Tiffany designs from back in the day were well-proportioned and attractive. And if I could find some of those old Villager clothes, I would be happy to wear them now.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1384545983|3557192 said:
I don't mean to insult anyone but the Tiffany silver around here was mostly worn by teens or under 25's. I think a lot of women just outgrew it. It just looks so high school.

Well, no teens I knew could afford Tiffany silver (it's about a third more expensive in Britain) or perhaps I was at high school just before the trend. I was unaware of Tiffany till my sister bought me my first piece for my 21st birthday in 1995. Between then and up to about late twenties, everyone was wearing it.

But anyway, that's my point: We outgrew it, but why? Objectively speaking, it's beautiful stuff, heavy, well-made, and looks amazing when polished up. Just because I associate it with a particular decade of my life is no reason to stop wearing it. I do feel the pieces went "out" but I'm re-examining what that really means and why I don't wear it any more, since it's such a pity to have lovely thick heavy silver around unworn.

As I've worn it today and caught glimpses of myself in the mirror, I feel that a large amount of shiny chunky silver gives a lift to my outfit.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
MC|1384545594|3557182 said:
Love the star lariat. I haven't seen that style before and wouldn't have known it's Tiffany!

My Tiffany silver is in the safe deposit at the bank (haven't worn any of it in over 2 1/2 years)...I might have pictures somewhere. My favorite was always the starfish necklace. I bought that before the prices went up.

It isn't Tiffany, just Tiffanyesque! It's from the Fine Jewellery department at Harrods in London!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
boerumbiddy|1384543767|3557159 said:
My 100-link, 36-inch Tiffany chain from about 1973. It is one of my favorite every-day pieces and I love to count the links. I have never seen one exactly like it. It came from my ex, who somehow thought I demanded expensive gifts..... Little did he know! That is before I discovered the Joy of Jewelry. (I think it cost about $100 at the time, which we didn't have, and which I would actually have preferred that he not spend. But of course now I am glad I have it.)
I have a small Peretti bean, too (remember those?) but its original silver chain corroded beyond use while it was stored away in a box. I wear it on a black silk cord now.
img_4906.jpg

I imagine that chain looks very sophisticated over a black sweater!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
this Tiffany ring was the first piece of 'serious' jewelry I bought myself - decision made even more quickly by the beautiful box it came in and the glamor of being in the gorgeous store (those teenage years!)

seen here with my chrysoberyls.

p1130894_copy.jpg

eta: there's something incredibly beautiful about the weight and tarnish it's taken on these years.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Is it silver?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1384563020|3557354 said:
Is it silver?

not sure if you meant me, but my ring is silver. somehow I feel like I would never buy any other sort of metal from Tiffany - the mental association between the two is strong, not to mention how much they charge for the other metals!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, yes - I did mean your ring! Yeah, Tiffany gold is expensive, and also not everyone can wear that deep yellow shade. I have to keep it to very delicate pieces.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1384560644|3557327 said:
MC|1384545594|3557182 said:

It isn't Tiffany, just Tiffanyesque! It's from the Fine Jewellery department at Harrods in London!

Ah, I missed that part! It's a cool piece. Not sure if I'd wear it, but if I saw someone else wearing the necklace it would catch my eye in a positive way...the kind of jewelry I'd compliment. :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1384558896|3557309 said:
I live in an affluent Chicago suburb and this stuff is a dime a dozen for the HS girls. Same thing with Victoria's Secret, That has even become very jr high. Adult women won't wear it anymore. Also Coach purses. See them everywhere on girls heading into the HS.

Which Coach purses? There are the styles that are worn by many age/economic groups, then the other ones...being the ones that are $1000 or more. Seems like Coach is branching out into two target audiences, those who can purchase the cloth/logo bags and those who purchase leather.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith, its funny you have started this thread! I live in an affluent part of Cheshire, and the primary school my eldest has just started at in Sept is, as you can imagine, a car thief's dream, with mummy's doing the school run in their designer labels with posh shoes on etc - all very modern money & on trend. But there is one of the mummies who absolutely ROCKS her Tiffany silver! She is built like a twig & about 15 feet tall, ever so glamorous, nice diamonds etc, and every single day she wears a huge chunky statement Tiffany necklace. And she looks fabulous! I have been told that some of the women envy my style etc (possibly because i'm not competitive & just go with the flow, even God forbid, without painted nails some days & other days dressed ready for my run :lol: ) but The Twig gives me personal style envy.

I don't own any, just two plat DBTY, but I am thinking of having a look into some :))

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Alex, it's good to hear of someone rocking their Tiffany silver! When you say this stylish woman wears a chunky Tiffany silver statement necklace every day, assume you mean the same one every day, not a different one?? Also, what kind is it? Is it one of the silver heart ones like in this thread?

Yes, I think you should get some chunky Tiffany silver! :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results