shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your 22k -24k jewellery!

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been considering various rings for a while now and took a trip to some South Asian stores in my area yesterday. The price of 22k-24k jewellery there is significantly cheaper compared to any 10k-14k available in the big commercial jewellery stores. I spoke to a jeweller about having a piece custom made in 18k and he recommended 14k to me instead randomly although I specifically asked for 18. I’m convinced it’s so he can make a larger profit off the work, but anyways.

I keep hearing that 22k is too soft for jewellery, but all the South Asians where I live wear that. I just can’t get myself to pay for a 14k ring at more than double the price after seeing these prices in the SA stores.

Those of you who own 22K -24k jewellery, do you mind sharing some pictures?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in the UK most wedding rings were made from 22ct gold until the 1950's, when 18ct became more popular & affordable.

This is my grandmothers 22ct gold wedding ring. She married in 1939 & I inherited the ring on my 16th birthday after her death. I wore it on my right hand & had never removed it until 7 years ago, which was when I passed it to my younger sister to use as her own wedding ring to save her buying an identical one with no family connection (she wanted old 22ct specifically to match with the date of her antique engagement ring). She has never removed it & here is a picture of her set.

This ring has been worn constantly for 82 years & has a beautiful patina & weight.

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
Here in the UK most wedding rings were made from 22ct gold until the 1950's, when 18ct became more popular & affordable.

This is my grandmothers 22ct gold wedding ring. She married in 1939 & I inherited the ring on my 16th birthday after her death. I wore it on my right hand & had never removed it until 7 years ago, which was when I passed it to my younger sister to use as her own wedding ring to save her buying an identical one with no family connection (she wanted old 22ct specifically to match with the date of her antique engagement ring). She has never removed it & here is a picture of her set.

This ring has been worn constantly for 82 years & has a beautiful patina & weight.

img_20150922_1.jpg

Wow…this is a truly touching story with such rich history. Thanks so much for sharing. The patina on the ring looks great and pairs well with the other ring.

I keep reading that 22k gold is “too soft” for everyday wear but then I see pictures like this and it just makes me wonder if most of those people are speaking from experience or what jewellers tell them.

My plan is to use mine specifically for special occasions and not everyday wear as I work in a physical job that would most definitely bend and scratch the ring and it’s also not advisable to wear any jewellery in my field of work.

I don’t have a picture, but my father wears his grandfather’s ring as his wedding ring (plain band, 22kt) and it’s held up perfectly fine despite being something like a hundred years old. 24kt is often problematic for jewelry - certainly for rings - but 22kt is just fine. Almost all traditional Indian jewelry is 22kt and they even set stones in 22kt without issue (though usually stones are ‘embedded’ in 22kt with the help of lac and 24kt gold), not prong-set/modern style.

if you want a plain/carved band, 22kt is fine. If you want a ring with a stone in it, 18kt is better.

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have a picture, but my father wears his grandfather’s ring as his wedding ring (plain band, 22kt) and it’s held up perfectly fine despite being something like a hundred years old. 24kt is often problematic for jewelry - certainly for rings - but 22kt is just fine. Almost all traditional Indian jewelry is 22kt and they even set stones in 22kt without issue (though usually stones are ‘embedded’ in 22kt with the help of lac and 24kt gold), not prong-set/modern style.

if you want a plain/carved band, 22kt is fine. If you want a ring with a stone in it, 18kt is better.

Thanks for sharing, this is quite reassuring for me. I have a few South Asian friends here in Canada and was discussing my ideas of purchasing a custom made ring in 14k and although they don’t wear jewellery themselves their parents do and they told me in India anything less than 22k is not even considered gold by many. That’s not how I feel but I understand it all has to do with different cultures.

I plan to just get a carved band and nothing with stones in it. My skin tone is pretty dark being an African American and the contrast of 22k is just really appealing for me.

