shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting appropriate for stone?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My oval is bezel set and I think it's gorgeous and there was no issue with lack of light return. It was the same with my three stone, set in octagonal bezels. Caysie has told me the same thing about my new stone. I do think CERTAIN stones are impacted, but if Victor says it's going to be fine, I'd trust him. He doesn't want unhappy clients at the end of the day...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_7414.JPG What the hell. Here it is. What are the spots where it is kinda grayish? Bad?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@yennyfire : OMG this is exactly what I am concerned about too "these are hard decisions and I hate to ask them to make changes when I don't like the very thing I asked for."
Ok, so now I'll play devil's advocate (and maybe I can learn to take my own advice). I think that's what CADs are for. None of these artists wants to make a ring the client doesn't love. I'd say if you make 15 sets of changes, that's out of hand, but a couple is probably par for the course.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsMom: if you are as concientious about things, as I am...and type A about jewelry...esp EXPENSIVE jewelry...that will MEAN something to you...that will likely be passed down to your family members...you have to go with your gut. It has nothing to do with doubting the professional. I'd believe him...without hesitation. Here's my concern: you still will question the performance of your diamond in a DIFFERENT setting, after you have your finished product. If you want light exchange & optimal performance, and you have ANY doubt the bezel will compromise it...steer clear & move on to a setting that will give your Diamond the light performance you want, without question. Who wants to recreate a customized piece?!?
Trust your jeweler...but go with your gut. Too much is at stake to do anything else.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so now I'll play devil's advocate (and maybe I can learn to take my own advice). I think that's what CADs are for. None of these artists wants to make a ring the client doesn't love. I'd say if you make 15 sets of changes, that's out of hand, but a couple is probably par for the course.
So you just approved your CAD? If you make changes when would you need to tell Caysie?

And yes, so true. I forget the obvious. He wants a happy client in the end too. Less headache for everyone. :D

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So you just approved your CAD? If you make changes when would you need to tell Caysie?

And yes, so true. I forget the obvious. He wants a happy client in the end too. Less headache for everyone. :D
Yes, she showed me the CAD this week. There was one part I was concerned about and she tweaked it and I said that we were good to go. Soooo, I'm guessing that if I want any additional changes, I'd better tell her ASAP before any work begins. The CAD in and of itself is fine and is exactly what I asked for (obviously, this includes Caysie's interpretation of my vision), I'm just questioning a couple of elements. I'd create a post on RT, but I think I'd get a million opinions and end up more confused than I am now...oy vey!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, she showed me the CAD this week. There was one part I was concerned about and she tweaked it and I said that we were good to go. Soooo, I'm guessing that if I want any additional changes, I'd better tell her ASAP before any work begins. The CAD in and of itself is fine and is exactly what I asked for (obviously, this includes Caysie's interpretation of my vision), I'm just questioning a couple of elements. I'd create a post on RT, but I think I'd get a million opinions and end up more confused than I am now...oy vey!
Yes yenny, isn't THAT the truth!! Yenny I would like to try to contact you by forwarding an email to a person who may have your contact info. Would you be ok with that? I won't necessarily get your email but maybe my email can reach you.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsMom: if you are as concientious about things, as I am...and type A about jewelry...esp EXPENSIVE jewelry...that will MEAN something to you...that will likely be passed down to your family members...you have to go with your gut. It has nothing to do with doubting the professional. I'd believe him...without hesitation. Here's my concern: you still will question the performance of your diamond in a DIFFERENT setting, after you have your finished product. If you want light exchange & optimal performance, and you have ANY doubt the bezel will compromise it...steer clear & move on to a setting that will give your Diamond the light performance you want, without question. Who wants to recreate a customized piece?!?
Trust your jeweler...but go with your gut. Too much is at stake to do anything else.

