carat
color
clarity

Should I buy ACA studs?

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Long time lurker and ready to buy some round studs! I was wondering if the members here could comment on whether I should buy ACA studs. Or if I would be better off buying a cheaper pair. I'd like to wear these studs somewhat regularly and for my wedding. So I have about 3 months to decide.

Glancing at the selection, I only have funds for buying 0.6xx ctw studs (willing to spend 2k with the settings in 14/18k yellow gold). I am wondering if it would be worth it for the lifetime upgrade perks. I've noticed that the price is relatively high for ACAs, would I be better off with buying cheaper starter studs or investing in the trade up. I'm 30, so I feel like what looks good in my ears now will not be what look good in my ears later, but since ACAs are always much more expensive than other options, I'm afraid that even down the line I won't have the ability to buy significantly larger studs.

The other options would be to buy from another internet vendor, or moissy. So any feed would be most appreciated! Thanks!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my .66ctw ACA studs are little, but they pack big sparkle. I went with WF because as I get more $, I want the option of upgrading

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the response! Do you think you would have gone whiteflash even if you can't currently imagine spending more than 3k on studs in your lifetime?? I don't know maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery one day :lol-2:

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For an ER stone, I would buy an ACA in a heartbeat. If you buy ACA stones for studs, they will be beautiful.

That said, there are other options depending on your priorities. I had different priorities for studs than I would for a stone for a ring.
I went to IDJ and bought GIA XXX (w/ HCA 0.7) stones that are a little shallower because I was interested in buying well cut stones and maximizing size for my budget. They return more white light than fire, which for me is totally great in studs. IDJ also had an upgrade policy I liked.

For me, the sweet spot was buying excellent cut that were not H&A superideals. Happy hunting!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are considering ACA studs, you might want to contact BGD, also in Houston. Brian is the architect and designer of the ACA before he left WF to form his own company. Other forum members have had excellent experience with them. If you go that route, ask for Lesley, she is VP of sales and can work with you to identify compatible pairs. I have worked with her a few times for both my wife and daughter, which includes studs.
Good luck.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the response! Do you think you would have gone whiteflash even if you can't currently imagine spending more than 3k on studs in your lifetime?? I don't know maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery one day :lol-2:

probably, but that's because I have an ACA engagement ring and have become a snob, lol. IDJ (mentioned above) might be a good option for maximizing size with your budget. I didn't realize they had an upgrade policy, so that could be cool in the future!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Long time lurker and ready to buy some round studs! I was wondering if the members here could comment on whether I should buy ACA studs. Or if I would be better off buying a cheaper pair. I'd like to wear these studs somewhat regularly and for my wedding. So I have about 3 months to decide.

Glancing at the selection, I only have funds for buying 0.6xx ctw studs (willing to spend 2k with the settings in 14/18k yellow gold). I am wondering if it would be worth it for the lifetime upgrade perks. I've noticed that the price is relatively high for ACAs, would I be better off with buying cheaper starter studs or investing in the trade up. I'm 30, so I feel like what looks good in my ears now will not be what look good in my ears later, but since ACAs are always much more expensive than other options, I'm afraid that even down the line I won't have the ability to buy significantly larger studs.

The other options would be to buy from another internet vendor, or moissy. So any feed would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Seems like you've answered your own question. Sooooooo

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
I definitely want very nice cut stones, but I don't know if I need superideals. At first, I thought maybe having the ability to upgrade would be nice, but I didn't know how to 'value' this ability, or if I should consider it when buying studs at all! How do others tend to view this if you know where you are entering is probably not where you want to be, is it a question of how soon can I upgrade that gives it more value or not the case?

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely check out BGD and IDJ to further help me decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't consider Whiteflash ACAs all that much higher, to be honest. You get what you pay for, to a certain extent and great light return is really important for studs.

I have WF studs and have upgraded a few times!!! So I will tell you, that upgrade policy is a great thing if you think you'll ever want slightly larger. I kept thinking I was at my max size, but somehow they always shrank!:lol:

After looking, I see their stock is a little low in the H-I VS2-SI1 range that many people choose for studs. You could definitely do .80ctw if they had some of those as long as you stick with their least expensive settings. If you're interested, you can call and check and see what they have coming in.

