carat
color
clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
famke|1347997130|3270380 said:
FYI..... If and when the Company is moved to Redlands, CA ....you can basically kiss The Van Craeynest line as we know it,
GOOD-BYE.....without Larry ....the quality will definitely be compromised....soo, hang on to your original Die Struck pieces,
because they will be worth a fortune.

Famke and Love in Bloom, I do understand your concern because I was worried at first, but I believe you are wrong. Do you understand that Van Crayenest probably wouldn't have made it financially had they not been bought by Emerson and Farrar? Larry is in his 70's! He wasn't going to be able to work forever! But I do really feel for him because I know the changes must be hard for him.

I have spent some time communicating with Paul over the last week or two since I am thinking about having a ring made. He has told me that there will remain some rings die struck and a new line that is made specially cast but the finish (carving, etc.) will appear the same. This will allow some people to access VC who couldn't before AND hopefully allow the company to continue to exist! I'll be the first to tell you that when I was told the price of the little ring I wanted was over $4000 last year, I had to say no thanks! Now the price is down but the company is taking on the loss at this point.

Yes, it would be nice for the factory to stay the way it was and have Larry there forever, but that isn't possible. Too bad Larry didn't have a son with an MBA to take it over and bring it to a good financial standing. Those who love VC ought to be thanking Paul Emerson for saving Van Craeynest. I don't think he'd be pouring money in it if he didn't care to preserve the art. Have you spent time talking with Paul? Because I think he is doing what has to be done to keep VC afloat.

Famke, with just one post I am assuming you must be somehow connected to VC. Change is hard and I often resist it when it involves me, but usually things do work out for the best. I am so sorry for everyone who has concern.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1348005691|3270460 said:
Diamondseeker, your choice of ring is beautiful, really beautiful and goes with your band perfectly. But don't you all think its odd that all this beauty is reduced to numbers, like "484?" :lol: If so, they should be numbers like infinity, Pi, one and other unique numbers (then again, I guess every number is unique, isn't it?)

Well, thank you, minous! Infinity is a good number for VC pieces, I agree! :bigsmile: I am glad you like it with my band. Some people said they thought it was a little much which made me think I maybe should do a set like ksmom and just get VC bands to alternate. But I have loved the 484 for a long time, so that is the way I am leaning.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul, I will say that I have had concern over the prongs in the past. I think the current claw prongs are beautifully done.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
VanCraeynest|1348017651|3270591 said:
FYI..... If and when the Company is moved to Redlands, CA ....you can basically kiss The Van Craeynest line as we know it,
GOOD-BYE.....without Larry ....the quality will definitely be compromised....soo, hang on to your original Die Struck pieces,

Dear Van Craeynest fans,

There are more choices, better quality (zoom in on the claw prongs we do today vs what was done in the past 30 years) and more die struck pieces being produced today then in the past 10 years. Had I not bought VC today it would be shuttered.

We will always continue to produce die struck pieces.

This art is here to stay.

Paul Emerson II
Zealot
Van Craeynest

Nice try at making himself the hero, but I don't buy it. Read over his posts, he champions casting original VC designs using buzzwords: Better product, better prices, hybrids, made from master die-struck molds, blah blah blah. Then offers sugary syrup with his waffle. Look at the statement "We will always continue to produce die struck pieces." That doesn't mean all pieces produced will actually be die-struck. It's a not-so-forthright way of keeping his foot in the die-struck door (aka to keep from having to remove the die-struck rhetoric as a selling point when sending out cast pieces). Now all of a sudden he has a stance? That speaks volumes. He's just telling his potential customers what they want to hear.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

Dear Van Craeynest fans,

There are more choices, better quality (zoom in on the claw prongs we do today vs what was done in the past 30 years) and more die struck pieces being produced today then in the past 10 years. Had I not bought VC today it would be shuttered.

