shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade my setting?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
04FA6D3C-7B3C-4631-B8D7-7D338E77AC6B.jpeg 5C0A35A6-D213-453E-B23D-5D12D6B7A36A.jpeg 0851C4DF-FBD4-43D6-8814-238E2654A5AE.jpeg
I just got an antique moval diamond engagement ring. It's currently set in platinum solitare but my lovely fiance said I could upgrade to any setting. I'm thinking of a 3-row pave, so you get the big flashes of fire from the antique chunky facets of the center stone balanced with small flashes of fire from the setting.

What do you think? Prefer the classic solitaire look or upgrade?

Also included a mockup of the upgraded setting from my jeweler (the setting picture is not my actual diamond but a mock-up based on its dimensions).

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, your moval is one of the most gorgeous diamonds I've ever seen! :geek2:

I think the plain solitaire is timeless, classy, and effortlessly elegant, while the pave shank has a more "fabulous" look. Either would be beautiful! For myself, I prefer plain shanks for solitaires...especially for big, gorgeous honkers like yours because it allows the stone to really POP, but more than anything it's about what gives *you* joy when you look down at your hand. :P2

If you stick with the plain shank, you could always bling it up via pave eternity bands or a ring enhancer with sparkly sidestones.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I personally would do a band with a single row of pave, to keep it more delicate. Your stone is gorgeous! Absolutely jaw dropping. What are the stats? Your ring size? It’s perfect on your hand too, just all around spectacular.

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much, @SouthernElle! Good idea on the more delicate band!!

It's a G, VS1, 2.18 carat on 5.5 size hand but the table is large for the size.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
What about a band with engraving instead of pave? A three sided pave band is not going to be low maintenance and might rub at a wedding band. Engraving would be more of a vintage look too.

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
I hadn't thought about that, great idea @elizat! Thank you!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Here are two more cents fwiw .... I wouldn't mix your stone with its antique look and 3 sided pave (which I think looks more trendy/modern). May not bother you now but it might as you see more setting and possibilities. I'd keep it in its classic setting for a while longer and look at lots of options ...you may also want to consider what band you will get and how it will all work together as a set. Good luck!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a glorious stone! Congratulations! Your fiancé has wonderful taste, and I wouldn’t change a thing, it’s perfect! :love:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I wouldn't change a thing either. Your ring looks perfect to me! But if you really wanted to change something I agree with @elizat that engraving would be beautiful!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t change anything about it...It’s absolutely a gorgeous diamond. I wouldn’t want to have the setting take away from that firecracker! I agree with the others that you can stack with blingy bands to get some extra sparkle..

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Don't do 3 side pave because it's high maintenance and means you can't ever wear a wedding band, which is kind of a bummer.
Oooh, thanks for the tip! I hadn't realized you couldn't stack with 3 sided pave but it makes sense! Thank you!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Gor-jus! :love:
I agree that it’s perfect as is but a couple of pave bands will bling it up when you want more sparkle. Just be careful you don’t blind yourself :lol-2:.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Oh helz no.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, thanks for the tip! I hadn't realized you couldn't stack with 3 sided pave but it makes sense! Thank you!
If you really want that look, you could put a spacer band between the two. Then that band takes the beating and not your wedding band.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Another vote to stack with bling bands!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your stone! If I were to change anything about your setting, I’d switch to six or eight prongs rather than four. Four to me looks weirdly unbalanced on a moval, whereas six can really emphasize the shape, and I’m having heart palpitations imagining how little movement in the prongs would cause your stone to be lost. But then - I’m always a “the more prongs the better” person.

I think the plain-band solitaire is classic, but understand the love of blingy bands too... try on some diamond bands with your ring and see if you are satisfied with that or would like everything to sparkle.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the great advice, @KristyDarling ! Good point about accenting it with bands :)

For fun I'm sharing a video I took this morning in the elevator fluorescent lighting... I get so distracted by it all the time!
OMG its perfect the way it is :appl:
:lickout:
edit
except the prong thing like distracts said

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond, I like it as it is too. As others have said I wouldn’t mix that cut with 3 sided pace which is very obviously modern and blingy. It would look lovely in a more antique inspired setting.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Here are two more cents fwiw .... I wouldn't mix your stone with its antique look and 3 sided pave (which I think looks more trendy/modern). May not bother you now but it might as you see more setting and possibilities. I'd keep it in its classic setting for a while longer and look at lots of options ...you may also want to consider what band you will get and how it will all work together as a set. Good luck!
This is great advice!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Also... the ring is GORGEOUS! Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results