shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I break up this ruby ring?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I have this giant ruby ring. The stone itself is clarity enhanced (well, I think it must be because it was a cheap price). I feel like, pretty though it is, it therefore do not “deserve” it’s massive crown of diamonds.

Plus the ring is so blingy and ginormous that I almost never wear it. I wore it once to the theatre and had to stop clapping because the thing was banging around and hurting my finger - just humongous. Even for me.

67F20C97-FCE2-4570-9D99-C2AAED8E3F54.jpeg

I thought I could reset the ruby in a more simple pave setting like the one below and use the pear diamonds to make a tennis bracelet. Maybe pears alternating with rounds?

1F33D101-B129-4A64-8CDA-C2271F3861D8.png

Or should I leave her in her Kardashian-esque glory?

Honestly I love it as it is but I am the blingiest bling ho this side of the Milky Way.

Your inspo ring is also beautiful, and if the ring in its current state is impractical to wear, I can see the value in getting it reset - would depend on the price of the setting and how much wear I could get out of it!

What would drive me into resetting wouldn’t be if the ruby “deserves” the setting, because I tend to look at jewelry, like a ring, as a composite piece vs the setting as a “dress” for a stone; but the impracticality of the piece as is.

What is the size of the pear halo? I counted and there are 16 stones, so maybe an eternity ring (sized for index or middle maybe) is a better bet than a tennis bracelet. I would feel like the stones might get a little “lost” in a bracelet especially since your taste from what I remember tends towards blingy as well!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Ha ha! Yes I do love my bling. Trouble is I just don’t wear this. I’ve got a honking emerald too which is just a big which I do actually wear but this one I rarely put on unless it’s to a black tie event (barely remember those these days).

There are 16 pears around it and two down the shank so 18 altogether. They are c. 4-4.5mm long. I think from memory they are either 20 or 25 points a stone. Which would be either 3.6ct weight or 4.5ct weight. Must be 20pts each I think.

I’d definitely have to add to them for a bracelet. The pears alone would get me 8 or 9cms of bracelet. If I added a round in between each one and a small gap (which is the style I prefer) I’d get to the required 16.5cms.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a bit like this

8EF2D56A-AE54-4EEE-8A52-A8E60148A8BD.png

Or I could use them to make the most blingy earring jackets ever LOL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those pears feel too small for a bracelet. I would keep them for a future project (sidestones for ring, matching drop earrings, etc).

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Well I’m glad I asked. I trust both your judgement.

I think perhaps keeping them for other projects is a good idea. I want to set two little 4mm round sapphires and perhaps I could use a few in that design. Maybe something like this - but slightly smaller round centres.

E084033A-83EA-4C32-AF24-9BD6D7C3D54D.jpeg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like your original setting, as well as the inspiration pic. Since you're not comfortable wearing it as is, I would reset it. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with the pears.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone and ring. No ideas for what to do with the pears but to me it’s a no brainer - I would reset it if you will wear it more.

I have a not dissimilar in size emerald. It’s in a simple vintage gold setting, no diamonds. I don’t wear it all the time because it’s an emerald but I really enjoy wearing it (once a week maybe). I enjoy it because the setting is simple, the emerald is absolutely the star of the show and because of that it doesn’t feel too OTT or dressy. I am sure many people due to the absence of diamonds would think I have a green glass marble on my finger and that’s fine by me!

As an aside when I was looking at emerald rings I was deciding between this ring and two others. One was also a cabochon but in an elaborate Art Deco setting and the other was in a big 1950s diamond setting. I ultimately choose the one I have because I loved the size of the stone and the appearance side on is just so beautiful. But now I know I would not have been nearly as happy with the other rings as I would have felt they were too much for wearing more than once in a blue moon and that would have disappointed me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love the the ring AND I love the inspo setting but you said the current setting is too blingy and big; to me your inspo setting is also big and blingy. Also it doesn't look like an inexpensive project so I'm curious as to why that would be your chosen reset?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t change it.
I’m not sure the logic is sound to say it’s not worth the setting it’s in so I’m going to spend 2k on a setting.

But also I like it how it is.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the origonal too - but your not wearing it and its uncomfortable
Would having it sized for your index finger help?
I also love the inspirational picture

As far as a stone being deserving ....?
Does/ will it bring joy to you ?
What's the price of happiness?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like it as is. Have you thought about having it sized for your middle finger?

I'd reset the ruby if it's pretty much unwearable as it is now. How wide is the ruby itself? I'd just be worried that resetting it to a pave setting like your inspo pic may still make it too wide for comfort.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
If you aren't wearing it now, but would in a different setting, that is certainly a good reason to go for it. But I also love your ring as is, and want to support you in embracing the bling :)

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I would leave it & wear it more often.

It looks lovely on your hand

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t change it.
I’m not sure the logic is sound to say it’s not worth the setting it’s in so I’m going to spend 2k on a setting.

But also I like it how it is.

Ah you see it’s not about the cost of the setting. It’s the mental mismatch of putting something high quality with something lower quality. Like setting a flawless paraiba in silver. Or a synthetic spinel in platinum. I know people do it all the time - and that’s totally fine, everyone should have what they love. But for me, I don’t know why, it sort of mentally jars. If the ruby wasn’t clarity enhanced it wouldn’t niggle at me. It’s my own peculiarity.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the origonal too - but your not wearing it and its uncomfortable
Would having it sized for your index finger help?
I also love the inspirational picture

As far as a stone being deserving ....?
Does/ will it bring joy to you ?
What's the price of happiness?

I like it as is. Have you thought about having it sized for your middle finger?

Actually I always thought I would wear it more if it had a wider band and I could fit it on my pointer. Maybe I should consider that. Thank you!