Paul Emerson II
Zealot
Van Craeynest

Rings bearing inaccurate karat stamps, orders more than a month overdue. These are sophomoric mistakes that have happened recently. The new owner couldn't successfully cast the VC designs because most if not all are not suitable for casting. He will likely never admit it, but he was planning on selling cast pieces without informing the public of the change in method of manufacture. That's the reason for the delay in orders: his plan failed. This is FACT, boys and girls. Also there was never any Argon vacuum casting at his disposal.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

Dear Van Craeynest fans,

Paul Emerson II
Zealot
Van Craeynest

Charging less for a ring is appealing to customers, but it is a cry for help (or a cry for street teamers, Diamondseeker?) when done at a loss. Furthermore, it's obvious from the machinery he's attempting to hock on the black market that he doesn't know the art or the machinery needed to execute it. He's desperate, also overzealous to actually succeed at the claims he's making here and now, if/when he moves the company. It's commendable when someone buys a company in attempt to save it, but that is not what is actually happening here.

famke

Rough_Rock
I must admit... I have collected VC pieces for the last 30 years or so .....and so I am not in the market to purchase
anything else at this time.....which brings me to the point of hanging on to what you have, because the quality may not
be the same....if that sounds like I am somehow connected to VC...then I am guilty as charged!!

Good luck and wear it well!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1348023668|3270657 said:

Famke and Love in Bloom, I do understand your concern because I was worried at first, but I believe you are wrong. Do you understand that Van Crayenest probably wouldn't have made it financially had they not been bought by Emerson and Farrar? Larry is in his 70's! He wasn't going to be able to work forever! But I do really feel for him because I know the changes must be hard for him.

I have spent some time communicating with Paul over the last week or two since I am thinking about having a ring made. He has told me that there will remain some rings die struck and a new line that is made specially cast but the finish (carving, etc.) will appear the same. This will allow some people to access VC who couldn't before AND hopefully allow the company to continue to exist! I'll be the first to tell you that when I was told the price of the little ring I wanted was over $4000 last year, I had to say no thanks! Now the price is down but the company is taking on the loss at this point.

Yes, it would be nice for the factory to stay the way it was and have Larry there forever, but that isn't possible. Too bad Larry didn't have a son with an MBA to take it over and bring it to a good financial standing. Those who love VC ought to be thanking Paul Emerson for saving Van Craeynest. I don't think he'd be pouring money in it if he didn't care to preserve the art. Have you spent time talking with Paul? Because I think he is doing what has to be done to keep VC afloat.

Famke, with just one post I am assuming you must be somehow connected to VC. Change is hard and I often resist it when it involves me, but usually things do work out for the best. I am so sorry for everyone who has concern.

Diamondseeker, I'm sorry for those who think the company has been saved! We should just agree to disagree, then. You were never an original customer save for a ring from eBay, which was obviously not purchased directly. It is good that you are satisfied with your communications with Paul II, you certainly seem to eat up what he says and savor every word. But your only concrete basis for comparison with the original company are prongs and, well....price. I think you are willing to ignore the waffling and sugar coating by Paul II because you have really wanted a VC set for a while, and feel it's affordable for you now. In that respect I am happy for you. As for me, I am a long time customer who is familiar with the original product. Yes, there were quirks with Larry and the prongs needed refinement. However you knew what you were getting with the original Van Craeynest company. The prospect of anyone who champions bastardized cast "hybrids" (he would if he could, but he can't, he's still working on it) under the VC name is appalling and to the contrary of the claim "We are the bearers of the torch, the protectors of VC art..." or any of Paul's other poetic hogwash.

Change is fine, I'm sure Paul II is mentally equipped business-wise. But he's is not even close to a craftsman or bench jeweler. That might work for a jewelry store business such as his in Redlands. Unfortunately his actions show me he lacks what is needed to understand and truly uphold a die-struck manufacturing business. Also the MBA/ Paul III idea seems nice too, but again, business sense does not equal staying true to the premise of a company, such as VC. Paul II's discussion here shows he wishes to take credit for upholding the premise of the company, but does not actually want to uphold it (if he can get away with it!).

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
It's exceedingly hard to swallow the idea that cast jewellery can be worked in the same ways as die-struck pieces to produce anything like the crisp sculpture of old VC . Make way for Beverley K mark II, in my opinion. Obviously VC were going under, (hence the way high prices of yesteryear) and a new model had to be found, but I was hoping they'd go in the direction of increased advertisement and/or modifying existing pieces to today's preferred true old styles (complex solitaires, essentially).

Good grief, the statements about all of this contradict something awful. I suppose one thing is certain, a move to Redlands would be the end of Larry's involvement and that, as they say, would be that. Must hurry and get in a last order :nono:

P.S. I'd love to know the cause of the willful ignorance, is it because I is saying I'm going to put in a last order? :confused:

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
famke|1348031528|3270702 said:
I must admit... I have collected VC pieces for the last 30 years or so .....and so I am not in the market to purchase
anything else at this time.....which brings me to the point of hanging on to what you have, because the quality may not
be the same....if that sounds like I am somehow connected to VC...then I am guilty as charged!!

