clarity

show me cads and finished product

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1398551250|3660843 said:
minousbijoux|1398547541|3660787 said:
Andelain|1398536651|3660663 said:
It boggles my mind how some CADs can look so unlike the finished product, but some like mine could be mistaked for the real thing. I even once posted a CAD as the real, until I paid closer atention and fixed it.

I so totally agree with this! So many people start with CADs that don't start by looking like the finished product. I am so impressed with the courage of members to have CAD's made, and have faith that they will be able to spot all the idiosyncrasies or problems of the piece, before it is actually made. My fear is that I would miss something of fail to interpret something correctly and wouldn't like the end product...I'd be curious to know how often that happens.

Niel, I appreciate the fact that you started this thread as eye candy and I'm not trying to threadjack. I came to look here because I so admire everyone who undertakes the CAD process and for whom the end result is a winner. :praise:

I know what you mean. But any time i went custom was because i couldn't find what i wanted pre made. So do you buy something thats not at all what you wanted, or something thats very close to what you wanted, but with a few things you hadn't envisioned, KWIM? I have very broad scoping ideas of what i want, which i know is different than many here. If it gets close to my overall vision, id be willing to forgive some slight differences, chalk it up to artistic license.

I can totally understand the people saying that they wouldn't want to pay for a ring without knowing EXACTLY what it'll look like beforehand though.

No worries, i didn't think this was threadjacking at ::) I have a colored stone cad to contribute but as its not finished ill hold off until then.

Niel, I agree with you about wanting to know EXACTLY what the piece of jewelry would look like before its made. I wasn't saying I was against CADs, just that they scare me because of my own doubts that I would be able to see all the tweaks and revisions necessary to take it from just a pretty ring to a work of art, you know? I admire anyone who has gone through the process because I just have not been able to screw up the courage to do so yet - that's all I was really trying to say. And I hear you about not being able to find just what you want and therefore needing to go custom - I imagine that is why the great majority do it. :))

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1398632211|3661383 said:
Thanks for linking and I followed the ensuing links to your final piece. Absolutely wonderful! I want to do a completely original piece some day. It seems infinitely gratifying when you look at it if you designed it yourself from the thought to fruition.

Thank you. And you're right, it is so gratifying. One a way that if I had to explain it, you wouldn't understand, but I think many folks here do understand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398665186|3661646 said:
Niel, I agree with you about wanting to know EXACTLY what the piece of jewelry would look like before its made. I wasn't saying I was against CADs, just that they scare me because of my own doubts that I would be able to see all the tweaks and revisions necessary to take it from just a pretty ring to a work of art, you know?

I will definitely agree with this! It is gratifying, as Ande said, to know that you can get exactly what you want.

But... me, it took some time and a couple of experiences to learn what I actually want, exactly! And that's a double-edged sword - once you've identified nuances and minutiae you feel strongly about they become details that you actually notice and nitpick over... that's when translation from CAD to product becomes critical, IMO. Butterflies took two iterations to model to my tastes (both with WF); my five-stone trellis took two iterations (Canera and DBL). My mum's ring (WF) was exactly what I'd hoped for first time 'round but it wasn't really "custom", just a slight modification of an existing design. My RDG is the only truly unique, truly one-of-a-kind design I own, and that piece is Mike R.'s brainchild, not mine!

There is, I think, definite value in not being the guinea pig for a design, depending on priorities, timelines, potential expenses, etc. There is also no denying that it can be very rewarding, if circumstances warrant it, but I've learnt to see it as a 'last resort' for when what I want just isn't available pre-made...

J-Mum-1.png

mumring2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like CADs because I can see the end result and get it altered before the bench actually makes the ring. That said, CAD is only a software tool; it is the finish that counts the most. I've had to cancel projects where the CAD looks great but the end result wasn't as nice because the bench could not finish the ring up to the level that I expected.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398699758|3661848 said:
I like CADs because I can see the end result and get it altered before the bench actually makes the ring. That said, CAD is only a software tool; it is the finish that counts the most. I've had to cancel projects where the CAD looks great but the end result wasn't as nice because the bench could not finish the ring up to the level that I expected.

