shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC next to a MRB

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've always wanted to see a nice OEC after reading so much about them on this board.

Three weeks ago, sadly my mother in law suddenly passed away. While clearing out her things we came across her ER which she rarely wore. It was a family heirloom and goes back at least 2 further generations. Surprisingly it was a beautiful OEC, probably about L colour, at least vs2 on a quick glance (quite dirty). It measures just shy of 8mm putting it probably just shy of 2ct.

I couldn't believe how well cut it was, it almost looked like an AVR. I thought it might be useful to post about my wifes MRB next to the OEC for those interested in how they appear differently.
I was thinking of putting the stone in a pendant for my wife which I will make a separate thread for. I'm not sure what to do with the ring which is far too big for my wife and looks very expensive, antique, lots of quite sizeable diamonds on there.

I thought this was a useful comparison for those that haven't seen both together in real life.

To my eyes, the MRB is much brighter with far more faster paced scintillation, but the OEC displays extensively more fire. It is captivating with the petaloid pattern. The OEC has a big size advantage, but they are both beautiful in very different ways.

MRB 1.3GSI2 57/62.0 35/40.8 GIA3X
IMG_20180524_005358_264.jpg
IMG_20170906_150052_893.jpg
OEC
IMG_20180524_003031_262.jpg IMG_20180524_002920_262.jpg IMG_20180524_005901_280.jpg

Here is a video of the two side by side, stood by the window on a sunny day.

I'm in the UK. Should I get it graded? I'm wondering if I should get a pendant made in the US and have the Jeweller receive the stone, send it to GIA, then set it and post it back.. or just try to have a pendant made here locally. For the US, I'm not sure how that will play with VAT on return and how to insure a stone that isn't even graded? While I'm aware OECs are probably not the best type of stones for pendants, I think sentimentally it'll be worth it for my wife.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an amazingly well cut OEC. I wouldn’t send it to the US. Set it there. If you happen to be coming to the US specifically NYC I would get it graded. Otherwise I would just set it for your wife so she can wear it. It is a STUNNING stone. It is the perfect example of why I chose to trade in my MRB. I could stare at that for hours. Is there a way you could set that in a ring? It seems to be such a shame that the wearer can’t get to tool at it all day.

I’m sorry. I should have offered my condolences. It just felt odd because we are talking about a beautiful stone that she left for your wife. Hope the stone will be a beautiful remembrance of her mother.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wanted to see a nice OEC after reading so much about them on this board.

Three weeks ago, sadly my mother in law suddenly passed away. While clearing out her things we came across her ER which she rarely wore. It was a family heirloom and goes back at least 2 further generations. Surprisingly it was a beautiful OEC, probably about L colour, at least vs2 on a quick glance (quite dirty). It measures just shy of 8mm putting it probably just shy of 2ct.

I couldn't believe how well cut it was, it almost looked like an AVR. I thought it might be useful to post about my wifes MRB next to the OEC for those interested in how they appear differently.
I was thinking of putting the stone in a pendant for my wife which I will make a separate thread for. I'm not sure what to do with the ring which is far too big for my wife and looks very expensive, antique, lots of quite sizeable diamonds on there.

I thought this was a useful comparison for those that haven't seen both together in real life.

To my eyes, the MRB is much brighter with far more faster paced scintillation, but the OEC displays extensively more fire. The OEC has a big size advantage, but they are both beautiful in very different ways.

OEC
IMG_20180524_003031_262.jpg IMG_20180524_002920_262.jpg IMG_20180524_005901_280.jpg

Here is a video of the two side by side.

I'm in the UK. Should I get it graded? I'm wondering if I should get a pendant made in the US and have the Jeweller receive the stone, send it to GIA, then set it and post it back.. or just try to have a pendant made here locally. For the US, I'm not sure how that will play with VAT on return and how to insure a stone that isn't even graded? While I'm aware OECs are probably not the best type of stones for pendants, I think sentimentally it'll be worth it for my wife.

Simply MAGNIFICENT!!! :eek2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am sorry about the news about your MIL. Take care.

kind regards--Sharon

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the setting would look amazing with a colored stone maybe as a right hand ring that she could wear on a different finger

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Condolences about your MIL @gm89uk

But that OEC of hers is absolutely gorgeous! Wonderfully cut!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
To my eyes, the MRB is much brighter with far more faster paced scintillation, but the OEC displays extensively more fire.

