shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience with Planetary Gems

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
A few months ago I found a really striking "padparadscha" sapphire on the PG site. I sent off an email inquiry wanting to know more, and never heard back about it (I checked my spam, it wasn't there). The gem wasn't yet sold, so I decided to try again and told them I wanted to pay $500 to hold it and requested some more information.

I got an email back a few days later saying "That gem is not for sale. We will be out of the country for 2 weeks. Sorry." And that was it. I was browsing the site the next week and saw the stone still for sale, but the price had more than doubled. OK, whatever, I figured it just wasn't in the cards for me.

So then I saw a really pretty gem for sale. The picture showed a really lively pinkish orange, the description said Ceylon padparadscha from Sri Lanka so I was immediately interested. Against my better judgment I bought the stone despite the limited contact I'd received from the site before. Normally when I buy something online I get some sort of receipt or confirmation, this time nothing. I started getting nervous so I emailed the site and asked if they had received the payment. I got an email back "We got it, thanks, should arrive next week."

I got the stone, it was pretty. I was somewhat shocked by how different the color looked, but I was happy with it. I figured it would just take awhile for "monitor shock" to wear off. I looked at it in many different light sources, and began to realize how washed out it looked in sunlight. It was pretty but so pale, and I feared it would get lost next to my skin. Plus there was definitely more brown than was ideal. I decided to return it.

I followed all the steps required to return the gem. I sent it back 1st class Express, which wasn't cheap. I spent a lot of money sending it wrapped, insured, the works, per their request. Then I got an email that said I had neglected to return their white paper box that the wooden gem box had come in. And that they were charging me 20 bucks for shipping and would withdraw it from my credit card. This is AFTER I had spent all that money sending it back, and I was shocked because the shipping label on the package when the gem first arrived said it had cost far less than that to ship.

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. From the emails to the return nonsense, I really wanted to like them and purchase something else from them, but now I won't because of getting scolded about the paper box and having to jump through so many hoops and pay so much to send it back... and STILL get charged!

This is just one person's experience, and I know that English isn't the seller's first language, and I did take that into account, but the whole process was a little too much for me. I don't particularly like dealing with difficult situations when I'm spending a lot of money. I'm not asking to be treated like royalty and I'm the easiest person to deal with during a sale, but I left with a bad vibe. Oh well. They have some beautiful gems for sale and I'm sure they aren't hurting for business. I might have caught them at a bad time...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did the stone come with a lab report at all? I would be very hesitant buying from them because some of their prices seem to good to be true for the quality of color in the photos. If there is no proof to the pudding, so to speak, I would not spend my money with them, especially on a padparadscha. I'm sorry you had to deal with such rudeness and bad customer service, and for them to whine over a white box and charge you $20?? :shock:

As for paying a lot to send a gem back, that's just the name of the game if you buy online, but they had no right deductng $20 from your credit card without your approval for the missing paper box. JMO.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them, as there is little to go by on Pricescope or otherwise about Planetary Gems.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crikey Nashville, not a good experience. Thank you so much for your review. Strangely I've experienced similar (but never pulled the trigger and bought anything). Most of my emails have been ignored but when they haven't been I too have had the "we're going to be out of the country for 2 weeks" info as well.

I'm very curious also as to how much different the gem was in real life to the photo on their website - is there any chance you can do a side by side comparison please?

As for $20 for a box?????? You've got to be kidding me! What if it had been damaged on the way to you?

Well, all in all, I think you've had a very lucky escape.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds said:
Oh crikey Nashville, not a good experience. Thank you so much for your review. Strangely I've experienced similar (but never pulled the trigger and bought anything). Most of my emails have been ignored but when they haven't been I too have had the "we're going to be out of the country for 2 weeks" info as well.

I'm very curious also as to how much different the gem was in real life to the photo on their website - is there any chance you can do a side by side comparison please?

As for $20 for a box?????? You've got to be kidding me! What if it had been damaged on the way to you?

Well, all in all, I think you've had a very lucky escape.

I'll try to photoshop a comparison. But to be fair, for some reason the brown tones didn't come out in the photos I took either, but they were definitely there when I looked at it in person. So I won't say they were dishonest in their photo, but it definitely looked better in pics (weird for a pad, right?!)

I'm surprised to hear you also say how they said they would be gone for 2 weeks or not answer at all. That leads me to assume they must not be hurting for business. You'd think with the way business has slowed down in the past few years, vendors would be clamoring for business. I was seriously interested in spending quite a large sum of money on one of the larger pads and was denied access to it.