Thanks for sharing, this is quite reassuring for me. I have a few South Asian friends here in Canada and was discussing my ideas of purchasing a custom made ring in 14k and although they don’t wear jewellery themselves their parents do and they told me in India anything less than 22k is not even considered gold by many. That’s not how I feel but I understand it all has to do with different cultures.

I plan to just get a carved band and nothing with stones in it. My skin tone is pretty dark being an African American and the contrast of 22k is just really appealing for me.

I’m Indian and I get the mentality! For me, personally, while I do have some stuff in 14kt it’s sort of equivalent to costume or fun jewelry for me, and it’s an pain getting a jeweler who will use it. 18kt is standard for “western style” jewelry, like an engagement ring or studs; and traditional Indian stuff is either 21kt or 22kt only. I don’t look down on lower-kt gold or anything, but you’re right that it’s a cultural thing. It’s also because in India labour costs are low, so jewelry - especially plain gold - is valued on the basis of their raw material cost. It’s like wearable cash.

To give you an example: a 4mm, 22kt gold ring weighing approx 5grams is available online from a “good” jeweler for $432 inclusive of tax. The cost of gold in that is $313 (excluding tax). Tax on jewelry in India is about 3.5%, so that’s around $13.6 in tax. Labour on that ring is some $105 and you can likely get that ring cheaper from your local guy, definitely during festive season when they slash labour cost.

Actually, searching further, I found another ring online which was a 3.7g 22kt ring containing a 0.04ct diamond. The whole ring inclusive of tax was priced at $290, with metal cost about $230, diamond about $1.8, and tax at $8.5; meaning labour is less than $50.

This is why most people go for higher kt jewelry as compared to the west.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
70C06CE2-8FE2-46D3-8C65-3DDC71B17A6F.jpeg

My 24k gold hoops, about 12mm! I love them to death! I’ve worn them 24/7 for the last 3 months. So comfy and no icky infections. Plus I feel so luxurious when I see the color!

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
I’m Indian and I get the mentality! For me, personally, while I do have some stuff in 14kt it’s sort of equivalent to costume or fun jewelry for me, and it’s an pain getting a jeweler who will use it. 18kt is standard for “western style” jewelry, like an engagement ring or studs; and traditional Indian stuff is either 21kt or 22kt only. I don’t look down on lower-kt gold or anything, but you’re right that it’s a cultural thing. It’s also because in India labour costs are low, so jewelry - especially plain gold - is valued on the basis of their raw material cost. It’s like wearable cash.

To give you an example: a 4mm, 22kt gold ring weighing approx 5grams is available online from a “good” jeweler for $432 inclusive of tax. The cost of gold in that is $313 (excluding tax). Tax on jewelry in India is about 3.5%, so that’s around $13.6 in tax. Labour on that ring is some $105 and you can likely get that ring cheaper from your local guy, definitely during festive season when they slash labour cost.

Actually, searching further, I found another ring online which was a 3.7g 22kt ring containing a 0.04ct diamond. The whole ring inclusive of tax was priced at $290, with metal cost about $230, diamond about $1.8, and tax at $8.5; meaning labour is less than $50.

This is why most people go for higher kt jewelry as compared to the west.

I really appreciate the detailed explanation. After doing some research myself I’m definitely going to buy a 22k ring from one of my local stores. The price there for 22k jewellery is just too good to pass on for such high purity. I remember paying $400 for a 1.5mm gold chain 2 years ago that weighed less than 3 grams. I’m sold on 22k now, not to say I won’t ever get lower karats 14k-18k but for the prices I just can’t pass.

Considering how much I was willing to pay for a 14k custom made ring, that could probably get me three 22k gold rings at the stores I visited yesterday. The jewellers were also really honest with me and told me if I ever decided to sell the pieces in the future the least amount I’d likely get for them.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
The jewelry we inherited from my Chinese MIL when she passed is all high-karat. You can see two of the rings in this photo. I adore the rich color, and the thick band, which if I recall is around 12g, has a gorgeous patina. I will say, the thinner, lighter rings are all quite out of round, so that is something to think about for thinner bands/rings. But if your plan is not to wear the rings daily, that likely won't be as big an issue for you.

