shape
carat
color
clarity

Second round of CADs are here

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome. I hope it helps because I have no idea how it applies to jewellery making. :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read all your replies so apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said ..............

The only change I would consider is making the band more tapered i.e. so that it gets slightly thinner as it disappears around your finger and under. The reason I'm suggesting this is that from the top view the shank looks a tiny bit too bulky in proportion to the rest of the ring - and yes I know that CADs add weight. If you thinned the shank it would follow the line from the split shank down the rest of the ring. If you agree, I would ask to see an amended CAD and then make a decision.

By the way, I love the more delicate re-design and in answer to Chrono's last post - I'm pretty sure that some designers feed the CAD straight from the machine to the machine that cuts the design (not technically explained but hope you know what I mean). If that's the case then any kink would be there in the final setting.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LD: Thank you for mentioning the tapering shank to me. I did bring it up as a possible tweak right back when I got the first CADs, but it slipped my mind. As soon as I read your thought I agreed, so I'll write to Dan and Caren now to ask for this as a possible tweak.

At the moment the shank is 2.75mm. Do you think 0.2-0.3mm tapering would be enough to get the more delicate effect? I would like the band to still feel pretty substantial but just not to look it, you know ;-) and do you have any pictures that might help to illustrate this slight taper? I'll go and have a look, but if you have some in your "bank" or your jewellery collection it would be a great help.

Thank you very much. And thanks for your advice re the CAD renderings too.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I've just mocked this up very roughly: do you think this is about right? It looks it to me...

CAD 11.07.11 top view taper.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't need my help - you've done a brilliant job with that! That's exactly how I imagined it. It just seems to flow now doesn't it?

If you still want photos I'll see if I have some but honestly I think your amendments are perfect.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, you're kind :oops: and I much prefer it too. :twirl: don't worry about the photos: I'm sure they'll get what I mean when I show them the image.

It won't make a significant difference to the possible top-heaviness of the ring, will it, as it's only a tiny width alteration? And it is probably only 0.3mm thinner...?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it shouldn't. If you're worried about the ring spinning (and if the stone is high or heavy this is always a possibility) you can ask them to put two tiny balls on the inside of the shank. I can't remember what they're called but this stabilises the ring

ETA - I don't think the ring will be too high. I don't know the size of your central stone but I've got a similar trellis effect ring (where you can see the whole stone from the side) and because it has side stones - similar to yours - it balances it out.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
The centre stone is 8mm. I'll wait until I get it to the UK and see how it performs before I get sizing beads put in it. That's why I'm so antsy about these tiny details, coz it would be a right pain to have it sent over here and have to send it straight back for tweaks after the fact. I'm very happy about the tapering detail = this is why Pricescope rocks. Thank you :twirl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great strategy. 8mm is a good size. I wear a size 6 (UK L) and I can comfortably wear a high 8mm but then I love high rings! :wink2:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Mine will be UK N, which = 6 3/4 US (such a fiddly number!), so I should be fine with it if you are. I wear a quite high ring every day on my third finger, so hopefully I can be nice and careful with this one as well :mrgreen:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This looks like a really interesting project. Can't wait to see the ring!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. Me too! - it's very exciting, although I am finding the process more nervewracking that I thought it would be...! :shock:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The taper is a great touch - it's the little details like that that makes one ring more noticeable than the other even if they are of similar designs.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
:D

I do like the taper a lot: you're right, it adds class to the whole design, and shows joined-up thought. I wonder why I didn't consider the issue more at an earlier stage, as it looks the obviously sensible option now. I am really pleased LD mentioned it! I'll post again when I have the - hopefully final! - CADs. I hope it's soon!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the taper, to 2.4mm shank (I mentioned that figure to Dan). I do like it, and it does follow the line nicely, but am wondering if I could lose say another 0.2mm...? Mind you, I don't want it to be too delicate...

14.07.11 CAD taper.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's more feminine when compared side by side, or rather, top and bottom. :tongue: Will shaving off an additional 0.2 mm compromise the integrity of the setting? Do you mean 0.2 mm in a particular portion of the setting or the overall width?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask them to do a third option with the extra 0.2 shaved off and put it at the bottom of the CAD so you can compare.

I would say to shave it off because the taper isn't quite there yet and it still looks like a substantial shank so I don't think it will be too skinny. If you compare the shank to the 8mm central stone you can see how it's still a good size.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I've just asked Dan to show me a taper going to 2.2mm instead of the shown 2.4mm, stacked on top of each other to compare. Chrono: I meant overall width once tapered to 2.2mm around the finger. Hopefully this extra 0.2mm won't compromise the setting, but if I like them both equally, we could maybe split the difference ;-)

Dan's being superpatient about this process: I really appreciate how friendly and professional both he and Caren have been with me and the project. :twirl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, tapering makes a really big difference. I'm learning a lot. You guys are great!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Taper comparison CADs are in!

I think the 2.2mm is just right :twirl: plus Dan confirmed that the kink(s) will definitely not be in the cast. I think we have GO...?! :shock:

ETA: and is it weird to say I rather like it in the red/blue colourway...! ;-)

CAD 18.07.11 taper comparison top.jpg

CAD 18.07.11 taper comparison side.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.2 mm may not be noticeable IRL, but I still prefer it in the CADs. It's a GO! :appl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
H'rah! :D It's an odd thing, but I feel almost nervous now I've come to the end of the road: as if I've forgotten an important detail, like the centre stone ;-) I can't believe there's no more changes to be made...!

PSers: speak now, or forever hold your peace! (or something) :Up_to_something:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
natsplat|1310994502|2971334 said:
H'rah! :D It's an odd thing, but I feel almost nervous now I've come to the end of the road: as if I've forgotten an important detail, like the centre stone ;-) I can't believe there's no more changes to be made...!

PSers: speak now, or forever hold your peace! (or something) :Up_to_something:

I always feel that way, too. It all looks good, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you identify! I canNOT wait to see it: if I like it in this clunky CAD, then I should adore it when it's in its actual form...! :naughty:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go go go go go!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about CADS or jewelry design either but I just had to chime in and tell you what a beautiful ring it's going to be.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Hee LD - I've written to Dan now with the green light! Thank you for your help, especially with the taper :D

Thank you platinumrock! I'm loving this entire process but it's a little daunting at the same time. It helps hearing your support :twirl:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
natsplat|1311015365|2971592 said:
Hee LD - I've written to Dan now with the green light! Thank you for your help, especially with the taper :D

Thank you platinumrock! I'm loving this entire process but it's a little daunting at the same time. It helps hearing your support :twirl:

No problem! That's how a lot of visionaries felt, and they created masterpieces. To make a 3D representation of an idea is not an easy task. I can't wait to see it finished. :))

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Aww :oops: It's been a fabulous (and very romantic!) thing to do, and Pricescope was an invaluable aid in helping us get to this stage so happily!

Well, I can't change it now, coz I just got a message to say it's been sent to casting...! I have butterflies in my tummy! - but I know it'll all work out brilliantly. Caren and Dan estimate 7-10 days max for casting, then however long it takes for the finish work. Oh my! :twirl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Mini update: Have changed the metal to 14k rose gold, after the casting company contacted Daniel and Caren to say they'd recommend it due to the instability of 18k rose gold, ie. if prongs need redoing/resizing etc has to happen after the fact. I reckoned it wasn't a big deal: there isn't that much gold visible from the top view anyway, the colour isn't massively different, plus it's cheaper. And I certainly want my prongs to be strong and as stable as possible.

In fact, it made me wonder why I opted for it in the first place...! :shock: :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results