shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I trust the GemEx rating of a Leo diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Riko

Rough_Rock
I have been wearing and looking at a Leo diamond for several days after picking it with my fiance together at Kay. I like its brillence in a sunny day, but I just feel that it does not perform so well with indoor light, just not shiny enough.
I got a certificate together with the purchase, with an IGI rating: dolor:I, Clarity: VS2, polish/symmetry Good/Good, 0.52 ct, and a GemEx rated brillance:very high, Fire:high,Scitilation: very high. I don''t know much about diamonds. Should I trust the GemEx?

agc

Shiny_Rock
Riko,

Why don''t you just trust your eyes. In the end YOU have to be happy with your diamond...... You will be wearing your diamond and not your GemEx report on your finger. :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

I think you can do better. It sounds like you might have been pulled in by the "miracle" of jewelry store lighting, so you got a stone that looks nice in direct light but not so good in diffused light. There are several other issues I can see with your stone right off the bat:
1) An IGI I/VS2 may be closer to a GIA or AGS J-K/SI1-SI2, so you're not really getting what you paid for.
2) Look for very good or excellent polish/symmetry rather than just good.
3) I think Leo diamonds are overpriced, since they have the Leo brand name, and you can definitely get a better stone for the money (and perhaps bigger!). I would try to stay away from Kay or other mall stores, which tend to be overpriced and of lower quality.
4) You don't seem to love it!

I'm not sure how much you and your fiance paid for the Leo, maybe $2000 or so? This stone at GOG might be a nice choice for you instead.

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
I originally purchased a Helzberg Diamonds Radiant Star for an engagement ring (145 facet, 1.40 ct, I1, G color, cushion cut)--It too had a GemEx report included which rated the diamond Very High on all three levels of brillance, scintillation, and fire. I must admit that it was a beautiful ring and the diamond sparkled like crazy even in the DARK! However, after closer inspection I was able to detect a black inclusion (carbon spot) with the naked eye that just did not sit well with me due to the price we were paying for it ($9,900). I am glad we put it on layaway because it allowed me to continue browsing other ring designs, diamonds, prices, etc.

Here is the original thread which includes photos (they unfortunately don''t show nearly how sparkly the diamond was)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/in-search-of-my-perfect-e-ring.87250/

However, I would go with the previous poster and tell you to go with your eyes and your heart. If it doesn''t feel right--then it probably ISN''T!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Riko

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot. The ring cost $2299 plus tax/insurence. We are actually going to return it and look for a H&A instead. We were just ignorent when we picked the Leo.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fairly typical of extra facet rounds in smaller sizes.
The virtual facets get to small to be as effective in indirect lighting.
In direct lighting(spot, sunlight) they can be fine but indoor and in particular CFT lighting they aren't the best.
The B-scope compares diamonds in direct lighting.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I decided it was time to get me a nice set a wedding rings for our first year being married. I never trusted the mom and pop places,I want to know where my diamonds came from and exactly what I was getting. We chose the Leo diamond. I wanted VS clarity but Kay's said they would have to order it and it could take 4 months!! so we decided to go with SI1,I color which is still a great stone and we will upgrade in a few years. You can hardly tell the difference between SI and VS unless you compare them one on one at the same time(unless your an expert).

Engagement- ring is a 3/4 carat round mod brilliant solitaire SI1,I color. Very good polish
Enhancer(band)= 4 round mod brilliant stones =3/4 carat SI1, I color . Good Polish

Total Carat weight is around 1.44-1.50

TOTAL Price 6,200 for both rings not including tax and dipping service

3 months now and here is my opinion.

Are they over priced? Yes

Are all diamonds over priced? yes

Could I get a bigger diamond for less money? yes

I think that ALL stores selling jewelery use lighting to their advantage!! but they don't let you take the ring outside and have a look before buying. Diamonds are going to sparkle better in certain lights. If you think about it its the same as owning a coach or Dooney handbag.