And the box issue was what really frosted me to the whole thing. It was 2 inches big made of paper. It wasn't decorated, it probably cost a nickel. And when I got the extra charge for "shipping" (hello, I can see how much it cost right there on the package!!!) I just said "Fine." I wanted to be done.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Did the stone come with a lab report at all? I would be very hesitant buying from them because some of their prices seem to good to be true for the quality of color in the photos. If there is no proof to the pudding, so to speak, I would not spend my money with them, especially on a padparadscha. I'm sorry you had to deal with such rudeness and bad customer service, and for them to whine over a white box and charge you $20?? :shock:

As for paying a lot to send a gem back, that's just the name of the game if you buy online, but they had no right deductng $20 from your credit card without your approval for the missing paper box. JMO.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them, as there is little to go by on Pricescope or otherwise about Planetary Gems.

No lab report, which is why I was shopping around for labs. The price was so low that I didn't want to demand one, I figured hey, if I get lucky with this it will be worth the cert cost.

I completely understand about shipping the gem back, that wasn't an issue. But I do take issue with saying "Shipping costs are non-refundable" and then charge me twice what it cost them to ship. That is ridiculous.

The box thing is funny to me now but at the time I was like :nono: I got a paragraph lecture about it! Seriously???

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville, for $500, I would insist on a lab report. What if you got one and it came back as synthetic or diffused, and by that time, your return policy expired, you would be out $500. In any case, I like to shop with vendors who will provide a lab report if necessary, or give enough time for you to get one and if it comes back as not advertised, they will refund you. I'm not sure what Planetary Gems return policy is, but if they're picking over the sleeve for the wooden box, it scares me to shop with them. :errrr:

Again, I'm sorry for your terrible experience with them, and I'm glad you were able to get most of your money back.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville, for $500, I would insist on a lab report. What if you got one and it came back as synthetic or diffused, and by that time, your return policy expired, you would be out $500. In any case, I like to shop with vendors who will provide a lab report if necessary, or give enough time for you to get one and if it comes back as not advertised, they will refund you. I'm not sure what Planetary Gems return policy is, but if they're picking over the sleeve for the wooden box, it scares me to shop with them. :errrr:

Again, I'm sorry for your terrible experience with them, and I'm glad you were able to get most of your money back.

It's definitely a lesson learned. The vendors I'm looking at now provide certs from reputable labs (AGL, GIA etc.)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's too bad Nash-I hope you find your dream pad soon!

On a side note, what say we go into business selling white paper boxes?

ededdeddy

Rough_Rock
Sorry to read this Nashville. The only word I can think of that fits what you went through with them is PETTY (on their part of course). Be patient I'll bet your dream pad will find you sooner then you think! :bigsmile:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember one time I had contacted them, I got a very nice email back. I contacted them again about a month ago and nothing.
I do recall that I asked about a few stones and if they were certed. I don't know if thats why I didn't get a reply back or not.

At any rate, I can always find something I want elsewhere if they're not looking to do business.

Sorry to hear about your story, and too bad they charged you so much for a freaking cardboard box(you think you can get your credit card to reverse that charge??)

-A

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian said:
I remember one time I had contacted them, I got a very nice email back. I contacted them again about a month ago and nothing.
I do recall that I asked about a few stones and if they were certed. I don't know if thats why I didn't get a reply back or not.

At any rate, I can always find something I want elsewhere if they're not looking to do business.

Sorry to hear about your story, and too bad they charged you so much for a freaking cardboard box(you think you can get your credit card to reverse that charge??)

-A

I am getting the impression that if you ask too many questions, they stop responding. I find that vendors with places like ebay and such do that as well, they don't want too many questions about certification and will ignore you if they think you're "wasting their time."

It's sad. Vendors have to realize that people are holding onto their money for dear life these days, and it's not out of line for a buyer to educate themselves to the best of their ability and be 1000% confident in their purchase. That can't happen if questions about quality aren't answered. I was just shocked that I was asking about something that was well over a thousand dollars and getting "No, sorry." And then the price went way up :confused:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
I am getting the impression that if you ask too many questions, they stop responding. I find that vendors with places like ebay and such do that as well, they don't want too many questions about certification and will ignore you if they think you're "wasting their time."

