shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting appropriate for stone?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi pierrebear, thank you. You're so sweet. I'm just as undecided as everyone else. And most of mistakes were costly. :lol: All of SS settings are beautiful. The Arielle is lovely. My only issue is hat the outline of the setting extends beyond the stone. Not as comfortable to my eye. I'll keep trying...

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Here's another cushion-shape with prongs-not-really-a-bezel that you have probably seen before. Obviously not the shank situation you want, but I wonder what modifications Caysie could make?

CvBLaMaison.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bonfire, I would want it in platinum. The stone at the store reflected a lot of color. It was so strange. It was a U. For a second in my head I played around with the idea of yellow or rose gold, but I know for sure that would be a phase for me. But, in all honesty, I think it is so gorgeous in yellow.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously sagefemme, where the efff did you find this?? I thought I looked at everything on Caysie's etsy store.

Here's another cushion-shape with prongs-not-really-a-bezel that you have probably seen before. Obviously not the shank situation you want, but I wonder what modifications Caysie could make?

CvBLaMaison.jpg

The top is very similar to the one I want. But it's funny. Getting a chance to look at it this close up, I'm not sure. But I for sure will reach out to Caysie and see what she says. I do think she could come up with something that would work for me. Geez, thanks for hunting this down. I really appreciate it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gotcha, sorry. I agree though, those yellow gold rings are beautiful but...
The ring sagefemme linked has a similar look., and as she said Caysie could tweek the band and basket. I love where you're headed and I'm following your journey with interest!

Oops, I was typing at the same time you were posting :roll:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another ring Caysie made that I think I'd like with some tweaks..the Zoe. Obviously it could be made with a round or cushion shaped bezel.

These metal halos are hard to nail down. I think everyone has a slightly different preference, but even a mm more or less of metal makes a difference. I considered the Zoe too, but I think I prefer a cushion shape to an octagonal shape. Do you prefer the octagonal DS? And little details like how squared off the corners are make a huge difference. Below is one DK did, and if I didn't see this, I would have asked Victor to do something like this rounded corner cushion. But I can see that I prefer the sharper corner of Caysie's and SSN. And again I think everyone is different.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN3EZqSg6uq/

If I did it, I would have been unsatisfied, and could not really nail down why. It's so hard commit isn't it?
And then I am not sure about the gallery. The SS gallery is beautiful, but I may want more light to get in there.
And, how long will I be happy with the cushion shape? I know I've always wanted one, but it doesn't mean that its the right long term solution. This is one that will definitely be an unknown, and I go into this recognizing it will be an unknown. I have to accept it.

And, shoot me, I am still considering an 8 prong, of which I do not think I will get bored of as quickly. But seriously, you never know...

Do you ever wonder of some of the people who have your most loved rings on PS get bored of theirs, even though you might love it so much? I think of Rika's also a SS setting. I wonder if she's still happy with her setting. Random huh?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think when a setting is the perfect one, you don't get tired of it. Look at Yenny's oval in the SS setting. It's so gorgeous that I can't see why anyone would ever consider changing it. But it is not her daily wear ring, either. This all goes back to the idea that some of us just need more than one e-ring, because we can't narrow down the settings to just one!

I will answer that I do not think I'd go octagonal because of having the asscher ring. I don't want everything to be angular even though I like it. However, I am not in love with round halos, either, other than maybe Emilya. I can't remember if I have posted this SS ring, but it was twosanguinehearts' second setting!
singlestonesetting2a.jpg singlestonesetting2b.jpg SSring2.45ctr2.jpg
singlestonesetting2a.jpg
Sorry this last pic posted twice. I can't delete without deleting the first one, so I am leaving it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the CVB Elsa about as much as anything. I don't really feel like in reality it would appear hexagonal. My main qualm is that I'd like to choose a setting that my daughter could wear as a right hand ring down the road, and for me that means halo or side stones or split shank, or something other than a simple solitaire. Not sure the Elsa would work as a rhr.

CVB.Elsa.jpg

CVB.ElsaCADs.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think when a setting is the perfect one, you don't get tired of it. Look at Yenny's oval in the SS setting. It's so gorgeous that I can't see why anyone would ever consider changing it. But it is not her daily wear ring, either. This all goes back to the idea that some of us just need more than one e-ring, because we can't narrow down the settings to just one!
DS, this SS halo is one of my favorite settings ever. And you know what is crazy, I don't love it IRL. I saw it at Eric Trabert and I felt like I could see too much metal, and I didn't like how the melee and the center blended IRL. Is that crazy? This was 3 years ago. Maybe I would feel differently now if I saw it again.
Yes, you make a good point. Yenny's SS setting for her oval is pretty much perfect. Hand in perfect glove. Your asscher is home. Done.

