color
clarity

Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in class

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in clas

Tekate|1475033461|4081504 said:
I am not thrilled with my Affordable Care :) but it's better than nothing if I get a catastrophic illness, so far so good.
It is referred to as the not so Affordable Care Act by middle class income families.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate|1475033730|4081507 said:
Dancing Fire|1475032194|4081497 said:
redwood66|1475013371|4081392 said:
T - I don't believe all black people (or any color) are bad either but I won't assume you meant that about me. My comments are directed toward those who commit crimes and I think I have been very upfront about that. I have experienced deep, seething hate from blacks, whites, asians, and hispanics. And these people have no respect for the life of persons or property. That is a choice and it ruins communities. I have immeasurable sympathy for those who live in communities who are law abiding. But I will never have sympathy for those who make the choice to be a criminal and commit acts of violence. My life experience does not make me any more special than anyone else but it does give me an insight that most who post here have not had. If you have seen what I have seen or read the gory details you might understand my POV. But you don't have to and we can still have a respectful discussion as always.

My biggest issue with this whole discussion is that the feds can't fix this. Government cannot legislate the human heart. The communities themselves have to decide that enough is enough. That means the local police, citizens, churches, volunteers, and the like must decide to take control and have an honest discussion. And the media does nothing to help these problems.

Because I am white, none of what I say matters in this discussion anyway.

:wavey:
I am "yellow" and I'd agree with 99% of your posts... :appl: :appl: And now Tekate will accuse me of having "yellow privilege"... :lol:

All I can say about Asians is their culture is one of hard work, believing in success, and pushing their kids (and if you believe some of the idiots in Austin Texas, their kids are cheaters on A/P etc smh). I have mulled over many times DF why blacks don't seem to value education the way many other born here Americans (Wasps etc).. and Asians. Why is it? this is what I could find..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/30/stop-blaming-black-parents-for-underachieving-kids/?utm_term=.742f872f7b1e

Interesting read. Thank you. I need to read the linked studies.

ETA - the comments section of that article is very interesting and lively!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

All I can say about Asians is their culture is one of hard work, believing in success, and pushing their kids (and if you believe some of the idiots in Austin Texas, their kids are cheaters on A/P etc smh). I have mulled over many times DF why blacks don't seem to value education the way many other born here Americans (Wasps etc).. and Asians. Why is it? this is what I could find..
b/c many of the black american kids came from a single mom family w/o even knowing who their father is.

Now, on the other hand Asian parents put so much education pressure on their kids that many have let to suicide.. :(sad b/c he/she didn't accomplish to the level of their parents expectation. These kids felt like they let their parents down by not reaching that upper level of education. Tek, Inside the Asian community it is very common for the parents to compete with other friends to see which of their kids will achieve a higher level of education.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate|1475033985|4081509 said:
I went to college, I went to college on Pell grants and work study paid for by you the taxpayer and I am forever grateful for that, I got my first house with an FHA loan, who subsidized me? you the taxpayer.
Tek, good for you!... :appl: I am all for educating our kids, and I am willing to pay more taxes if it goes to educating our kids no matter of racial backgrounds, but how can we convince black and Hispanic kids to stay in school?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

redwood66|1475034778|4081515 said:
Dancing Fire|1475032194|4081497 said:
redwood66|1475013371|4081392 said:
T - I don't believe all black people (or any color) are bad either but I won't assume you meant that about me. My comments are directed toward those who commit crimes and I think I have been very upfront about that. I have experienced deep, seething hate from blacks, whites, asians, and hispanics. And these people have no respect for the life of persons or property. That is a choice and it ruins communities. I have immeasurable sympathy for those who live in communities who are law abiding. But I will never have sympathy for those who make the choice to be a criminal and commit acts of violence. My life experience does not make me any more special than anyone else but it does give me an insight that most who post here have not had. If you have seen what I have seen or read the gory details you might understand my POV. But you don't have to and we can still have a respectful discussion as always.

