shape
carat
color
clarity

Serendipity update

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of you may remember my incredible story of finding my EW setting. Short story is that I had a 3.443 J SI1 in a EW Margot that I found while sleuthing the internet.

I thought I had my HG but after about a year, the SI1 began to really bother me. The transparency of the stone was not as beautiful as previous stones I had. So I upgraded to a 3.243 I VS2, a glorious stone that I love. The only problem was that it was just shy of fitting in the Margot setting. So I had the stone set in a CvB Dahlia.

Dahlia is a beautiful setting but after some time I began to really miss my Margot. I kept an eagle's eye on WF inventory but nothing ever came up that would fit my Margot. And I just really didn't want to shuck out the money for another Margot. Plus that would negate my serendipity find!

About a month ago, I finally reached out to WF to inquire about when a 9.7mm I VS2 might be available and what kind of budget I would need. Unfortunately, I had serious, serious sticker shock. To go from 3.243 I VS2 to about 3.5 I VS2 was a crazy amount IMO and there was no timeline for getting one either. Now, DH is a super generous awesome guy but if I paid that amount for 0.2 mm, he would probably head to the big D! Or at the very least have me committed.

So I remembered that @MamaBee had mentioned that DK was a master at making it work.

So he did it!!! And now I can call myself Indiana Jones because I HAVE MY HG!!!

20210412_174422.jpg 20210412_173548.jpg 20210412_173555.jpg

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of you may remember my incredible story of finding my EW setting. Short story is that I had a 3.443 J SI1 in a EW Margot that I found while sleuthing the internet.

I thought I had my HG but after about a year, the SI1 began to really bother me. The transparency of the stone was not as beautiful as previous stones I had. So I upgraded to a 3.243 I VS2, a glorious stone that I love. The only problem was that it was just shy of fitting in the Margot setting. So I had the stone set in a CvB Dahlia.

Dahlia is a beautiful setting but after some time I began to really miss my Margot. I kept an eagle's eye on WF inventory but nothing ever came up that would fit my Margot. And I just really didn't want to shuck out the money for another Margot. Plus that would negate my serendipity find!

About a month ago, I finally reached out to WF to inquire about when a 9.7mm I VS2 might be available and what kind of budget I would need. Unfortunately, I had serious, serious sticker shock. To go from 3.243 I VS2 to about 3.5 I VS2 was a crazy amount IMO and there was no timeline for getting one either. Now, DH is a super generous awesome guy but if I paid that amount for 0.2 mm, he would probably head to the big D! Or at the very least have me committed.

So I remembered that @MamaBee had mentioned that DK was a master at making it work.

So he did it!!! And now I can call myself Indiana Jones because I HAVE MY HG!!!

20210412_174422.jpg 20210412_173548.jpg 20210412_173555.jpg

Yay!!! I’m so happy for you! David is amazing! I trust him with everything. I’m so happy you have your HG! Beautiful!!!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
It's such a great feeling when everything comes together just as you wanted, especially when at one point it didn't seem possible! Congratulations @Gussie your ring is just beautiful!! :love:

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
@Gussie ,
Congrats on getting everything to work out. Your patience and creativity paid off.
I especially love the claw prongs. In the photos they look very thin and artfully finished.

I know you have only had it a short time, but do you find that you have to be careful or it grabs your hair or clothes?

When you say that you didn’t want to pay for another Margot, and DK worked it out for you....can you share ( do you feel comfortable sharing) % of what you ended up saving?
Enjoy wearing your new beautiful treasure! :appl:

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Wow this is beyond stunning!!!! Congratulations, I’m so happy you were able to make this setting work!! Are you going to sell your Dahlia now?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!! So happy this worked out for you! Perfect setting with your perfect diamond and a happy husband - Gussie for the win!!!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie ,
Congrats on getting everything to work out. Your patience and creativity paid off.
I especially love the claw prongs. In the photos they look very thin and artfully finished.

I know you have only had it a short time, but do you find that you have to be careful or it grabs your hair or clothes?

