shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice in search for purple sapphire

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@bluebonnet04 I'm actually looking for a similar violet stone to yours, maybe a a little lighter, but in round cut and 2-3 carats. All the advice on here is great - but I'm having a hard time finding something in with those criteria between 2-3 carats. I either find them under 2 or over 4 (which is way $$). Looking to stay under 7k, if anyone comes across a stone like this or has recs on where to look I would REALLY appreciate it!! :)

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Another unrelated question - thoughts on using rose gold as a setting for a violet sapphire?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only worry with rose gold is that it will tend to emphasize the pink tones that you didn't want to highlight. If your maker has it, you could use peach gold. It is between yellow and rose gold in color...very similar to antique rose gold.

The curved band is peach, the wide band rose

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That looks beautiful. It's hard to fine a nice purple sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say you absolutely hit the jackpot - I love that cushion cut of Jeff's, love his cutting in general, and think its an awesome size and color. :appl:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! It looks amazing from the pics - I hope it holds up when you get it in hand! (And, of course, I hope for more pics then too ;-)

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
IMG_3323.JPG Unfortunately I am sending it back because it was too much on the pinkish/reddish side of purple. I'm looking for bluish-purple, perhaps more properly called violet as valeria101 said. This one only looked violet to me under a bright white LED. He does not currently have any rough that would be more violet.
Here's a pic under fluorescent. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Attachments

• IMG_3319.JPG
    IMG_3319.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 9

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry that stone didn't work out for you. I know this stone is smaller but in terms of color is this more along the lines of what you're looking for?

IMG_2386.jpg

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
IMG_3323.JPG Unfortunately I am sending it back because it was too much on the pinkish/reddish side of purple.

I know the color didn't work for you, but WOWZA that's a pretty color. Maybe I should rethink my blue ;-)!

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
IMG_3334.GIF
Sorry that stone didn't work out for you. I know this stone is smaller but in terms of color is this more along the lines of what you're looking for?

IMG_2386.jpg

I was thinking of a color like this example (stone has been sold).

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah okay, I'll keep my eyes open for you. That is a really pretty color, intense but very eye catching.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an FYI, you might want to check out Africa Gems, they are offering 15% off gemstones until August 31st.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty but to me it looks more blue than the stone you posted above. If others weigh in that it looks promising it may be worth looking at.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
It's pretty but to me it looks more blue than the stone you posted above. If others weigh in that it looks promising it may be worth looking at.
Yeah, I was kind of worried that it might be too blue. I may contact them to ask for more photos

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this one which seems to be closer to the color I think you're looking for but it is on the smaller side and an oval. This one is also from Africa Gems:

IMG_2436.PNG

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
I found this one which seems to be closer to the color I think you're looking for but it is on the smaller side and an oval. This one is also from Africa Gems:

IMG_2436.PNG
Yes, I love that color but don't want an oval.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluebonnet are you open to a primarily blue sapphire with color change to purple or do you want it to look the same all the time?

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
Bluebonnet are you open to a primarily blue sapphire with color change to purple or do you want it to look the same all the time?

I'm open to some color change but would want it to stay within a violet-blue to purple (not at all pink side of purple) range. So I guess that's not a lot of room there.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this one last night but didn't post it because I wasn't sure if you were okay with color change:

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1281

I know in the picture it looks a bit light but in the video it looked like a more intense blue.

ETA: Also look at Planetary gems, they have some really pretty stones although I haven't personally bought from them before. The bottom left on this page looks promising:

https://www.planetarygems.com/rare gemstones7.htm

Last edited:

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure you are already aware of this inconvenient truth about sapphires, which is that they have a high density compared with other popular gems like emeralds and opals. Example: sapphire/ruby has a density of around 4g per cu/cm. Emeralds are around 2.7g c/cm and opals 2g c/cm. That means a 1 carat sapphire is only as large as a .5ct opal or a .7ct emerald. The converse side of that unfortunate reality, is that you can get a significantly larger emerald or opal for the same carat weight as a sapphire. There are popular gems that are even more dense than sapphires, like spessartite garnets and zircons. When buying a zircon, and someone tries to sell one that's a carat or less, you just laugh a little and ask for one over 2cts!

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
IMG_3339.JPG PUS82536BCU.JPEG
You probably want to make sure the stone isn't too dark. Remember they will be darker in real life than in the vendor pics (which are often taken under bright lights) and darker again once you set it (as the setting blocks some of the light). Maybe try to make sure you get some shots of the stones on the back of the vendors hand? This might make it easier to judge how dark it is.

There are some nice ones at finewatergems, also a lot of people have bought purple sapphires from Jeff Davies (this is a really pretty example).

It is going to help a lot if you can indicate a preferred budget.

Also I am struggling to read the gemsny photo style, but I think that cushion might have a window.
I asked for more photos of the GemsNY 1.61ct stone. They sent one on a hand (I'll post it and original online pic.) Can you tell if there's a window? Also, the new pic really shows a bluer color, but they say the online pic is more accurate. They are apparently about to send it to a jeweler, so I'm getting pressure to give them an answer quickly.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
IMG_3340.PNG
IMG_3339.JPG PUS82536BCU.JPEG
I asked for more photos of the GemsNY 1.61ct stone. They sent one on a hand (I'll post it and original online pic.) Can you tell if there's a window? Also, the new pic really shows a bluer color, but they say the online pic is more accurate. They are apparently about to send it to a jeweler, so I'm getting pressure to give them an answer quickly.

Also have this pic from their UGL certificate.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No sorry -- that hand picture just looks dark and too far zoomed out for me.

This is the only picture they have provided you which has other everyday objects in the frame which you can evaluate the color of (to decide whether the photograph is over-exposed, white balance is off ect). Everything looks pretty normal to me -- so I would probably take this as a fair representation of how their stone will look under normal lighting conditions. And then if you still love it, and their returns policy looks solid I would order it to see for myself. But I would only buy it if you love it. Also before ordering I would want to be sure about the level and type of treatment.

May I suggest looking also at Lisa Elser's website, she has a similar looking cushion.

(on a complete side note I am a bit upset at them. It sounds like they have provided you with only one picture, put the pressure on for you to decide fast, and then said that the best picture they could take did not accurately represent how their stone looks under every day conditions (despite the fact that they are an online gem retailer who should be professionally equipped to photograph gems for internet clients, and want you to decide in a hurry.........). Digital pictures are cheap, and it is not hard to get multiple images.)

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
Thanks, qubitasaurus. I appreciate the feedback. I do not really like the color in the photo they sent of it on a hand, and I don't like feeling rushed without enough info to make a good decision.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
I found this one last night but didn't post it because I wasn't sure if you were okay with color change:

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1281

I know in the picture it looks a bit light but in the video it looked like a more intense blue.

ETA: Also look at Planetary gems, they have some really pretty stones although I haven't personally bought from them before. The bottom left on this page looks promising:

https://www.planetarygems.com/rare gemstones7.htm

Thanks. Do you have any idea why the ones at planetary gems seem so cheap in comparison to some of the other websites? The stones are all described as unheated, eye clean etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results