shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Question - choices and prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I''m trying to set my pink spinel. I have two choices right now. I''m not sure they are the best choice for this stone. I''m also curious on if you think the prices are fair. So here''s the first one.

This one has 36 1 point diamonds. Just over 1/3 carat then. They would be VS and my price is $670 that includes setting.

split_shank_hb.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I should note in the above setting those are not the diamonds I would get. They would be replaced.

This second setting would be in white gold. It''s pictured in yellow. Ignore that. Obviously the diamonds need to be set. It takes 48 1 point diamonds - so almost 1/2 carat. The price is $797 including setting.

setting_HB.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never been through this process before. So I''m not sure if these are fair prices. I mean surely there is formula to use based on approx cost of gold and cost per carat of tiny little diamonds right? I don''t know!

I like the split shank on the first one - but not the basket too much. I like the double row of diamonds on the band of the second one. I''m torn and I''m also not sure if these setting will show off my stone the best. I need PS help!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock

I don''t know much about dollar prices for settings (I''m from Europe), but I can tell you I like the first one better. It just seems like it''s done better (especially looking at the prongs; they''re nicely done and not overly noticable) and being more geometric it would IMO do more justice to your stone. The second one has a rounded shank, so would IMO work better for a cushion. That one also looks quite heavy visually and your stone isn''t large so the setting might be somewhat overwhelming for it. BTW, are you sure about white metal? Don''t get me wrong, but it might make the stone seem even darker, while yellow would surely soften the contrast and give it more life. Of course, you can do whatever you like, and no one says you have to follow the rules, but I just wanted to make sure you understand the impact of metal''s color on the overall look of the piece.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for #1. I prefer the overall "softness". The split shank is lovely and I really like the pierced basket work. It's also a reasonable price. The head is nice and open on the underside so shouldn't darken your stone much.

#2 is a bit "blocky" looking but it would emphasize the shape of your Spinel. I think it's very expensive though. The head of this ring appears to bend inwards slightly at the bottom and you can see more metal when you look from the top into the ring. That might darken the stone when it's set.

Have you looked at lordofgemrings on Ebay? LOGR? You can upgrade his settings to VS and you'll have a wide choice for less or the same money.

In terms of gold colour - I've got a Spinel exactly the same as yours and haven't actually done anything with it because it's a bit on the dark side for me. However, it would go with either white or yellow gold - definitely not rose (but then I'm bucking the trend here because I'm not a fan of it anyway)! Can you actually take your stone into the store and place it on the ring to see how it looks with both?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t take my stone into the store for these rings. I''m working with an online seller.

I''m hesitant with LOGR. And if I end up paying the same amount of $ then I''d rather work with this person. That''s why I was asking thoughts on price.

I do think I like the first setting better. I do have pics with a pink stone in both of them. I will post.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. Whenever I get that undefined error when uploading a pic I can no longer attach to that post. Is there a way to "remove" the undefined attachment?

Here''s the first setting:

IMG_8968_HB.jpg

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Number 2

IMG_8878_HB.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe an LOGR would be much cheaper. Even with upgrades and setting fees.

I prefer #1 though.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 2:10:43 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I believe an LOGR would be much cheaper. Even with upgrades and setting fees.

I prefer #1 though.

How much cheaper? If I have to do a BIN and then upgrade the stones - well the price goes up fairly quickly. maybe I would be lucky to get a setting by winning at a low price, but from what I''ve read the quality is risky then.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you can remove a file once it''s attached - the only way to get round this is each time you get an error you cancel that post, rename your photo and start again. Not great I know.

I agree with Freke that I do think you can get the same for much less with LOGR but if you don''t feel comfortable then you should use your seller.

In terms of the settings I''d definitely go for #1 after seeing the pictures. I don''t like the V shaped claws on #2 either!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how much, because I haven''t bought them myself (I don''t like diamonds all that much), but it seems that a lot of PSers have gotten them for under $400. BEG, LTP and others would know better than I would. I bet they''ll be by later.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry we were cross posting! I''ve bought a number of LOGR settings. If you buy low at an auction and then upgrade the diamonds you usually get a great job. The only time the diamonds can be a bit dodgy is if you win an auction at a low price and don''t upgrade.

