shape
carat
color
clarity

Second thoughts on choice of diamond shape;

asdormin

Rough_Rock
https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-y...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Any thoughts on the attached above diamond? Is it cut/faceted well in your opinion? Would the return of light be good? I recently ordered a cushion cut diamond (attached below) from Blue Nile with your assistance and was very happy with my choice, until I saw a similar sized princess cut one at a store, which faced up much bigger than the one I got, so I have been having second thoughts about exchanging it for a princess cut, while still in my 30 days return period. Do you reckon that the attached above diamond would face up bigger than the cushion cut one I ordered? Maybe you could offer me better options within that price range? @marymm , your input will be appreciated, but I would like others opinion as well. Thank you in advance.

https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD11870207

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-y...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Any thoughts on the attached above diamond? Is it cut/faceted well in your opinion? Would the return of light be good? I recently ordered a cushion cut diamond (attached below) from Blue Nile with your assistance and was very happy with my choice, until I saw a similar sized princess cut one at a store, which seemed to face up much bigger than the one I got, so I have been having second thoughts about exchanging it for a princess cut, while still in my 30 days return period. Do you reckon that the attached above diamond would face up bigger than the cushion cut one I ordered? Maybe you could offer me better options within that price range? I would appreciate @marymm , your input will be appreciated, but I would like others opinion as well.

https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD11870207
The new stone will face up smaller, not bigger. Look at mm dimensions of length and width (not depth, bc it doesn't go into face up size). The one you got is .2mm larger.

asdormin

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs , I used the the diamdb.com website to compare them face to face and it gave me the following result - 5% bigger face up for the princess cut diamond. I imagine its because of the sharp edges, which increase the overall surface, no? Does cushion cut length and width get measure by the center of the diamond, where the diamond is widest? The one I saw in store with my own eyes, although an I in colour, was most certainly facing up bigger than mine or maybe it was an illusion?

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1ct-cushion-5.89x5.8x4.04-vs-1ct-princess-5.78x5.57x3.84/

Last edited:

Girl505

Rough_Rock
I recently had to make a similar decision as I was looking for square shaped stones. I ultimately chose a cushion cut diamond but I wanted to point out that with a princess cut you run a higher risk of it chipping given the sharp corners. You may have already known that but just wanted to bring it to your attention as it may require you to be more careful with your ring.

asdormin

Rough_Rock
My partner is a hair stylist and a busy one, so it is a valid point. I was seriously considering this and the height of the setting at first, but I think that I am now blinded by size, which I hope I will not regret, in case I decide to change it of course.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Looking for options, I came accross this wildcard - a D/VS cushion slightly larger in surface - WWW

2p

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, in the interests of full disclosure, I am not partial to Princess-cuts; I don't care for the glittery/splintery diamond performance, the sharp corners, the V-prongs which best protect the sharp corners.

I also agree with poster above that the sharp corners of princess-cut diamonds are prone to chipping so setting and use/wear should carefully considered.

The corners of a princess-cut tend to make the face-up appear larger, when in fact the dimensions of your cushion (5.89 x 5.80mm) are comparatively larger than the princess-cut's (5.78 x 5.57mm). Your princess-cut has a very large table at 78% and a rather flat crown, which also tends to make the stone appear larger than another stone with a smaller table (like your cushion, with 64% table) yet larger overall dimensions.

upload_2019-5-16_10-35-33.png

To my eyes, based only on the images/videos, the J-cushion seems brighter/whiter as compared to the J-princess. But color comparison is best made with both stones in hand.

Based on the videos, I also prefer the performance of the cushion over the princess-cut - the cushion has a dynamic and lively facet performance edge-to-edge, while the princess-cut shows activity only in the center with the outer edges and corners showing up as mushy.

In the end, it comes down to your and your partner's preferences. Keep in mind, if you like the look of sharper corners, you could set the cushion in a metal surround with corners. However, if you/your partner prefers the glittery look of a princess-cut, there's your answer (though be sure to set it so that the corners are protected).

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s her favorite stone shape? That’s all that really matters!