This is what I fear the most. And when this happens, what are you on the hook for financially? By that time, they must have devoted considerable time to the project, so what are you expected to pay for a misguided effort?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398703383|3661893 said:

This is what I fear the most. And when this happens, what are you on the hook for financially? By that time, they must have devoted considerable time to the project, so what are you expected to pay for a misguided effort?

It depends on the jeweller. The one I worked with was extremely generous and refunded me ALL my money. I think the most common scenario is that the customer has no recourse (pays the agreed upon sum). Some jewellers have an agreement that they will do a second CAD/cast for free or re-do until the customer is satisfied. This is why it is extremely important to see other completed work done by the jeweller to gauge if the finish meets your expectations.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398703759|3661898 said:

It depends on the jeweller. The one I worked with was extremely generous and refunded me ALL my money. I think the most common scenario is that the customer has no recourse (pays the agreed upon sum). Some jewellers have an agreement that they will do a second CAD/cast for free or re-do until the customer is satisfied. This is why it is extremely important to see other completed work done by the jeweller to gauge if the finish meets your expectations.

So are you saying that worst case scenario, there are some jewelers who would make you pay full cost for something you were not satisfied with? Wow, just wow. :-o I can understand why it pays to do your due diligence!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
For my three stone, I did ask for CAD's even tho Single Stone doesn't use them, to ease my mind about what it would look like. I'd not been able to find a picture of a bezeled three stone cushion ring, so it was very helpful to see just the rudimentary green on the black graph type CAD's.

For my semi bezel chrysoberyl ring, she made a wax and sent me pictures, and it needed to be tweaked just one time. That one was a little harder to imagine as a finished product looking at the green wax and trying to picture silver/yellow gold in its place.

I don't have pictures on the laptop, so none of that is helpful...just blathering I guess while I wait for supper to finish cooking.

IceIceLady

Rough_Rock
My custom engagement ring from Whiteflash.

_326.png

my_ring____.png

custom-petite-inspired-diamond-engagement-ring-in-18k-white-gold-by-whiteflash_36542_g2.jpg

custom-petite-inspired-diamond-engagement-ring-in-18k-white-gold-by-whiteflash_36542_f2.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1398697575|3661827 said:
minousbijoux|1398665186|3661646 said:
Niel, I agree with you about wanting to know EXACTLY what the piece of jewelry would look like before its made. I wasn't saying I was against CADs, just that they scare me because of my own doubts that I would be able to see all the tweaks and revisions necessary to take it from just a pretty ring to a work of art, you know?

I will definitely agree with this! It is gratifying, as Ande said, to know that you can get exactly what you want.

But... me, it took some time and a couple of experiences to learn what I actually want, exactly! And that's a double-edged sword - once you've identified nuances and minutiae you feel strongly about they become details that you actually notice and nitpick over... that's when translation from CAD to product becomes critical, IMO. Butterflies took two iterations to model to my tastes (both with WF); my five-stone trellis took two iterations (Canera and DBL). My mum's ring (WF) was exactly what I'd hoped for first time 'round but it wasn't really "custom", just a slight modification of an existing design. My RDG is the only truly unique, truly one-of-a-kind design I own, and that piece is Mike R.'s brainchild, not mine!

There is, I think, definite value in not being the guinea pig for a design, depending on priorities, timelines, potential expenses, etc. There is also no denying that it can be very rewarding, if circumstances warrant it, but I've learnt to see it as a 'last resort' for when what I want just isn't available pre-made...

J-Mum-1.png

The bolded part above. Since I have done custom a few times now I can say my later projects were much more sucessful then any of the first as I have a better understand of what vendors can do and the level of work they put into the ring after casting. And I also feel to some extent that the CAD is a crutch. With some vendors you get EXACTLY what the CAD looks like as an end result, but they miss so much in the finish work that the small stuff really bothers me. You can tell what wasn't done or what the vendor really skimmed over in details. And with other vendors the CAD just looks like crap (sorry but Singlestone would be in this category for me), but their finish details are amazing.
And Yssie I agree with custom being your last resort. I wish that was a lesson I learned a few years ago. I really think it is better to go with a design that allows for smaller tweaks vs 100% custom.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Minous I am with you, the whole process is much too strenuous for me to try! I prefer to buy a totally finished piece. I have never attempted custom.