My biggest issue with this whole discussion is that the feds can't fix this. Government cannot legislate the human heart. The communities themselves have to decide that enough is enough. That means the local police, citizens, churches, volunteers, and the like must decide to take control and have an honest discussion. And the media does nothing to help these problems.

Because I am white, none of what I say matters in this discussion anyway.

:wavey:
I am "yellow" and I'd agree with 99% of your posts... :appl: :appl: And now Tekate will accuse me of having "yellow privilege"... :lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/30/stop-blaming-black-parents-for-underachieving-kids/?utm_term=.742f872f7b1e

Interesting read. Thank you. I need to read the linked studies.

ETA - the comments section of that article is very interesting and lively!

The comment by this parent speaks volumes

"my children's issues are not necessarily my fault, but they are most assuredly my responsibility."

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock

Tekate said:
I have mulled over many times DF why blacks don't seem to value education the way many other born here Americans (Wasps etc).. and Asians. Why is it? this is what I could find..

That is truly the crux of the issue. A few years ago, I was teaching in a school district which primarily serves inner city youth, many of whom are African American. I worked with the Title 1 program to help struggling students become more successful in the classroom. I worked very hard with my students and I cared deeply. We were required to contact each student's parent/guardian every month to give updates on progress. I can not tell you how many times I would call and receive no answer, no return call or even parents who would answer yet claim not to be themselves so they didn't have to have a conversation about their child. I will never forget being ecstatic with a child's breakthrough and calling home to share and celebrate with the parent who rudely cut me off and informed me that she did not have time to hear about it.

As a district wide training, we once had a speaker talk with us about African American culture. The goal was to help us understand why these kids were largely unmotivated to achieve academically. The speaker was an African American woman with a doctoral degree. I was floored by what she told us that day. We were told that many African Americans simply do not value education. Not only that, many harass and pick on those in their community who are trying to achieve academically. If the parents don't care, the children will not care. If education is not valued, teachers are not respected. If teachers are not respected, students are disrespectful and even combative. She told us that our value systems are just different. Our perceptions are different. Our problems are different. She spoke of African American women who so desperately want to keep a man in their lives that they will offer up their young daughters. What can anyone do to combat such a mentality?

She covered a lot that day and we left feeling like we were fighting a losing battle. What can we do to change mindsets? She didn't have an answer. There isn't one. There is nothing the rest of us can do. It has to start at home. And when home is so flawed?

Was she speaking about every African American? Obviously not. But she was giving us insight as to the mindset of some and, based on my experience as an educator, it is the mindset of way too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

purplesparklies|1475074224|4081629 said:
She covered a lot that day and we left feeling like we were fighting a losing battle. What can we do to change mindsets? She didn't have an answer. There isn't one. There is nothing the rest of us can do. It has to start at home. And when home is so flawed?
Yup, There's nothing a teacher can do if the parents themself does not value education. It has nothing to do with condition of their schools if students aren't willing to learn.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This makes me very sad purplesparklies. The fact that she had no answers or suggestions is disheartening and by the way she explained it to you it seems she (and other educated AAs) have given up? Maybe I read that into your post but if you walked away with such a feeling of dismay then I don't think I am reading wrong. Please correct me if so. If white people say the things she said to you we are immediately labeled as racist so it leads me down the path of giving up also. I do believe that in many poor families with uneducated parent/s this same thing happens to a certain extent regardless of color.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1475078680|4081655 said:
This makes me very sad purplesparklies. The fact that she had no answers or suggestions is disheartening and by the way she explained it to you it seems she (and other educated AAs) have given up? Maybe I read that into your post but if you walked away with such a feeling of dismay then I don't think I am reading wrong. Please correct me if so. If white people say the things she said to you we are immediately labeled as racist so it leads me down the path of giving up also. I do believe that in many poor families with uneducated parent/s this same thing happens to a certain extent regardless of color.

