shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Silver Jewelry

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia I bought a Haida silver ring with a raven engraved on it during my first trip to Vancouver to visit my folks not long after they immigrated there.

I would love to have one in white gold or platinum, however, I have yet to be able find one, only in silver or yellow gold.

Would you know of any artist who would make jewellery items in white gold or platinum please, as I appreciate I may have to go down the custom route? TIA.

Your collection is beautiful BTW, thanks for sharing! :kiss2:

DK :))

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia I bought a Haida silver ring with a raven engraved on it during my first trip to Vancouver to visit my folks not long after they immigrated there.

I would love to have one in white gold or platinum, however, I have yet to be able find one, only in silver or yellow gold.
Would you know of any artist who would make jewellery items in white gold or platinum please, as I appreciate I may have to go down the custom route? TIA.

Your collection is beautiful BTW, thanks for sharing! :kiss2:

@dk168 I'll inquire for you. My guess is that such a piece could be commissioned. Start by telling me your style? Do you like deeper carving? Light surface engraving? Do you like the pierced metal look as in one of my bands (where you see your finger through it?). The raven is doable by anyone, they all do the raven (and my personal favorite altho the hummer is my totem :))). You see the raven stealing the moon in that piece.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
The ancient Pueblo people used the turquoise they found here in New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada. Some of the mines are very famous, like Sleeping Beauty mine in AZ, and the Cerrillos mine in NM. I believe these have both been mined out, unfortunately.

The Pueblo people made simple strung beads of the turquoise and shell that they got through trading.
Then the Spanish came here in the 1500-1600s and basically took over and stole the tribal land. (sorry, this part makes me mad).
However, they taught the SW tribes silversmithing, and now many tribes here are famous for their distinct styles of silver jewelry.
Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, Santo Domingo, etc.
Other tribes are renowned for their pottery, like the Jemez, Acoma, Laguna, Santa Clara, San Ildefonso, etc.

Here are some classic examples of what I'm talking about.

The Santo Domingo do heishi beads, as well as inlay.
1599930748230.png

Navajo. Large stones, bold style.
1599929762020.png

Zuni are known for their petit point style, reminiscent of needlework.
All the tribes love to add red coral, and spiny oyster to their work as well.
1599929801981.png

Hopi jewelers do more of a carved in style.
1599929920123.png
1599929942707.png

Ahhhhhh. All so very beautiful @stracci2000. I've heard of Sleeping Beauty turquoise.
The Navaho bold style is my favorite (at least at this point LOL).

When I wear a piece, I'm not wearing jewelry so much as a piece of artwork. The narrative is so much a part of the experience of wearing it.

Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy seeing your photos and their stories!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I wear a piece, I'm not wearing jewelry so much as a piece of artwork. The narrative is so much a part of the experience of wearing it.

Agreed!
And thanks for the compliment. I do love talking about jewelry and all the stories that go with it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I'll inquire for you. My guess is that such a piece could be commissioned. Start by telling me your style? Do you like deeper carving? Light surface engraving? Do you like the pierced metal look as in one of my bands (where you see your finger through it?). The raven is doable by anyone, they all do the raven (and my personal favorite altho the hummer is my totem :))). You see the raven stealing the moon in that piece.

Thanks for that in advance!

I just take a quick research, and I would like a design that features the raven stealling the sun, moon and star(s) if at all possible, with CSs bezel set if at all possible to represent each element (I should have some CSs that may suit, like colourless for the raven, red for the sun, blue for the moon and yellow for the star etc.., just thinking aloud).

It would be Size 12 US and could be as much as 15mm wide, to be worn on my left hand middle finger, so plenty of room for a complicated design! :lol-2:

For jewellery, I prefer shiny and close metal look.

I LOVE the engraving on your gorgeous cuff! :kiss2: A cuff that size in WG would break my piggy bank for certain!

I must go back to the Museum of Anthropology at UBC when I visit Vancouver next.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Omg I'm so outclassed lol. I just ordered a bunch of sterling silver and CZ basics because I'm kind of tired of the yellow gold I usually wear but don't want to spend double to get everything in white gold/platinum/diamond. And here y'all are posting all this handmade signed jewelry.

