shape
carat
color
clarity

In Search of my PERFECT e-ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock

Hello, I am somewhat new to Pricescope, but have been reading posts and gaining as much information as I could from all of you very helpful and knowledgable people. My boyfriend of seven years and I were planning to get engaged within the next few months, but after coming here and reading all the negative things about mall jewelry stores--I am not so sure. See, the problem is that I found this beautiful ring that I absolutely love at Helzberg. The ring is $8,999, but after sales tax and paying for the warranty it is closer to $10,000. The price is not my problem, but it is the feeling that perhaps I can get a better quality engagement ring somewhere else for the same price. We are a young couple. I am 22 and he will be 24 next month, so this is so far the most important and expensive purchase he will make, and I want to make sure we will be completely happy with the purchase. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

The ring: Helzberg''s ''Radiant Star'', cushion
carats: 1.40
color: G
clarity: I1 (surprisingly eye clean)
IGI and Gemex reports included
Gemex report: diamond scored Very High on all three categories of brillance, fire, and scintillation
The mounting: 14k, .56 carats (54 accent diamonds)--Unsure of the color or clarity
Total carats: 1.96

The ring in the photo: This is not the exact diamond I described above as this one is 1.36, I color, I1 clairity, but this is the look of the overall ring. Sorry the picture is not super clear.

2008 is great 073.jpg

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
This is another angle of the ring.

2008 is great 074.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

Have you considered buying online? If it is a cushion you love, contact Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com as he has found stunning cushions for many PSers!

Also maybe you might prefer a higher clarity to I1, although I1 diamonds have their fans ( myself included!) generally some stick to SI2 and above for clarity for an engagement ring. G colour is a sweetspot for many for colour, so that can be a good choice. Also GIA grading reports are considered to be desirable.

With the setting, if you have a look at Mark''s site, then you might find some you love. Also you can try www.goodoldgold.com as Jon has an excellent rep for fancy shapes such as cushion and radiants.

dennyr

Rough_Rock

Ring designers can make mountings that style so do not feel that the mall jewelry store is your only source for your “perfect” engagement ring.

We recommend GIA graded diamonds and at least H color and SI1 clarity for cushion cut diamonds to ensure a nice white color and clarity that is clean to the eye. If you are spending that much money on a ring you want to focus on the quality of the diamond and mounting. Low overhead diamond suppliers who work with custom designers can provide you better quality for your dollars if you are willing to shop a little more.

Do not get caught up in the “warranty” sales pitch often made at jewelry stores, especially if they are making you pay for that feature. If you really read the fine print for most of those store warranties, they provide no more protection than you will already have with your insurance and are really just a marketing ploy to get you into their store on a regular basis.

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions and links were helpful. I am a bit apprehensive about purchasing online, but I have been looking at Excel Diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is some safety in shopping at PriceScope vendors due to the fact that they care a lot about their reputation on this board. I have bought diamonds from Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash, and I would also consider Engagement Rings Direct, Winfield''s and Pearlman''s, depending on what I was looking for. Most of those have actual jewelry stores and have been in business for years. You want a GIA certifcate on a cushion stone to be sure the grading is accurate. I also would not go below SI on an engagement ring stone.

I think you''d be overpaying for the ring you are looking at, to be honest. As someone already said, you need an insurance policy on your ring, not a jeweler''s warranty. That is a total waste of your money. The ring needs to be covered for any type of damage or loss.

When I was looking for my anniversary diamond and earrings, I did go to Helzburg to compare quality and price. Their top quality GIA rounds were about 30% higher than the ones I found at the vendors above.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 12:31:48 PM
Author: dennyr

We recommend GIA graded diamonds and at least H color and SI1 clarity for cushion cut diamonds to ensure a nice white color and clarity that is clean to the eye. If you are spending that much money on a ring you want to focus on the quality of the diamond and mounting. Low overhead diamond suppliers who work with custom designers can provide you better quality for your dollars if you are willing to shop a little more.

When you say "we" you must mean yourself. PS certainly doesn not recommend only diamonds of H color or higher. We tend to recommend that people judge these fancy cuts in person, or by a trusted PS vendor.

Dreamer welcome to PS! I would tell you to look around a little more before settling. The ring looks gorgeous, but there are some great stones to be found through some of the PS vendors, and at very reasonable prices.

This is a nice looking diamond..
1.52 G SI1

There are many in that range... And for that price I do think you can get a better quality elsewhere. I would try Mark at ERD of Jon at Good Old Gold. Both would be thrilled to help!
Keep us posted, and congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2008 3:48:06 PM
Author: CrookedRock
When you say ''we'' you must mean yourself. PS certainly doesn not recommend only diamonds of H color or higher. We tend to recommend that people judge these fancy cuts in person, or by a trusted PS vendor.

Dreamer welcome to PS! I would tell you to look around a little more before settling. The ring looks gorgeous, but there are some great stones to be found through some of the PS vendors, and at very reasonable prices.

This is a nice looking diamond..
1.52 G SI1

There are many in that range... And for that price I do think you can get a better quality elsewhere. I would try Mark at ERD of Jon at Good Old Gold. Both would be thrilled to help!
Keep us posted, and congrats!
CR, I do not see a photo of that diamond. I don''t think you can really judge a cushion without an actual photo. But maybe I just did not find it.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
DS, you aren''t missing anything... There is no pic. I just know Mark has access to these stones. I was looking based on price, ct, and ratio bc it seemed she liked something slightly more rectangular from the pic. I was just throwing something out there. I should probably check JA bc they have pics, but I tend to go to BN first bc I know Mark can call them in, and I def trust his eye. Sorry about the confusion DS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results