This is why I thought AA who are educated, middle class have got to be role models for kids in their community (yes we are all a part of the community)... when I was working, I worked with a woman (white) who didn't understand Algebra and her husband never went past 9th grade, their daughter struggled, and I mean struggled, they couldn't help her night after night, she finally passed, but if her parents had not gotten her the help she needed she would have flunked (and she was in a charter school in Atown)... it has got to come from the parent(s).. the family, the community, it means we as a community - whichever way one looks at that word - we as a community have got to get drugs off the streets, and have jobs and good schools, and assistance to help these kids move on and up.. it's a huge, huge role and I don't know how it can be done.. I suppose it starts with one person..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

so..he said he wasn't referring to AA but he does say you are 13% of the population, surprise, blacks are 11-14% of the American population, that he EVEN reposted this filth from another cops site is repulsive. He IS the problem. He IS THE BAD GUY.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T- I am not sure who you are referring to?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

The subject refused multiple instructions by the first officer on scene to remove his concealed hand from his pocket," the statement read.

That officer drew his gun, according to the statement.

A second officer arrived on the scene with an electronic stun gun and the man paced while both officers attempted to talk to him.

El Cajon Police Chief Jeff Davis said at a news conference: "At one point the male rapidly drew an object from his front pants pocket, placed both hands together on it and extended it rapidly towards the officer taking what appeared to be a shooting stance, putting the object in the officer's face," El Cajon Police Chief Jeff Davis told reporters.

Above is an excerpt from that shooting. What is a police officer supposed to do in that type of situation - risk getting shot himself?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1475177391|4082107 said:
What is a police officer supposed to do in that type of situation - risk getting shot himself?
Do they not have protocol for 5150s? Why wasn't the PERT brought in? He was shot while he was having a seizure - wtf? How is that appropriate? Does holding your hands a certain way now mean it's ok to kill someone? Does calling for help now equal a death sentence for young black men? That is TWICE in the last week that someone called for help and ended up dead. Why did the cops go confiscate phones from nearby witnesses? There is some shady shit going on, and some shady people trying to cover it up.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

At one point the male rapidly drew an object from his front pants pocket, placed both hands together on it and extended it rapidly towards the officer taking what appeared to be a shooting stance, putting the object in the officer's face.

IMO 5150 or no, if you do the above you are 99.9% likely to be shot no matter your color. The investigation will tell the details.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

telephone89|1475179131|4082129 said:
ruby59|1475177391|4082107 said:
What is a police officer supposed to do in that type of situation - risk getting shot himself?
Do they not have protocol for 5150s? Why wasn't the PERT brought in? He was shot while he was having a seizure - wtf? How is that appropriate? Does holding your hands a certain way now mean it's ok to kill someone? Does calling for help now equal a death sentence for young black men? That is TWICE in the last week that someone called for help and ended up dead. Why did the cops go confiscate phones from nearby witnesses? There is some shady shit going on, and some shady people trying to cover it up.[/quote]

Police said in an update published via Twitter Wednesday night that one witness voluntarily stepped forward to offer cell phone video they'd recorded during the incident. No one was ever instructed to hand over cell phones in the aftermath, according to the update. Immediately after first reports of the shooting, one news organization reported that nearby witnesses had been ordered to hand over their cell phones.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm extremely worried when the person supposed to be protecting me - aka a police officer - cannot tell the difference between an e-sig and a GUN. They don't care about protecting these people. There are too many cops that should not be cops. They obviously can't be bothered to care about someone in medical distress, someone who's family member called them for HELP.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

telephone89|1475181135|4082142 said:
I'm extremely worried when the person supposed to be protecting me - aka a police officer - cannot tell the difference between an e-sig and a GUN. They don't care about protecting these people. There are too many cops that should not be cops. They obviously can't be bothered to care about someone in medical distress, someone who's family member called them for HELP.

I posted this before, I am not exactly pro police. I can tell you that from what I have seen of them they often make a situation worse.

