shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings for Octagon shaped stones please post photos and vendors

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just purchased an Octagon stone and am trying to decide on a setting. I have searched PS and not found very many actual Octagon stones. Some vendors do beautiful work but I don't know if they set outside stones. Pleas post photos and vendor links if you have them. I plan to set this stone into a ring. I'd also like to address the issue of how expensive settings are compared to the stones they house.

I expect the stone to be a bit darker than this photo and am waiting for it to arrive.

The stone is a 2.08 ct Umbalite Garnet cut by Jeff Davies and measures 7.28 mm x 4.97 mm
Umbalite 2.08.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A round setting would do as well if you're not planning on a halo or surrounding metal.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! @T L So far I am not a bezel or halo kinda gal. I don't want the stone to go too dark so I think bezels are out for this stone.

ETA: I have no idea of what size setting I'm looking for if searching for a round setting for my Octagon!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like a deep stone, so I would worry more about that then the shape. A standard 8mm setting might be able to fit it. I would consult with a jeweler to see.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @T L my jeweler likes to measure the stone himself before saying what will work. So that'll have to wait till I have the stone in hand.

What do you all think about this setting? Is the setting itself too busy for the stone? It does become a split shank if the stone is widened.

Stuller 71961 setting.jpg

Last edited:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This setting has a narrower shank but is very detailed. Something about 4 prongs on an 8 sided stone has me unsure though of these settings.

Stuller 71906 for umbalite.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an 8 prong basket setting. Traditional but not at all vintage. Will something like this work with the cut of my stone? It is a heavier setting, which means more gold. But I don't think it looks chunky or too modern. Does it?

Stuller 71734 for umbilte.jpg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2003B15C-3B02-460E-B695-92A84C10E22F.jpeg
Here is an 8 prong basket setting. Traditional but not at all vintage. Will something like this work with the cut of my stone? It is a heavier setting, which means more gold. But I don't think it looks chunky or too modern. Does it?

Stuller 71734 for umbilte.jpg
My umbalite earrings are in the same cut and set that way.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2003B15C-3B02-460E-B695-92A84C10E22F.jpeg
My umbalite earrings are in the same cut and set that way.

Love those earrings! Do you have any photos from the side?

ETA: Why did you go with White instead of Yellow metal? Did it pull out a certain color from the stone?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spending my evening searching all the Pricescope Assher and Emerald Cut threads for setting ideas. I really like the modern looking ones and the antiques. Hope you all don't mind me pulling photos from other threads into this thread. It gives theses stunning rings extra viewing time. :D

1) These cuts look great in Bezels. Since I have a garnet and don't want it to look too dark that setting is out. @LaurenThePartier classic PS.
img-207090a-jpg.515011

2) What I'd call "Tab Prongs" seem very popular. This is by @bbfifas
po-bbfifas-jpg.170520

3) A very modern take on Tab prongs by @chrono
jw_spinel_2_1-jpg.336226

4) Split prongs. @Sophie Assher Lover's ring by GOG
octavia-asscher-vatch%C3%A9-double-x-prong-top-jpg.248375

5) Split prongs that turn into claws over the stone @bright ice
_5919-jpeg.474385

6) Claw prongs. This is @Kismet Chyrsoberyl by BGD
kiz-bgdchrysoring-jpg.238431

7) Double Claw Prongs on cokitty's ruby. I don't think my jeweler can do such dainty prongs.
13rtr_sk_08-jpg.524466

8) @ecf8503 rounded prongs
img_1806-jpg.367003

9) @SpoiledByHim shows this rounded prong look with 8 evenly spaced prongs. This is the only one I've seen like this.
_17408-jpg.394103

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
98232BFD-39E9-4992-8648-8F2100C6B49C.jpeg
Love those earrings! Do you have any photos from the side?