Regarding ID Jewelry, that may be a less expensive option, but I'd give them cut parameters to search for if I went that route (table 55-58, depth 60-62, crown angle 34-35.0, pavilion angle 40.6-40.9). I am not seeing an upgrade policy on their site, but I could have missed it. It has to be in writing to really be an upgrade policy because words can mean nothing if not on the receipt or the site at time of purchase.

Last edited:

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I vote ACA! Love mine. I also have a smaller, cheaper, starter pair. They are ok, but the ACA's outperform them.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 1.6ctw WF earrings that I don’t plan to upgrade. Since they are next to my face I wanted earrings that would sparkle like crazy - and they do. Mine are ES so check out the PS and ES selection and see if that doesn’t help stretch your budget. Good luck!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a WF ACA engagement ring that I adore. For studs, I went for those made from the M stuff because I just couldn’t tell the difference on my ears

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately it doesn't look like toggling the ES/PS/ACA on WF makes a different in what's on the website. This is the biggest I can get with my budget

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=3222817&Diamond2=3222818

I tend to like lower colors anyhow since I set it in YG.

I SI1 is great for studs, especially in yellow gold. But I think with a $2k budget you could get .40 each with their just under $200 settings. It's just a matter of calling them and seeing if they expect to get any .40 I VS2-SI1 stones in anytime soon. However, I think the ones you posted are totally fine for someone your age and then if you ever want more size, you can either get jackets or upgrade the diamonds.

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
I SI1 is great for studs, especially in yellow gold. But I think with a $2k budget you could get .40 each with their just under $200 settings. It's just a matter of calling them and seeing if they expect to get any .40 I VS2-SI1 stones in anytime soon. However, I think the ones you posted are totally fine for someone your age and then if you ever want more size, you can either get jackets or upgrade the diamonds.

Ahh, thanks for the PRO tip, I think if it came down to $100 I would splurge a tiny bit. I'm really in love with the "W" 4 prong setting. I just love that setting! I do wonder if I would notice a ~0.2mm difference in size...?

You all are selling me on the ACA... I'll still do my due dillegence, but I guess I came in already knowing what way my heart was leaning after all haha @canuk-gal

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
I was informed that an 0.4carats I would be hard to get matched in my time frame and budget. A J should be easier. I don't think I'm super color sensitive, I have a J for an ER and I quite like it, but its GIA, should I be worried about an AGS J?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong with a pair of ACA.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you could see the difference in size if you had both in your hand, but I doubt there's a huge difference on the ears. I have a .40 each pair here, but I don't have anything the size of the smaller ones. I actually have bought ACA pairs for my daughters!

I think Js set in yellow gold would be fine. They could possibly be slightly lower than your ring color, but honestly, I don't think you could notice that in the ear, especially with ACAs. You'll just see edge to edge light return in these! I'd go for the larger Js and you can always upgrade to I later, if you want. However, I'd only do the W-prong settings if you don't plan to upgrade in size. I have wasted a lot of money buying platinum settings for my studs thinking I was on my final pair, and ooops, upgraded a couple more times!:lol:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold my old studs and bought 1.3 ctw H SI 1 ACAs last year and then this year upgraded to 1.6ctw I color SI 1s. I don’t notice any color difference. I think the WF upgrade policy and quality of the stones is totally worth any small price premium. I plan to upgrade again next year. The ability to do it incrementally is very attractive to me. And I buy white gold settings since I know I’ll be buying new ones with upgrades and therefore no reason for platinum until I’m done.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How the studs look depend on how meaty your lobes are.

I'm inclined to suggest that instead of rushing to get studs for your wedding, get some pretty pearls or fakes for the wedding and save a little and wait for the perfect pair of ACAs to come along.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had my ACA studs for almost 10 years now! They’re princess cuts and they’re about 1.5 ctw in yellow gold martini settings. In fact, they’re the reason I joined PS! I needed help finding good ones and the wonderful people here pointed me to WF.