And I wonder if instead of calling the police, who come in loud as they are trained to do, if it had been better if she had called for medical assistance especially if her brother was having a seizure.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1475181457|4082144 said:
I posted this before, I am not exactly pro police. I can tell you that from what I have seen of them they often make a situation worse.

And I wonder if instead of calling the police, who come in loud as they are trained to do, if it had been better if she had called for medical assistance especially if her brother was having a seizure.
Quite possibly, but we are taught when you're in trouble - call 911. I'm unsure if she called the police department specifically, because it does say she called multiple times before anyone showed up. I assume calling 911 would get someone (anyone) there faster, so maybe that was what happened?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No offense but that is called blaming the victim.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

5150 or not ... taking a stance like THIS toward a police officer - who has a split second to determine if it's a gun or an e-cig that a suspected mentally handicapped person is pointing at them - should have EVERYONE taking a step back and piping down on their armchair quarterbacking of police actions until ALL the facts come out. That picture alone presents a very reasonable, clear and imminent threat, IMO.

It is soooo easy to second guess police officers' actions AFTER the fact ... so much 'woulda coulda shoulda' from a bunch of people who have never walked in LEOs shoes. :roll:

alfred-olango1.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoCoJenn|1475237945|4082327 said:
5150 or not ... taking a stance like THIS toward a police officer - who has a split second to determine if it's a gun or an e-cig that a suspected mentally handicapped person is pointing at them - should have EVERYONE taking a step back and piping down on their armchair quarterbacking of police actions until ALL the facts come out. That picture alone presents a very reasonable, clear and imminent threat, IMO.

It is soooo easy to second guess police officers' actions AFTER the fact ... so much 'woulda coulda shoulda' from a bunch of people who have never walked in LEOs shoes. :roll:
The problem is that guns were pulled in the first place on this man who was in a mental health crisis. This probably led this man, who wasn't of sound mind, to imitate the officers with their guns drawn.

An ambulance should have been dispatched. A crisis intervention team (CIT) should have been on the scene. Officers with guns drawn on an unarmed man who was in mental health crisis? No.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

Tekate|1475187299|4082184 said:

No offense but that is called blaming the victim.
Ditto, total victim blaming. Come on people.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Had the situation been just a medical issue, then the emt would have responded. If the poor man were out of control, then it's a police matter This will be investigated, no doubt, and we will know more.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This whole thing is very sad. His mother says he is not mentally ill and has never been mentally ill. If the subject's hands were in his pockets and he would not remove them, then rapidly drew a cylindrical object (vaping device) and pointed it at the officer, that object will look like a gun barrel. In the pic the officer and Olango are no more than 6 feet apart. The investigation will tell what happened. Also it appears the crisis response staff member was on another call and not available.

Interesting info from a study on reaction time.

https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/3705348-New-reaction-time-study-addresses-whats-reasonable-in-armed-suspect-encounters/

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

purplesparklies|1475074224|4081629 said:
Tekate said:
I have mulled over many times DF why blacks don't seem to value education the way many other born here Americans (Wasps etc).. and Asians. Why is it? this is what I could find..

That is truly the crux of the issue. A few years ago, I was teaching in a school district which primarily serves inner city youth, many of whom are African American. I worked with the Title 1 program to help struggling students become more successful in the classroom. I worked very hard with my students and I cared deeply. We were required to contact each student's parent/guardian every month to give updates on progress. I can not tell you how many times I would call and receive no answer, no return call or even parents who would answer yet claim not to be themselves so they didn't have to have a conversation about their child. I will never forget being ecstatic with a child's breakthrough and calling home to share and celebrate with the parent who rudely cut me off and informed me that she did not have time to hear about it.

As a district wide training, we once had a speaker talk with us about African American culture. The goal was to help us understand why these kids were largely unmotivated to achieve academically. The speaker was an African American woman with a doctoral degree. I was floored by what she told us that day. We were told that many African Americans simply do not value education. Not only that, many harass and pick on those in their community who are trying to achieve academically. If the parents don't care, the children will not care. If education is not valued, teachers are not respected. If teachers are not respected, students are disrespectful and even combative. She told us that our value systems are just different. Our perceptions are different. Our problems are different. She spoke of African American women who so desperately want to keep a man in their lives that they will offer up their young daughters. What can anyone do to combat such a mentality?

