shape
carat
color
clarity

Should the HCA be disregarded if there is an ideal scope image?

akulashark

Rough_Rock
Two diamonds below. Diamond one has an HCA of 2.3 with "looks like" average face up and diamond 2 has an HCA of 1.4 with "looks like" Big face up. However, ideal scope of the diamond One looks slightly better to me although its HCA value is higher than 2 probably because of the high CA and a PA that is not low enough to compensate for the high CA. But all I have learnt so far on this site is to reject a diamond with more than 2 HCA, but the ideal scope doesn't look like a reject to me. Also not to mention that its a James Allen True hearts diamond with an HCA of 2.3 . I have both of them reserved and wondering which is a better buy or better choice. Also, Diamond one and two are both about the same price but Diamond one has med blue florescence with J color. Details and the diamonds are below. Which is one is better in terns of sparkle and face up appearance with respect to carat weight.

Diamond One
2.25 J VS2 True Hearts diamond at James Allen
HCA 2.3 average
Table 57
depth 62.1
CA 35
PA 41
med blue florescence
IMG_2109.jpg

Diamond Two
2.15 J VS2 (not True Hearts but still a James Allen diamond)
HCA 1.4 Big
Table 59
depth 61.2
CA 34
PA 40.8
Faint Florescence
IMG_2108.jpg

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond 2 IS image shows a lot of twist in the pavilion which the HCA does not account for because it cant. Its a rejection tool to narrow down a list to get more information like images.
So in this case the image does override the good hca score.

Diamond 1 does it have a gia report?
If so the gross gia rounding of the numbers can account for the difference in the hca and the image.
In this case the image does override the hca the other way.
Post the heart image also please since h&a is claimed.

akulashark

Rough_Rock
Diamond 2 IS image shows a lot of twist in the pavilion which the HCA does not account for because it cant. Its a rejection tool to narrow down a list to get more information like images.
So in this case the image does override the good hca score.

Diamond 1 does it have a gia report?
If so the gross gia rounding of the numbers can account for the difference in the hca and the image.
In this case the image does override the hca the other way.
Post the heart image also please since h&a is claimed.

Thank you, you explained it really well, below is the hearts image and also another Arrow IS image of diamond 1. Yes it has a GIA report which is also attached below. So if I understand it correctly you are not liking diamond 2 at all but diamond 1 has some potential?

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.35.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.19.16 PM.png

IMG_1990.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So if I understand it correctly you are not liking diamond 2 at all but diamond 1 has some potential?
I can not answer that question in those terms per the rules.
I dont like what the images show for diamond #2
The awesome prosumers here can help you further.

akulashark

Rough_Rock
I appreciate your replies. In the diamond one IS images do you see anything you don’t like? What about the CA of 35 and PA of 41 is that something also to be looked at before the images as a rejection tool? And the images take precedence over numbers? Or is that something that makes the diamond sparkle less as it’s a high crown angle and not being off set by a lower PA. And the medium florescence in Diamond 1 could that make the diamond less appealing?
Thanks again you have been a great resource.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA rounds then averages then grossly rounds the numbers.
crown nearest .5
pavilion nearest .2
Whatever the actual number the IS says they work.
To make it even more complicated the backlight used in the IS image is over bright making it harder to interpret.
We are used to it and can compensate.
Images win and the combo works.

med. fl is generally not a concern

akulashark

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot. Your replies have been very informative. I really appreciate you taking the time for all the explanations.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think both of them are passes. I'm more forgiving here than most other PSers, but these both have a lot of light leakage IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results