shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your #1 Diamond Cleaning TIp to keep it sparkling!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my tip!
:read:
*Take Dawn (blue) dishwashing liquid and drop 2 drops in a small bowl
* Using your kitchen sink sprayer, spray very very warm water on the drops of Dawn in the bowl, so they turn into suds and gets mixed together
* Now drop your rings in the bowl and let it sit there overnight +, approx 16 hours.
* After this time, take the rings out and using the liquid in the bowl, take a small ring cleaner brush and gently brush under the diamond and the sides. I gently super gently swipe the top.
* Rinse the rings in lukewarm/warm water
* BLOT dry with a bounty or soft lint-free cloth (prevents water spots)
Super sparkly diamond revealed!

THe Dawn breaks up the oil and film on the stone. They say that oils and film gets on the stone and dirt is attracted to it like a magnet, so it's good to clean it a couple times a week or at least once a week. :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY hot water. I boil the water before I add it to the container with Dawn in it. Then I add my jewelry. You only need to soak for 20 minutes this way. Not overnight.

I only clean mine maybe once every couple of weeks this way. But I don't wear them in the house and I don't do messy things with them. The cleaner you keep your ring, the easier it is to clean it each time.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
interesting, I usually only soak for like 5 mins or so...I will definitely soak longer next time!

I also use a small "go between" toothbrush to gently clean underneath the side stones...and I also use my new Jewel Jet!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With 4 kids my rings are going in and out of Dawn all day!!!!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Dawn is great for diamonds set in white gold. for diamonds in yellow gold or platinum, make a solution of 2/3 ammonia and 1/3 water, heat (but not to boiling) and soak the diamonds in that before cleaning with a very soft toothbrush. (Child's paintbrush works too). this works better than Dawn, but white gold can't take it (due to the rhodium coating).
Dry with a blow-dryer on a low setting to avoid water spots
Always stay far away from the sink and use a sieve.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be Dawn, or does any dish soap work?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1317872281|3034350 said:
Does it have to be Dawn, or does any dish soap work?
There is something about Dawn that cuts grease.

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
I never use dish soap to clean things like this because many have some harsher chemicals that I'd be worried about, not to mention they tend to leave a film. What I've always found to work best is to do this:

Use filtered RO (reverse osmosis) water. Fill up a small cup and place your pieces in it to soak for about 15 minutes. Afterwords, use a soft bristled (usually synthetic) paintbrush to get in all of the crevices on top, sides and underneath the stones. Give a final rinse with RO water and then pat dry with a microfiber cloth. (Think something you use to clean glasses/sunglasses, which is anti-abrasive)

This always makes the pieces sparkle like crazy and look their best. No harsh chemicals, no dish soap film, and its very clean, quick and easy!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with you Motownmama! LOL

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I drop it in straight ammonia at night or whenever I remember. After it has been soaking a bit I get an interdental brush and scrub it a little.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use ammonia on my platinum rings... I forgot that. I mix it in with the Dawn and hot water.

No matter piece it is though I brush it down with a toothbrush after 5 minutes then again after a thorough soaking. The first loosens everything the second makes sure it all gets off.

yfzcentral

Rough_Rock
I do everything above, BUT after I've cleaned it, I dip it in a bowl with standard blue Windex. I take it out, dry it and THEN spray it with...wait for it...glasses cleaner (those little bottles you get from the optometrist)

Comes out beautiful!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! You ladies are even more OCD than me, he he!! :wink2: :)) DH thinks I'm cuckoo since I seem to be cleaning my bling everyday. However, when I feel lazy or can't be bothered, I just soak them in hot boiling water mixed with washing up liquid for abt 10 mins and then soak them again for another 5 mins (no need for brushing) in boiling water agan and voila, we're good to go! :twirl:

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I keep alcohol wipes in my purse. Whenever I feel like my diamonds looks grungy I just give them a little wipe. Sometimes I don't even bother taking my studs out. It certainly isn't a deep cleaning, but it does the trick.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I do the dawn with hot water and also rinse with hot water. I then soak them in rubbing alcohol for two minutes and then blow dry. Super sparkly!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I do the dawn with hot water and also rinse with hot water. I then soak them in rubbing alcohol for two minutes and then blow dry. Super sparkly!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dawn is good stuf. Palmolive is good stuf. Mr. Clean is good stuf. Simple green is good stuf. Windex is good stuf. As was pointed out above, the goal is to break down the grease bond. The back side of the stone tends to get coated with oil from your skin and that oil acts as glue for the dirt and dust from the rest of the world. Break down the oil and it's easy to wash away the crud.