Anyhoo, I have on the way, in sterling and CZ: engagement ring, two bands, stud earrings, "DBTY" knock-off necklace and bracelet, and tennis bracelet.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for that in advance!

I just take a quick research, and I would like a design that features the raven stealling the sun, moon and star(s) if at all possible, with CSs bezel set if at all possible to represent each element (I should have some CSs that may suit, like colourless for the raven, red for the sun, blue for the moon and yellow for the star etc.., just thinking aloud).

It would be Size 12 US and could be as much as 15mm wide, to be worn on my left hand middle finger, so plenty of room for a complicated design! :lol-2:

For jewellery, I prefer shiny and close metal look.

I LOVE the engraving on your gorgeous cuff! :kiss2: A cuff that size in WG would break my piggy bank for certain!

I must go back to the Museum of Anthropology at UBC when I visit Vancouver next.

Ok. I'll make some inquiries. I'm not in Vancouver @dk168, but I am just across the water :) I know of a few galleries that carry these artists and can contact them.

Maybe firm up what stones you prefer on your end? The artist will interpret the stories in a way that works for them, so it may be difficult to incorporate them all unless the stones are small? I could be wrong of course and it will also depend on the individual artist. Pick some favorites and their sizes at any rate. They may choose to only work with their stones, which is VERY common in Canada, sadly. Insurance issues.
Another option is to have mixed metal, typically silver plus gold, or in your case WG or PT plus yellow, altho would likely only work with PT (?). That is a lovely combination, with or without stones, but your call there.

I'll start with asking about commissions in WG or PT and we'll go from there? I'll get you some contact names at the galleries if I can. Weird times right now and all. Give me a week or two. I try to leave inquiries like this for slower weekdays, but rest assured, I. Am. On. It.

Alvin Adkins is the one who does the deeper carving. Highly respected and seasoned artist who may or may not do commissions any longer due to high demand, but it sure doesn't hurt to ask :) He is working in cedar panels and totem poles now, taking commissions for those I'm told. He may be my favorite in some ways for his bold, gorgeous compositions.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a good question, @dk168.
I never realized it is in Fashion jewelry

I mentioned that it was (inappropriately) placed here and that that was why I had not initially found it. It never occurred to me to look for it here.

By the way, there is also a silver thread (like The Gold Thread) that I started years ago. (It shouldn't surprise anyone that @stracci2000 contributed some beautiful photos to that thread,)

Here is a link

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia ooo, we could meet up when I come over to visit my mum and bro!

Thanks for making enquiries for me.

I am open to suggestions for the design, just grateful that I could have a custom piece in WG or platinum without or without CS.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia ooo, we could meet up when I come over to visit my mum and bro!

Thanks for making enquiries for me.

I am open to suggestions for the design, just grateful that I could have a custom piece in WG or platinum without or without CS.

Hang on a hot minute @dk168! Are you a fellow Canadian?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang on a hot minute @dk168! Are you a fellow Canadian?

Noooo, I am a Brit, originated from HK.

My mum, dad and bro immigrated to Vancouver in 1987 and I did not join them as I had made UK my home by then.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter was born in Bogota, Colombia. When my husband and I were adopting her I made two trips there. I bought some tiny Colombian emeralds, but I also visited the Museo del Oro which houses an enormous collection of pre-Columbian gold work and other art. Some of my daughter's ancestors worked in gold, not silver, and some of the pieces they made were amazing. I do not want to do a major threadjack, but reading in this thread about the mines available in the southwest here (silver and turquoise) made me think. People make their jewelry and art with the materials they have at hand. In South America they had gold. Here is my favorite piece from the museum.

museodeloro.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia I love your west coast jewelry. I have a bunch of Haida and Salish pieces. I will hunt it down and polish it (ugh!) and post. Unfortunately, although all my pieces are signed, I no longer remember the artists. One has the initials DLL and was quite famous, but it's all slipped my mind now. I might throw some gold in with it just to show pieces from one artist. I love all your rings. I feel like they're more modern than my pieces.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Strange day today. Went back to work for the first time in six months - yay!
- and found this Cameo in the footpath this morning. Looks like it dropped off someone wearing it. May have some sentimental value so I will post on a local fb group.
Looks and feels like silver - although no markings - and looks like red coral.
0C0B0E1C-8058-472D-B7B9-0551A326311C.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
- and found this Cameo in the footpath this morning. Looks like it dropped off someone wearing it. May have some sentimental value so I will post on a local fb group.