I think there is a lot of truth in this post. People can tell you things - and it is all probably true - but if there is going to be the slightest niggle of hesitation in choosing a bezel, don't. There have to be many other options for you and if every time you look at your ring and 'think' it could be better if the light wasn't obstructed, you won't have accomplished anything. As I've said before, I envy folks that can put on a ring and love it and wear it without question. However, I don't fall into that camp and I don't think you do either. This may or may not resonate with you but just tread carefully so as not to be disappointed in a new setting. Hugs to you - I know our minds are tough to navigate around - lol!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can hook you up with Yenny directly, LLJ!:wavey:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can hook you up with Yenny directly, LLJ!:wavey:
Thanks M2b! We were able to connect a little while ago! Who needs six degrees of separation when you have PS??!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good advice MissGotRocks. And unless I'm the only one that has this problem, is what you like today going to be what you like next month or next year? Regarding making changes after settling on a design or CAD, you have to. Trust me Caysie or whomever is used to it. You can't go through with a design if you know you won't be happy with it. Even though you feel like a pita, they understand and wouldn't have it any other way. They wouldn't be doing this if they got frustrated that easily.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom, I would absolutely trust Victor. Your stone doesn't appear to have a lot of leakage. But it's not just light return, it's stone color, too. Will a bezel or halo make the stone appear more tinted? I think it depends on a lot of factors. One difficulty about total handforged is that there are no CADs showing the exact dimensions and views of all angles. That to me is the very hardest part because there are more unknowns.

Yenny, I'd definitely contact Caysie and just tell her you are questioning a couple of your choices so she can hold off doing the next step. I know exactly how you feel, but you can get it resolved, I am sure. You are close!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom, I would absolutely trust Victor. Your stone doesn't appear to have a lot of leakage. But it's not just light return, it's stone color, too. Will a bezel or halo make the stone appear more tinted? I think it depends on a lot of factors. One difficulty about total handforged is that there are no CADs showing the exact dimensions and views of all angles. That to me is the very hardest part because there are more unknowns.

Yenny, I'd definitely contact Caysie and just tell her you are questioning a couple of your choices so she can hold off doing the next step. I know exactly how you feel, but you can get it resolved, I am sure. You are close!!!
DS, can you discuss how a bezel can cause he stone to look more tinted?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant that by reducing the light entering the stone, tint can show more just as light return can potentially be diminished. Also, if the bezel is white metal or there is a halo, the contrast in color will be more apparent. My K asscher almost shows no tint set with prongs, but I have seen 2 K color asschers set in halos that do show a little tint. Even that does not bother me, but it is just a personal preference thing. I know Caysie has set a lot of Ks in halos with bezels, though, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'd just ask the question since you don't want any surprises.

Here's hathalove's incredible asscher ring with a K stone in platinum. I like the contrast and think it is beautiful, but you have to decide if you do! There are probably OECs around in halos, but I can think of a K in white metal at the moment.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-be-dreaming-asscher-sk-halo-and-avcs.224859/

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant that by reducing the light entering the stone, tint can show more just as light return can potentially be diminished. Also, if the bezel is white metal or there is a halo, the contrast in color will be more apparent. My K asscher almost shows no tint set with prongs, but I have seen 2 K color asschers set in halos that do show a little tint. Even that does not bother me, but it is just a personal preference thing. I know Caysie has set a lot of Ks in halos with bezels, though, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'd just ask the question since you don't want any surprises.

Here's hathalove's incredible asscher ring with a K stone in platinum. I like the contrast and think it is beautiful, but you have to decide if you do! There are probably OECs around in halos, but I can think of a K in white metal at the moment.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-be-dreaming-asscher-sk-halo-and-avcs.224859/
DS do you think that Rika's K looks more tinted in a metal bezel?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I'm stressed out at the thought of custom resetting my asscher! (End of page 3!!!)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I'm stressed out at the thought of custom resetting my asscher! (End of page 3!!!)
Whitewave, it's a scary process. I've changed my mind several times. When I get started on a project, I think I want all the gorgeous beautiful settings I see on other people, and those unbelievable IG photos. Then as I get closer to committing to a design, I asked myself why am i feeling more fear than excitement. And then when i ask myself how much do I like it on my own finger, that answer is not nearly as much. I had to ask myself, do I LOVE it. I could not honestly answer yes. I looked back at various settings I have loved in the past. Did I still love them? Yes. There are things I would change now, but I still preferred it to the setting I almost committed to. I hope this is the last big U turn I am going to make. Good luck on your journey.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

