color
clarity

Second sparklie splurge - red spinel

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1489613516|4140644 said:
Thank you Arcadian. :appl:

Here is a mock-up I did of the Sholdt Lena (from BGD's website) that I was thinking about. While the metal looks a little pink, it's intended to be WG. Do the proportions look okay? I did them as close to 'scale' as possible.

I like the idea of this ring. The ONLY issue I would worry about is if the middle stone would have enough light under and around it. But proportions look great to me. I'm a weird one that feels that side stones don't necessarily have to be of the same width. and I think here (if you're planning to bezel them) they'd be perfectly fine.

Of course the question is, you got enough finger for allathat?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1489614787|4140648 said:
JoCoJenn|1489613516|4140644 said:
Thank you Arcadian. :appl:

Here is a mock-up I did of the Sholdt Lena (from BGD's website) that I was thinking about. While the metal looks a little pink, it's intended to be WG. Do the proportions look okay? I did them as close to 'scale' as possible.

I like the idea of this ring. The ONLY issue I would worry about is if the middle stone would have enough light under and around it. But proportions look great to me. I'm a weird one that feels that side stones don't necessarily have to be of the same width. and I think here (if you're planning to bezel them) they'd be perfectly fine.

Of course the question is, you got enough finger for allathat?
Excellent points, Arcadian! :clap: I'm pretty sure I have the finger real estate for this; I have approx 20mm east to west when my fingers are closed/against each other (which I rarely keep them). The center is 6.2mm wide (if set north/south), plus 5mm each trillion. Lets call that 18mm including an air line on each side of the spinel.

Also, I think it will have enough light. The center would set up a smidge above the sapphires, allowing light in from the sides, and I would think the white sapphires might also allow more light or reflect it some into the center as well. And it is open on the north &a south sides just beaneath the semi-bezels. Here is the setting 'as is' from the side and underneath.

img_15650.jpg

img_15651.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been away from Colored Stones for far too long. If I hadn't caught a glimpse of Jenn saying she had bought a red spinel I never would have seen this thread. (Jenn, your spinel is gorgeous and I loved the mock-up you did of a ring.) Would you, please, post a link to the thread about your Mahenge garnet? I didn't know you had a garnet ring.

Since other members have been posting their red spinel rings in your thread, I will, too. I have two of them, both are from the Mogok Tract in Burma, as is yours.

The four pictures below are of my first ring. I will post photos of my second ring below.

AGBF

Attachments

• agbforiginalspinelring1.bmp
    351.3 KB · Views: 206
  • agbforiginalspinelring4.bmp
    387.5 KB · Views: 191
  • agbforiginalspinelring5.bmp
    235.6 KB · Views: 199
  • agbforiginalspinelring2.bmp
    404.8 KB · Views: 199

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my second red spinel. The diamond pear side stones were bought from Jonathan at Good Old Gold.* He helped me tremendously in putting the ring together exactly the way I wanted it, although I sourced the red spinel on my own. Grunberger Jewelers actually made the ring.

AGBF

*Link...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-find-a-red-stone-a-red-spinel-or-a-ruby.155192/page-13']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-find-a-red-stone-a-red-spinel-or-a-ruby.155192/page-13[/URL]

_39169.jpg

mynewredspinel21.jpg

_39170.jpg

_39171.jpg

On the hand totally sweet. Perfect with your complexion. Alone it looked a bit dull but on your hand: super!

S

SparkliesLuver

JoCoJenn said:
Also, one option I am considering is setting it with these two white trillion sapphires I have had for awhile. They are 5x5mm, and the spinel is 6.2x6.6mm. But the sapphires are so white that I feel like I'd have to go with a very-white metal. Any thoughts on these proportions? The second pic is the three stones upside down.

Going to be totally honest here, so please take it for what you will. I find the side stones to be too large. I guess I'd prefer they be even a touch smaller (in comparison to the center stone). I loooooove the proportions of AGBF's second spinel ring, if that helps give you more insight into my thoughts. I will say I like the setting as-is - it's unique and lets your center stone shine even more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered unplated white gold? It's a bit softer than stark white but still provides enough contrast against the red.

S

SparkliesLuver

That's actually a really good suggestion, Chrono. I have several unplated white gold pieces and I love them because they do have that unique balance between the two.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1489631907|4140736 said:
This is my second red spinel. The diamond pear side stones were bought from Jonathan at Good Old Gold.* He helped me tremendously in putting the ring together exactly the way I wanted it, although I sourced the red spinel on my own. Grunberger Jewelers actually made the ring.

