shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for a green-grey sapphire

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
So after an inability to find a largeish square chryso - I decided to buy a green sapphire from Jeff Davies. You can see the listing and video here: http://pinterest.com/pin/454441418620348648/

Here's another vendor photo (before I upload some of my own):

dsc_0001.jpg

It is close IRL to his handshot in the sunlight, where it shows more green, and under warm yellow lightings it has more of a greyish tone (as in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HXrWRpdGE8). After looking at all the lovely photos on PS about neon chrysoberyls, I thought I might want something a bit more vibrant, but this (comparatively) muted shade is really growing on me (though I know most of you like something saturated!)

The cut is really lovely, and it has this subtle sparkle - like a very quiet kind of bling, and I was hoping for suggestions for a setting!

Basically I would like a halo around the stone, and my ring size is a 5.5-6. I like this design alot (I'm sorry I can't remember whose ring this is!), but I don't know what size the melee diamonds should be, and what colour melee and gold do you think I should go for? The default is of course white gold and white diamonds.. Thanks for the help!

dce04b805bca477cc985288cf2901e1b.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with yellow gold. I think that would flatter the green. Yellow diamonds in the melee would be cool but expensive. What's your budget now for the setting?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:
I'd go with yellow gold. I think that would flatter the green. Yellow diamonds in the melee would be cool but expensive. What's your budget now for the setting?

Do you think the whole thing in yellow gold? Or just prongs + halo.. Actually has anyone got a mixed metal halo?

I still don't have an absolute budget, but 2-3k SGD is ideal. What's the ballpark figure for a setting with yellow melee diamonds?

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I love that sapphire.

I think it would look great in either yellow or white gold -- yellow gold will give the piece a warmer look, whereas white gold will give the piece a cooler look.

I personally prefer white gold. I know your stone is quite different from (and much more beautiful than) the green amethyst in this picture but I love the cool/icy feel:

Here's a green sapphire with a similar look, just so you can see the contrast between the gold and the stone:

green-amethyst.jpg

green-sapphire.jpeg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The color reminds me of my Songea sapphire. I set mine in rose gold, which has an interesting effect on greyish greens - it seems to minimize the grey and bring out the green.

Here's the sapphire I have: SonSap0.92_1_0.jpg
And here's how I set it - rose gold head and silver band: sapphring1.jpg
On my finger: img_20130901_150832.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember how much that stone was so I don't know what's exactly remaining for the setting, but a well made setting like that I think alone is 3k (I'm thinking ERD)

To cut costs would you consider a plain shank halo? Pair it with a diamond wedding band you'd get a similar look but would keep costs down.

I was thinking a really a rose gold could be an interesting pairing as well, I'm glad you posted that.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Have you asked Jeff about having a setting made for it? I know he has someone in Thailand that does custom work.

Anyhow I'm a little bored this Saturday, so I did a little photo shopping which may help you decide on the gold :)

green_settings.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
emmmme said:
Wow, I love that sapphire.

I think it would look great in either yellow or white gold -- yellow gold will give the piece a warmer look, whereas white gold will give the piece a cooler look.

I personally prefer white gold. I know your stone is quite different from (and much more beautiful than) the green amethyst in this picture but I love the cool/icy feel:

emmmme, I'm really loving the icy look of white gold too! this second setting is lovely, thank you :D

jstarfireb said:
The color reminds me of my Songea sapphire. I set mine in rose gold, which has an interesting effect on greyish greens - it seems to minimize the grey and bring out the green.

Here's the sapphire I have: SonSap0.92_1_0.jpg

jstarfireb, you have such a beautiful sapphire! and that's such a lovely cut, makes it all fluid like. Do you wear this band with other bands? I would like to wear my wedding band with this - and.. is a rose gold halo with a white gold band and a yellow gold WB too much together?

Niel said:
I love the second one with the white diamonds. I think that's uniquely lovely. I like the contrasting with yellow gold I think best. But u agree the yellow would help keep it warmer where the white would keep it cooler

Would this be in budget?

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond--v--band-engagement-ring-in-18kt-yellow-gold/5245

Niel, I meant 2-3k for the setting itself :D so I have a bit to play with. Is the second one a rose gold with white diamonds?

Also the Ritani you posted is lovely! Though I seem to be drawn to it in white gold more.. What do you think about that one compared to this (http://www.ritani.com/engagement-ri...-band-engagement-ring-in-18kt-white-gold/4616)?

carmen1 said:
Have you asked Jeff about having a setting made for it? I know he has someone in Thailand that does custom work.