Famke, I must admit I was suspicious of your one post too. Nice to meet you, I'm sure your collection of original VC pieces is amazing!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1348034858|3270707 said:
It's exceedingly hard to swallow the idea that cast jewellery can be worked in the same ways as die-struck pieces to produce anything like the crisp sculpture of old VC . Make way for Beverley K mark II, in my opinion. Obviously VC were going under, (hence the way high prices of yesteryear) and a new model had to be found, but I was hoping they'd go in the direction of increased advertisement and/or modifying existing pieces to today's preferred true old styles (complex solitaires, essentially).

Good grief, the statements about all of this contradict something awful. I suppose one thing is certain, a move to Redlands would be the end of Larry's involvement and that, as they say, would be that. Must hurry and get in a last order :nono:

P.S. I'd love to know the cause of the willful ignorance, is it because I is saying I'm going to put in a last order? :confused:

Aeolianarpa! :wavey:

LOL I put in my last orders before the company was sold, even bought some really great samples, so I totally get it :naughty:

I agree re: Beverly K mark II. Definitely nothing wrong with Beverly K, though it's not original VC. So unsettling to think of VC abandoning company techniques and history, essentially. Certainly not at Larry's request, but apparently that's not his call anymore. Good grief indeed, the "decision maker" needs to get his stories straight!

:( :shock: :???: :lol:

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
LiB! :appl:

Not sure I totally get it, Larry up until lately (last contact) has been swearing the work is still die-struck so I thought there was still time. What sayest thou?

Ah, there's nothing wrong with Bev K, it just doesn't do it for me heft-wise even though it looks good.

There's no calculating the loss artistically when the curtain comes down on this, though to be fair, it's nothing short of a miracle that a company doing things the grand old-fashioned way has survived this long. /silver lining At least it's happening when Larry is due to bow out sooner rather than later, though the equipment dispersal means it won't even end up in one museum somewhere. Here's hoping Stan and the gang can carry on with the craft somewhere :blackeye:

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1348039966|3270720 said:

Not sure I totally get it, Larry up until lately (last contact) has been swearing the work is still die-struck so I thought there was still time. What sayest thou?

Ah, there's nothing wrong with Bev K, it just doesn't do it for me heft-wise even though it looks good.

DITTO!

There's no calculating the loss artistically when the curtain comes down on this, though to be fair, it's nothing short of a miracle that a company doing things the grand old-fashioned way has survived this long. /silver lining At least it's happening when Larry is due to bow out sooner rather than later, though the equipment dispersal means it won't even end up in one museum somewhere. Here's hoping Stan and the gang can carry on with the craft somewhere :blackeye:

You are correct, new owner gave his best shot, TRIED to send silver models out for casting at multiple locations. The only way he knew how. They came back without any detail and so porous they we're unusable; failure. No Argon as he had lead people to believe. There were no die-striking sounds for the longest time because *gasp* it was forbidden while waiting on castings to arrive. What could be heard from the street and offices surrounding (on days Paul II was present) was the berating of jewelers including daily threats to fire Larry. Perhaps because the new owner knew casting would not work in this case, but hoped to somehow scare craftsmen into making his bad idea work... No joke. Somebody has a temper and the walls are quite thin! It's a good thing paramedics are near because said temper will probably precipitate a coronary. :errrr: Anyway, striking sounds have managed to continue, finally, after the failed casting attempt. The move, if it ever happens, will change that. A total loss artistically. But Paul II can still keep the Van Craeynest name for his little collection of Americana! :roll:

Also - silver lining indeed. It is amazing the company lasted this long. Larry probably doesn't think this way, but it will be interesting to see where equipment ends up. I highly doubt the new owner knows how to effectively move certain machinery himself without unknowingly destroying it. Larry could help. Heck he probably oversaw most of the machinery into the factory once upon a time ago. But if he's being treated badly, I could not blame Larry if he didn't want to...

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

DITTO!