AGBF

*Link...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-find-a-red-stone-a-red-spinel-or-a-ruby.155192/page-13']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-find-a-red-stone-a-red-spinel-or-a-ruby.155192/page-13[/URL]

If you EVER get rid of this ring, talk to me first. :love: :love: :love: :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb: your spinel rings are sooo TDF! :love: :love: Now that I think about it, I do believe I have a couple small-ish (.25ct) loose old mine/euro cut diamonds that might be better proportioned to pair with this. :think:

Chrono: unplated WG is definitely an option, and is really my preferred metal, but with how white the sapphires are, I think I would need something a bit whiter. But if I scrap the idea of using them ... :naughty:

Sparklies: I appreciate your input. My first thought was they might be too big, so I thought perhaps if bezeled, they'd look a little smaller, but the more I draw up options with them, the more I am coming to the same conclusion.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also forgot that I have these two red ruby bags from Jeff Davies that are (to my eye) a very close match in color. :think:

I don't have to use them, but I have them, so ... I also have seven 3mm rose cut diamonds in my loose stone stash. Just perusing options. :lol:

img_15669.jpg

img_15670.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind all reds. The rose cuts though.... Yum!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm officially requesting a layout of your red surrounded by rose cuts. Please and thank you. ;-) :lickout:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't thinking all red ... just perhaps on the shoulders ... since the ring color would help break it up a bit.

Here are all three together taken just now, the first two outside and the last indoors.

img_15691.jpg

img_15692.jpg

img_15693.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinel + rose cuts = perfection ;))

meladori

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous red spinels! I love this thread. :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Chono! I am tending to agree ... the rose cuts add a hint of white sparkle without overwhelming the spinel, letting it remain center stage. I am just trying to balance what I know I like/love (modern-ish three stones) with something that might be just slightly outside my comfort zone.

Here are a few arrangements I was just playing with for giggles. :love:

img_15702.jpg

img_15703.jpg

img_15704.jpg

img_15705.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now some stand alone pics of the spinel with the rose cuts ... :love:

img_15706.jpg

img_15707.jpg

img_15708.jpg

img_15709.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Loooooove those rose cuts! :appl:

Is it too lonely looking with one rose cut on each side (to still achieve that 3-stone look)? Just talking out loud.

ETA: Ooooooo, or a 5-stone: red bag, rose, center, rose, red bag

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one with everything! 2 Bags, 3 rose up + 3 rose down + centre Spinel.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not too much? Playing with these tiny stones is reminiscent of playing the game 'Operation' as a kid! :lol: two of them slid down in the last pic, but I was too frustrated to fix them. :D

If I include the ruby bags, do they look close enough in color? To me & my eyes, they do, but ya'll are better at this sort of thing than I am!

img_15710.jpg

img_15711.jpg

img_15712.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with Chrono, go for all the bling, the whole nine stones! How much finger coverage will there be?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOO I likey with the rose cuts! :love: :love: :love: :drool:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the rose cuts with it as well, but I don't want the ring to have a 'vintage/Edwardian' feel to it. So I have to come up with a design that feels more 'modern-ish' because that's what I mostly reach for in my jewelry box.

I was back to playing with the sapphires as sides last night, and came up with these three ideas which are pretty much 'to scale' based on measurements. Note that the sapphires are bezeled while the spinel would set up a little bit and have claw prongs to allow light in.

I am a visual person, so I have to 'play' with ideas like this to see how they might look before I can decide. I will try some next with the rose cuts.

img_15719.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple rose cut layouts ... the RCs would set down into a sort of octagonal bezel that bevels down/inward to protect them a bit since they are so thin. I am a little worried about accidentally whacking the ring and chipping or cracking one ... a good reason to not use them all and keep one or two replacements on hand ... just in case. :errrr:

Any thoughts comparing these to the sapphire options?

img_15725.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
+1 for the 3 rose cuts aside. Proportions look about just right.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe I have settled on an overall design concept for my spinel using the ruby bags & diamond rose cuts. I sent my conceptual drawings to CvB and we've talked through my ideas, so now just need to finalize a couple minor details and get 'er done. :dance:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah! Looking forward to see what she comes up with.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah! Looking forward to see what she comes up with.
She's actually taking my conceptual drawing (which has greatly improved thanks to this tablet :appl:) and having her CAD person plug it in to see how/where we need to fine-tune the details (e.g., the RC bezels, joining points, etc). I drew this up as close to 'scale' as possible, and we're going to chat a little more on it before we pull the CAD trigger. But I'm pretty excited about it. It will have a sort of Edwardian layout but with a more modern feel that I know I prefer.
IMG_1541.jpg IMG_1563.PNG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A better image of the stones/layout, showing their scale/proportions:

IMG_1548.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results