shape
carat
color
clarity

My octagon opal ring is finished!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
So this was kind of a big project for me, and I'm really happy with how it came out! It's almost exactly how I pictured, which is pretty amazing. It's been 6 weeks since I sent off the stone and it still isn't back in my hands, so there's more waiting to do. Ack, :errrr: I haven't had to wait like this since making an e-ring and I hated it then too.

Here is the opal unset. These were taken outside. It's 7mm, mostly transparent with a pale gold body, blue sheen, and teal flashes. It's not a screamer, but the subtle color makes the facet pattern more obvious and I think it's really unique. My original thread on the stone: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hmmm-an-octagon-faceted-opal.173766/?onlytrade=false

P4040031%20(800x602).jpg

P4040056%20(800x600).jpg

These are Sally's pics, which were taken inside. She wasn't happy with all of the pictures, thinking maybe they make the bezel look lopsided, which she said it isn't. It looks beautiful to me though. I love, love, love the view from the top. I've wanted to work with Sally for a long time now, so this was a treat for me and she's just as wonderful as everyone says - so creative, responsive, and fun. I wear a size 8, the ring is sterling silver, the accents are 18k yellow gold.

il_570xN.342154486.jpg

il_570xN.342035993.jpg

il_570xN.342036013.jpg

il_570xN.342036003.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my!!! That's gorgeous! I love the iolani setting and anything by HoW Your beautiful stone is even more spectacular in that setting! Love the two toned look. :love: :love:
Can't wait till you finally get it and can post hand shots - it will look amazing!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Unique and lovely - enjoy it! :appl:

I'm crazy about opals and I always love it when I come across one that is in a custom and out-of-the-ordinary setting. I think yours looks great! The bezel really makes it, in my opinion!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is quite a beautiful ring and really enhances the stone. More photos - inside and outside - when you get it?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
very pretty! She did a beautiful job of setting it!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone and it looks amazing in that setting. I love your taste in jewelry (I've always admired your e-ring!).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful bezel!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi, thank you! You were so encouraging when I was brainstorming ideas. I love the Iolani setting too. This is supposed to be a combination of the Iolani and Grace. The basket is not quite how I pictured in my mind, but it is still magical.

Thank you, Tanzigrrl! Your opal is just amazing :love:

Yes, Minous :mrgreen: I look forward to a photoshoot at home. Now that it's set, I won't worry so much about the wind blowing it away again!

Pinkjewel, Sally and her artists are amazing aren't they? I'm thankful they were willing to work with my opal and treated it with such care and skill.

Aaaw, Lula, thank you so much for those words. That means so much to me!

Thank you, Arkteia, I'm really happy with how the bezel turned out. I'm also glad I went with yellow gold instead of rose, and I'm normally not a yellow gold person at all.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Lovely ring - it has a soft freshness/lightness to it that I really like. I hope you will post outside pics once the ring is in your hands! :))

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, that's beautiful. I love the opal: such character! Handshots sooooon please :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very "watery" - I hope to see hand pics soon.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Kim, that's a wonderful complement.

It's so nice that you like it, Maebelle ::)

Natsplat and Chrono, how kind of you both.

I'll come back with more photos after I get it. Now if I could just borrow a lovely hand for handshots!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pure elegance, opulence, and stunningly simple in design. oh, did i say i like it?! well, that's not the truth: i LOVE it! nicely done!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie said:
pure elegance, opulence, and stunningly simple in design. oh, did i say i like it?! well, that's not the truth: i LOVE it! nicely done!

An eloquent expression of everything I was thinking :love: I can't imagine a more complementary setting for your opal. I imagine that's the sort of piece you could sit and just stare at for hours and hours...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
VERY cool ring! That setting is perfect for your opal, that turned out to be one beautiful piece!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely! Very unique! :love:

minigirl

Rough_Rock
Congratuations! it is so cute

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
MZ and Yssie, wow thank you so much for the amazing complements. I was looking for an opal, but I certainly didn't realize it would end up being this one. It was definitely a challenge finding the right design.

Stargurl, thank you for that! Your aqua Iolani was actually one of the inspiration photos I sent Sally while we were designing it. I'm sad that the basket couldn't come out more like yours, but what can you do. Thank you for sharing that ring though. Did you end up selling it?

Thanks Kenny! :bigsmile:

Mini, you are too sweet!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I really like how your ring turned out, it's stunning :appl: I can't wait for the hand shots!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! It looks great with the rose gold details.

jacy

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I've never seen an opal cut like that before! I love the blue shimmer! Beautiful two-tone setting for it, too. Enjoy!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
bluebirrrd said:
MZ and Yssie, wow thank you so much for the amazing complements. I was looking for an opal, but I certainly didn't realize it would end up being this one. It was definitely a challenge finding the right design.

Stargurl, thank you for that! Your aqua Iolani was actually one of the inspiration photos I sent Sally while we were designing it. I'm sad that the basket couldn't come out more like yours, but what can you do. Thank you for sharing that ring though. Did you end up selling it?

Thanks Kenny! :bigsmile:

Mini, you are too sweet!

Yay, I'm glad my ring helped to inspire you! :appl: I really do love the basket on mine, but your ring turned out beautifully too :love: I didn't end up selling it but I plan to re-post it on diamond bistro in the very near future with a few other colored stone items. I just find that I am not wearing them as much as I thought I would.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Back with IRL photos! Can you believe Sally put it in the mail Tuesday and it arrived today (Saturday)? I'm over the moon!

First handshots, they were all outdoors. These are in shade, dappled shade, and full sun. The first two I took immediately, when it was "fresh out of the package" and I swear to you, it's become more translucent in the last hour. Upon arrival and in Sally's photos, it definitely looked more transparent than it ever did before. Humidity is currently 80% in Chiang Mai and here it's only 20%.

P6090016%20(1024x768)%20(685x514).jpg P6090017%20(1024x768)%20(685x513).jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are amazing photos!!! It looks like a dreamy, ethereal vision in every lighting situation - stunning! Such a gorgeous ring - setting AND stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results