Anyhow I'm a little bored this Saturday, so I did a little photo shopping which may help you decide on the gold :)

OMG Carmen :love: you are so kind to make this! I really should try and do it myself - the rose and the white gold are really calling out to me! The middle one on the top row is white gold with white diamonds right?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh if that's just foe the stone, I'd go with ERD! they make an amazing HW style Halo brought around that budget. I'd definitely go white gold if that's what you like, but I think I'd make the prongs rose gold. I love the contrast of those two.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
In general, here are my three questions:

1. What gold would you use?
2. What coloured melee diamonds?
3. Which halo shape would you go for? My stone seems to be a mix between an asscher's step cut and a cushion's rounded corner!

halo_corners.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold: a few things I'd consider, what looks best on your skintone? White metal or rose gold doesn't always look good on everybody unfortunately. Also, what kind of ring do you want? Very unique? Somewhat classic? I think white gold would be more classic than rose, and I think rose would look VERY unique and cool.

Melee: I'd probably go with white. Other colors get expensive and I'm not sure its worth it on this. I'd put it into a fabulous setting and not extra for extra color melee.

Shape I wouldn't want sharp corners. If you get it custom made they can just make it hug your stone and mimic the ship of the stone.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I have handshots! And a few shots of the stone next to some yellow and white gold rings to compare.. Though my yellow gold seems a bit paler (it's not proper yellow gold, but the best I have at the moment). Taken by the window with a gloomy sky!

Which gold do you like? Looks like white melee for me!

p1120289.jpg
p1120278.jpg
p1120272.jpg
p1120276.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
carmen1|1378582280|3516345 said:

I like the rose gold the best, but if you want it to look more steely, then use white gold. I don't think yellow gold does much for the color.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
sonyachancs|1378606386|3516539 said:
OMG Carmen :love: you are so kind to make this! I really should try and do it myself - the rose and the white gold are really calling out to me! The middle one on the top row is white gold with white diamonds right?

No problem at all, yes the white gold settings are the 2 in the middle. Maybe consider a two-toned setting - rose gold halo, white gold shank? I would stick with white diamonds in the setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your yellow gold example looks like unplated 18k white gold to me. And frankly, I really like it with that muted yellow color next to it..... no I'm not sure if IG would translate well as you won't see a lot of metal with a halo setting lime that. But the warmer tone looks beautiful.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
I really love seeing the stone next to that muted gold as well, but I don't like the look of yellow gold halos with white diamonds. Maybe you could get a j/k/l diamond melee so that they're a little creamier/warmer.

Anyway, I keep coming back to look at your sapphire... I just love the colour!

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
I just have to add a dissenting opinion and say I think yellow gold is the way to go. It is not in fashion now, but yellow is timeless and won't date your piece 30 years from now the way rose gold will. I have noticed that that tone of green gets quite grey in white gold, and I personally feel that the contrast between red and green is too much. I realize it is not the general sentiment, but I just hate seeing yellow gold constantly get rejected in favour of rose or white when it really has its niche. I think green stones are one of the things that yellow gold excels at.

It is a beautiful stone no matter how you set it, though.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carmen1 - that was fabulous to see those options displayed like that - great photoshopping skills! :appl:

Looking at that montage, my preference for metal colour is the YG as I think it really makes the white diamonds and the songea green sapphire *POP*. I would stick w F/G diamond melee for the contrast. I also agree that perhaps the YG may be a more timeless setting and it really punches up the centre stone, more so than the WG options. Thats just my opinion tho - you have to pick what you think is the best for your skin tone and what your eye tells you is the best!

Good luck - lovely dilemma to have! :bigsmile:

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone! I love the double prongs in your inspiration pic, my vote is for rose gold - even if just for the prongs. :)

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I have always wanted a rose gold setting, but the jeweler told me, for re-sizing and at times they turn blackish over time so not very convenient, kind of turn me off. So my score for rose gold is still zero :(

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
From the photoshop pictures by carmen1, I actually think yellow gold looks the best. Great job with the photoshop btw :wink2:

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
thank you all!!

I have to say - I like the muted gold with the stone alot. How do I get such a muted gold?

Niel said:
Your yellow gold example looks like unplated 18k white gold to me. And frankly, I really like it with that muted yellow color next to it..... no I'm not sure if IG would translate well as you won't see a lot of metal with a halo setting lime that. But the warmer tone looks beautiful.

If I said unplated white gold, is that sufficent? And is that a good material for a ring?

emmmme said:
I really love seeing the stone next to that muted gold as well, but I don't like the look of yellow gold halos with white diamonds. Maybe you could get a j/k/l diamond melee so that they're a little creamier/warmer.

Anyway, I keep coming back to look at your sapphire... I just love the colour!

emmmme, I keep taking it out to stare at it on my hand. it's my first gemstone purchase, and I used to not be able to relate to all you PSers taking photos of your gems, but I so get it now.