LLJsmom I just would like to echo this sentiment. My 4 carat antique cushion (Margeaux) is a GIA K with a light brown body tint that became very apparently in a bezel setting. In a 4 prong setting it was less apparent, but once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. Just something to consider too. One way would be to wrap foil (gum wrapper) around the diamond acting like a bezel and see if you like the result.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom I just would like to echo this sentiment. My 4 carat antique cushion (Margeaux) is a GIA K with a light brown body tint that became very apparently in a bezel setting. In a 4 prong setting it was less apparent, but once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. Just something to consider too. One way would be to wrap foil (gum wrapper) around the diamond acting like a bezel and see if you like the result.
ROL, thanks so much for the great tip. I don't know why I didn't think of it. I did it and I am very surprised to say that I think I like it. I don't think I see any more tint than before. I don't know if it is just in my head but I feel like I see the facets more clearly? Am I nuts? Did I use too much foil? In some sides I covered the whole basket. I think I see less flashes at the edges but tray may be because there is way more foil than there would be metal from a bezel. Would you mind giving me your opinion? TIA.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you see my avatar pic? I've had my stone in a temp setting for FOUR years this month!!!! :lol:

I will tell you, though, that my preference for antique (or antique style) stones are antique settings. I think we have to balance what we see as beautiful and what is practical for daily wear. Will a halo just make it too big? Maybe there is not a too big for some people, but I have seen brand new rings sold here because they turned out too big for the person's lifestyle. If settings weren't so expensive, it wouldn't be such a disaster if we wanted to change them occasionally. But I am not much in favor in spending $4k+ on a setting and then switching it out a few months later!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you see my avatar pic? I've had my stone in a temp setting for FOUR years this month!!!! :lol:

I will tell you, though, that my preference for antique (or antique style) stones are antique settings. I think we have to balance what we see as beautiful and what is practical for daily wear. Will a halo just make it too big? Maybe there is not a too big for some people, but I have seen brand new rings sold here because they turned out too big for the person's lifestyle. If settings weren't so expensive, it wouldn't be such a disaster if we wanted to change them occasionally. But I am not much in favor in spending $4k+ on a setting and then switching it out a few months later!
. So DS, yes like? No like?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
apparent* darn iphone autocorrect. -_-

Anywho--- sometimes bezeling stones can sharpen contrast zones and thus, sharpen faceting. If I read the IS of your stone correctly, it might have less light return at the edges-- so what you see in the bezel at the facets at the edges reflects that.

You used less foil than I did :) I did the fake foil bezel for my 2.56 OEC when I considered bezeling her. It did sharpen contrast zones but it also told me that she would reflect rose gold too if I decided to go that route.

IMG_8922.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apparent* darn iphone autocorrect. -_-

Anywho--- sometimes bezeling stones can sharpen contrast zones and thus, sharpen faceting. If I read the IS of your stone correctly, it might have less light return at the edges-- so what you see in the bezel at the facets at the edges reflects that.

You used less foil than I did :) I did the fake foil bezel for my 2.56 OEC when I considered bezeling her. It did sharpen contrast zones but it also told me that she would reflect rose gold too if I decided to go that route.

IMG_8922.jpg
ROL, thanks for sharing your pic! So helpful. Yes, you hit the nail on the head. It totally sharpens the contrast zones, basically the facets as I see them. Question is, do my eyes like it? My initial gut response was yes. Because I look st the stone up close all the time, I really like seeing the separate petals clearly. By nature of the bezel, I do think I lose a little fire at the edges just because the bezel cuts it off. I don't see any more tint, yellow or brown than I did before. I like the squared off shape of the stone, but that I may get bored of over time.

ROL I don't see any brown tint in your picture. It's not this stone right? Did the stone in your picture show any tint more intensely when in a bezel? I think the stone looks AMAZING in the bezel. I would love it if my stone looked like that.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
LLJsmom the brown tint was for my 4 carat cushion (GIA K) this pic was the 2.56 GIA J OEC.

CAM00614.jpg

CAM01081.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I see the brown tint in the first picture. Thank you ROL. That is a great example of what tint looks like. Hmmm, I don't see that with my stone. Maybe I need to stare at it longer. What stands out to me is the new outline of the stone. Of course, my terrible DIY bezel covers up a ton of the edges too. On your new cushion, are you going to bezel or not bezel?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results