shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfect Proportions

SCARLETTE

Shiny_Rock
I've learned here that cut is king and have seen tables of ranges of "ideal" proportions for a round diamond. However, I am wondering within those ranges, what combination of specific table, depth, and angle proportions would you consider the ultimate best?

SCARLETTE

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, @Karl_K, for the input.

I am thinking of potentially re-cutting a diamond and can request specific proportions per the vendor. So glad to know that if I ask them to stick to those "ideal" proportions, it will turn out fine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Asking for a combination on the AGS ags0 cutting guidelines that results in the best size retention based on available material would be interesting.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Karl, AGS Ideal would be the range to stick with.

There is also GCAL 8X criteria, assuming this discussion applies to MRB:

Screenshot_20220414-122951.png

SCARLETTE

Shiny_Rock
@DejaWiz, THANKS for this info! Was trying to do a search and got lost in too many side discussions in old posts.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome, SCARLETTE.
Looking forward to reading more about your diamond recut adventures!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Wishing for another successful recut story:)

Mind to share who’s gonna do the recut for you at current stage?

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the space where 3D facet precision is excellent, there is a small range of proportions that work together to optimize light performance. In that space, no single parameter or combination of parameters is necessarily best. At that point it is a matter of personal preference and the visual differences are very subtle.

Once you arrive there, other factors about the diamond have more significance to a purchase decision including size, price, color and clarity features. Someone looking for the best cut quality and light performance should pay particular attention to clarity features that could potentially undermine performance, even in a perfectly cut diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results