shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting an heirloom diamond

mmi

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,

I was thinking that since diamond prices are so high right now, it would be a good idea to set my .6 RB heirloom stone and use it for an engagement ring. Kinda untraditional, I know, for a girl to basically provide her own diamond. I've already found out that BlueNile will not set diamonds that aren't theirs. Are most other companies willing to do this? (White Flash, Brian Gavin, etc). Also, I have no idea about the process involved with getting a stone set. :errrr: Can anyone recommend some good people to look into, share experiences etc?

These diamond prices are really a downer for those of us wanting to get engaged soon. I don't want to throw too much money away on a setting because later on, when we can afford a 1+ carat stone, it wouldn't fit in the setting holding my 0.6 would it? :sick: At the same time I want to get a setting that I love because who knows how long it will be until that "upgrade". I'm just trying to figure out a way to do this without spending too much money! I'm not into diamond upgrade policies because I have sentimental attachments to stones. Even a .5-.75 these days would break the bank anyway!

/rant over. Thanks in advance! :wavey:

Mmi

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Policy's differ vendor by vendor. I suggest narrowing it down to settings you like and going from there. WF won't set it, per their stated policy. BGD set my OEC in a pendant, so I think they will. Pearlmans will get an outside stone.

You need to get the stone appraised and insured before setting it.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I suggest you call around and ask a few vendors, perhaps the one that you want to purchase the setting from. Some vendors won't set other stone but some will just charge a fee.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Especially for a vintage stone, I'd look into a vintage reproduction (assuming you like the look, of course): I find they're more reasonably priced, and work with the stones. I like http://antiqueengagementrings.com/ and http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com.

Alternately, you could find a setting you really like with a peg head: that way, if you upgrade later on, you can keep the ring you got engaged with ... and also choose a fancy setting so you can feel like he contributed, too.

BTW, I think you're being eminently sensible to use your stone for the engagement! I have a huge collection of stones dating back way before I met my husband, and his covering the setting for a "gift" allows us to build a lovely stable of family heirlooms at a fraction of the cost. At the end of the day, it's all "our" money, right?

mmi

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help so far!

Are you sure Whiteflash won't set a diamond? I was looking through some settings last night and one of them said (and I paraphrase), "Choose one of our diamonds or set your own." Perhaps I should shoot them an email...

And Circe, do you have a picture of a setting with a peg head? I'm not sure what it is and my searches have not come up with much! 8)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mmi|1314582515|3004087 said:
Thank you everyone for your help so far!

Are you sure Whiteflash won't set a diamond? I was looking through some settings last night and one of them said (and I paraphrase), "Choose one of our diamonds or set your own." Perhaps I should shoot them an email...

And Circe, do you have a picture of a setting with a peg head? I'm not sure what it is and my searches have not come up with much! 8)

I think Whiteflash will only set diamond with grading reports from GIA or AGS...I remember reading about that recently. You could definitely ask them though.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/engagement-rings/engagement-rings-tutorial explains peg head vs. integrated head

If you do think you will upgrade maybe don't spend too much on the setting now? Or you could get a nice setting and then use it for a colored stone ring once you upgrade? Or if you don't think you will want to upgrade, get a really fabulous setting now?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314583724|3004106 said:
I think Whiteflash will only set diamond with grading reports from GIA or AGS...I remember reading about that recently. You could definitely ask them though.

Yup. Says so right on their site.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results