Maybe you can plan on your grandchildren using your ring. In which case, they would possibly reset it anyway. So you should get what you would like best to wear. If you like the Elsa and could see yourself wearing it for a long time, you should get it. I know my son would be fine giving my ring to a fiance. I'm not sure I would be. My daughter would likely keep it. I would feel like the ring would have a higher chance of staying in the family with girls or granddaughters.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom,
I feel your pain as I've been debating on what setting to get for a while now too. I decided to upgrade this year as an early 25th wedding anniversary. I have the CVB Dahlia and I absolutely loved that design, but the stone I am getting is bigger and I did reach out to CVB to have her remake the Dahlia for me, but I'm just not sure if that's what I want again. I also reached out to VC and even got quotes for the Emilya in rose gold, but I just don't want to spend the money and then decide that I want something completely different at a later point.
I would try to reach out to CVB and ask her about different setting designs. I'm sure together you can come up with something. Tell her what you like and don't like about certain settings and see if she can come up with something.
I would also try to reach out to David Klass. His prices are extremely reasonable and I actually have him making me a ring from an old wedding set that I've had for years and he is charging very little to do it. He's even buying the gold from me.
If I had your diamond, I would probably set it into an 8 prong setting for maximum security. Have you seen the Danhov 8 prong lotus ring? It's really beautiful, has cathedral shanks and the setting is fairly inexpensive in platinum.
As for me, I decided to just get the WF Tiffany half round in rose gold with platinum prongs for now until I'm certain I am keeping the diamond. I'm getting a J and I want to be certain that I'm completely certain before I commit to an expensive setting.
Good luck and I am looking forward to see what you come up with.
And remember, if all else fails, at least you have a really beautiful temporary setting right now! So you can take your time and be certain of your decision.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the Danhov, I know someone here modified it to a six prong and I've also seen it with diamonds on the shank.

Danhov-Classico-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_47615_29536_g-63440.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously sagefemme, where the efff did you find this?? I thought I looked at everything on Caysie's etsy store.

The top is very similar to the one I want. But it's funny. Getting a chance to look at it this close up, I'm not sure. But I for sure will reach out to Caysie and see what she says. I do think she could come up with something that would work for me. Geez, thanks for hunting this down. I really appreciate it.

I wonder if you don't like that particular one because the center stone is set so far down into the surrounding area that you can't really see the girdle. I think you probably want something with the girdle raised just a bit, which I think would let more light in.

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea where exactly I got the pics of Caysie's "LaMaison" but it was either her Etsy shop, or her Instagram, or Facebook. I downloaded the pictures and they are sitting on my desktop, but I don't see them online anywhere now, either. I feel sure I saw a through-finger view, too, but now I can't find it. If I do I'll post it.

Back to the beginning of this thread, someone mentioned EW "Minna." I have to say I find that ring heartstopping. It's very spendy because of all those French cuts. The shank of course could be simplified. I also can picture a few of Caysie's and EW's designs that currently have 4 prongs, with the 8 prongs you are thinking about. I think an 8 prong design could be almost as protective for the girdle as a bezel.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom,
I feel your pain as I've been debating on what setting to get for a while now too. I decided to upgrade this year as an early 25th wedding anniversary. I have the CVB Dahlia and I absolutely loved that design, but the stone I am getting is bigger and I did reach out to CVB to have her remake the Dahlia for me, but I'm just not sure if that's what I want again. I also reached out to VC and even got quotes for the Emilya in rose gold, but I just don't want to spend the money and then decide that I want something completely different at a later point.
I would try to reach out to CVB and ask her about different setting designs. I'm sure together you can come up with something. Tell her what you like and don't like about certain settings and see if she can come up with something.
I would also try to reach out to David Klass. His prices are extremely reasonable and I actually have him making me a ring from an old wedding set that I've had for years and he is charging very little to do it. He's even buying the gold from me.
If I had your diamond, I would probably set it into an 8 prong setting for maximum security. Have you seen the Danhov 8 prong lotus ring? It's really beautiful, has cathedral shanks and the setting is fairly inexpensive in platinum.
As for me, I decided to just get the WF Tiffany half round in rose gold with platinum prongs for now until I'm certain I am keeping the diamond. I'm getting a J and I want to be certain that I'm completely certain before I commit to an expensive setting.
Good luck and I am looking forward to see what you come up with.
And remember, if all else fails, at least you have a really beautiful temporary setting right now! So you can take your time and be certain of your decision.

Hi Kayla17, I have seen this Danhov setting before and I also thought it was very very pretty. I do actually prefer the 8 prong to the 6. The concept is beautiful. I think what causes the hesitation is that it is a little bit too modern for this particular stone. I think I want to go a little bit more antique-y, just a bit. The Dahlia is lovely. I think it is a little too heavy on the details for me, and what I get hung up on is that the basket outline is somewhat visible from a top down view, which makes it look more hexagonal to my eyes. I realized that my skewed brain has a tendency to play connect the dots with points that I see. So when I see six prongs, my mind draws in the lines in between and voila, I see a hexagon. Crazy huh? And the basket that protrudes a teeny tiny amount reinforces the hexagon in my mind. Then I see neither round or square, just hexagon. So it's either gotta be very obviously a a squarish cushion or a round, or maybe an 8 prong, where if I connect the dots, I get closer to a round shape than I do a hexagon. That is more mentally acceptable than a hexagon. And the prongs would have to be very tiny and there cannot be any hint of seeing the basket from the top down. I know. I'm nuts.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you don't like that particular one because the center stone is set so far down into the surrounding area that you can't really see the girdle. I think you probably want something with the girdle raised just a bit, which I think would let more light in.