I don't really like the yellow gold with white diamonds either - it looks like a very strange and sharp contrast, but this mild gold seems less opposing - what do you think? I'll have a look at a j-l melee!

Euphony said:
I just have to add a dissenting opinion and say I think yellow gold is the way to go. It is not in fashion now, but yellow is timeless and won't date your piece 30 years from now the way rose gold will. I have noticed that that tone of green gets quite grey in white gold, and I personally feel that the contrast between red and green is too much. I realize it is not the general sentiment, but I just hate seeing yellow gold constantly get rejected in favour of rose or white when it really has its niche. I think green stones are one of the things that yellow gold excels at.

It is a beautiful stone no matter how you set it, though.

thank you Euphony. I have to say that the green does seem a bit grey in the white gold - it shows less of its warmer green character..

Enerchi said:
Carmen1 - that was fabulous to see those options displayed like that - great photoshopping skills! :appl:

Looking at that montage, my preference for metal colour is the YG as I think it really makes the white diamonds and the songea green sapphire *POP*. I would stick w F/G diamond melee for the contrast. I also agree that perhaps the YG may be a more timeless setting and it really punches up the centre stone, more so than the WG options. Thats just my opinion tho - you have to pick what you think is the best for your skin tone and what your eye tells you is the best!

Good luck - lovely dilemma to have! :bigsmile:

thank you Enerchi! I was wondering about the melee grade. I'm no expert, but I guess you are recommending a F-G diamond so the white contrasts more starkly with the stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As yellow as you can get in YG with white diamonds, and a softer rounder outline for the sapphire. I think a white metal is too cold whilst rose gold isn't for everyone. The white diamonds should give sufficient colour contrast.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I've been staring at halos and golds all over PS (including every page of that 27 page halo collection :love: my eyes) - and I think I am closer to defining what I want.

gold: paleish unplated white gold aka Yssie
head: white pave melee with an open gallery
shape of halo: rounded corners following the shape of the stone
shank: 1/2 eternity band with fishtail pave

What do you think? Also I have a few questions:

I have seen Aeolianarpa's ring with the bottom of her stone encased in gold to bring out the yellow in her stone. Do you think this is a good idea for mine? I think it'll be lovely for bringing more green than grey out, but my stone isn't as light coloured as hers - and maybe needs more light passing through it?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-by-lauren-2-38ct-fly-in-halo.159164/page-2

Without encasing it in gold (point 1), I could use a yellow donut. The problem is, I really love the shoulder of AmyandBrian's setting (also seen in a very old LM design): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-custom-pear-e-ring-design.101604/
Will it be enough to ask for them to coat (? I don't know what the term is) the inside face of the shoulder (facing the band) with yellow gold? Or is there a way to place a donut and yet have it neat and minimalistic so it's still open but my WB can sit flush?

How low should I specify for the halo to sit? My stone is 5.19mm tall, and I don't want the halo to protude too much , but I want a WB band to sit flush beneath the halo (this band hasn't been chosen yet).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoever you decide to make the ring make sure you get what alloy of. Metal they use. Also JD use 18k. 14 will k think still be too white. We want a pretty yellow white gold I think.

Prongs or bezel?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I'm really falling in love with Yssie's off-white unplated WG here - I'm a bit afraid of the contrast of a too-yellow gold with my melee, and hers seems to be the best balance. I can't seem to find the composition for it though, only that it's 18k WG unplated :( Any idea? https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-5-stone-8-prong-trellis-reset-by-dbl.170161/

In her comparison (how do you post photos from other threads?!) in the middle of this page https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-color-and-metal-options.191295/, I keep returning to the D and E shades.. D is my favourite, especially.

And I think prongs!! I want the sapphire to look like it's surrounded by diamonds and very minimal metal, like Gypsy's ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/drumroll-please-my-setting.72011/. What do you think? I don't even know what the name of this is - showing a picture should suffice though right? :confused:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I wear mine alone, as the way the bezel sits in the ring shank is not conducive to stacking. I personally wouldn't mix 3 colors of gold on the same hand, but that's a matter of personal taste. I love two-tone but don't like 3.

ETA: Gypsy's ring is gorgeous, and I would describe it to jewelers as a halo with a plain metal shank.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
another question!!! full-cut melee, or single cut?

I know there are threads on PS that say we should let the custom jeweler decide what looks best - but I decided to ask JD about it and he only deals with full-cut melee. Is it worth the trouble to go for single cut?

I think my stone has an old-vibe with it's step-ish cuts and could go with single cuts (from what I can read on PS), but is dark enough to contrast with the sparkly full cuts. Or am I talking nonsese?

Help! :!:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results