shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice in search for purple sapphire

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. Do you have any idea why the ones at planetary gems seem so cheap in comparison to some of the other websites? The stones are all described as unheated, eye clean etc.
So, I have tried to buy from them. If they actually answer your email, I have found that the gems IRL and the photos rarely match. No lab reports on most (all?) of their gems. They seem to stop responding if you want more information. I think they are really not selling to gem nerds, but to crystal/healing/jyotish communities.

My experience was just 6-months ago and very similar to this thread from 2010. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/experience-with-planetary-gems.147272/

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen to rocky, it sounds like that might not be the best buying experience which is unfortunate because they had what looked to be some nice stones.

I personally have only bought from Multicolour so far but had a great experience with them. Might be worth looking through their inventory.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Jeff Davies one is beautiful!

Bluebonnet, did you ask for more pictures from Africa Gems on the cushion stone you found, the one that I commented might be too blue? Kid you not every single time I search for vice purple sapphires, it comes up. I'm also wondering if maybe a hand shot might show less dominant blue and more of the blue/purple your aiming for.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This might not be true for your monitor, but I have found that purples and greens get distorted on my screen. Things may be more toward violet IRL than they show. Violet stones often have a color shift, showing more or less red mixed with the blue.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
Full sun
8929fullsun.jpg
Diffused sun
8929diffusedsun.jpg
That Jeff Davies one is beautiful!

Bluebonnet, did you ask for more pictures from Africa Gems on the cushion stone you found, the one that I commented might be too blue? Kid you not every single time I search for vice purple sapphires, it comes up. I'm also wondering if maybe a hand shot might show less dominant blue and more of the blue/purple your aiming for.

He did send me some hand pics. I'll attach. Looks like it has a window and still looks too blue.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
IMG_3334.GIF Also, I was excited to hear back from the jeweler that had listed my example of the perfect color. Apparently it was incorrectly listed as sold by the webpage manager! So I need advice on what questions to ask!!
I've only seen the 1 pic on the website so far.
http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Cushion-Purple-Violet-Sapphire-232ct-CS8655.htm
It is bigger and more expensive ($4,285) than I was looking for but may work.
Here is the description.
fancy Purple-Violet Sapphire

Cut: This beautiful sapphire is square cushion cut. It measures 7.0 millimeters by 6.8 millimeters and is 5.6 millimeters in depth.

Weight: 2.319 carats

Gemstone Note: This sapphire is a natural gemstone and has not been heat treated. It is common practice for sapphires to be heated to high temperatures to improve their color and appearance. You should assume that all sapphires have been heat treated unless the seller specifically guarantees otherwise. This gemstone has not been heat treated.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3334.GIF Also, I was excited to hear back from the jeweler that had listed my example of the perfect color. Apparently it was incorrectly listed as sold by the webpage manager! So I need advice on what questions to ask!!
I've only seen the 1 pic on the website so far.
http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Cushion-Purple-Violet-Sapphire-232ct-CS8655.htm
It is bigger and more expensive ($4,285) than I was looking for but may work.
Here is the description.
fancy Purple-Violet Sapphire

Cut: This beautiful sapphire is square cushion cut. It measures 7.0 millimeters by 6.8 millimeters and is 5.6 millimeters in depth.

Weight: 2.319 carats

Gemstone Note: This sapphire is a natural gemstone and has not been heat treated. It is common practice for sapphires to be heated to high temperatures to improve their color and appearance. You should assume that all sapphires have been heat treated unless the seller specifically guarantees otherwise. This gemstone has not been heat treated.

That is super exciting that it is still available! I'm still very new to colored gems but right off the top considering the price, does it come with any kind of lab report and can you get a hand shot or video to see how it performs?

It looks like a beautiful stone, maybe you can ask them to hold it for you temporarily while you get some opinions on it here. Maybe start a new thread for opinions on this specific stone.