When you say that you didn’t want to pay for another Margot, and DK worked it out for you....can you share ( do you feel comfortable sharing) % of what you ended up saving?
Enjoy wearing your new beautiful treasure! :appl:

Thank you! I am a little confused about your question. The EW setting is the same. David just made it fit the new stone which was a bit less than 0.2mm smaller than the previous stone. So a new EW setting would have been >$5K. I am not exactly sure the cost of David setting the stone because I had another repair at the same time. I am assuming it wasn't more than $150 setting fee. Way less than a new Margot!

Also, I never had a problem with the Margot snagging the first time I had the setting. I suspect it won't be a problem this go around either.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant! It’s a dream ring. Surely a holy grail and congrats for being patient and persistent!! Beautiful! Enjoy your new/old beauty! :)

ETA David Klass for the win! Those prongs are fierce!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! So glad you have your HG and enjoy reading that DK was able to make it work beautifully for you without getting another Margot.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s as stunning as the first time around and I’m happy for you that it could be done! DK does exceptional work and very fairly priced as well.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it looks perfect Gussie! Like it was originally made for your stone. How did he do that?! :think: Lol. I’m so happy for you that you‘ve got your beloved Margot back on your finger.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so happy that David was able to do this for you. He honestly does amazing work and for a very reasonable price. It looks beautiful!

I completely understand too about upgrading for size and the prices. The other day I was on the WF website and saw an H VS1 3.317 and I thought that was exactly the size, color and clarity I needed (I’ve always wanted about 9.5 mm and I have 9.35mm) but the price was crazy at over $58k. I quickly realized it just would not be worth it for me to spend so much more for so little difference in size.
Fortunately for me the diamond disappeared a day or so later.
Congrats on getting your HG!!!

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I am a little confused about your question. The EW setting is the same. David just made it fit the new stone which was a bit less than 0.2mm smaller than the previous stone. So a new EW setting would have been >$5K. I am not exactly sure the cost of David setting the stone because I had another repair at the same time. I am assuming it wasn't more than $150 setting fee. Way less than a new Margot!

Also, I never had a problem with the Margot snagging the first time I had the setting. I suspect it won't be a problem this go around either.

Oh ok I misread your original post to mean that it was entirely created by DK, but sounds like you took your original Margot and he tweaked the mounting for your new stone?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, DK really is amazing. How wonderful that he was able to modify it so that you could have your HG. How did he get the prongs to work so well? It looks absolutely gorgeous and right at home with your Bailey band.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so happy for you! Wear it in good health!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Can we see more shots with your EW bands too?

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
So beautiful - this is one of my all time favourite rings - @Gussie it’s fabulous

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Both beauties coming together perfectly!

It looks glorious - congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad DK could make it work! Its such a beautiful setting and stone! Dk and Amy are awesome!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's fantastic that he was able to make it work! I love that setting!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks fantastic & is one of my favourite settings. I’m pleased you were able to make your new stone work in it!

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
So happy that it all worked out. She looks amazing. Congratulations!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how awesome that DK was able to make the setting fit your beautiful diamond! I honestly didn't know that could be done! I've had a whole head replaced before, but he must have an outstanding bench to adjust a head like that one to fit a smaller stone! So happy you finally have your perfect stone and setting!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! Enjoy your HG!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie Do you know what exactly they had to do to make the stone fit?

I have no idea. The setting was made for a 9.7mm stone and my new stone is 9.53, so not a huge difference by any means- 0.17mm. I had heard that any difference above 0.1mm probably wouldn't work.

I carefully louped it and it looks like the setting was made for the stone. It fits perfectly. However he did it, I am impressed and elated!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you that I was looking through the wedding dress thread and saw your picture with your doggy. Honest to God thought I was looking at a model, you are gorgeous.

You also have one amazing jewelry collection, probably my favorite on PS. This ring is perfection.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you that I was looking through the wedding dress thread and saw your picture with your doggy. Honest to God thought I was looking at a model, you are gorgeous.

You also have one amazing jewelry collection, probably my favorite on PS. This ring is perfection.

Oh my goodness, @YadaYadaYada , this is so sweet of you to say! Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results