It's sad. Vendors have to realize that people are holding onto their money for dear life these days, and it's not out of line for a buyer to educate themselves to the best of their ability and be 1000% confident in their purchase. That can't happen if questions about quality aren't answered. I was just shocked that I was asking about something that was well over a thousand dollars and getting "No, sorry." And then the price went way up :confused:

Yep, and that's a sure signal to stay away. I only deal with vendors that answer my questions about color, and are not afraid to discuss treatments and certification.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have to make this quick, but I wanted to chime in as soon as I saw the title.

First of all, Nashville, I am so sorry to hear about your negative experience with PG. It does not bother me that you were charged $20 in "shipping" for the return, as many vendors, including the NSC and some Ebay stores, charge restocking fees in addition to charging the customer shipping for the gem in the first place--what does bother me was that this was not made explicit to you until you were in the process of making the return. This policy, if it is indeed a policy, should be clearly displayed on the website. I've browsed the website many, many times and I've never seen such a statement made.

I've had similar experiences to you all with Planetary Gems. Unanswered emails, or otherwise very short succinct replies that left much to be desired in the customer service department. That being said, I called in one day and had an excellent conversation with Rudy, who I am assuming is the owner of PG. I was interested in purchasing just one emerald cabochon; there's been a parcel of 3 listed on his site for ages, and I asked if he'd consider breaking it up. I don't believe his first language is English, which might have added to the communications barrier. In fact, I'm sure it added to it. This also made me understand PG's gem descriptions. Regardless, I left the conversation feeling much more confident about PG and much more interested in their gems. He told me that he'd let me know by the following day or two if he'd be willing to break up the parcel. I never did get an email back.

I'm truly confused about this company. My conversation with Rudy made it seem like he was often busy on gem buying trips and like business was bustling; it also sounded like many of PG's stones end up going to jewelers or those in the trade. But, his website is quite slow-moving for a supposedly busy company. For a while, I did think well of PG. PG has a pretty large inventory and good prices, and most everything is unheated as well. After reading this thread, I think my opinion has definitely changed. Again, Nashville, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with PG, but I am very glad that the return/refund process is now complete and you're now able to continue the search for your padparadscha.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your response, Indy. It's true, I understand restocking fees, and I have no problems with sellers doing that, but you're right they do not tell the buyer anywhere on their site that this is a policy. So you can imagine how I felt when this person who isn't being too friendly in the first place, has my credit card number and says they are charging my credit card money I wasn't aware of, nor agreed to. I was like woah now, I went through the return policy with a fine tooth comb!

Maybe they should revise it to say "We require all original packaging be returned. There is a $20 restocking fee." Instead of just saying this is how it is... after you've already returned the item.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville,
The way I interpret the silence is that they want stupid and easily fooled buyers. Prospective buyers who ask many questions means that they know their gemstones and they know what they are talking about, so for vendors who photoshop or sell questionable gems, they know they can’t pull the wool over these type of buyers, hence hoping the buyer will just go away and not expose the vendor for what they are. Like others, I am interested in how different the stone looks to you in real life compared to the vendor’s photography. I’ve always wondered about the pictures on PG as they always show very nice looking gems at a fraction of the price one would expect.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the vendor pic...

1.27pad.jpg

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
And my pic. Pretty, but not quite as multi-dimensional as what I was looking for. Quite a bit more brown than shows.

smallpad112.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It reminds me of the color of flesh.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
It reminds me of the color of flesh.

It was virtually disappearing into my skin. I thought it would be more pink...?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think there’s any way around a padparadscha sapphire not blending into the skin because of the official labs’ definition. I imagine most people’s skin colour have some mixture of orange and pink as well, with a pastel-ish tone. Only those who are very pale or very dark will be able to pull off a padparadscha sapphire that will not disappear when worn.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono said:
I don’t think there’s any way around a padparadscha sapphire not blending into the skin because of the official labs’ definition. I imagine most people’s skin colour have some mixture of orange and pink as well, with a pastel-ish tone. Only those who are very pale or very dark will be able to pull off a padparadscha sapphire that will not disappear when worn.

The brown in it made it look like a band aid color. Art Nouveau and TGal's rings definitely didn't blend in and they both have fair skin.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64 said:
I assume you will be setting the stone at some point? Perhaps if you set it in something like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52440535/pi ... sweetheart

the color wouldn't seem to fade into your skin?

I actually ended up sending the stone back. That's a very pretty setting though! I was thinking maybe a white diamond split shank setting in WG. I know not everyone is crazy about them, but I do love halo settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results