That's a spot-on correct observation. When I saw an OEC for the first time, I was blown away by how sparkly it was compared to MRBs. The video doesn't do it justice.

While I'm aware OECs are probably not the best type of stones for pendants, I think sentimentally it'll be worth it for my wife.

Forget the recommendations on what's best for pendants. After having seen OECs in action IRL, my next pendant stone will be an OEC. My condolences... but I'm glad that you happened to come across owning such a treasure.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry about your MIL, that must be a terrible shock for your wife and you.
I would totally set this in a ring and wear it as a RHR if it were mine. I have rings that were my mothers and wearing them help me remember her. You could do a simple bezel or low setting that would help downplay the size of this beautiful diamond. A pendant is also a lovely thought but it does mean your wife won’t get to see it as much so it might not be such a good memorial for her.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your MIL, such things are never easy and I hope you are both able to cope well.

+1 to an awesome RHR reset and keeping the setting for a coloured stone, though, it's a beautiful centre stone :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Just wanted to add what a beautiful ring/stone...lovely!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very sorry for the loss of your MIL and wish you both much strength.

The stone is absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure your wife will love having a piece of her mom with her at all times in whatever piece of jewelry you decide to put it in. I would love to look at that beautiful faceting in a ring but understand a rhr isn't for everyone, in which case a pendant would also be lovely.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your MIL.

I’m in the UK too, and when I brought back a ring I’d had made in the US, I had to pay 20% VAT on it. Not sure what the situation is if your exporting and reimporting, I ‘think’ I read you have to pay the VAT on import and claim it back, but not 100% sure.

Depending on where you live, I think I’d minimise the risk of your stone getting lost by getting it reset here. When I wanted my trilogy reset in to a pendant and earrings, I took it too an Indian jeweller, who did a fantastic job. Maybe they could use the gold and other diamonds for a band ring?

The OEC looks beautiful.

Durham Rose

Rough_Rock
Trade
To my eyes, the MRB is much brighter with far more faster paced scintillation, but the OEC displays extensively more fire. It is captivating with the petaloid pattern. The OEC has a big size advantage, but they are both beautiful in very different ways.

IMG_20180524_003031_262.jpg

Oh wow! What a beautifully fashioned antique diamond. It looks phenomenal. Did you take those ASET images with your own scope? They perfectly show how that older style can show up with such broad, big, elegant fire. I imagine its breathtaking in person.

On the topic of grading, you may wish to at least get an appraisal or professional evaluation so you’re covered with your insurance company, in the case that you insure your jewellery. And I’m inclined to agree with @blueMA, this could make a stunning pendant. In fact, if the look is as elegant as I believe it to be, it will speak perfectly at any stage. Thank you for these photos. If it’s ok, I may use them for education with our clients.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Condolences to you and your wife gm.

What a treasure you have to remember her by. I agree, AMAZINGLY well cut for its vintage! Any idea when it was likely cut based upon your family history?

Like others have recommended, I would put it into a pendant so you all can enjoy it. I think it will look awesome. A colored gem will look wonderful in the ring. A blue zircon would be pretty and keep with the antique nature of the piece.

I also agree that you should have the stone appraised so you can insure it properly if that is what you want to do, but a lab cert probably adds limited value in your situation unless it happens to be convenient.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My condolences on the passing of your MIL.

My gosh that is a beautiful OEC!! I wonder if the ring is sizable. If it is your wife might like to keep it as a memento of her mum.

Whatever happens with it, I hope your wife wears it in good health!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
It probably differs by each individual, but I hardly put on diamond rings or right hand rings because I'm very active with my hands. I'd probably have a pendant on me more often and just as in my earrings I'd probably just keep looking into mirrors to appreciate them. haha.

But seriously...that OEC is just so gorgeous and I can't stop ogling it since I love antique treasures. :eek2:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your well wishes, they are much appreciated.
I’m sorry. I should have offered my condolences. It just felt odd because we are talking about a beautiful stone that she left for your wife. Hope the stone will be a beautiful remembrance of her mother.
Don't worry, pricescope is about celebrating beautiful stones!
Sorry about your MIL.