I clean every piece as part of the appraisal process and occasionally they're pretty bad when I start. I go at them with a soft tooth brush and a solution of Mr. Clean and hot water followed by a blast with a steam cleaner.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have alternative methods, every day I do a different one.

1) Spray SparkleSparkle spray. Count to 30. Scrub a dub dub. Rinse with very warm water. Spray again. Count to 30 again. Rinse. Dry well with cotton swaps, paper towels and a blowdrier.

2) Spray SparkleSparkle. Count to 30. Scrub. Place into small dish with a capful of Mr Clean and Ammonia mixed with very warm water. Soak for a while til water starts to cool. Rinse well with warm water. Dry well like above.

3) Steam. Spray sparkle sparkle. Count to 30. Scrub. Rinse well. Steam again. Dry well like above.

4) Scrub with 91% rubbing alcohol on a little brush. Soak in 91% alcohol for a little while (while I shower usually). Rinse. Wipe stone with pointy cotton swab dipped in clean alcohol.

...I might have a problem.

In a pinch I wash my hands with BBW antibac soap. Then dry well.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Don't know if this is possible- but does anyone feel that the steam cleaners can actually make your ring look worse/more dirty? I know this sounds crazy, but I could've sworn that my diamond looked terrible after using the Jewel Jet. Granted, I didnt have my loupe yet, so that oil/dirt could've been caked there for awhile, but I really felt that after I used the JJ my ring looked dull and cloudy. Is this nuts to think this? After all the scrubbing and soaking I did the other day, my stone looks alot better, but I still see spots/dust/dirt on the table. I think I'm going to go pick up some Dawn and really let it soak overnite. :))

stci

Ideal_Rock
I always keep it simple...

Item need:

1-Two Little glass bowls
2- Dawn dish liquid
3- Baby toothbrush
4- Really hot water

Method:

1- Add one drop of Dawn in a bowl + hot water
2- Plunge the jewels in the bowl
3- Let it 15 minutes
4- Brush it meticulously
5- Plunge it in the really hot water and brush
6- Let it dry. If nnecessary, use a glass cloth to polish

Add:

Avoid hard water is better

Joolz

Rough_Rock
For those of you that use a blow dryer or qtip, etc to dry off the water spots, do you take off your rings to wash your hands? I started taking mine off when washing my hands at work but I am terrified at some point I will forget to put it back on!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I just dry with a paper towel REALLY well.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
As stated above by Neil and others, my appraiser used and recommended Mr. Clean diluted in water with a brush.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I like a dollup of MR Clean in the ultrasonic.

Generally followed by jewel jet except mine just broke after only 18 months! OK, this is more than 1 tip but I love my coinnoissers diamond dazzle stick for travel and touch ups.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use alcohol hand wipes between deeper cleanings.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can eliminate 90% of the water spot problem associated with the jewel jet by using distilled water in it.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Hi.
Could you post a photo of Mr Clean that you use for your diamonds?

FordFairlane

Rough_Rock
Level 1 (Regularly)

Creamy Hand Soap, Hot Boiling Water and a small tooth brush
My wife does this and it comes out decent.

Level 2 (When I feel like it for her)

Level 1 + Couple sprays of windex, couple drops of Sunlight or Dawn put directly into SS ultrasonic tank. Then fill with water that was recently boiled in the Gemoro Ultrasonic for about 5 minutes.

You can leave Ultrasonic off and keep soaking for 30 minutes in the tank if necessary (usually isn't)

Take it out with plastic tweezers and dry with a hair drier alternating hot and cold air.

Level 3 (Only on special occasions)

Level 2 + Jewel Jet steam cleaning + Hair Drier on hot and cold air.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
valchiria|1317919735|3034654 said:
Hi.
Could you post a photo of Mr Clean that you use for your diamonds?
This is what I use...anything will do. Would not use bleach based stuff though.

fabreeze.jpg

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Kelpie, I'll try to find it :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results