shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your OMCs and antique cushion cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 1:12:36 PM
Author: kimikocat
Hello Irish...

I think the hunt is the best part, don''t you? What are you going to do with yours, once you find the ''right'' one?

Send it to Leon Mege - without doubt! Probably for a solitaire but with a pave shank. What about you?

Ellen: maybe you could insist your hubby find more special occasions for you! Can you imagine that conversation: "But Darling you simply HAVE to find me a ball to go to this month - I have diamonds that need wearing!"
2.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 1:59:48 PM
Author: IrishBreakfast
Date: 6/16/2008 1:12:36 PM

Author: kimikocat

Hello Irish...

I think the hunt is the best part, don''t you? What are you going to do with yours, once you find the ''right'' one?

Send it to Leon Mege - without doubt! Probably for a solitaire but with a pave shank. What about you?

Ellen: maybe you could insist your hubby find more special occasions for you! Can you imagine that conversation: ''But Darling you simply HAVE to find me a ball to go to this month - I have diamonds that need wearing!''
2.gif

Leon... that sounds like a plan. Did you see the OMC ring that he has up for sale? If not, you can see it here.

I had a similar idea to you...but I was also looking at a photograph in the spring issue of Instyle Weddings of a Karen Karch design with a champagne diamond in her "desire" claw/bezel setting, and became intrigued with that idea. Hence the fascination with warm colored/almost fancy yellow stones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen: maybe you could insist your hubby find more special occasions for you! Can you imagine that conversation: ''But Darling you simply HAVE to find me a ball to go to this month - I have diamonds that need wearing!''
2.gif
lol! Say, hubby does still owe me birthday and anni dinners.....
hmmm.gif

I do take it out and wear it once in awhile for no reason when I get to missing it.
5.gif

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
I have seen that one kimiko - I think it''s a beautiful ring and a great price. I''m just looking for something bigger. I want a 2.5-3.0ct stone with a good spread. I was thinking a setting like this one but with a simple basket instead of the diamond bubbles - not that you can see them in that pic! Love that ring though. YUM!

You go Ellen! Make that man take you out!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 7:30:17 AM
I have seen that one kimiko - I think it''s a beautiful ring and a great price. I''m just looking for something bigger. I want a 2.5-3.0ct stone with a good spread. I was thinking a setting like this one but with a simple basket instead of the diamond bubbles - not that you can see them in that pic! Love that ring though. YUM!

You go Ellen! Make that man take you out!

Irish--that''s spectacular! Do you want a fancy color, too?

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Hey kimiko, no I want something more white than colored. I''m not afraid of going as low as L in color. I just need to make sure I have all my pennies squirrelled away so that I can SNATCH the right stone when it appears. I am watching Erica and Grace''s website like a hawk! When are you looking to buy yours?

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Depends on if the right stone pops up. I would love to find one that''s close to a fancy color, but I have to say that I''ve never seen one in the S-Z range in person. That could be interesting. I''ve been thinking about a U-colored stone from Old World Diamonds. I''ve been to Erica & Grace''s site...love the stones that they have now, but they are priced out of my range.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 7:00:41 AM
Author: Ellen

2.gif
lol! Say, hubby does still owe me birthday and anni dinners.....
hmmm.gif

I do take it out and wear it once in awhile for no reason when I get to missing it.
5.gif

It''s so pretty, I agree with Irish...you need to find more occasions to take your ring out in public. :D

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
http://www.karenkarch.com/Wedding-Suite/Engagement-rings/Desire/360

The Karen Karch claw/bezel setting that I referenced earlier.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks kimi!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/13/2008 10:59:43 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
A jeweler that I''ve been frequenting (stalking! LOL) has an OMC that is GIA fancy yellow. 3.91 delicious carats of chunky facats. YUM!

Speaking of fancy colored antique stones, here''s something for y''all. A client of ours picked up this 1.07 ct OEC and the jeweler had graded it an M/C1 champagne color. I know it''s near impossible to judge from pics, but we felt that a GIA cert was in order, as the stone appears to be a very strong lemon yellow in most lighting. Low colored white diamond or fancy light yellow perhaps? It''s far more saturated than my M/N OEC, though we don''t know how loose the appraiser is with color grading - if he says M, perhaps GIA would have said Q?

Our client eventually sold the stone, so it never made it to GIA. But for fun, I thought I''d see what you all thought of the color, as I have not seen old cuts lower than O/P in person :)

19878.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or perhaps it truly is a champagne or top light brown? In the above pic, and the one here, it does look champagne. But in other pics, as you'll see, it's yellow.

19879.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I just want to say this is a great tread. Thank you ericad for taking the time to put up all these beautiful diamonds in one place.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting those pictures.

I haven't seen any old cut stones lower in color than O/P, either. I wouldn't say that I've gone everywhere to look but I've certainly done the rounds of antique jewelers near me (in the SF area) and it seems like most stones are M and higher. I have seen fancy yellows/fancy light yellows, but there's a jump there...what happened to everything in the middle?