You are correct, new owner gave his best shot, TRIED to send silver models out for casting at multiple locations. The only way he knew how. They came back without any detail and so porous they we're unusable; failure. No Argon as he had lead people to believe. There were no die-striking sounds for the longest time because *gasp* it was forbidden while waiting on castings to arrive. What could be heard from the street and offices surrounding (on days Paul II was present) was the berating of jewelers including daily threats to fire Larry. Perhaps because the new owner knew casting would not work in this case, but hoped to somehow scare craftsmen into making his bad idea work... No joke. Somebody has a temper and the walls are quite thin. It's a good thing paramedics are near because said temper will probably precipitate a coronary. :errrr: Anyway, striking sounds have managed to continue, finally, after the failed casting attempt. The move, if it ever happens, will change that. A total loss artistically. But Paul II can still keep the Van Craeynest name for his little collection of Americana! :roll:

Also - silver lining indeed. It is amazing the company lasted this long. Larry probably doesn't think this way, but it will be interesting to see where equipment ends up. I highly doubt the new owner knows how to effectively move certain machinery himself without unknowingly destroying it. Larry could help. Heck he probably oversaw most of the machinery into the factory once upon a time ago. But if he's being treated badly, I could not blame Larry if he didn't want to...

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
Love in Bloom|1348045171|3270728 said:

DITTO!

You are correct, new owner gave his best shot, TRIED to send silver models out for casting at multiple locations. The only way he knew how. They came back without any detail and so porous they we're unusable; failure. No Argon as he had lead people to believe. There were no die-striking sounds for the longest time because *gasp* it was forbidden while waiting on castings to arrive. What could be heard from the street and offices surrounding (on days Paul II was present) was the berating of jewelers including daily threats to fire Larry. Perhaps because the new owner knew casting would not work in this case, but hoped to somehow scare craftsmen into making his bad idea work... No joke. Somebody has a temper and the walls are quite thin. It's a good thing paramedics are near because said temper will probably precipitate a coronary. :errrr: Anyway, striking sounds have managed to continue, finally, after the failed casting attempt. The move, if it ever happens, will change that. A total loss artistically. But Paul II can still keep the Van Craeynest name for his little collection of Americana! :roll:

Dear Van Craeynest Fans,

LIB I am saddened at the level of misinformation being bantered about here. If you love Van Craeynest as you surely must. Stop for a moment and ask yourself what the truth is.
Will Van Craeynest offer cast pieces in the future? Yes. Will we also offer "vintage VC"? Yes we will. How will you be able to tell the difference? By how they are hallmarked. The cast line will be advertised as such and be laser engraved. Further it may contain die struck components.
This company VC has been running at a loss for the past six years. I have invested substantial assets into bringing it back. I will not abandon my commitment to VC art, quality or die striking. Moving out of San Francisco will save the company $150,000/year. That is the reason for the move. There isn't one piece of victorian era equipment necessary to manufacturing VC die struck pieces being left behind.
In this case change is necessary. It allows more people to own and enjoy VC. The alternative is unthinkable. The VC San Francisco Factory will close in four weeks. We will be closed for one week and reopen with die striking.

All the best,

Paul Emerson II
Van Craeynest

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1348034858|3270707 said:

Hi Aeolianarpa :wavey: You are not alone! I am thinking of putting in an order too, before they move.

I really wish I had known Larry earlier. He knew more advertisement was necessary, but didn't have the money to do so. He was quite surprised to hear that I wanted 558-large because it was never advertised or cataloged before. So I mentioned PriceScope and LIB to him, and encouraged him to learn to use a computer and the Internet.

I believe Larry is an honest craftsman, and would tell the truth about the manufacturing method used on the products that he delivered. The turnaround time for my band was about 2 weeks (from my initial contact with Larry, till I received the package), and he assured me it was 100% die-struck (i.e. cold forged).

I sincerely hope Larry can retire with dignity. And whatever happens to the equipment, I hope the VC craftsmen can carry on the art and tradition of die-striking. However, there are not many die-struck companies left in the world. The one company that I know of, Jabel, is doing a mixture of casting and die striking. They used to be, and probably still are, VC's competitor. Even though Jabel is still producing die-struck parts (or pieces), they no longer carve new dies because "it's too expensive to do". Last time I talked to them, they said they are trying to use as many existing die-struck parts as possible in a piece, e.g. use die-struck shank in rings for durability reason. But that's about it. All their new designs are cast. My best wishes to Stan and the other VC craftsmen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I know is that my potential ring will be made by die-striking and will be hand carved by the same craftsmen that carved those that have been bought in the last few years. It will have the traditional VC stamp because it is the SAME as the 484's have been for the last almost 100 years. It will be as good as any here.