Is this 3.21 not too dark in the center? It might sparkle only on the outer ring? Like a window only it is blacked-out....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Blue, been thinking about your search, did you decide to order the cushion sapphire to see how it looks IRL?

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
Is this 3.21 not too dark in the center? It might sparkle only on the outer ring? Like a window only it is blacked-out....

Yeah, I think you're right. I've seen this in oval cuts before. I've had other more experienced PSers warn against ovals because they are susceptible to various cut issues, this one included. Looks like the right color though, so might be worth a look? Though, I'm quickly learning that if you see an issue in a pic, it usually doesn't look better in person, but I've heard other folks have opposite experiences.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
Hey Blue, been thinking about your search, did you decide to order the cushion sapphire to see how it looks IRL?

I have not ordered it yet but did ask for more info. Here are the pics and info she sent.

"The sapphire does not have a lab report. I evaluated it myself (I am a gemologist) and determined it was unheated because of the presence of undissolved rutile needle inclusions and also from discussion with my supplier from whom I purchased this stone many years ago.

I do not know who the cutter was. Sometimes (often) I do know who cuts a stone for us but in this specific case I do not know. It may have been originally cut in Bangkok which is a huge cutting center for sapphires and then recut/repolished in the US after import to make the cutting more precise.

I purchased this sapphire in 2007 from a supplier I have worked with for many many years; they are very reputable and knowledgeable. This is older pricing too (since I purchased it in 2007)."

What do you all think of it? I do think I still really like the color. It is a bit bigger and expensive than I originally wanted.

CS8655-On-hand1b.jpg CS8655-On-hand2b.jpg CS8655-On-hand3b.jpg CS8655-On-hand4b.jpg

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
I do like that color but too big/expensive for my budget (original budget limit $3000) and I'm really looking for round or a square cushion. I appreciate the help searching.

FYI - others have noted on other threads, and I experienced first hand, the prices listed on that website are not necessarily what you would pay. The vendor does not sell direct to the public, so you would need someone to source for you (I believe Elle from The Gemstone Project is often recommended). In my case, the price I was quoted was 1/3 less than what the website "suggested".

I realize that for this particular stone, it's probably still out of the budget, but in case you saw other stones at M&W, it's good to know :).

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not ordered it yet but did ask for more info. Here are the pics and info she sent.

"The sapphire does not have a lab report. I evaluated it myself (I am a gemologist) and determined it was unheated because of the presence of undissolved rutile needle inclusions and also from discussion with my supplier from whom I purchased this stone many years ago.

I do not know who the cutter was. Sometimes (often) I do know who cuts a stone for us but in this specific case I do not know. It may have been originally cut in Bangkok which is a huge cutting center for sapphires and then recut/repolished in the US after import to make the cutting more precise.

I purchased this sapphire in 2007 from a supplier I have worked with for many many years; they are very reputable and knowledgeable. This is older pricing too (since I purchased it in 2007)."

What do you all think of it? I do think I still really like the color. It is a bit bigger and expensive than I originally wanted.

CS8655-On-hand1b.jpg CS8655-On-hand2b.jpg CS8655-On-hand3b.jpg CS8655-On-hand4b.jpg

It looks pretty the color is really a pretty hue Not sure if there is a dead zone in the middle or if it's just the lighting. The last picture the stone looks to go dark right across the middle but then again some stones that look dark in a picture are great IRL. You might just need to get it in your hands to see if your happy with it assuming they have a great return policy.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
StephanieLynn, there is a 7 day return policy and they are willing to extend that if I want to send it off myself to get an AGL certification.

What are everyone's thoughts on sending a gem off to a lab yourself for added reassurance? AGL is the recommended one, right? Is a simple GemID report all I really need from them?

Also, when emailing a separate jeweler about the setting, he said this sapphire seems a bit deep. What are your thoughts on the stone dimensions (7mm x 6.8mm x 5.6mm)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some heated stones still show rutile silk so that is not a definitive conclusion. In any case, I usually prefer verification from an independent third party.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results