shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a brown diamond heart into a pendant - design help!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hello, I picked this little heart up from Blue Nile. The size is 5.13 x 5.59. I thought the color would be suited for a yellow gold pendant, but the setting is where I could use some help. If I went with a very minimal bezel with a halo, what color melee could you see? Design wise, I could even see a nice black rhodium effect could be fun with dark diamonds. However, would it just look like a brown smudge without contrast? :D. I am open to something that will set the little diamond off, but also work with t-shirts (I am not at all fancy on the day to day). I am also open to a plain bezel or an open prong setting if that would be better. What do you more seasoned CS see as a better way to mount a dark stone? or is there something I should be aware of as a potential issues?

Thanks in advance for the brain storming.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 083835.png

Not sure if this is needed, but this is what I have:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 183924.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I don't have anything with black rhodium, but I'm a big fan. I think it would look very cool. I also just wanted to say I really like the cut on this heart, I don't know what to call it- a quadrant cut? It suits the shape so well! I've always wanted a folate, or sun type pendant with a brown diamond and black rhodium.
il_1080xN.2466318558_7tz7.jpg MAR-N-5212_20216_20RO.jpeg 61593a1478ec4c79931506a5e6aa0943.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou I love the inspiration pictures! The pendant with white gold and clustered multi colored brown diamonds seems like it would offset this stone's color perfectly. The setting looks antiqued but not overly dark and I like that contrast very much. I also love the gem details on the chain with the leaf pendant. I also like the white as a contrast to the dark...hmmm, maybe I should rethink the gold.

On the cut, I was not looking for this at all, but I think the cut and proportions pulled me in. I like how it is an even tone too. Before I knew it, it was in my cart :).

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
What about something blue for the melee?

Or going with Leen Heyne in mind, a contrasting metal in white? I might not bezel it for fear of it getting darker, I did that with a couple colored stones and their performance just died, but YMMV.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@Mooshi thanks so much, good to know about the darkening. I have not seen the stone yet, but it seems like it will be lively, and I would hate to dull any sparkle. I also think you're right on the white. I had never seen the work of Leen Heyne before...I am in love. What wonderful art forms meet jewelry!

Blue is the right color from the color wheel. I may use photoshop this weekend and see what looks good. I do like blue.

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have no advice--just wanted to say I love your style!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your heart diamond! I had my FLY heart done with a white diamond halo to showcase the color and then outlined with a FY halo. Yours would be gorgeous with just a white diamond halo. DSC_3010.JPG

Thank you! I was never really a heart shaped fan before this pendant but now I love them.

I'm a recent convert as well! I especially love how you used a white and yellow multi-chain to bring out both colors in the diamonds. Clever!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Throwing a couple of sketches from my note ( love the pen). You'd need to squint hard. Yikes, my gold is rather brown. LOL
1000003678.jpg 1000003679.jpg

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Love your heart diamond! I had my FLY heart done with a white diamond halo to showcase the color and then outlined with a FY halo. Yours would be gorgeous with just a white diamond halo. DSC_3010.JPG

What a beautiful necklace! Very well done. Was this with DK?

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I picked this little heart up from Blue Nile. The size is 5.13 x 5.59. I thought the color would be suited for a yellow gold pendant, but the setting is where I could use some help. If I went with a very minimal bezel with a halo, what color melee could you see? Design wise, I could even see a nice black rhodium effect could be fun with dark diamonds. However, would it just look like a brown smudge without contrast? :D. I am open to something that will set the little diamond off, but also work with t-shirts (I am not at all fancy on the day to day). I am also open to a plain bezel or an open prong setting if that would be better. What do you more seasoned CS see as a better way to mount a dark stone? or is there something I should be aware of as a potential issues?

Thanks in advance for the brain storming.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 083835.png

Not sure if this is needed, but this is what I have:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 183924.png

Congratulations, I love the shade of the stone! From the photo, it seems to have yellow undertones so in my opinion, yellow gold would be beautiful.