Was she speaking about every African American? Obviously not. But she was giving us insight as to the mindset of some and, based on my experience as an educator, it is the mindset of way too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to over generalize, but my ex worked in restaurants, and would hang out with the guys (cooks) in the back of the house who were almost always African American. Whether married or not, many had children at a young age whom they were paying child support for (sometimes with different moms). My ex talked to them, and uniformly their story was NOT of parents or their mother encouraging them to get a higher education. Some of the parents were even resentful that a HS education was mandatory, and wanted their child to work as early as possible, in order to contribute financially to the household. So working hard, making money is valued, but an education was seen almost as a hindrance to making money and helping out the family. I think it is sad and short-sighted, and once these guys have kids young and are needing to make as much money as possible, (2 jobs, etc) in order to support their kids, higher education and prospects are out of the picture.

I also thought it was interesting, the back of the house versus the front of the house. The front of the house (wait staff and bartenders) were almost all white young people, who picked and chose their shifts so they could both work and go to school. They could make a lot of money off tips. In contrast the back of the house were minorities, often more full time shifts with less flexibility, making a fixed (but pretty small) amount of money. I'm sure many of the front of the house people made as much or more than the back of the house staff, on less hours. No one had benefits (inc the ft staff) so at least that was all the same.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

part gypsy|1475251854|4082383 said:
I don't want to over generalize, but my ex worked in restaurants, and would hang out with the guys (cooks) in the back of the house who were almost always African American. Whether married or not, many had children at a young age whom they were paying child support for (sometimes with different moms). My ex talked to them, and uniformly their story was NOT of parents or their mother encouraging them to get a higher education. Some of the parents were even resentful that a HS education was mandatory, and wanted their child to work as early as possible, in order to contribute financially to the household. So working hard, making money is valued, but an education was seen almost as a hindrance to making money and helping out the family. I think it is sad and short-sighted, and once these guys have kids young and are needing to make as much money as possible, (2 jobs, etc) in order to support their kids, higher education and prospects are out of the picture.
If this is common with African Americans then why are there so many young unemployed African Americans?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/29/unarmed-black-man-killed-by-police-near-san-diego-had-twice-been-ordered-deported/?utm_term=.09d94e44a6a0

For people questioning why the police took the action they did. Any loss of life is sad and that goes for the policeman and his partner as well. This was a dangerous man.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-third-night-protests-el-cajon-20160930-snap-story.html

And nothing can justify this which is why I did not want it in a school around innocent children.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1475251349|4082379 said:

Good, informative read! Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

House Cat said:
The problem is that guns were pulled in the first place on this man who was in a mental health crisis. This probably led this man, who wasn't of sound mind, to imitate the officers with their guns drawn.

An ambulance should have been dispatched. A crisis intervention team (CIT) should have been on the scene. Officers with guns drawn on an unarmed man who was in mental health crisis? No.

Seeing the video (now available), I think the individual's behavior was reasonably perceivable as a potential danger to the public and police, and warranted police having guns drawn, though one actually had a taser drawn vs a gun, so it's "gun drawn" vs "guns", and that very well may have been the protocol given the suspected mental incapacitation and absence of a mental health professional/crisis intervention team (e.g. "stun if not cooperative, shoot if imminent threat posed"). Also, if I read correctly, the officer who fired his gun was the same officer the individual took the aiming stance on.

And the police do NOT know with 100% certainty that the individual DIDN'T have a gun. People can say whatever they want when reporting an incident. The Charlotte shooting individual's wife said her hubby didn't have a gun, yet low and behold ... he had one, AND a long history of crime & violence, was a felon, wasn't supposed to have a gun, etc. Point = you can't always rely on initial reports ... before AND after an incident.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results