That said, I don’t think a stone with sharp corners would be a good idea for a hair stylist!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
The stone has to "speak" to you. Different cuts speak to different people overall, I would ensure that you know her preference here! There are some cuts that I wouldn't say "YES!" to... lol. Well, I'd say yes and then I'd have the ring "fixed". :razz:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking for options, I came accross this wildcard - a D/VS cushion slightly larger in surface - WWW

2p

Oh my gosh...love this little guy! Its only 1% smaller than the princess you posted. Its also 100% cuter than the princess you posted :).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

2p
Omg @AV_ ! That diamond is gorgeous!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
While the pointed corners of a princess cut diamond will generally be set so that the corners are protected by metal prongs, there is still risk to the corners of the diamond if they are being banged around, e.g. within a shampoo bowl when your fiancé is shampooing her clients, if she works in a salon that does not have additional staff performing that service.

I think a cushion cut diamond is a better choice, but it really comes down to what shape do you and your fiancé find most appealing?

On a side note, my late wife Robin owned two hair salons with her ex-husband (before my time) and she recommended that the stylists wear their rings on a chain around their neck while working to avoid damage. Just something to think about...

Ss52

Shiny_Rock

2p

WOW, that’s beautiful!

Reactions: AV_

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That princess has a large table that I would avoid. He cushion is nice.

asdormin

Rough_Rock
My partner is definitely into square cuts, so she would not mind either cushion or princess. My personal preferences lie with cushion, mainly because I am a rational and practical individual, but I must admit that I got a bit jealous of the larger facing up princess cut I saw in store. After reading your replies, I reconsidered and will stick to my initial choice. It is a beautiful diamond and I am sure that my partner will love it.

After giving it some more consideration, I came to the conclusion that I might have not made the best choice when it comes to setting selection. The current Tapered Cathedral Engagement Ring (attached below), which is 2.15 mm in width, seems to overwhelm the diamond, so I was thinking of replacing it with the Petite Cathedral Engagement Ring (also attached below). It is actually the same band, but quite thinner. I then came across the Monique Lhuillier Cathedral Engagement Ring (final attachment), which is originally designed for round diamonds, but can be customized to accommodate a cushion cut. My partner loves tulips, they are her favorite flowers, so this would make a great choice, if applicable. Would it be safe enough, if it is specifically designed for round diamonds? Will it look good? Will it sit much higher with this setting? Would it enhance the diamonds size better than the Petite Cathedral Solitaire Engagement Ring? What about performance - is a more open setting better or worse (bare in mind it is a J, but not a yellow one at all)? Perhaps someone possesses an engagement ring with the same setting, which you could refer me to? I have messed the size up, this has now been confirmed, so I will have to return the ring for resizing. It would be a good time to make any bigger changes, which is why I beg you for advice.

Tapered Cathedral Engagement Ring - current setting
setting_template_main

Petite Cathedral Engagement Ring - replacement option 1
setting_template_main

Monique Lhullier Cathedral Engagement Ring - replacement option 2
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...llier-cathedral-solitaire-ring-platinum_41263

2p

Thank you for the suggestion, but it does go quite above my budget.

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

2p

This does look beautiful! Why is cut only “good”?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the petite cathedral setting. The Monique is nice, but pricey and the stone sits up quite a bit higher than is practical *for me*

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@asdormin would you consider a bezel to protect the stone if your intended works with her hands a lot as a stylist? Or even a halo would be safer.

This looks similar to your setting budget from your linked choices:

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_60449?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

Are you open to another setting vendor other than Blue Nile? They don't have a ton of options... And you can get a better quality and finish elsewhere, but I do understand the appeal of a one stop purchase.

Or putting it on a chain at work is safer.

asdormin

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, she is not a big fan of halo settings. I have already inquired about the Monique Lhullier Catherdal Engagement Ring, but they are apparently in the process of changing the design of that particular setting, which means that unless they manage to simply fit a cuahion cut diamond into it, they would not be able to custom make it for me. This was quite a disappointing response, as I do not think that the setting will just accommodate a cushion cut like that, not without amending it, but it is what it is. I might have to settle with the Petite Cathedral Engagement Ring.

What is your opinion of companies that offer scetched/CAD designed custom made jewelry? There are a few UK based companies, mainly located in London, but to what extent do you reckon that they would successfully manage to recreate the Monique Lhullier Catgerdal Engagement Ring? I am quite keen on it, as you can probably tell, because of what it represents, but maybe it just wasnt meant to be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results