shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a brown diamond heart into a pendant - design help!

By the way I read this and smiled but I wanted to come back around and thank you. This is such a kind thing to say!

Well it's true!
martini.gif

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is good advice! And the smaller the stone, the easier it is to obscure. When I had my heart ring made, I made sure to emphasize it.

Your heart ring....a confection of perfection. You are soooo good at making design choices (as are so many here in CS)

Your heart ring....a confection of perfection. You are soooo good at making design choices (as are so many here in CS)

I equate everything with food, so I too refer to that one as a confection! She be candy-colored. lol Also, I bought a brown diamond last year from James Allen, and they referred to it as coffee-colored. That was it for me... sold!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Did you set your coffee diamond yet? :)

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
@luckygreen317 how is the maintenance on the black rhodium? Does it scratch easily?

It’s probably a similar maintenance to rhodium plating white gold and more frequent requirement on rings. I have worn the black rhodium stackers a lot over the last 2 years. There is a slight lightening where the side of the bands rub against other rings.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It’s probably a similar maintenance to rhodium plating white gold and more frequent requirement on rings. I have worn the black rhodium stackers a lot over the last 2 years. There is a slight lightening where the side of the bands rub against other rings.

Thanks for answering. Assuming a pendant would be even more minimal wear sounds like it would hold up fine. I love your stackers, by the way.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I always thought that rose gold would go nicely with a grown diamond. With a diamond halo. That would be awesome!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I always thought that rose gold would go nicely with a grown diamond. With a diamond halo. That would be awesome!

It would look good. When it gets here I will drape it in different colors of gold chain and see which one is the best color. I think she has options!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I reached out to David and I believe we're going to wander into another direction :D.
More to come....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am pretty obsessed with that simple gold bezel you drew near the start of your doodling! The gold just make the brown sing!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I agree, there was something about that. He is creating a filigree setting in 18k.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't know if someone has mentioned this already. How would you feel about a rose gold setting with some frosty crisp D-F diamonds in round or perhaps even .... baguette cut?!
This is a pintrest pic for inspiration
1000008945.jpg

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if someone has mentioned this already. How would you feel about a rose gold setting with some frosty crisp D-F diamonds in round or perhaps even .... baguette cut?!
This is a pintrest pic for inspiration
1000008945.jpg

Hi @DiamondDust13 I would agree a white sparkling halo would look great, and probably the best partner for this diamond. I am probably overthinking this, though. The halo doesnt mesh as well with my style. I am older and 60ish, and worried about the pendant reading "cute". So for that reason, I think I am going to go into a gold setting that will be a little more subdued, overall. I really want to wear this often with a t-shirt.

I appreciate all of the feedback on the thread! great pointers and design thoughts.

Last edited:

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm sure this will turn out very beautifully. I love the choice of yellow gold! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hi @DiamondDust13 I would agree a white sparkling halo would look great, and probably the best partner for this diamond. I am probably overthinking this, though. The halo doesnt mesh as well with my style. I am older and 60ish, and worried about the pendant reading "cute". So for that reason, I think I am going to go into a gold setting that will be a little more subdued, overall. I really want to wear this often with a t-shirt.

I appreciate all of the feedback on the thread! great pointers and design thoughts.

A 5.5mm stone in a filigree setting will look great for casual outfits and dressy ones.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread, thank you! I love brown diamonds
My only comment, bezel or halo it. I'e never seen prong-set hearts that didn't look weird. In my limited experience.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It arrived, and I am so underwhelmed. In person, the center was pretty much dead and the parameters were lively. Not terrible, but just not loving the stone.

Lesson: check stone first :D.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It arrived, and I am so underwhelmed. In person, the center was pretty much dead and the parameters were lively. Not terrible, but just not loving the stone.

Lesson: check stone first :D.

Perhaps it will be different within the setting?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Grrr. can you return it?
I had a brown diamond from ebay that drove me nuts, it was so lifeless.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@Ibrakeforpossums it is already on the way. I have to say, Blue Nile customer service was awesome to deal with. I had instructions and a label in 5 minutes, and no hold times. Hubby just dropped it off for return.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How disappointing!

I have a little yellow heart chrysoberyl that size and have not been able to settle on a setting for it yet! Your thread has me wondering.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love his design so much, I am going to find another heart. :)
Plan B - a spinel heart. If anyone knows of a smallish 1ct or so, let me know.

DK 102055-QUAD-2.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Ritani has some pretty pinky-brown lab hearts. I was lemming them two weeks ago.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Ritani has some pretty pinky-brown lab hearts. I was lemming them two weeks ago.

Ritani has taken so much of my money :D. They should send me a Christmas card.
I will check them out.

For the record, I assume I have mild OCD, so now I am stuck on heart shopping. As in, have a mission so must complete the task. Ugh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results