ETA: Why did you go with White instead of Yellow metal? Did it pull out a certain color from the stone?
Thank you! I know you asked for this info last night, but I’m just now getting to it. Here is a picture of the side view. I chose white metal because it looked best with the stones. It made them pop. I find it almost impossible to photograph my umbalites. They are lighter, brighter and prettier than I can capture on my iPhone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
98232BFD-39E9-4992-8648-8F2100C6B49C.jpeg
Thank you! I know you asked for this info last night, but I’m just now getting to it. Here is a picture of the side view. I chose white metal because it looked best with the stones. It made them pop. I find it almost impossible to photograph my umbalites. They are lighter, brighter and prettier than I can capture on my iPhone.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I really like the side view too. :)) I like gems in baskets. Sounds like these umbalites are very hard to photograph. I will definitely try yellow, rose and white with mine once it arrives. I'm hoping it will be light and bright enough for me to set it.

S

SparkliesLuver

Here's one of my favorites. :) Just modify it for your stone. I love all those claw prongs!

IMG_7079.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one of my favorites. :) Just modify it for your stone. I love all those claw prongs!

IMG_7079.JPG

STUNNING :-o Where is it from? I bet it's about 100 times more expensive than the stone I'm waiting on.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha I'm glad you like it too. :) I've had it saved for years, but I believe it's from Caysie at CvB or Erika Winters. However, I know David Klass has done similar ones, and he's more affordable. If you love it, at least ask him for a quote. You never know!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking the time to respond! I really like the side view too. :)) I like gems in baskets. Sounds like these umbalites are very hard to photograph. I will definitely try yellow, rose and white with mine once it arrives. I'm hoping it will be light and bright enough for me to set it.
I like gem baskets too. Your umbalite will be beautiful! I just think that fluorescent lights are not their friends.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha I'm glad you like it too. :) I've had it saved for years, but I believe it's from Caysie at CvB or Erika Winters. However, I know David Klass has done similar ones, and he's more affordable. If you love it, at least ask him for a quote. You never know!

I may ask about it. I have issues with spending so much money on a setting when the stone didn't cost that much. You have many lovely settings. Do you just get the setting you think is best for the stone and not look at the price? Hopefully my question is clear.

S

SparkliesLuver

I may ask about it. I have issues with spending so much money on a setting when the stone didn't cost that much. You have many lovely settings. Do you just get the setting you think is best for the stone and not look at the price? Hopefully my question is clear.

It can't hurt to ask. :) You might be surprised! I can understand why some people have issues spending more on a setting than they did the stone. I guess I look at it a bit differently. I want the setting to do the stone justice, whatever that means. If I loved the stone enough to buy and keep it, I want to make sure the setting speaks to me just as strongly. Not saying people who spend less on the setting don't have that same outcome. Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. :) Thank you for your kind words about my settings.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Great gem, Stone Hunter. Looking forward to seeing it set!
I was just quickly cruising through and thought I'd share in case it is helpful- this is my sister's hexagon ammy in a budget my diamond zone 6 prong setting. It has held up great to lots of wear, actually, it is one of her favorite rings.

Obviously you would be looking at an 8 prong setting, but, just to give an idea of how that looks with the angularity of the gem. I like it.

tracy's ammy profile.jpg tracy's ammy.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can't hurt to ask. :) You might be surprised! I can understand why some people have issues spending more on a setting than they did the stone. I guess I look at it a bit differently. I want the setting to do the stone justice, whatever that means. If I loved the stone enough to buy and keep it, I want to make sure the setting speaks to me just as strongly. Not saying people who spend less on the setting don't have that same outcome. Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. :) Thank you for your kind words about my settings.

I think I understand your point. I don't know how much I am willing to pay for "just a setting" while you are looking at it as "the whole package." That is food for thought. :think: Thanks for your help.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great gem, Stone Hunter. Looking forward to seeing it set!
I was just quickly cruising through and thought I'd share in case it is helpful- this is my sister's hexagon ammy in a budget my diamond zone 6 prong setting. It has held up great to lots of wear, actually, it is one of her favorite rings.

Obviously you would be looking at an 8 prong setting, but, just to give an idea of how that looks with the angularity of the gem. I like it.

tracy's ammy.jpg

This is LOVELY!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results