I am a HUGE fan of black rhodium and wanted to share 3 projects where I used it.
My fancy brown rosecut diamond set in 14kt rose gold with blackened milgraining surrounding the stone. I have a ring enhancer being designed now that will frame this ring with black diamonds.
IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg

Here is my tourmaline pendant with 14K rose gold bezel with white diamond halo in 14K white gold. I added black rhodium and it completely changed the look and made the color of the stone pop.
IMG_1485.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg

Last, here are 4 stacker rings I have to frame several rings. I wear the black rhodium pair all the time.

IMG_1486.jpeg IMG_1487.jpeg

All pieces are through David Klass in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@luckygreen317 wow, love these designs! The black rhodium just popped your stone!!! Thank you so much, helps to visualize what that could look like. Is this DK's work?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@luckygreen317 how is the maintenance on the black rhodium? Does it scratch easily?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
More scribbles, just trying out colored halos and black rhodium. So far the white halo, plain gold bezel and black rhodium. I'm rather simple and would usually pick a tailored look.

View attachment 964790
1000003683.jpg

1000003686.jpg

1000003687.jpg

More scribbles, just trying out colored halos and black rhodium. So far the white halo, plain gold bezel and black rhodium. I'm rather simple and would usually pick a tailored look.

View attachment 964790
1000003683.jpg

1000003686.jpg

1000003687.jpg

I do rather like the blue and pink with brown. But there's just something so crisp about a bright white diamond halo against an FCD center!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I do rather like the blue and pink with brown. But there's just something so crisp about a bright white diamond halo against an FCD center!
I think you're right! I think it would go too dark overall to go black with this stone. I can still see gold as an option because of the golden tones in the diamond (and I love warm gold right now) but that crispy white is the best dressed, I think.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
While I do love the idea of colored diamond melee, I feel like a halo of really white (F or higher) diamonds would set the heart off that much more. Whatever you decide to do, I'm looking forward to seeing the result... you have beautiful taste!
By the way I read this and smiled but I wanted to come back around and thank you. This is such a kind thing to say!

I have no advice--just wanted to say I love your style!
Me?? :) Awe thank you.

I agree with @Autumn in New England
I was also thinking that a bright white halo would set off the color of the brown diamond without distracting from its shape. But whatever you choose its sure to be beautiful!

Looks like I will end up with a crispy white diamond outline. Still not sure if I will double halo or do something else. However...I also don't want to do too much.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh my word, I just fell in love on Instagram. I am going to contact and see if she will work with outside stones. She has a fun design spirit that could do something adorable with this stone.
so many cute elements
Screenshot 2024-03-24 080734.png
Screenshot 2024-03-24 080801.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-24 080833.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-24 080833.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 5

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful necklace! Very well done. Was this with DK?

No not DK. My jeweler is a custom jeweler and makes all her pieces.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
No not DK. My jeweler is a custom jeweler and makes all her pieces.

Just beautiful, very fine work and the match and color and size is spot on.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love this heart! It will be beautiful however you set it. I love the idea of a white halo!
But somehow to keep the cleft of the heart very sharp. Sometimes with a halo or bezel somehow the cleft gets overwhelmed.
Maybe smaller diamonds leading into the cleft or a thinner bezel overall to keep that true heart shape. Just sharing a pet peeve lol. And hopefully this helps you!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love this heart! It will be beautiful however you set it. I love the idea of a white halo!
But somehow to keep the cleft of the heart very sharp. Sometimes with a halo or bezel somehow the cleft gets overwhelmed.
Maybe smaller diamonds leading into the cleft or a thinner bezel overall to keep that true heart shape. Just sharing a pet peeve lol. And hopefully this helps you!
I agree so much on the sharpness of that cleft in the middle. When that is not sharp, the stone gets blobby :) I want it to stay a heart and I think one of the reasons I liked it so much; it has nice lumps :D.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
No outside stones. Back to the drawing board.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results