shape
carat
color
clarity

Who actually prefers MRB over antique cuts?

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
While lots of our members come to this community for choosing MRB, still many times read our PSers praising antique cuts, expressing they will pick an antique cut over MRB in any day. Are there any of us the opposite or with MRB as their favourite?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to answer because there are many more diamond cuts than MRB and antique.

I LOVE my modern ACA and Solasfera rounds.
Yet I nearly always wear my Octavia, a modern take on the "antique" asscher cut, yet with light performance that I am as impressed with as a fine MRB.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me! I actually prefer MRB over antique cuts and I would always choose it over an OEC diamond (I’m assuming this is the most popular type on PS). Of course not any MRB, but a true H&A diamond. I love the arrows!
Now if I am gifted an OEC diamond- of course I would take it, but if I were purchasing I would buy a H&A diamond.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Kenny, I love all my rounds, but my “new old-cut” is my go to every time.
Kenny, why do you think you go for your O. As opposed to Rs?

It will be interesting to know if people start out with other cuts and then discover the beauty of the RBs and go for them instead.
I think of rounds as the gateway diamond because that’s what you see for the most part when you are shopping; they are the modern traditional shape.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are plenty PSers who appreciate the Super-Ideal proportions of ACA’s. Sometimes, it’s the search for the perfect combo of angles & percentages that makes it the most exciting, for some.
I do not fall into that crowd.
I have a great appreciation for antique cut diamonds of all shapes and sizes, but that is because I’m a chunky facet lover. I’m far more interested in bold, rainbow flash than pinpoint, white scintillation.
Which explains why my ultimate favorites are step cuts.
If presented with an antique OEC or Antique Cushion and an EC or Asscher, it would be a battle for me, but the step cuts would prevail, in the end.
I love antique cuts, but they are a close second to step cuts, in my world.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @Matthews1127. There are plenty of PSers who prefer precision cut modern diamonds including ACAs, CBIs, etc.

I look at it as perfection in cut vs wonky charm and splintery vs chunky delight. No right or wrong. Comes down to personal aesthetic and having said that I would guess as many (if not more) PSers prefer modern cut stones over genuine old cut charm. I am not one of them however.

Sure they will be chiming in soon!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must also add:
I love ALL step cuts...modern and Vintage/Antique. I also have a soft spot for the Octavia, and hope to own one in my lifetime.
Beautifully cut step cut diamonds (past, present and future) are my first love. Likely, will remain in first place for eternity.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to see we opened up an interesting discussion^^

Yes, good thread topic @Double E .

I think this thread needs photos...don't y'all agree?

Here's my contribution. Need some modern cuts though and soon since @Double E is interested in MRBs. Let's not disappoint.

Why I love OECs. Those yummy facets and soft colors. Romance personified IMO.
bubbalahfacetsyummy.png

@Jimmianne @Matthews1127 @kayla17 @kenny please share your yummy diamonds.
Extra points for MRBs.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to answer because there are many more diamond cuts than MRB and antique.

I LOVE my modern ACA and Solasfera rounds.
Yet I nearly always wear my Octavia, a modern take on the "antique" asscher cut, yet with light performance that I am as impressed with as a fine MRB.

Yes, Antique cuts is such a big spectrum! I’ve yet to own or see any antique cut in person, so it’s also hard even for myself to answer. What’s for sure is it’s an area I am interested to explore.

And I think I may be more attracted by solersfera than octavia though^^ becox if it’s extreme brilliance, but everything’s down to our own taste, it may seem too splintery to me.

Anywsy I m still in love with my MRB~

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some threads for your perusal @Double E

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Some threads for your perusal @Double E

That’s very kind of you:)

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I love the arrows too, it tells a lot about the precision in that stone, which I would say it’s like art.
Me! I actually prefer MRB over antique cuts and I would always choose it over an OEC diamond (I’m assuming this is the most popular type on PS). Of course not any MRB, but a true H&A diamond. I love the arrows!
Now if I am gifted an OEC diamond- of course I would take it, but if I were purchasing I would buy a H&A diamond.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy :wavey:!
Actually, I thought a little more about my response, while I do love MRBs the best, I love all diamonds as long as they are well cut and clear.
Since I already have my ideal MRB in terms of size and cut, if I were to purchase another solitaire I’m pretty certain it would be an OEC or a step cut since I don’t have those two cuts in a ring.
F7067E18-BF29-430B-B8EA-AF68F8FE0095.png

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

THUD! @kayla17 I feel like singing the song "Torn between 2 lovers" but instead putting in "Torn between 2 diamond cuts" :lickout: I mean just look at your stunning beautiful diamond. SWOON!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Like Kenny, I love all my rounds, but my “new old-cut” is my go to every time.
Kenny, why do you think you go for your O. As opposed to Rs?

It will be interesting to know if people start out with other cuts and then discover the beauty of the RBs and go for them instead.
I think of rounds as the gateway diamond because that’s what you see for the most part when you are shopping; they are the modern traditional shape.

