shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I recut my 2.64 H/SI1 RBC e-ring?

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I may have arrived at the point where it makes sense to simply recut my original e-ring.
The diamond is a RBC 2.64 carat H/SI1 that doesn’t perform well.
After 20-years I realize it is most likely the cut.
It goes dark in certain lighting conditions and just isn’t super scintillating.
I knew zero about diamonds when we bought it 20 years ago and husband is very against upgrading the stone!
Does anyone have recut advice or experience?
How much do you think I would lose to make this stone super ideal?
All advice welcome as this is uncharted territory for me! 28D84BAE-BBD7-42E2-B484-8A637CA7D221.jpeg

Attachments

• ABFEE633-606F-46D0-8B4F-69B7432A15F6.jpeg
    ABFEE633-606F-46D0-8B4F-69B7432A15F6.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 1C117454-EE7C-4B56-BCE4-FF019C5E879D.jpeg
    1C117454-EE7C-4B56-BCE4-FF019C5E879D.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 89
  • A479C707-205A-4258-A35C-288C6647F109.jpeg
    A479C707-205A-4258-A35C-288C6647F109.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 88

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert, but in reading threads over the years …….is that equivalent to staying at a Holiday Inn Express?
And since you say ‘super ideal’ ……

My guess would be to contact Brian Gavin Diamonds to find out for sure on your diamond specifically.

And search here on PS threads for ‘Brian Gavin recut diamond’ to see others stories on doing that.

:)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I second the "contact Brian Gavin" recommendation as I know some people have had their stones recut by him with nice results here on PS. But idk if "clouds not shown" might be part of the problem with the lack of sparkle you mention.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I second the "contact Brian Gavin" recommendation as I know some people have had their stones recut by him with nice results here on PS. But idk if "clouds not shown" might be part of the problem with the lack of sparkle you mention.
You might be right.
I’ve always been worried about the clouds not shown.
Thanks @Mreader and @Rfisher im going to see what Brian Gavin says….

I am a tad bit concerned with the depth being 60.7 whether you can really get to something “super ideal” without losing a lot of weight/size. But you don’t lose anything by getting a quote, and as long as you can stay above 2.5ct you shouldn’t be risking significant value either!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me get @Karl_K for comments. He can usually give a quick assessment yeh or nay.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Paging @Karl_K
In need of help on this stone I simply fail to understand!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What lighting/conditions does it go dark under?
Remembering that its the light behind you coming around you that counts most.
While it does not sound like the best cut stone I would hate for you to get it recut to just see it go dark again under those conditions.
Some pictures would really help also.

With the 62 table it likely has a fairly flat top so the weight loss would be likely under 2.50 which reduces its value.
But its still highly likely be cheaper than selling and replacing it.
The inclusions always have to be evaluated by the cutter before doing the recut to give the correct opinion.
I can just guess and say there is a good chance it would be ok depending on the depth of the inclusions.
It may become an si2 but if its remains eyeclean and the clouds dont interfere greatly with light return your still good.
So my initial thoughts are it is a potential recut candidate.

Please tell us more about the conditions it goes dark and provide some pictures so we can discuss that.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theres another place that does recurs. Maybe southwest diamond cutters? I cant remember the exact name but know others have had good luck w them.

Thanks!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Karl_K
While I look for videos of my stone, I hate to do this to everyone but my jeweler (the original jeweler I bought this ring from 20 years ago) showed me a stone today that I could “upgrade” to (I know I know husband doesn’t like but I’m still considering….!) and I’m wondering what the pros here think if it. 63B9BE10-6632-4378-8A98-53BE8C6B77E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 35D6CFBE-E7E2-4597-A555-3AFBC6EB78FD.png
    35D6CFBE-E7E2-4597-A555-3AFBC6EB78FD.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 51

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Hi there! I recently had Brian Gavin recut my MRB and was thrilled with the results!! You can see before and after ASET etc here:

It certainly can't hurt anything to see what Brian thinks as far as loss predictions. Good luck!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Karl_K
While I look for videos of my stone, I hate to do this to everyone but my jeweler (the original jeweler I bought this ring from 20 years ago) showed me a stone today that I could “upgrade” to (I know I know husband doesn’t like but I’m still considering….!) and I’m wondering what the pros here think if it. 63B9BE10-6632-4378-8A98-53BE8C6B77E2.jpeg
no way its another flat top like the one you have, it is not an upgrade in cut.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
*thank yous

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Karl_K

Unless you are going by ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’ on what’s going to be a worthwhile upgrade in cut from what you currently have, and are not going to take the easy (and pricer) route in purchasing an already branded super ideal.

This following post and it’s helpful links might be of use to you in what to look for /narrow down in comparison to stones you find for your consideration.

PS veterans, if you find them useful you can bookmark these links.

1. PS Proportions chart: Proportions and Visual Tendencies
2. PS Proportions chart: Historically Member Recommended
3. Proportions info: Where to find proportions on various reports
4. Proportions info: What numbers are rounded

That page is also accessible from the main menu.
https://www.pricescope.com/education/diamond-cut/diamond-proportions

proportions-nav.jpg

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’m hoping to lean on you pros just a little more.
So my jeweler is strongly encouraging the 3.0 carat stone I posted above.
I honestly haven’t spent more than two minutes with it and it was loose at the time.
I’m pretty sure when I go back in this Monday he will have it set for me because he wants me to “spend some time with it”.
I tried valiantly to compare the specifications @Rfisher kindly provided and I see it is off on some.
But I’m not sure what conclusions to draw from the fact it’s “off” on some ideal specs.
Can anyone tell me why this stone may not be a good one?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ran it through the HCA tool for you. I hope I did it correctly (back and forth on phone) but will allow experts to chime in.

