shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
I already posted this on LIW but I''m hoping to get a bit more input...

SO and I just purchased this sapphire (I can''t wait ''til it arrives!!) and are planning on getting a custom e-ring designed with Greenlake Jewelery Works. I wanted to ask you guys first, though, if you had any thoughts or suggestions on how to set it?

I really love the idea of an antique-style filigree band, but I''m not sure that would work with the unique cut of the stone. I am also interested in side stones, but again, would it work with the cut? I''ve never been too keen on solitaires. Also, my hands are pretty small, 4.25 ring size. And on a side note, SO is very opposed to a tapered shank. That, and no diamonds, seem to be his strongest opinions on the matter. :)

The stone is an unheated Tanzanian sapphire, 1.96 ct, 6.8mm, color 3, clarity 4. Cut by Precision Gems.

star_cut_sapphire1.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That it is one neat cut! I have never seen anything like it. I love it! Is that cool star shape obvious in real life? I can't wait to see the finished project.

I know you are not fond of solitaires but I think the stone will look amazing in a solitaire. Perhaps you can get a fancy pave band with really nice milgrain work on the side. I was thinking about a bezel might work but I always find that a bezel makes a ring look more modern than antique. Not sure how a halo will work.

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
Thanks :) I haven''t received the stone yet (just ordered it yesterday) but I am really hoping the star looks as good IRL. I''ve heard nothing but good about Gene''s work, so I''m optimistic.

I think my main objections to a solitaire are 1) it''s common (but the cut of the stone is going to make my ring unique no matter what), and 2) I don''t want a setting that''s going to get snagged a lot ( I work with children and have, on occasion, had my rings get caught in hair, clothing, tender flesh, etc.)
28.gif

And as far as bezel...well I hadn''t given that much thought. Frankly the thought scares me a bit...what if it kills it??
23.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-that''s really cool-I love the star! I like CharmyPoo''s idea of a solitaire w/a fancy pave band and milgrain-I think that would be really pretty and it would stand out more than if there were side stones. Can''t wait to see what you do w/it!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Love in Bloom setting from LOGR would look amazing too.

Love_in_Bloom_Pink_Tourmaline.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s beautiful!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Looking at all these beautiful gemstones makes me think ... "Oh gosh ... now I know why I love colored gemstones"

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 6:41:05 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I think something like bling_addict''s blue spinel halo ring setting would look amazing. You will of course have to go custom route to get the halo to be shaped around your stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-spinel-halo-ring.102820/

Yes, custom''s the route we''re planning. I''m not too sure about a halo...that might make it too fancy for something I''d want to wear everyday. I love the idea of a fancy pave band.

I wonder how it would look in a half-bezel (is that the correct term?) setting? Does anyone have any examples of that?

Thanks for all the pictures everyone!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I wish I had more fingers and more money b/c I want one of everything I see!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Crescent Bezel

MARK PATTERSON PAVE CRESCENT.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Modern Half Bezel

Adascodesigns-1104.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Interesting Setting

BRUS19004L-2 (Custom).jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Shared Prong Band?

Shared Prong Colored Stone.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Knox Jeweler Half Bezel

Knox - Half Bezel.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Came across this pentagon shaped diamond set in a bezel.

Pentagon Setting Yellow Diamonds.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
More photos of the last design. It was an award winner at the AGTA Spectrum™ Platinum Honors Awards competition. IT was done by Yaroslav Shukel of Aurora Studio (http://aurorastudio.com).

aurorastudio award winner.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on some of these different types of settings (solitaire, pave bands, halos, etc...) in person? If not, that might be a good first step, as I''ve found that sometimes what sounds good in theory or looks good in a picture doesn''t necessarily suit one''s own hand at all...

Lovely stone - congrats on your upcoming engagement
1.gif

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh Charmy! Someone''s been doing their research (thanks so much!!) I came back from picking up pizza and had all kinds of eye candy to look at.
30.gif
Those are some great ideas!

AmberGretchen, no I haven''t tried on many settings, and I feel a little silly that I''ve got this far along in the thought process without considering it...thanks for the tip! And for the congrats
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
This look is pretty and meets the desires of your hubby.

bezeljpeg1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow. Cinnamon, that is to die for. Please link me to that. PLEASE. I'm in LOVE.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely not bezel that stone, it''s too dark. I would prong set it. Pretty stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Because it''ll be set in a ring and it''s got an unusual shape my first thought was to bezel it, but then TL rightly noticed that it would probably make it too dark. I think something like THIS, but a bit modified, might meet all your requirements. What I would change about it is that I''d prong set the center stone (but with wider prongs for protection) and use ceylon type sapphires (ligth blue ones) instead of small garnets and diamonds. That flush setting would protect them, but still allow for accents and they wouldn''t be diamonds. I''d of course do it in white metal to show all shades of blue in the best possible way.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 4:21:20 AM
Author: ma re
Because it'll be set in a ring and it's got an unusual shape my first thought was to bezel it, but then TL rightly noticed that it would probably make it too dark. I think something like THIS, but a bit modified, might meet all your requirements. What I would change about it is that I'd prong set the center stone (but with wider prongs for protection) and use ceylon type sapphires (ligth blue ones) instead of small garnets and diamonds. That flush setting would protect them, but still allow for accents and they wouldn't be diamonds. I'd of course do it in white metal to show all shades of blue in the best possible way.
I have to say I didn't like this ring at all, but after reading your description of changes, I wanted to see what it would look like for myself, so I photoshopped it. The only thing is, I have no idea how to do prongs, so I didn't. LOL I also don't know if its to scale or the right colors or not, but it gives an idea... And I like it :)

ETA: Here's the original:
dome2gold%20bezel.gif

dome star sapph ring.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 1:11:58 PM
Author: newsboysgrl777

I have to say I didn''t like this ring at all, but after reading your description of changes, I wanted to see what it would look like for myself, so I photoshopped it. The only thing is, I have no idea how to do prongs, so I didn''t. LOL I also don''t know if its to scale or the right colors or not, but it gives an idea... And I like it :)
Yes, it looks interesting. You did a nice job altering the photo (only not sure if you couldn''t make all accents light blue or did this on purpose - still looks nice). Of course, those flush set accents can be arranged how ever one wants and there can be as many of them as one wants as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not gypsy bezel it or do any kind of bezel on that stone. You will not be able to see the frosted star at the bottom, and the stone will probably look black. Songea sapphires are more of a grey blue, not the blue of a typical Ceylon sapphire, so I would stay away from bezels.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results