shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Help re: Antique Diamonds

bluecharm7

Rough_Rock
I actually just designed my own ring last year. Sourced my own diamonds and saved a ton!! I would be happy to help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JbG just added a three stone suite right in your price range.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-54ctw-antique-cushion-cut-3-stone-suite

How nice !

They do seem quite like the originals - in terms of cut style. Certainly a different species than the modern RBC ... IHMO, their purpose in life is to emit a flurry of sparkles, rather than being outright bright - I am not sure one can really have the best of both at once ... however, even these old school stones know how to do 'Bright' in the right light (daylight, for sure).

2c

Beautiful trios !

EC8

Shiny_Rock
If you love the setting I would advocate option #1; a repro will always be that, not exactly the same.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I so appreciate all your thoughts. It's helpful because even when we differ, your thoughts help me get in better touch with my own!

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I've been leaning towards going with the original ring. I love the setting and in the wise words of @EC8, "the repo will always be just that." Of course, it's still ultimately my boyfriend's decision what he gets me. But I was ready to tell him I love the ring and let the chips fall where they may.

However, then this trio from Jewels by Grace pops up. Thanks @bluecharm7

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-54ctw-antique-cushion-cut-3-stone-suite

The trio of stones + a DK setting would save $700 and get me very close to boyfriend's desired budget. There's about .5 more carat weight in the JBG trio, but the center stone faces up smaller and the side stones face up larger than the original. So the proportions would be different.

Right as I was feeling good letting go of going the custom route, this happens and makes me doubt.... DK said he could scan the original ring so he could get all the measurements and design something custom very much based on the original. But it's going to be cast and then hand assembled, not hand made, and what I love about the original is how the prongs hug each part of the stone uniquely... I'm due to return the ring, like, tomorrow, so I don't have time to get it to DK at this moment. Anyone know if this scanning equipment is something that a local jewelry store might have? I'm not sure how I would effectively compare the stones when I don't have them all in hand at the same time. If there is a dramatic enough difference in performance for me to notice, I guess I might not need them to both be in hand at the same time?

Anyway, I've attached a video of the ring to show what snippet of what the original stones look like...

I'm still leaning towards the original setting, mostly because I like that the center stone is bigger than the sides, and that it's got more of a pillow-y square shape, compared to the JBEG which seems to be a bit rounder. But a part of me is still tempted to view the stones and explore the custom option. Oy!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Check with Grace (JBG), I bought a 9 stone suite from her and they were gorgeous and well priced. She often has stuff stashed away that doesn't make it to the website. Shoot her an email - doesn't cost anything.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Comparing the original ring and the recently posted JBG trio (setting aside budget): I prefer the proportions of the original, with the pillowy middle and more distinct difference in size between middle and side stones :) Plus, in my book there's value in having a whole ring you know you like right now, vs. a ring that needs to be made, and you hope you like as much as the original.

2c, as valeria101 would say ;-)

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
@elizabethess: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one drawn to the proportions of the original... And you are spot on! There really is value and peace of mind in going with the original. Thanks for sharing the perspective... It helped me realize that I have a gut feeling that's where I want to go, and when someone agrees with me, I feel at peace. I'm feeling good about my gut, which is that I love this ring. Now I have to turn it over to my man and hope that he feels conformable stretching his budget a bit to get it. One battle down (myself and decision anxiety!) and one more to go!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results