70FC744A-F36F-4F25-B9DE-063332B82BAA.png

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I ran it through the HCA tool for you. I hope I did it correctly (back and forth on phone) but will allow experts to chime in.

70FC744A-F36F-4F25-B9DE-063332B82BAA.png

Thank you so very much @Slickk
This is extremely helpful.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh and I forgot to mention, I’m stepping back from a re-cut for now simply because it feels scary.
I want to explore upgrading first.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* you might get better (as in tailored to you) replies if you change your ideal wish to from a ‘super ideal’ cut
To a well done 60/60 stone?
I think that’s where the TIC comes in…..

Hopefully someone else that really knows their stuff can chime in

Different flavors.
Someone that doesn’t enjoy the flavor you are going for - might not tell you the stone you are looking at is an upgrade in cut.
If you are more clear in what your goals are - I think it’ll be easier for the prosumers to offer info you can use.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I *think* you might get better (as in tailored to you) replies if you change your ideal wish to from a ‘super ideal’ cut
To a well done 60/60 stone?
I think that’s where the TIC comes in…..

Hopefully someone else that really knows their stuff can chime in

Different flavors.
Someone that doesn’t enjoy the flavor you are going for - might not tell you the stone you are looking at is an upgrade in cut.
If you are more clear in what your goals are - I think it’ll be easier for the prosumers to offer info you can use.

I wish I could.
But I’m confused myself on the difference between a “xxx” an “ideal” a “super ideal” and a 60/60!
If these are simply trademarked cuts then that’s not what I’m looking for,
What I’m looking for is the best cut that gives that edge-to-edge brightness I feel I have never had.

I hope this articulates what I’m looking for.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you ordered an ACA or something similar just to view the cut in person? Then you could compare it side-by-side with the 3ct your jeweler has.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 60/60 cut diamond means the depth and table are both close to 60% in table diameter and diamond depth. Some of them can be very pretty but the 3 carat he is trying to push on you has a 32.5 crown angle which is low and will give you the same flat top diamond that you currently have now. A xxx means a GIA excellent in cut, polish and symmetry. Problem is that GIA rounds their angles so their xxx stones cover a broad range of numbers that don’t produce ideal cuts. A super ideal cut diamond - offered by Whiteflash, Brian Gavin and the like are graded by AGS which does include light performance. Those super ideal cut stones will give you that edge to edge brightness.
You will have to look at the 3 carat stone that he has to decide if it is something you like but the majority of posters here would probably not recommend it to be honest.
Seems that your options are to ask about a recut to determine how much weight and diameter you would lose or to try to sell your current diamond to fund a new super ideal cut diamond. You could always purchase a new super ideal cut diamond and put her current one in a pendant if you don’t want to let go of it. Go to the Whiteflash website and look at their diamonds - particularly the imagery of the ideal scope and ASET images. You will see the symmetry in cutting that produces that brightness you are wanting from a diamond.

I wish you all the best - I wish we would have all had the benefit of this knowledge before we received or bought diamonds! I would just be very wary of spending additional dollars on another diamond as a trade-in with yours if I wasn’t getting what I wanted.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone.
And I just wanted to mention, this jeweler with the 3.0 rbc is NOT the jeweler who I currently do social media for (hence the trade designation on my account ☝️)!
It’s the jeweler from my hometown where we originally purchased the ring.
That’s why I was trying to stay with him for upgrade…

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could.
But I’m confused myself on the difference between a “xxx” an “ideal” a “super ideal” and a 60/60!
If these are simply trademarked cuts then that’s not what I’m looking for,
What I’m looking for is the best cut that gives that edge-to-edge brightness I feel I have never had.

I hope this articulates what I’m looking for.

i'm confused from the thread whether the diamond you have could be recut to be the best 60/60 it could be - that would save you the most weight

ideal and super ideal have a slightly different shape, so you'd have to cut off more of your diamond to get those angles

but do you prefer that 60/60 style of stone? (it sounds like your jeweler does, lol) it is more white light and less rainbow sparkle. i think it can still be bright. maybe some more trade folks will chime in. good luck w/ whatever you decide!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’m stepping away from a re-cut for now.
And as far as the 3.0 rbc I think I’m simply getting myself tied in knots about the cut terms.
Because frankly I don’t have a firm grasp on them!
I will go look at this stone with my eyes in real life and see what I see….

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m stepping away from a re-cut for now.
And as far as the 3.0 rbc I think I’m simply getting myself tied in knots about the cut terms.
Because frankly I don’t have a firm grasp on them!
I will go look at this stone with my eyes in real life and see what I see….

I think some of the super ideal cut information on the Whiteflash website home page might be helpful for you to read. It can be overwhelming for sure but it is a place to start. Your eyes are also the best judge of what you like to see in a diamond. Take the diamond outside in natural light, under a desk where light is scarce and maybe the restroom. The lights in most jewelry stores will always make diamonds look good (that is by design of course!) so walk it around in different lighting environments if possible. Compare it to your current ring to see if it looks a lot different to you than what you currently have.
Best of luck - let us know what you think after you have seen it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results