shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your OMCs and antique cushion cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
My next major purchase is probably going to be an antique cut diamond of some kind. I am really partial to the Old Mine Cuts and the antique cushions. Please indulge me with lots of pics - as many as you like! I won''t get bored! Many thanks!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you be more specific as to what types of photos you are looking for? Pics of loose stones as examples of the 2 cuts? Pics of PSer''s finished jewelry? LOL, all of the above?

I have pics coming out of my ears, so just wanted some clarification as to what specifically you''re looking for so that I can help :)

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Hi Erica! What an honor to have you pop into this thread - I have been drooling over your loose stones! I''d love any and all pics - loose, mounted, big, small, I don''t mind. I''m looking to buy in a couple of months (although I know it can take a long time for the right stone to appear) and I''d like something that''s pushing the 3ct mark, maybe a tad over. I think I lean more to the OMC and the antique cushions just for the chunkiness of the facets.

Thank you in excited anticipation of sparkly overload!!!!!
36.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, I know we are focusing on OMCs and Cushions, but I just thought I'd throw this out there to help illustrate how greatly OEC's can vary in appearance (self indulgent, but I have been wanting to show that even OECs can have similar chunkiness to OMCs). Plus, it's just the first relevant pic I had in my list :)

The diamond on the left is a later OEC, M/N color, 8.3mm (2.36ct). The one on the right is an early OEC, J/K color, 8.5mm (2.75ct). As you can see, the late OEC exhibits the more traditional flowery/kaleidescope facet pattern with small culet, larger table, etc. But the early OEC is far chunkier, more OMC-like, with larger culet, small table, high crown. Both are stunning in person, but goes to show how much these diamonds can vary from stone to stone.

Now, on to OMCs and Cushions!

IMG_0172A.jpg

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
WOAH! Talk about a great pic to start off with! The later OEC looks like it''s returning more light - is that typical?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not necessarily, as there are many factors that can contribute to what you see in the pic. Having seen both stones in person, it's true that the later OEC is more brilliant, though the early OEC exhibits more "aggressive" bursts of colored fire. I would not say this is automatically true of all early versus late cuts, however, as I have seen many poorly cut, dull Transitionals, for example. One must factor in each diamond's color, cut quality, fluorescence, etc. I will say that the appearance of the stones in these pics are a fair representation of how they look in real life.

Now, is it likely that a later cut will be more brilliant than an early cut? Yes. But there are no guarantees.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s a hand pic of a 2.46 ct OMC. When we categorize diamonds as OMC''s versus Antique Cushions, it''s a reflection of the shape/outline of the stone. OMCs are more roundish. There may be a hint of cushion shape to them, but it''s vague.

Antique cushions, on the other hand, will have a distinct square or rectangular cushion outline.

Both OMCs and Antique Cushions were cut during the same time period.

OMC_2.46_M_VS_hand.JPG

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my OMC! I don''t have it in possession yet, so here''s the WF pic...

48FVS1image111.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lighting is not great in these pics, and it''s very hard to get 4 stones facing the camera at the same time!

These are 4 different Antique Cushions, of varying weight and color.

Cushion_Comps_A-2.JPG

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Erica: Thanks for all the great info and pictures - I am in antique sparkly heaven! I really love the cushion you posted. I guess I''m leaning towards that soft, square shape. I do see how those last two are different - although I can''t seem to decide which I prefer.
20.gif
I do think I would prefer a smaller culet but that''s about the only decent decision I seem able to make! I think I should be allowed one of each. Anyone else hear my DH groaning?!
1.gif

Sunnyd: your cushion is beautiful! What are the stats on that darling?

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 4:41:24 PM
Author: ericad
Lighting is not great in these pics, and it''s very hard to get 4 stones facing the camera at the same time!

These are 4 different Antique Cushions, of varying weight and color.

Cushion_Comps_A-2.JPG
23.gif
You must love your job.
23.gif

I like #1 and #3 very much. I''m not particularly color sensitive and I think a slightly warmer color is charming in an antique cut. I think what has me most taken is the smaller culets. Not so sure of the smaller table on #1 but I like the overall shape very much.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh yes, I certainly do. I''m very passionate about old cuts. My mother refers to it as "Antique Diamond Rescue" - scouring the globe to save old diamonds and place them into new homes!

The fact that you have a culet preference as well as a sense of color range is a lot of progress. This type of info is invaluable in helping a vendor recommend stones to suit your particular taste.

Video clips of stones you are considering can help a lot, if the vendor is able to provide that. It''s worth asking, as it really helps you see a diamond''s light play - something you can''t always capture in a picture.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Irish! It''s a .48 F VS1. It''s really rectangular compared to other OMCs I''ve seen on here, but the cert says so, so I''ll believe it!
2.gif

Erica those stones are delicious!!
18.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread! I''m also on the hunt for an antique stone...or maybe a few, depending on where my design plans go :D My e-ring is an OEC (it''s actually a late OEC, bordering on transitional) and I thought it would be fun to "collect ''em all." (Collect all the cuts, that is.) I''ve seen some unusual OMCs and antique cushions in very warm colors (down in the S/T/U range) that are almost a very light fancy yellow, and they look so pretty, like someone dropped a bit of dye into water. Now I''m curious to see some old cuts that are actually fancy colored.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A jeweler that I've been frequenting (stalking! LOL) has an OMC that is GIA fancy yellow. 3.91 delicious carats of chunky facats. YUM!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thought I''d add these. They are supposed to be OMCs and 2 very reputable antique jewelers call them such, but if you look closely at the shape, its pillow-y and really cushion like.

omc_ears.JPG

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Oh yum. Erica--Since there are "grey areas" between the cuts...does that mean that we must collect those, too? :) I don''t know which of your stones I love more. I guess it would depend on the design project of the moment...

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 10:59:43 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
A jeweler that I''ve been frequenting (stalking! LOL) has an OMC that is GIA fancy yellow. 3.91 delicious carats of chunky facats. YUM!

Dee*Jay, have you gotten to view the 3.91 carat fancy yellow in person? What does it look like? (Y''know, compared to say...a similar fancy color with a modern cut, like a fancy yellow radiant or a fancy yellow modern cushion?...)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my OMC that I inherited early from my mom. (there's more shots later in the thread)

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Big thanks to everyone for adding your pics and linking relevant threads - I have certainly learnt a lot. I''m getting a pretty good idea of what I want. Dee*Jay I''d love to see a pic of the fancy yellow - YUM!

Sunnyd, your stone is gorgeous! I cannot wait for pics when it''s set and on your finger!

tradergirl, you lucky duck! Any idea when it will be with you? You realize I need to know when to expect pics!!!

kimikocat, good luck in finding the perfect stone for you. I''m kinda looking forward to the search - hope you enjoy the hunt!

grace, those earrings are WOW!
30.gif
Love them!

Ellen, what a great piece to inherit. Do you wear it a lot?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Irish. No, I really don''t wear it a lot, as it''s a bit dressy, so I save it more for special occasions.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, that piece is lovely. I used to work in the same building as a woman who wore a similar piece as her engagement ring. She worked in the arts, so the piece seemed unique and appropriate.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hello Irish...

I think the hunt is the best part, don''t you? What are you going to do with yours, once you find the "right" one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results