If the item is slightly more expensive and you do a BIN, the diamonds can be great and don''t need upgrading. I bought this as a BIN and didn''t upgrade. I have absolutely no complaints about the diamonds (and I''m fussy)!

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I also vote for an LOGR setting....I JUST picked my first one up from the jewelers today after having a blue/violet Dan spinel set in it, and believe it or not, my ring was the TALK OF THE STORE....they thought it was really expensive and absolutely beautiful. Now I don''t know if they are just not well "informed employees" (it was a "maul" store), or a combination of both. I also had the basket and prongs made in rose gold with the shank in white gold, and I had it sized to a 4.75........no problems at all! I will be posting it in a separate posting as soon as I get time to take pictures.

I was also hesitant about using LOGR, but I just couldn''t see spending so much more on the setting than I had on the beautiful spinel.

Clem

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds - what size is the stone in your LOGR setting? And if you don''t mind sharing, what is your ring size? Thanks! :)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
This stone is 5.14mm. I haven''t seen an LOGR setting that I like for that size. Any thoughts?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can get them customized for your size of stone. I wouldn't bezel your pink spinel though, I think it will darken it too much.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Well point me to a setting! I tend to like more delicate ones. Especially for this stone. Nothing is calling to me for a square. Can you set an asscher in one made for a princess?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think so. I''m in class so I have to put my computer away, but I have a 3 hr break after, so I''ll help you look around then.
1.gif

(I have a stone that I need to look into setting, and it''s a cushion, so I''m going to be looking for very similar settings anyway.)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 2:32:22 PM
Author: karee888
LovingDiamonds - what size is the stone in your LOGR setting? And if you don''t mind sharing, what is your ring size? Thanks! :)
The stone size is 7.75 x 7.75 and my ring size at that time was a size 7 (now a size 6!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 2:35:22 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
Well point me to a setting! I tend to like more delicate ones. Especially for this stone. Nothing is calling to me for a square. Can you set an asscher in one made for a princess?
Yes you can - just make sure there are regular prongs (like the one you showed in your first picture) and not V shaped prongs.

What sort of design are you looking for?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hoofbeats, your pink spinel is lovely!

I have quite a few LOGR settings, and I''ve been very happy with them. You can check out my past threads to see some detailed pics - I even have an ACA set in one! :)

I would look for anything that would work with a cushion for your setting . . . so maybe something like this modified to fit your spinel?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSHION-12MM-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-14K-WHITE-GOLD-RINGS_W0QQitemZ220367053284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item220367053284&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to be candid and hope you don''t mind. Please disregard if you don''t agree.

1. I think the pricing on both rings you are considering are high.
2. Split shank is a lovely design but I don''t think that ring works well with your spinel''s size. The diamonds on the halo are a little too big and they are competing with the center stone. Also due to the size of center stone, the split is not as wide as to make it a statement. If you like split shanks, I suggest to make the shanks narrower.
3. You spinel is on the darker size. If you are going to bezel it, make sure to keep the pavillion open to allow lights to go under the stone.
4. LOGR rings are much better deals - cost of diamond can be easily calculated yourself by using the total diamond weight x upgrade cost per carat (I believe $249) So if you ring has 0.36ct diamonds, it will cost you extra $90 to upgrade.

I will be happy to post some LOGR links tonight when I got home - don''t want to visit eBay at office
21.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it shouldn''t be bezeled. I believe I posted only prong settings.

I think the price is a bit high - which is what led me to post. What I didn''t state is that the price is 20% off! That makes it worse huh?

I think the Legacy setting is just too bulky for a 5mm stone. The whole thing would have to made smaller but I still don''t think it''s delicate enough. Is it easy to get LOGR to make the setting smaller?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
What about this setting? The stone in here is just under 7mm. The diamonds are .53 carat, SI 1-2/ G-H

Approx price is $500 I think. Still figuring out details on this one.

setting3_hb.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
LD - the first one is ok. It has V prongs though. The last two aren''t really my style. Though I can''t see all the pics of the third one. What I can see is that it''s got too much going on in the basket.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool, I see you''ve gotten some help. Do you want a bunch of diamonds for sure, or would something from Stuller or one of those other companies work? And where would you get the first settings from?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aqua with the Legacy setting. Of course, it''s much too big, but the 7.5mm would probably work with the stock setting size.

original.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results