20210628_184640.jpg

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
The jewelry we inherited from my Chinese MIL when she passed is all high-karat. You can see two of the rings in this photo. I adore the rich color, and the thick band, which if I recall is around 12g, has a gorgeous patina. I will say, the thinner, lighter rings are all quite out of round, so that is something to think about for thinner bands/rings. But if your plan is not to wear the rings daily, that likely won't be as big an issue for you.

20210628_184640.jpg

Gorgeous rings. I absolutely love the patina on those two higher karat rings in particular. The ring I plan on buying has quite a thick band but I still don’t think I’ll wear it daily.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am Chinese originated from Hong Kong, and I do not like high karat golds as they do not suit my skin tone.

I did not have many high karat gold jewellery when I was young, and the ones I did have I seldom wore as I somehow did not like them.

I had my colours analysed in my late 30s and confirmed what I already knew, in that white metals suited me more than yellow metals.

Therefore, much as I admire high karat gold jewellery, I shan't be buying let alone wear them.

DK :))

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of my family wear 22kt gold - the standard in my country of origin. It is malleable - for example, bracelets and necklaces are traditionally made with an S-shaped clasp that is pushed into position to close. However, I never see issues with the softness in everyday wear. Perhaps due to the design - pieces tend to be of generous weight, not the skinny designs that are in fashion in western jewellery at the moment. My father has worn a 22kt signet-type ring for many years, all day every day, and it's kept its shape perfectly. It's chunky though!

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
Lots of my family wear 22kt gold - the standard in my country of origin. It is malleable - for example, bracelets and necklaces are traditionally made with an S-shaped clasp that is pushed into position to close. However, I never see issues with the softness in everyday wear. Perhaps due to the design - pieces tend to be of generous weight, not the skinny designs that are in fashion in western jewellery at the moment. My father has worn a 22kt signet-type ring for many years, all day every day, and it's kept its shape perfectly. It's chunky though!

Just the type of comment I was hoping to read. I’m not set on the style as yet but I’m definitely going to go a bit chunky on the sizing so I don’t have to be too paranoid about it losing it’s shape.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
22 karat gold will inherently be weaker than 14 karat gold. Gold in its ‘pure’ 24 karat state is naturally very soft and malleable. Adding other metals makes it stronger and less ‘pure’
To strengthen higher karat weight gold, it is tempered in the jewellery making process. So as long your wedding ring is well made, it will stand the rest of time.
I too am a lover of 22 karat yellow gold. Here are my 22 karat yellow gold wedding earrings. They are super heavy and difficult to bend and hand made.
842A5903-B9C9-4F5A-8741-6F382878F623.jpeg

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
22 karat gold will inherently be weaker than 14 karat gold. Gold in its ‘pure’ 24 karat state is naturally very soft and malleable. Adding other metals makes it stronger and less ‘pure’
To strengthen higher karat weight gold, it is tempered in the jewellery making process. So as long your wedding ring is well made, it will stand the rest of time.
I too am a lover of 22 karat yellow gold. Here are my 22 karat yellow gold wedding earrings. They are super heavy and difficult to bend and hand made.
842A5903-B9C9-4F5A-8741-6F382878F623.jpeg

:kiss2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Here is a thread by @AGBF

There is a long thread lots of 22 and 24K pieces there.

