shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Question - choices and prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:35:17 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I agree that it shouldn''t be bezeled. I believe I posted only prong settings.

I think the price is a bit high - which is what led me to post. What I didn''t state is that the price is 20% off! That makes it worse huh?

I think the Legacy setting is just too bulky for a 5mm stone. The whole thing would have to made smaller but I still don''t think it''s delicate enough. Is it easy to get LOGR to make the setting smaller?
Sorry, I just went back and read this post, so ignore the post with the Asscher in the Legacy.

My e-ring is a 5 mm Asscher, and I have a small metal bezel/halo around it. It gives it a bit of oomph, and helps to visually extend the size. With a gemstone like yours, you''re going to get 5mm of colour, and that''s it. I think a halo might help bulk it up a bit, but you''re right - the Legacy-esque setting is going to still have a larger halo, and compete with your 5mm of pink spinel.

What about something more delicate like this emerald cut with split prongs? They could definitely make it square for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emerald-6x8mm-Pave-Diamond-14k-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ390033899257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item390033899257&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
LTP - that might not be too bad. Something about LOGR settings are that they just don''t look delicate enough for me.

I agree that bezeling will bulk it up, but it will make this stone too dark IMO.

What does everyone think of the last setting that I posted?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
That last setting I posted is $395 for SI diamonds, mods to fit my stone and setting. $495 with VS.

LTP - that was initially the type of setting I was looking for. But a jeweler steered me away because he said baguettes don''t sparkle much and get dirty EASY. He said they are expensive because they have to be high clarity because of lack of facets. Has anyone bought a LOGR with baguettes? He states they are VS in the listing, but I''ve heard where that has been a mistake before.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:42:40 PM
That last setting I posted is $395 for SI diamonds, mods to fit my stone and setting. $495 with VS.

LTP - that was initially the type of setting I was looking for. But a jeweler steered me away because he said baguettes don''t sparkle much and get dirty EASY. He said they are expensive because they have to be high clarity because of lack of facets. Has anyone bought a LOGR with baguettes? He states they are VS in the listing, but I''ve heard where that has been a mistake before.
I don''t have a baguette setting from them, but honestly, I''m done buying settings for a while.
1.gif

I''m not sure if anyone has bought one, but I''ve really been considering one for my Dan Stair lavender spinel for a while. Maybe I''ll take one for the team.
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I definitely wouldn''t bezel this stone.

Here''s something kind of like what you were looking at before:

LOGR

I can''t seem to find on the page the dimensions of the stone in there though but you could try messaging him and ask - if it''s close you can just get the setting and have your jeweler replace the stone.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
BEG -

From what I''m reading that only has .04 carat diamonds? That''s pretty cheapy isn''t it? I don''t know what I "see" in those pics but that is either really tiny chips or not diamonds all the way around I would think? What do you think?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 9:32:57 AM
BEG -

From what I''m reading that only has .04 carat diamonds? That''s pretty cheapy isn''t it? I don''t know what I ''see'' in those pics but that is either really tiny chips or not diamonds all the way around I would think? What do you think?

Oh that is weird. I didn''t notice it since the picture makes it seem like the diamonds are fairly substantial and go all around.

If the setting interests you I would definitely ask - could be a typo - of course if it''s not what you''re looking for you don''t have to worry
3.gif

Do you definitely want to halo the stone? That might narrow the search down a bit.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
No I don't have to halo the stone. I really like the last setting that I posted. Diamonds on the band and the stone set without much around it. No one has said anything about that setting though, so maybe no one else likes it?
7.gif

The baquette idea is still floating around in my head. Just worried about the quality if I do LOGR.

This is a setting that I found that I like but can't find anything close to it online:

http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/22658L/view

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me, or have the LOGR prices gone up recently?

Hoofbeat, I should be getting that setting any time now [the one with the split diamond shank...it''s similar to the Adwar you just posted]. I think they charge $30 to make the head a different shape. So, you could totally get one to fit your stone.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 10:05:28 AM
Author: karee888
Is it just me, or have the LOGR prices gone up recently?

Hoofbeat, I should be getting that setting any time now [the one with the split diamond shank...it''s similar to the Adwar you just posted]. I think they charge $30 to make the head a different shape. So, you could totally get one to fit your stone.

Oh is this the one that you posted on the other thread?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, the one you said you found. :)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait to hear what you think. I had read that the seller didn''t provide the best quality. *shrug* but everyone is different! :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
case in point - LOGR. :)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 10:19:44 AM
Author: karee888
case in point - LOGR. :)
Yup! I agree. I can''t wait to hear what you think of yours. Please post lots of pics. Maybe in a new thread than your old one! :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I figured it was worth a shot. They have a return policy, so we''ll see! :)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
For this stone I have decided to go with the last setting I posted. No halo. Will post pics when I get it! Still waiting to confirm the order and ship the stone. :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOPS! Just realized you picked a setting already. I'll leave up the following on LOGR anyways in case anyone's interested.

So I had asked a jeweler what they thought about LOGR and this was their reply:

" I have actually had people bring me mountings they purchased from Lord of Gems to have stones set into them and about 50% of them I won't mount stones because the metal is so weak every time you push a prong over for setting it breaks and we end up putting more labor into the ring than the ring is worth. Unfortunately once a client brings such a ring to me they have already left positive feedback. There have been though some rings from this company that were high quality. These were the rings that typically listed with the VS2 F or higher graded diamonds and in most of these cases the diamonds were actually set well."

I'd take it with a grain of salt since it's coming from another jeweler who does sell settings as well, BUT so far I've found her extremely helpful and honest and great to work with. So personally, I'd be a bit wary. I might go with LOGR to set a pretty stone if I didn't spend too much on it, or wasn't planning to wear it regularly. But for something I planned to wear a lot and that meant a lot to me, or was particularly expensive, I might go with something that was a little heavier in gram weight.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
MTG - what setting did you get? Did you post this somewhere?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t buy a setting from LOGR, I''m working with an experienced jeweler to set a stone I have my eye on. I loved a PSers latest setting for her lovely new ring, and sent the jeweler a link. And my jeweler gave me some cautionary advice that LOGR might not be the best choice since I''ll be wearing this ring very often and it''ll have a lot of sentimental value so I don''t want to risk bad quality and get all worked up and upset, lol. She basically said they look nice but might not hold up over time with lots of wear and tear (and their gram weight does seem kind of light to be honest).

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:18:43 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I didn''t buy a setting from LOGR, I''m working with an experienced jeweler to set a stone I have my eye on. I loved a PSers latest setting for her lovely new ring, and sent the jeweler a link. And my jeweler gave me some cautionary advice that LOGR might not be the best choice since I''ll be wearing this ring very often and it''ll have a lot of sentimental value so I don''t want to risk bad quality and get all worked up and upset, lol. She basically said they look nice but might not hold up over time with lots of wear and tear (and their gram weight does seem kind of light to be honest).
Got it! I didn''t follow that initially. Thanks! :)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I should clarify - I''m not getting the last setting I linked to - but the last one I posted a picture of:

spinel_setting_hb.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results