Is the Quality better? Maybe a little

Are you paying for name brand? yes

I think the leo diamond is a beautiful stone. I think other sparkle just as much or more but I don't need the best stone in the world. Here is what I like about the Leo

My diamonds are under warranty for life
Any repairs or lost stones are free for life
When my fingers start getting bigger I get free resizing. If I have it sized to a 5 and a week later I think I need a 5 and a half. Bring it in.. its free
6 month re dipping white gold FREE

I paid more for a name brand but I am comfortable with my coverage for such a large purchase. I think the 6 month inspection are important. If you are going to spend thousands of dollars. Bringing them in to get looked at it a very wise thing. I am also comfortable with knowing where my diamonds came from and also knowing that an experienced diamond cutter was behind the wheel. As far as Gem Ex goes. My stones are certified and maybe not by the best grading scale but they are certified and laser with a id number so if stolen, I have a much better chance of being reunited. There are a lot worse choices to make when picking diamonds. Leo's have all the important features of a protected investment.

I hope my long answer helped all you in question on the Leo. Its up each person.I wanted reassurance and protection and that's what I got

Here is a link to my rings

http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|40823700|15052|15052.15060

040823700_O_TB.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Just so you''ll know, if your diamond is stolen that laser inscription will do absolutely nothing for you to help you be "reunited" with it.

There isn''t any nationwide database that looks or scans for inscriptions. Once that diamond leaves in a thief''s pocket you can kiss it goodbye. Not only will the police not beat the bushes looking for your ring, a laser inscription is easily polished away.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A laser inscription is best suited to assist the owner in re-identification of their diamond. It is far from counterfeit-proof and not high technology in terms of getting back a lost or stolen diamond. However, if a diamond is recovered from a theft the owner of it could pretty much rely upon the laser inscription in assuring themselves the recovered diamond was their original stone. In case you leave a diamond with a jeweler for a repair, the inscription will help you recognize the diamond as your own when you go to pick up the repaired item. It isn't a prefect method, but helpful.

As far as Gemex being relaible or useful, I think we all believe it has some degree of relevance in describing better diamonds and as a way to separate these better diamonds from less well cut ones. However, your eyes are what are important. You would never rely upon a Gemex report enough to buy a diamond you believed was ugly or a poor performer. I doubt such an instance would happen, but your eyes and mind are currently the ultimate discrimination tool in this regard. All the technology offered is only a guide to avoiding obvious errors. Even the most sophisticated modelling and measuring of light performance is close to pure enough science to be totally repeatable, sufficiently consistent and subjectively accurate in grading. Still, even in view of the science involved, the trade still considers the eyes and mind of each individual to reign supreme in the process of deciding what diamond they personally prefer. I think it is good to promote this individualistic methodolgy on top of giving consumers relevant data via various scientific or visually interpreted devices.

There are many variations on the Leo cut within the brand. Not every stone is identical accross the board. You can get one which performs better than another, yet you are free to reject one and select one you prefer. That is why shopping thouroughly should be part of the game plan.

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
Nobody is promised to get your rings back but say the thief tries to pawn them. By law the Pawn Shop has to check to see of that number is on the reported stolen list.If they don''t and they get caught then they will be in trouble Yes it protects you from switching diamonds

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2008 12:53:41 AM
Author: SandraPaneczko
My diamonds are under warranty for life
Any repairs or lost stones are free for life
When my fingers start getting bigger I get free resizing. If I have it sized to a 5 and a week later I think I need a 5 and a half. Bring it in.. its free
6 month re dipping white gold FREE

I paid more for a name brand but I am comfortable with my coverage for such a large purchase. I think the 6 month inspection are important. If you are going to spend thousands of dollars. Bringing them in to get looked at it a very wise thing. I am also comfortable with knowing where my diamonds came from and also knowing that an experienced diamond cutter was behind the wheel. As far as Gem Ex goes. My stones are certified and maybe not by the best grading scale but they are certified and laser with a id number so if stolen, I have a much better chance of being reunited. There are a lot worse choices to make when picking diamonds. Leo's have all the important features of a protected investment.

Good Luck, Hope you never have any problems with your ring from Kays..you will need all the luck you can get if you do...(and the BBB)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS...its not FREE, you pay for a warranty that expires if you miss your 6 mo check up by even a day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results