cheers--Sharon

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I wear 22k jewelry everyday and so does my husband’s family. The wide band below has been worn everyday for the last 30 years. Some of the engraving is wearing off but otherwise is in pristine condition. The bracelet is worn everyday for 2 yrs. The thinner band was custom made by David Klass. Take note of the shade difference between the 2 rings - both in 22k. The color can vary based on alloy used 1DF718E9-0B13-47AE-9C98-D7A7DD9A7D52.jpeg F71F5C1E-E839-43C1-8029-97C3EEBA001C.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a band - the first photo is boring but shows the absolute crazy color of it. I wear it with my spinel (second photo ) and I had dk use a special “antique” yellow gold in 18k which is close but still can’t beat how *chefs kiss* this simple band is.
it’s my most worn item.
A34C2399-0705-4458-820C-3267BEB3717F.jpeg 9822EE29-491F-469A-A006-ABD75C4D81AC.jpeg 59A05F4C-F65A-4688-9A26-30BA585FAF75.jpeg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings look beautiful on you @Niel . Your collection of rings are all stunning. I love seeing your name pop up because I know what ever you are showing will be a showstopper.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings look beautiful on you @Niel . Your collection of rings are all stunning. I love seeing your name pop up because I know what ever you are showing will be a showstopper.

Aren’t you the sweetest. Thank you!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is DW's orangy pink tourmaline, with diamonds embedded in the 22K setting. We think the ring was most likely made somewhere in Asia.

Orangy Pink Tourmaline 2.jpg Orangy Pink Tourmaline 3.jpg

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
I wear 22k jewelry everyday and so does my husband’s family. The wide band below has been worn everyday for the last 30 years. Some of the engraving is wearing off but otherwise is in pristine condition. The bracelet is worn everyday for 2 yrs. The thinner band was custom made by David Klass. Take note of the shade difference between the 2 rings - both in 22k. The color can vary based on alloy used 1DF718E9-0B13-47AE-9C98-D7A7DD9A7D52.jpeg F71F5C1E-E839-43C1-8029-97C3EEBA001C.jpeg

I’m really liking all these ring pairing pictures. This ring has a beautiful patina after 30 years of wear and the wearing of the engraving is nothing compared to what I was led to believe it would look like previously. Beautiful bracelet as well!

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
This is DW's orangy pink tourmaline, with diamonds embedded in the 22K setting. We think the ring was most likely made somewhere in Asia.

Orangy Pink Tourmaline 2.jpg Orangy Pink Tourmaline 3.jpg

I absolutely love the colour on this one. The jeweller I’ll be buying from gas a slightly different shade to his 22k, although not by much but this is the shade I love the most. Homer Simpson got nothing on this shade right here!

The jeweller I’ll be working with has great prices on his pieces and only carries 22-24k. I’ve been noticing that Chinese 22-24k gold seems to have a slightly richer yellow tone than the pieces I’ve seen from India. At least based on pictures that I’ve seen.

Last edited:

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
My grandmother's 24k ring and bracelet.
band.jpg

I love the pairing and that’s a very unique ring design. It really draws your eyes to it and commands attention.

MasterMkombo

Shiny_Rock
I have a band - the first photo is boring but shows the absolute crazy color of it. I wear it with my spinel (second photo ) and I had dk use a special “antique” yellow gold in 18k which is close but still can’t beat how *chefs kiss* this simple band is.
it’s my most worn item.
A34C2399-0705-4458-820C-3267BEB3717F.jpeg 9822EE29-491F-469A-A006-ABD75C4D81AC.jpeg 59A05F4C-F65A-4688-9A26-30BA585FAF75.jpeg

Beautiful pairing and that spinel is absolutely mesmerizing!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the colour on this one. The jeweller I’ll be buying from gas a slightly different shade to his 22k, although not by much but this is the shade I love the most. Homer Simpson got nothing on this shade right here!

The jeweller I’ll be working with has great prices on his pieces and only carries 22-24k. I’ve been noticing that Chinese 22-24k gold seems to have a slightly richer yellow tone than the pieces I’ve seen from India. At least based on pictures that I’ve seen.

Some of the small embedded diamonds are pastel colours. This has me pretty much convinced the ring was hand made in India.

PS Homer is no relation! :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results