I may have purchased my only piece thus far second hand, but I have spoken with Larry several times including last week. I have also spoken with Paul and have heard his explanation. He is not getting rid of the craftsmen who make the rings nor is he getting rid of the currently used die striking equipment. I just can't understand the hostility when we can still order die struck rings.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Everyone please avoid discussion in this thread. This thread is for showing photos of Van Craeynest items only from members on the forum. Please use it for only that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1348082450|3271115 said:
Everyone please avoid discussion in this thread. This thread is for showing photos of Van Craeynest items only from members on the forum. Please use it for only that.

Thank you. I hope you will allow me to say that I was not the one who reported this thread, just for the record.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
famke|1348031528|3270702 said:

Welcome to PriceScope! :wavey: I hope you will post pictures of your collection since that is what this thread is for! I will never have a collection as extensive as most of you, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the art and enjoy seeing your pictures!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
My new ring from Van Craeynest. I am so pleased with this lovely ring; to find a dainty setting that looks good in yellow gold (it looks stunning in platinum too) and also looks good with a small diamond, is lovely, as an easy to wear everyday ring. Of course all the fine detail is equisite, but I also love how it provides texture to the ring as it showcases the central diamond.

I'd like to thank Paul Emerson who was so knowledgable, easy and helpful to work with. Also thanks to Lang Antiques who supplied the diamond, which Paul thought may be as high as a D colour and has a VS2 clarity. It is a .5 carat. It seems to turn an icy blue out in the strong sun as it fires flashes of colour.

dsc00003_sep_23.jpg

dsc00009_sep_23.jpg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Some more pictures....

dsc00022_sep_23.jpg

dsc00024_sep_23.jpg

dsc00026_sep_23.jpg

dsc00029_sep_23.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is just gorgeous, Polished!!! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1348495460|3273609 said:
Your ring is just gorgeous, Polished!!! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Oh, I agree!!! Absolutely stunning! :love: :love: :love:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished, your ring is gorgeous! I love it paired with that band, it looks to compliment it perfectly!

Aaaand, we are kinda (fraternal) ring twins - mine just arrived and it is the same style, with a (just under) half carat, but in platinum! I was debating between yellow gold and plat, so I can't tell you how excited I was to see your ring. When I want that yg fix I'll come back here to ogle it! :))

I love and adore this ring more and more the more I wear it. It just continues to bring joy with all of it's details and sparkle. I took some not-so-great iphone pics that don't do it justice, but here they are anyway.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, pic was posting sideways for a bit there... hopefully this one works better. Left hand shot...

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one! Side shot - I find the details to be so poetic!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much diamondseeker and junebug - VC really does create little works of art - fine detail, but with an eye for composition that gives the piece its overall beauty.

rainydaze - what a thrill to come on here and see you have just acquired the same ring in platinum. Good timing. Yours looks beautiful. and you're right the details are poetic - from the side there is the flow and shape of glaciers with sculpted mountains and carved out valleys - as one fan might say to another! Right now I'm envying your icier setting! Yes, I think I'll keep the plain yellow band with it, I'm happy with the look. It's heightened my enjoyment to know someone else is enjoying this ring at the same time as me.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pieces!
I only have one piece, in platinum. I love yellow gold, but I was worried for the carvings in terms of loss of metal over time. I had my platinum one send back for recarving since the bottom had gotten worn, and it came back looking stunning, though you can still tell a difference in height if you look closely. The flowers on the bottom of the band are detailed, but not as "tall" as the flowers in the front.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1348529141|3273960 said:
Polished, your ring is gorgeous! I love it paired with that band, it looks to compliment it perfectly!

Aaaand, we are kinda (fraternal) ring twins - mine just arrived and it is the same style, with a (just under) half carat, but in platinum! I was debating between yellow gold and plat, so I can't tell you how excited I was to see your ring. When I want that yg fix I'll come back here to ogle it! :))

I love and adore this ring more and more the more I wear it. It just continues to bring joy with all of it's details and sparkle. I took some not-so-great iphone pics that don't do it justice, but here they are anyway.

rainy!!! What an amazing coincidence! I love it in platinum, too!!! :love: :appl:

Gosh, I am going to have to admit that I really like these settings with small to medium size diamonds. That is my fear about getting a larger stone (if it ever comes in!).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results