I love WF’s upgrade policy and I keep meaning to use it for a larger pair of studs, but other projects keep taking priority. And honestly? I’m kind of in love with my current pair! Around 3/4 carat in each ear just feels like a great size for me and I’m hesitant to part with them! :lol:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am also a vote for getting ACAs... I’ve had a few different studs I’ve purchased elsewhere and none have come remotely close to sparkle and light show I’ve observed in my ACAs. I received comments/compliments all the time. I’m also glad for the generous upgrade policy - which I’m using right now to upgrade to a 1.26ct pair.

Ya know what.... I’m sending my .83ct in now. They’re G/SI1s, which were a great find at the time since matched pairs in that size range weren’t plentiful. If your budget is somewhat flexible, they may work with the W 4-prong or 3-prong martinis and not terribly exceed your budget. I’m not sure how quickly WF relists pairs, but it maybe worth connecting with them if you’re interested.

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
How the studs look depend on how meaty your lobes are.

I'm inclined to suggest that instead of rushing to get studs for your wedding, get some pretty pearls or fakes for the wedding and save a little and wait for the perfect pair of ACAs to come along.

I so wanted to go this way in my brain, but I specifically spent down on my dress (<<$400) and other accessories with the goal of buying jewelry. With a dress so minimal, I was thinking a wedding would be a convenient excuse to splurge on some studs! After reading all these high remarks about ACAs, I feel more confident in spending up a bit. Still will research my options, but I think I would be very comfortable with a 4mm-4.5mm stone. I'll probably take @diamondseeker2006 advice and put them in the 14K YG 3-prong martinis. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I am also a vote for getting ACAs... I’ve had a few different studs I’ve purchased elsewhere and none have come remotely close to sparkle and light show I’ve observed in my ACAs. I received comments/compliments all the time. I’m also glad for the generous upgrade policy - which I’m using right now to upgrade to a 1.26ct pair.

Ya know what.... I’m sending my .83ct in now. They’re G/SI1s, which were a great find at the time since matched pairs in that size range weren’t plentiful. If your budget is somewhat flexible, they may work with the W 4-prong or 3-prong martinis and not terribly exceed your budget. I’m not sure how quickly WF relists pairs, but it maybe worth connecting with them if you’re interested.
Thanks! I will definitely inquire, I wonder how much over it would be. This begins the slippery slope...:lol-2:

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
I was informed by WF that a J VS2 is coming up, 0.85carats for right about 2k (after wire transfer with cheaper settings). Not sure if I should just save the $500 and go for 0.67cts (the I SI1s) or go bigger for the J vs2. Any input would be appreciated on what would you do! Thanks!!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was informed by WF that a J VS2 is coming up, 0.85carats for right about 2k (after wire transfer with cheaper settings). Not sure if I should just save the $500 and go for 0.67cts (the I SI1s) or go bigger for the J vs2. Any input would be appreciated on what would you do! Thanks!!

Nice! I had started off shopping for a .65ct pair, however, when I came upon the .83ct, I jumped on the opportunity. I’ve included a cropped pic to show how they look on me - and I don’t have dainty lobes! :lol:

The only thing I would suggest you think through is how you feel about the J color. My upgrade pair will be Js too, however, I happen to like warmer stones. I think they will be fine, but you’ll need to consider if it’s within your tolerance level. That said, the great thing about ACAs is you can always change that aspect with relative ease. =)2

A29660E0-6346-4D54-A825-79D1D4D138D3.jpeg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd be fine with J's on my ears - they will be noticeably larger and totally worth the little extra!

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm all about things I can see. For me, easier to see .85 ctw vs. .67ctw than J vs. I

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have J’s. In white gold. 3.0 CTW. Bright, sparkly diamonds. Try out the J’s. I bet you’ll like them!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was informed that an 0.4carats I would be hard to get matched in my time frame and budget. A J should be easier. I don't think I'm super color sensitive, I have a J for an ER and I quite like it, but its GIA, should I be worried about an AGS J?

My .33ct each ACA are J/VS2. They're on my ears, so others see them more than I do, lol. But, the YG really works well with a J ears3.jpg

ears2.jpg
ears1.jpg

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No love for CBIs for studs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results