I hope you find its owner ....or you give it a good home if she can't be found

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's cute, but not coral. It is resin, or some other type of molded material. This "ponytail girl" cameo style became popular in the 1960s. She is possibly vintage.
I can't tell about the metal content.
I applaud you for trying to return her to the owner!

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
So my mom recently gave me this set that had been my great Aunt’s. She thinks she bought it in India maybe around the 1960s. If anyone has any insight I’d love to hear it. D4A8C58C-E481-4AEF-A9DF-077733F1F774.jpeg

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter was born in Bogota, Colombia. When my husband and I were adopting her I made two trips there. I bought some tiny Colombian emeralds, but I also visited the Museo del Oro which houses an enormous collection of pre-Columbian gold work and other art. Some of my daughter's ancestors worked in gold, not silver, and some of the pieces they made were amazing. I do not want to do a major threadjack, but reading in this thread about the mines available in the southwest here (silver and turquoise) made me think. People make their jewelry and art with the materials they have at hand. In South America they had gold. Here is my favorite piece from the museum.

museodeloro.jpg

Your post reminded me of the handmade silver pendants I purchased on vacation in Belize. One is a polished shell on a silver chain and the other is made with glass and seeds on a silver frame.

IMG_3340.jpg IMG_3339.jpg IMG_3338.jpg IMG_3337.jpg IMG_3336.jpg

ChickityChicken

Rough_Rock
20200917_221518.jpg
This is an inexpensive large 1.5 inch heart pendant that holds great sentimental value to me. My mother gifted it to me when I was 20, when I was pregnant with my first child. As I am now older, I rarely wear it on a short chain, instead, wear it on this long silver chain with boxy sweaters, jeans, and a good pair of boots. The material under the silver cage is abalone, obviously not even brightly colored, The color irl is more pinkish silver with blue, always shimmering slightly depending on the way the light hits it. In the 15+ years I've had this, It has never tarnished.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
20200917_221518.jpg
This is an inexpensive large 1.5 inch heart pendant that holds great sentimental value to me. My mother gifted it to me when I was 20, when I was pregnant with my first child. As I am now older, I rarely wear it on a short chain, instead, wear it on this long silver chain with boxy sweaters, jeans, and a good pair of boots. The material under the silver cage is abalone, obviously not even brightly colored, The color irl is more pinkish silver with blue, always shimmering slightly depending on the way the light hits it. In the 15+ years I've had this, It has never tarnished.

What a pretty pendant! I love it with that long chain.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love acorns..I just purchased this brooch! I’m going to try to wear it on a chain..lf not I’ll pin it on something...I can’t wait to get it!
FDF87167-128B-40FF-A8BB-BFF7B5D40E19.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m excited to see this thread! I LOVE silver...I have to come back to see all the posts..I’m excited there’s a charm bracelet thread too! I have to dig that out and probably polish it because I haven’t worn it in a long time!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I’m excited to see this thread! I LOVE silver...I have to come back to see all the posts..I’m excited there’s a charm bracelet thread too! I have to dig that out and probably polish it because I haven’t worn it in a long time!

Please share your charm bracelet with us! I am looking forward to seeing it=)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please share your charm bracelet with us! I am looking forward to seeing it=)2

It needs a good cleaning @Made in London! I’m getting some baking soda tomorrow to do a cleaning. I’ll post pics then! It’s vintage with animal charms..lol

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My new pretties are here. My jewelry collection was all yellow gold so this is just for something different. The e-ring is from Jeulia, two bands and earrings from Berricle, necklace and bracelets from Ross Simons. All sterling silver and cubic zirconia.

silver.jpg

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
My new pretties are here. My jewelry collection was all yellow gold so this is just for something different. The e-ring is from Jeulia, two bands and earrings from Berricle, necklace and bracelets from Ross Simons. All sterling silver and cubic zirconia.

silver.jpg

Very pretty!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results