Yes distracts, I think that does have a lot to do with it. I think the outer edge of the metal halo is too thin. And, I am not sure if I want it to sit right within the frame of the setting. But I don't know how it would look sitting on top. And I'm not sure if it sat on top, how it would look, and how wide the lip of the metal halo should be. Thank you. This is helping me narrow down what I don't like.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say thank you to everyone who has thought about this dilemma for me, and made suggestions, posted pics, and videos. Every post is very helpful, to push me one way or the other. Those awesome huge pics (thanks sagefemme) are great at putting the setting in my face and making me ask myself, can I see myself wearing this all day everyday, and really feel like it is "me". I'm not sure. I want MissyK to be in a setting that feels antique-ish to me. But I also have a natural affinity toward clean lines. The ideas kinda contradict. I am worried that over time, I will get tired of the details and just want to focus on the stone again. I do have another setting that I just adore, but had written off because there is no more girdle protection than I've got now. Can I compromise on this point? If I love it enough, maybe I won't care. My girdle ranges from thin to slightly thick. How worried should I be about the girdle? Oh, what the heck. Here is the setting. I guess you will all just have to roll your eyes and laugh at me for being so indecisive and all over the place.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/precision-gem-meets-victor-canera.209907/

Acinom tri wire.jpg

I know I wanted a fancy basket. But on the other hand, I love how the smooth wires criss-cross and connect, and there is such a stark industrial feel to the tri-wire work. I have seen a few original antique rings at Langs that had these tri-wire designs and I kept picking them up to try on. That says something right?
acinom basket.jpg
I love the diamond cuffs as being the only accent. But I worry if the tri-wire will feel uncomfortable to the neighboring fingers. I've read from others that they feel fine. And resizing might be an issue. And with the diamond cuffs, won't there be issues with wearing a band next to it? :roll: I'm ready. Scold me now...

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this setting! - pared down, elegant simplicity, but there's just enough going on for it to be visually interesting at the same time.

I don't know enough to comment on the girdle protection issues, but to me this strikes a great balance between giving an antique vibe but with clean lines. So elegant!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love this one! But then again, I love all of Victor's creations!! :love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty gorgeous! And antique doesn't have to mean fiddly fussy details - think Art Deco solitaires for example - clean structural lines. So I think that has a lovely antique vibe to it.
Since you're wearing your lovely MissyK currently, you'll have a good sense of how often/if you knock against things and therefore how much girdle protection you need.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you know me - shiny metal and a beautiful diamond! I love that VC ring!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly LLJsmom, a girdle in the thin-thick range on an OEC is not going to be indangered in that setting if you are reasonably careful with your wearing habits. I mean if you are driving a tractor and doing rough work with your jewels on then sure, there maybe a problem. Lesson #1 for me is, go with what you love. Anything less won't stand the test of time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your girdle is very thin, then it needs more protection. Victor can make the three wire shank with an 8 prong basket head. But I have reservations about a true 3 wire shank due to sizing difficulty, too. In fact, I was working on a design kind of like that with Caysie awhile back and then just quit because I wasn't sure.

This was one of my antique inspiration rings which could be done with 8 prongs. There are others, though.

E540.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly LLJsmom, a girdle in the thin-thick range on an OEC is not going to be indangered in that setting if you are reasonably careful with your wearing habits. I mean if you are driving a tractor and doing rough work with your jewels on then sure, there maybe a problem. Lesson #1 for me is, go with what you love. Anything less won't stand the test of time.
Hi Bonfire, yes that is a reality check check comment if there was one. So obvious but I can forget about it in the quest to check the boxes. Thank you. Go with what you love. I will remember that. And you don't think thin is an issue? Hmmmm...good to know.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your girdle is very thin, then it needs more protection. Victor can make the three wire shank with an 8 prong basket head. But I have reservations about a true 3 wire shank due to sizing difficulty, too. In fact, I was working on a design kind of like that with Caysie awhile back and then just quit because I wasn't sure.

This was one of my antique inspiration rings which could be done with 8 prongs. There are others, though.

HI DS, AZ was also telling me the complications about sizing a tri-wire. Maybe I should make a section not tri? Maybe a small piece at the bottom? Funny that you were considering it too. Have you decided? I want to have the piece finished before the year is over. that would be nice.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And of course when you're looking for it, you actually see one. Check out Leighton Meester's set. I think her ering is a tri-wire. I've always loved her set but never examined it closely. I'm so in love with it...

leighton meester tri-wire.jpg leighton tri-wire.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results