The M-colored stones that I've seen face up whiter than the one Erica posted. Not sure why? Perhaps it's because they were already set...in white metal? I love the body color. For a while Lang Antiques had a ring on their site--in the first few pages, I'll go and see if I can find it to post--that was a L/M color and you can clearly see the yellow tint from the side. A bit like lemonade. From the top, though, it was quite white. You really had to turn it over to see the tint.

Too bad your client sold the stone. It's really a gorgeous one. For me it would be a keeper.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
A L-colored OEC from Lang

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2100/

Click on the side view to see the yellow-ish body color.

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-1602/

An O/P colored stone. The body color is apparent, face up. Not sure why they call it "Important" but it sure has some...radius.

Oddly enough, this is the "M" stone I had in mind. And they say it''s an "I"!

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-1242/

But in person it is quite yellow. Could have fooled me!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/20/2008 6:16:26 PM
Author: ericad

A jeweler that I''ve been frequenting (stalking! LOL) has an OMC that is GIA fancy yellow. 3.91 delicious carats of chunky facats. YUM!

Speaking of fancy colored antique stones, here''s something for y''all. A client of ours picked up this 1.07 ct OEC and the jeweler had graded it an M/C1 champagne color. I know it''s near impossible to judge from pics, but we felt that a GIA cert was in order, as the stone appears to be a very strong lemon yellow in most lighting. Low colored white diamond or fancy light yellow perhaps? It''s far more saturated than my M/N OEC, though we don''t know how loose the appraiser is with color grading - if he says M, perhaps GIA would have said Q?

Our client eventually sold the stone, so it never made it to GIA. But for fun, I thought I''d see what you all thought of the color, as I have not seen old cuts lower than O/P in person :)
Here ya go..., enjoy (I know its not in person but....;-)

FIYoec.JPG

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/25/2008 11:05:25 AM
That''s wonderful! Thank you for posting. What are the specs on that stone, DiaGem? The color is simply splendid!
The image doesnt compliment the reality...
Its a 1.55 carat FIY-VS2 (GIA)...

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Irish-I know that you've probably seen this 3 stone OEC posted before, but thought I'd show it off again :)

3 stone OEC2.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
another :)

3 stone OEC3.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
one last pic :)

3 stone OEC.JPG

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Stepcutnut, I really like your band a lot. Can you give us stats on the stones? Do you have any handshots?
30.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Love these cuts!!! YUMMY!
18.gif

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
There''s a dream project for ya... deeeelish! Have fun BIH.
36.gif

Thanks Erica, for posting those pics. I''ve enjoyed your site, too. Your area code made my heart leap a little... imagining those sparklies so near by.
9.gif

Here''s a big fat 3.15 ct Q VS1(as per EGL)... pretty accessible at $12,500. The color''s too low for you (BIH), but I like it!

OMC_Q_3.15.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Erica D, I love that type of color in an old cut diamond. And that one too stepcut, beautiful ring!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 6:16:26 PM

A jeweler that I've been frequenting (stalking! LOL) has an OMC that is GIA fancy yellow. 3.91 delicious carats of chunky facats. YUM!

Speaking of fancy colored antique stones, here's something for y'all. A client of ours picked up this 1.07 ct OEC and the jeweler had graded it an M/C1 champagne color. I know it's near impossible to judge from pics, but we felt that a GIA cert was in order, as the stone appears to be a very strong lemon yellow in most lighting. Low colored white diamond or fancy light yellow perhaps? It's far more saturated than my M/N OEC, though we don't know how loose the appraiser is with color grading - if he says M, perhaps GIA would have said Q?

Our client eventually sold the stone, so it never made it to GIA. But for fun, I thought I'd see what you all thought of the color, as I have not seen old cuts lower than O/P in person :)

From the photos, it looks Q-R or S-T-ish color. Not quite enough color to make it a fancy.

Oh how I want an old cut!!

MajorGroove

Rough_Rock
I love this thread!! I am planning to have a custom pair of drop leverback earrings with old mine cut diamonds made. . .it''ll be my gift to myself when I lose 50 pounds (I''m more than halfway there!), and I will wear those earrings on my wedding day.
1.gif
I''m still in ''diamond-scouting'' mode, but I''m thinking maybe 1 ctw of warmer (j-k-l) color stones. Needless to say, this thread is providing me with LOTS of eye candy!
18.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 4:29:05 PM
Here''s a hand pic of a 2.46 ct OMC. When we categorize diamonds as OMC''s versus Antique Cushions, it''s a reflection of the shape/outline of the stone. OMCs are more roundish. There may be a hint of cushion shape to them, but it''s vague.
What an awesome thread! I *love* these old cut stones....

The pic of the 2.46ct OMC on the hand just about made me choke on my cup of tea it''s so pretty.

Just beautiful... I hope there will be lots more gorgeous pics to ogle...

x x x

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results