shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I take a chance on these studs?

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've come across some oec 2ct studs. The seller states they are an LM in color and SI and I1 in clarity. He stated one has a small carbon inclusion on the side (SI- prongable?) And the other has a "tiny" carbon inclusion right in the middle of the table which he says blends in with the culet (I1). My questions are: can a diamond with a carbon inclusion in the middle of the table still sparkle and look well? How likely is an inclusion in this position going to be reflected in the other facets? What would you pay for earrings with these stats and inclusions? I've asked for photos and videos but this seller isnt a professional and I dont know if the diamonds in the photo or video he sends dont look well because it's hard to photograph diamonds or if because they aren't particularly sparkly? He does say he is willing to accept a return. Thanks all!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
My oec is an L, and I love it.
But if they're not certed, he might be estimating. As long as they are returnable, I'd take the chance - if they are awful send them back and if they're not as good as they should be, you can negotiate a slight reduction in price.

Could you share some pictures? I know you said they're not good shots.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We cant really give much feedback without pictures/videos/GIA reports etc. If the user cant provide decent pictures then I would not be willing to
pay a lot. Without decent pictures I cant say whether I would be willing to take a chance on them. You should expect decent pictures at a minimum.

The cut of a stone is what makes it sparkly. Inclusions like clouds and wisp can interfere with light return. You should be asking the seller some of these
questions (is the carbon spot reflected in multiple facets?)

Good luck. At least they are returnable if you do take a chance on them.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
We cant really give much feedback without pictures/videos/GIA reports etc. If the user cant provide decent pictures then I would not be willing to
pay a lot. Without decent pictures I cant say whether I would be willing to take a chance on them. You should expect decent pictures at a minimum.

The cut of a stone is what makes it sparkly. Inclusions like clouds and wisp can interfere with light return. You should be asking the seller some of these
questions (is the carbon spot reflected in multiple facets?)

Good luck. At least they are returnable if you do take a chance on them.

Thank you PreRaphaelite and Tyty333. I was going to attach video which looks better than the pics but got a message saying my video files are too big. Let me see if I can figure out how to resize the video images. Here are some pics attached. 20190811_131104.jpg 20190811_131043.jpg 20190811_130951.jpg 20190811_130915.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’d be interested in seeing video. Depending on the price, if your eyes love them in person, you could send them for grading. How long is the return period? Do you feel they are a priced well?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the diamonds one carat each, or are the adding the weight of the setting stones? That would affect the price.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
From the photos, I say pass on these, save your pennies, and keep searching... something better will come along that will be a "diamond in the rough" lol at a great value.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
I’d be interested in seeing video. Depending on the price, if your eyes love them in person, you could send them for grading. How long is the return period? Do you feel they are a priced well?

I'm trying to get video posted but it's so difficult! First I got a message saying the file is too big and so I compressed it and then got a message saying it's not an accepted file extension. I'll keep trying. I think return is about two weeks but I'm sure hed be willing to extend that. I do think they have potential (I love when something has potential or is a good deal) but it's really hard to tell from photos and this would be my first pair of diamond studs.... well diamond earrings period.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
Are the diamonds one carat each, or are the adding the weight of the setting stones? That would affect the price.

The diamonds are 2.13 tcw which foes include the setting stones. They are 6mm each not including the settings. Would that be one carat each or slightly smaller?

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I had good luck uploading video here. I used Vimeo. I had zero luck with YouTube videos loading here.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
6mm is just under a carat unless they are deep. Mine’s 6.2mm and weighs 1.01 but it is deep, I feel.

It would be unusual to find oec’s that are both perfectly 6mm and matched. I can’t wait to hear more about them.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
Here are two more pics the seller gave me and I'll try vimeo for the videos... hope they will convert. 20190811_130630.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they able to provide an ASETscope image of each stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy them. Unless those pics are awful and not what they actually look like, they will look full.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock

Here are the videos as he gave them to me:

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
Are they able to provide an ASETscope image of each stone?
Unfortunately not. This seller has indicated these were his wife's and he doesnt know much about them and "isn't a diamond person."

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't buy them. Unless those pics are awful and not what they actually look like, they will look full.
Thanks lovedogs. That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping they're just bad pics.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
I’d pass. But don’t despair, we can help you find awesome ones.
Thanks PreRaphaelite, I'm hoping to find that unicorn of a deal but I'll definitely need others more knowledgeable and skilled than I am to know it when I see it (though I'm learning quite a bit).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Those are nowhere near 6mm. 6mm at approx 64% depth is .90ct, so those are likely .80ct each. I also don't like the faceting of one of them. Pass.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
Those are nowhere near 6mm. 6mm at approx 64% depth is .90ct, so those are likely .80ct each. I also don't like the faceting of one of them. Pass.

Thank you Fortekitty, I've noticed many lovely pieces from you on this forum. How do you use the mm and depth percentage to arrive at approximate karat?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Fortekitty, I've noticed many lovely pieces from you on this forum. How do you use the mm and depth percentage to arrive at approximate karat?
I happen to have a few around .8-.95 that are 63.5-64.5%, and they all face up between 5.85-5.9mm. But if you can get exact dimensions, you can figure out approximate carat by L x W x D x 0.0064. I personally prefer depth in that range, with tables between 43-48%. My big oec is 46% table 64% depth.

Those earrings in the pictures look about 5.5mm, which means they're maybe 0.65ct each

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are a definite no from me. They don't look to be that well cut, one of them looks almost mangled. Not enough life in them for me either.

Gracielouwho

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much all! I had many similar thoughts about what I was seeing but wasnt sure if I was too inexperienced to recognize "a diamond in the rough" or if these really seemed well... as you see them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results