I’m in the UK too, and when I brought back a ring I’d had made in the US, I had to pay 20% VAT on it. Not sure what the situation is if your exporting and reimporting, I ‘think’ I read you have to pay the VAT on import and claim it back, but not 100% sure.

Depending on where you live, I think I’d minimise the risk of your stone getting lost by getting it reset here. When I wanted my trilogy reset in to a pendant and earrings, I took it too an Indian jeweller, who did a fantastic job. Maybe they could use the gold and other diamonds for a band ring?

The OEC looks beautiful.
I live quite close to the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter who had many lovely pendants on casual window shopping. I was very impressed with the quality of work there. Do you mind me asking where your Indian jeweller was located?
Oh wow! What a beautifully fashioned antique diamond. It looks phenomenal. Did you take those ASET images with your own scope?
They perfectly show how that older style can show up with such broad, big, elegant fire. I imagine its breathtaking in person.

On the topic of grading, you may wish to at least get an appraisal or professional evaluation so you’re covered with your insurance company, in the case that you insure your jewellery. And I’m inclined to agree with @blueMA, this could make a stunning pendant. In fact, if the look is as elegant as I believe it to be, it will speak perfectly at any stage. Thank you for these photos. If it’s ok, I may use them for education with our clients.
Yes with my own handheld ASET from AGS pressed against my mobile phone :appl:

It's absolutely stunning in person, It is extremely lively in far more lighting environments than the MRB. I'm honoured you'd want to use my photos, happy for you to use them.
Condolences to you and your wife gm.

What a treasure you have to remember her by. I agree, AMAZINGLY well cut for its vintage! Any idea when it was likely cut based upon your family history?

Like others have recommended, I would put it into a pendant so you all can enjoy it. I think it will look awesome. A colored gem will look wonderful in the ring. A blue zircon would be pretty and keep with the antique nature of the piece.

I also agree that you should have the stone appraised so you can insure it properly if that is what you want to do, but a lab cert probably adds limited value in your situation unless it happens to be convenient.

Thanks Bryan. Our heritage is Egyptian but I don't know much more than that about the origins of the stone. I'll broach the topic with my FIL when I can.

I’m sorry about your MIL, that must be a terrible shock for your wife and you.
I would totally set this in a ring and wear it as a RHR if it were mine. I have rings that were my mothers and wearing them help me remember her. You could do a simple bezel or low setting that would help downplay the size of this beautiful diamond. A pendant is also a lovely thought but it does mean your wife won’t get to see it as much so it might not be such a good memorial for her.

It was a tough few weeks, but she's been very strong. This would be my ideal scenario, however my wife isn't a huge ring wearer and has a strong preference toward a pendant.

A coloured gem would be a great idea for the remaining ring. The ring however fits me well, i'm about a US size 8 and my wife is a size ~3.75 to 4 so I think it would be difficult to resize with it's configuration. But who knows, save it for the future!

Thank you all for your advice, I'll get it appraised here and insured, then start to look for a pendant. I'm wondering whether I should get it in WG/platinum or YG to compliment it's tint.

Amazing how much the well cut antique has captured me, I keep going back for another look, it's making me fall behind on my clearing out duties...

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Condolences for the loss of your Mother in law.
That is one beautiful ring.
Yes, I’d take the OMC out and reset as a solitaire in a vintage style setting. A pendant or ring.
With the ring mount, please reset with a lovely round blue sapphire. That is such a lovely setting and would make a superb RHR for the middle finger.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any idea when it was likely cut based upon your family history?
Estimated to be mid 1920s when the stone was in possession of the family. When it was actually cut, unsure!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love:

OEC

Here is a video of the two side by side, stood by the window on a sunny day.

Hi gm89uk,
Just curious if you ever had this gorgeous stone reset into a pendant for your wife.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love:
Hi gm89uk,
Just curious if you ever had this gorgeous stone reset into a pendant for your wife.

I wish, it's on the to-do list, I aim to have it done by her next birthday early 2019 but will definitely be asking the community for help and posting pictures when it's done. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone! It certainly looks like an example of skilled cutting! I'm in the camp of leaving it in the original setting if it can be resized. I don't think I'd want a pendant stone larger than my e-ring stone. It's certainly a very special piece for your wife to remember her mother, regardless of how it is set.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful, can't wait to see what you decide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results