OR I could add them to my multicolour sapphire bracelet......

Well I’m glad I asked. I trust both your judgement.

I think perhaps keeping them for other projects is a good idea. I want to set two little 4mm round sapphires and perhaps I could use a few in that design. Maybe something like this - but slightly smaller round centres.

E084033A-83EA-4C32-AF24-9BD6D7C3D54D.jpeg

For this earring I think you’d need pears of two sizes to get the same effect, so you could use some of your pears in the earring and some of them in your bracelet... just a thought. I love these earrings.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the the ring AND I love the inspo setting but you said the current setting is too blingy and big; to me your inspo setting is also big and blingy. Also it doesn't look like an inexpensive project so I'm curious as to why that would be your chosen reset?

Interesting you should I ask. I do have a reason. I just got these made.

8047E164-C756-4B89-8559-D8F3809CAB39.jpeg

I thought a setting similar to the insp picture with the same micropave as my earrings would make a nice set. I’m a bit obsessed with having earrings and rings that go together.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your input, it’s really helpful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah you see it’s not about the cost of the setting. It’s the mental mismatch of putting something high quality with something lower quality. Like setting a flawless paraiba in silver. Or a synthetic spinel in platinum. I know people do it all the time - and that’s totally fine, everyone should have what they love. But for me, I don’t know why, it sort of mentally jars. If the ruby wasn’t clarity enhanced it wouldn’t niggle at me. It’s my own peculiarity.
So you feel it makes more sense to pay for a brand new setting an a “sub par” stone than it does to leave it how it is?
I guess if you wanted to justify leaving it you could say you don’t want to throw good money after bad at a “sub par “ stone. But I suspect you want to justify changing it. I don’t think anyone in this community is going to say this stone doesn’t “deserve “ this setting- but I suspect you know what you want to do and we won’t change you mind.

And did I misunderstand or youre just assuming treatment?

I thought a setting similar to the insp picture with the same micropave as my earrings would make a nice set. I’m a bit obsessed with having earrings and rings that go together.

I get the impulse - I do think it would go well together as a set and I do love sets!

So yeah I would do it :D depends on if you have found a good use for the pears though.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Those are pretty :) So maybe this is the main reason? I do love the inspo piece.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So you feel it makes more sense to pay for a brand new setting an a “sub par” stone than it does to leave it how it is?
I guess if you wanted to justify leaving it you could say you don’t want to throw good money after bad at a “sub par “ stone. But I suspect you want to justify changing it. I don’t think anyone in this community is going to say this stone doesn’t “deserve “ this setting- but I suspect you know what you want to do and we won’t change you mind.

And did I misunderstand or youre just assuming treatment?

I don’t see the stone as subpar. I would just rather use those diamonds for a stone which “match” them better - or something else diamond-y. And for all the reasons I stated above ie not wearing it and it being uncomfortable.

I also don’t consider it “good money after bad”. I’ve enjoyed this ring and most of the money I spent on the setting was in diamond value - setting where I live is very affordable. And resetting my jewellery, tweaking it, finding new stones and making complimentary pieces and matching them etc. is my joy - like most people on here.

For the price I paid it can only be treated. A stone this size which was untreated would have cost many, many times what I paid. I bought it from a very reputable local jeweller who I’ve known for years. It didn’t have a cert and he said it’s almost certainly glass filled. Which is fine by me. It’s like a big juicy gob stopper and I love the stone. Treated or not.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Those are pretty :) So maybe this is the main reason? I do love the inspo piece.

I’ve thought about resetting it in a vague way over the years. Having seen it languishing in my jewellery box - especially as I’ve bought more red rings and it falls further down the list of what I actually reach for. But having these earrings finished definitely gave me a little push to perhaps take the idea forward.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see the stone as subpar. I would just rather use those diamonds for a stone which “match” them better - or something else diamond-y. And for all the reasons I stated above ie not wearing it and it being uncomfortable.

I also don’t consider it “good money after bad”. I’ve enjoyed this ring and most of the money I spent on the setting was in diamond value - setting where I live is very affordable. And resetting my jewellery, tweaking it, finding new stones and making complimentary pieces and matching them etc. is my joy - like most people on here.

For the price I paid it can only be treated. A stone this size which was untreated would have cost many, many times what I paid. I bought it from a very reputable local jeweller who I’ve known for years. It didn’t have a cert and he said it’s almost certainly glass filled. Which is fine by me. It’s like a big juicy gob stopper and I love the stone. Treated or not.

Sounds to me like you’ve got a firm sense of what you want to do. :)

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m trending towards the reset Neil. But I remember how thrilled I was with the sheer drama of this ring when I got it and how long I took to choose the setting. And I worry I will miss it when it’s gone LOL!

Gah! I used to be so much more frivolous and glam in my tastes. I’m definitely getting more conservative as I get older. Looking at more wearable every day stuff. Even bands, which never used to interest me at all.

thecatmom

Rough_Rock
So I have this giant ruby ring. The stone itself is clarity enhanced (well, I think it must be because it was a cheap price). I feel like, pretty though it is, it therefore do not “deserve” it’s massive crown of diamonds.

Plus the ring is so blingy and ginormous that I almost never wear it. I wore it once to the theatre and had to stop clapping because the thing was banging around and hurting my finger - just humongous. Even for me.

67F20C97-FCE2-4570-9D99-C2AAED8E3F54.jpeg

I thought I could reset the ruby in a more simple pave setting like the one below and use the pear diamonds to make a tennis bracelet. Maybe pears alternating with rounds?

1F33D101-B129-4A64-8CDA-C2271F3861D8.png

Or should I leave her in her Kardashian-esque glory?

Dare I say this is the most exquisite ring I have come across in a long long time! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results