shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for an Oval

Bellebri

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone! I am about two months in to a (light, so far) search for the perfect diamond engagement ring. The purpose of this thread is to gain help and knowledge and also just to kind of log the details this exciting process! I'm already married and this will be an upgrade/anniversary gift that we will purchase before or by the beginning of September. We have a budget of around 7k -8k total, and I would like the majority of that to be on the diamond! I am have two very different ideas that I go back and forth on, with different criteria for both:

Idea #1:
I am picturing an oval diamond, set in a rose gold halo with a delicate plain shank rose gold band. If I go this route, I would like to find an oval diamond that is 1.3 CTS or above (8.5 x 6.5 mm, somewhere in that ball park), anywhere up to I in color, with a clarity of SI2 or better. I love that this a more unique ring, both diamond wise and metal wise. I like the character here.
Inspiration pic:

Idea #2 :

Round Brilliant diamond on a delicate pave shank, white gold. No halo. I would want a 1.5 ct for diamond, J color or better, excellent cut. I love how classic and beautiful round cuts are, excellent cut would be important to me so I would get a ton of sparkle!
Inspiration pic:

So, my very first question : do these specs sound reasonable ? Am I searching for the right qualities?

23cd5614ff58c4d0ac9d24ab408aebfd.jpg

519689906ff8d7f082825175338c1f80.jpg

Bellebri

Rough_Rock
Also, question number 2:. I'm in the NYC area and would like to use a jeweler that has appointment hours so that I can have the option of seeing the diamond in person. A couple jewelers I have in mind:

Enchanted Diamonds

I.D. jewelers

Engagement Rings Direct

Does anyone have any input on any of these guys?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a fun quest!

I am have two very different ideas that I go back and forth on, with different criteria for both:

Wow, these are two very different concepts indeed! I would recommend that you start a separate thread to explore Idea #2, since the thread title for this thread is more in line with Idea #1. Then use the current thread to get assistance finding a good oval and a setting along the lines of what you've described. Once you see how both rings begin to shape up, you can decide to go with one of the two options.

You should also clarify whether you care about having an "eye-clean" center diamond, since SI2 is pushing that boundary.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're on the edge of what your budget will get you (which is fine...we all want to push our budgets as far as they will go right?).
I think you should contact IDJ because they are known for doing surprising well when budgets/specs are tight. I really like
both your ideas. The oval idea just seems so romantic to me. Different from the usual. Of course if you want the most sparkly
then you'll be better off with a well cut round. Tough decision...hopefully Yuketiel (IDJ) can help you figure it out.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Bellebri|1465253376|4040900 said:
Also, question number 2:. I'm in the NYC area and would like to use a jeweler that has appointment hours so that I can have the option of seeing the diamond in person. A couple jewelers I have in mind:

Enchanted Diamonds

I.D. jewelers

Engagement Rings Direct

ERD is now Brilliantly Engaged. I think any of the above would be fine, you may also consider Good Old Gold, or Diamonds by Lauren.

Bellebri

Rough_Rock
drk14|1465253515|4040902 said:
Sounds like a fun quest!

I am have two very different ideas that I go back and forth on, with different criteria for both:

Wow, these are two very different concepts indeed! I would recommend that you start a separate thread to explore Idea #2, since the thread title for this thread is more in line with Idea #1. Then use the current thread to get assistance finding a good oval and a setting along the lines of what you've described. Once you see how both rings begin to shape up, you can decide to go with one of the two options.

You should also clarify whether you care about having an "eye-clean" center diamond, since SI2 is pushing that boundary.

Thank you for the advice, I will do that! I know the ideas are drastically different, and I haven't had the chance yet to try on either style, which I think will probably push me over the edge one direction or another. I'm 9 months pregnant and my fingers are about double their normal size right now lol, so hopefully in about a month I'll ne ready to try some on and see which style suits my finger best. The oval is what I've been dreaming about for quite some time, but once I researched a bit and saw more round cuts, I became infatuated with them as well.
As for eye clean, I'm still a little unsure about that. I think for the oval I wouldn't mind small, barely noticeable inclusions but for the RB I am a bit pickier - I want the perfect stone.

Thank you for your response!

Bellebri

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1465255482|4040913 said:
You're on the edge of what your budget will get you (which is fine...we all want to push our budgets as far as they will go right?).
I think you should contact IDJ because they are known for doing surprising well when budgets/specs are tight. I really like
both your ideas. The oval idea just seems so romantic to me. Different from the usual. Of course if you want the most sparkly
then you'll be better off with a well cut round. Tough decision...hopefully Yuketiel (IDJ) can help you figure it out.

Thanks for the advice! I don't know exactly why or how to explain is consisely, but the sparkle only is a priority with the round cut. For the oval, I don't mind a less than perfect stone ...I'm even tempted to go down color wise, I actually like the look of the warmer, "dirtier" diamonds. The only thing stopping me there is the idea that one day I may want to reset it in white gold - I've read ovals are one of the less forgiving cuts color wise, and I want to have that option open.

Bellebri

Rough_Rock
drk14|1465256010|4040917 said:
Bellebri|1465253376|4040900 said:

Enchanted Diamonds

I.D. jewelers

Engagement Rings Direct

ERD is now Brilliantly Engaged. I think any of the above would be fine, you may also consider Good Old Gold, or Diamonds by Lauren.

Ahh, was wondering why ERD's website had a new name :shock: I will definitely check out good old gold! I've actually been in contact with DBL and they are so pleasant to work with, though I do wonder if their prices on colorless diamonds compare to some of the other companies above

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would use Brilliantly Engaged fir the first. The have a great pave bench-- better than GOG. Make an appointment and go to see them.

For the second I would do IDJ or GOG or BE.

Bellebri

Rough_Rock
Thank you! So for the oval ring you suggest Brilliantly engaged ?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bellebri|1465410221|4041754 said:
Would anyone be willing to weigh in on this stone? I feel like it's a good find but I'm still learning exactly what to look for. For most of the info you have to open the GIA report

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.29-carat-g-si1-very-good-oval-cut-diamond-gid-900625.html

No pictures...so we really cant tell you anything. Fancy cuts (ovals) can not be bought by the numbers. You have to have images
and aset images to check on light return.

James Allen is a good place to look at fancy cut stones because they have images that rotate. They can do aset images if the
stone is in the NY area. If you post your specs/budget Pricescopers can help you look for nice stones.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
I second tyty333's suggestion. To select an oval (or other fancy cut) diamond from an online vendor, you will need to use a vendor that provides videos (James Allen or Ritani) or ASET images (can be requested from James Allen, not sure about Ritani). Alternatively, you can ask Good Old Gold to select 2-3 good ovals from the cutters/dealers that they work with, and they can then provide videos and ASET of those; there is a fee for this service, although I believe the fee is applicable to the purchase price if you do purchase one of the diamonds they pick for you (somebody correct me if I'm wrong, this is based on memory from over a year ago).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results