2 very good questions:cool2::cool2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I m stilling learning how to take such kind of pic!

I just aim my phone (iPhone) and click. The phone does all the work. It's really easy because belleve me I have no talent in this area. Sometimes it can take a few tries to get the desired photo but I have to say with the newer phones it really is so easy. Just focus on the diamond and voila.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more old cut pics just because.

Why I love old cuts. A photo is worth a thousand words. Indeed.

omcearringscloseup.png

omcdanglescloseup.png

2 very different OMC dangles. Both super romantic and feminine and soft. In a way MRBs can never be IMO. But MRBs offer their own deliciousness. Bright, beautiful and blingy. So many different flavors to enjoy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
There are plenty PSers who appreciate the Super-Ideal proportions of ACA’s. Sometimes, it’s the search for the perfect combo of angles & percentages that makes it the most exciting, for some.
I do not fall into that crowd.
I have a great appreciation for antique cut diamonds of all shapes and sizes, but that is because I’m a chunky facet lover. I’m far more interested in bold, rainbow flash than pinpoint, white scintillation.
Which explains why my ultimate favorites are step cuts.
If presented with an antique OEC or Antique Cushion and an EC or Asscher, it would be a battle for me, but the step cuts would prevail, in the end.
I love antique cuts, but they are a close second to step cuts, in my world.

It’s good and it’s bad that you find something fun in multiple types of diamond cuts. You may need to spend alot^^

Broad facet, especially when it’s under lighting condition favours dispersion, is also charming to me~

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I m stilling learning how to take such kind of pic!

The best pictures I’ve taken are outside in the sunlight. I just use my iPhone and it’s an old one too. I just got my setting and for some reason have not taken pictures outside with it. Here is my diamond in another setting where I really liked to way the picture turned out. I’m also adding one of my previous diamond in the dahlia setting BC I love the way it looks. The sunlight really works. 673164 621377

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly like and appreciate MRB's that are well cut.

But I have learned I do prefer the chunky facets of an OEC. Even the modern vintage cuts appeal to me.

And when shopping for MRB's I tend to prefer lower LGF's as arrows are chunkier as well, and provide a little more of the performance I like in OEC's.

I also like cushions and some ovals depending on their L/W ratios. Some hearts depending on their exact shape. Princess is okay but not a fan of the sharp corners. Can't stand marquis and not much of a fan of pears either. I also enjoy step cut stone if the on/off patterning is superb; however, I've seen few of them I'd want to buy my wife so I think they are a style I admire from a distance if that makes sense.

My wife's BGD:

And here is an MRB that Serg has in his master set of stones, #16 IIRC, that has some of the chunkiest arrows I've seen. The videos almost look like a morphed MRB/OEC to me.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

But I have learned I do prefer the chunky facets of an OEC. Even the modern vintage cuts appeal to me.

And when shopping for MRB's I tend to prefer lower LGF's as arrows are chunkier as well, and provide a little more of the performance I like in OEC's.

I also like cushions and some ovals depending on their L/W ratios. Some hearts depending on their exact shape. Princess is okay but not a fan of the sharp corners. Can't stand marquis and not much of a fan of pears either. I also enjoy step cut stone if the on/off patterning is superb; however, I've seen few of them I'd want to buy my wife so I think they are a style I admire from a distance if that makes sense.

My wife's BGD:

download (3).png

And here is an MRB that Serg has in his master set of stones, #16 IIRC, that has some of the chunkiest arrows I've seen. The videos almost look like a morphed MRB/OEC to me.

Photo_16_large.jpg

Oof! That is SO cool:love:.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun fact: LGF's of MSS16 = 61.97! Makes 75's look like twigs, lol.

Video of MSS16 (lower left)....compliments of @Serg

DiboxJD movies

Upper Left - MSS13 Ca 34, Pa 41, Tb 57,
Lower Left - MSS16 Ca 37.5, Pa 40.6, Tb 57,
Upper Right - MSS17 Ca 39, Pa 40, Tb 61,
Lower Right - MSS18 Ca 37.5, Pa 40.4, Tb 57

More images and specs on MSS16:

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

My wife's BGD:

download (3).png

Photo_16_large.jpg

Welcome Sledge~Shapes will also be an important consideration for me if I am to buy another stone. Sharpe angles will surely worry me, however, Yoram’s Perruzi is really hard to resist in my opinion~

I think there are various personalities to be discovered in stones that are cut somewhere more in between MRB and OEC. Do the diamond public call it transitional cut? Can Serg’s stoneyou shown be categorised in it? To be more detailed, I like stone with higher crown, but not as high as the old day oec. And I also prefer a culet smaller even it’s an oec.It really changes the character of the diamond for me.

However, it’s rather difficult to find stones like this, and seems there are not clear criteria to determine what a good performance is for this kind of stones. It sounds like a different way to evaluate them, or simply depends on personal preference. What is a must I think is it still has to be precisely cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results