I am really chuckling at all the attempts in this thread to control the content of this thread. You can't control threads. And you shouldn't try! That goes for OPs and everyone else too. When someone' tries to control a thread it always goes south fast. And then it becomes boring because people don't want to jump into the conversation for fear of being suppressed. I don't personally think that it's wrong to thread jack any threads either. Anyone care to list their favourite threads? I bet most have more than their share of tangents, and then there is something for everyone. More opinions the better.

Now, I think I win the post count Olympics, so unless the drama draws out the real veterans to knock some real sense into everyone -- and I don't think this thread will do that because this topic is far to tame -- then everyone should just ditto me one million times and then return to their regularly scheduled programming -- sharing and enjoying the topic at hand in WHATEVER WAY they like ! pics, ooh aahs, long educational posts. ItS all good and it's what makes PS great.

Of course I just broke my own rule by trying to control this thread :lol: but I can do that because I have over 25000 posts :rodent: :tongue: :rodent:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Minouse and other scardies like me, this is how I always tried to envision the finished product. Good old paper cut outs. Sorry, no after pics... I cancelled the project and the vendor (aka me) did not charge me for all her work cutting them out!!

For those of you who did the process in addition to posting your pics I would love to know if you thought things turned out like you wanted and I would love to know how you got the balls to go forward and dive into the unknown with custom!

_17491.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1398756472|3662484 said:
Minous I am with you, the whole process is much too strenuous for me to try! I prefer to buy a totally finished piece. I have never attempted custom.

I am really chuckling at all the attempts in this thread to control the content of this thread. You can't control threads. And you shouldn't try! That goes for OPs and everyone else too. When someone' tries to control a thread it always goes south fast. And then it becomes boring because people don't want to jump into the conversation for fear of being suppressed. I don't personally think that it's wrong to thread jack any threads either. Anyone care to list their favourite threads? I bet most have more than their share of tangents, and then there is something for everyone. More opinions the better.

Now, I think I win the post count Olympics, so unless the drama draws out the real veterans to knock some real sense into everyone -- and I don't think this thread will do that because this topic is far to tame -- then everyone should just ditto me one million times and then return to their regularly scheduled programming -- sharing and enjoying the topic at hand in WHATEVER WAY they like ! pics, ooh aahs, long educational posts. ItS all good and it's what makes PS great.

Of course I just broke my own rule by trying to control this thread :lol: but I can do that because I have over 25000 posts :rodent: :tongue: :rodent:

I bow down to you as your post count is far superior to mine Dreamer 8) :D

And I miss StoneCold, that is an older timer that I truly wish would come back. Even now I find I look up his posts for something he said if I had a question.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1398757608|3662490 said:

Far superior to mine, too :bigsmile:
I shall do exactly as commanded, O Great One!
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1398766393|3662520 said:
SB621|1398757608|3662490 said:

Far superior to mine, too :bigsmile:
I shall do exactly as commanded, O Great One!
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto...

Thritto
Thritto

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398703759|3661898 said:

I cancelled a project because the CADs didn't meet my expectations and I couldn't get it right. I paid the CAD design fee even though a part of me didn't think I should .. but I did anyway.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wrong person! You all should bow down to me, a geriatric 10 year veteran with a chatty 28K post count. :devil: :bigsmile:

On topic, like Charmy, I've also cancelled a project at the CAD stage because after 2 or 3 revisions, it never moved any closer to what I had in mind, so I paid the CAD fee and moved on. The vendor still needs to be paid for their time so I think that's fair. I tend to go custom rather than off the shelf because I like something a little different (some elements from here, some elements from there) and most coloured stones look better when the setting is built specially for them compared to diamonds, which tend to have standard or calibrated measurements.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1398757291|3662488 said:
Minouse and other scardies like me, this is how I always tried to envision the finished product. Good old paper cut outs. Sorry, no after pics... I cancelled the project and the vendor (aka me) did not charge me for all her work cutting them out!!

For those of you who did the process in addition to posting your pics I would love to know if you thought things turned out like you wanted and I would love to know how you got the balls to go forward and dive into the unknown with custom!

Excellent! I like this vendor and may have to use them if they are still around. :wink2:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank for this thread Niel!!
You are all so brave. I would be a nervous wreck working with CADS. Starting a custom handforged no CAD project and then let go seems so much easier :oops: However, I have had two handforged projects with a very unhappy ending where a CAD could have warned me...

Keep the projects coming ladies :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results