shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for 2ct RB stone for engagement ring

sky322

Rough_Rock
I've been doing a fair amount of research and I've looked at White flash for now to see if I can comfortably find the following stones. I'm more than welcome to look at other stones, but I don't want to spend a lot more time. I'm having a sense of analysis paralysis here. I'm most likely going to buy online as well

I'm really trying to understand GIA vs AGS as well but i'm getting a headache reading.

Carat 2.0 (ideally)
Cut - Excellent/Ideal
Color- G/H
Clarity - VS2/SI1 min (eye clean)
Price - ~23k

1. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4111351.htm
2.045 ct H SI1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond (AGS)

2. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4159050.htm
2.013 ct H SI1 Expert Selection Round Cut Loose Diamond (AGS)

3. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784278.htm
2.05 ct G VS2 (GIA)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have solid choices here! The difference between gia and AGS is controversial, but here's how I see it:

AGS 000 almost guarantees excellent performance bc the cut grading is strict. Gia xxx guarantees nothing bc the cut grading is lax.

So for a gia xxx you really want advanced images (aset/is) to confirm performance.

In this case, you have 3 stones that all have advanced images and are all backed up by WF and part of their amazing upgrade program.

If I were you, i would ask for pics of all 3 of them in real light (on someone's hand), and see which one you are most drawn to. I think the premium select looks good , and it might be a great deal bc you get G color and vs2 clarity. But you need to let your own eyes decide. None are bad choices at all!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After looking at all 3 I think my eye is most drawn to the expert select. Not entirely sure why. But I wouldn't want to pay the extra 3k+ for a g vs h or for vs2 vs si1 clarity so I think that's part of it.

Now seeing the price differences I probably wouldn't go for the premium select. But everyone is different so G might be more important for you than it would be for me.

sky322

Rough_Rock
I've asked them to take a look at each and see what they think. This will most likely be on a 6 prong solitaire in white gold. I'm debating platinum, but still on the edge there.

Thanks for the responses for far.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A vote for the 2.05 G VS2 - gorgeous stone and you still get the benefit of the upgrade policy with WF!

sky322

Rough_Rock
Of the three you posted, I would choose number two. I don’t like the inclusions on the first one and the GIA is a bit deep and the girdle is thick...spending money for diamond that doesn't show. If I had your budget I’d buy one of these.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10816
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10395

I'm trying to understand the ~3k difference between the GIA one I posted and the 2nd one in your link. Am i fundamentally missing something there outside of the 0.03 difference in size? Is the 2nd one you linked that much better? (Just trying to understand the reasonings there)

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to understand the ~3k difference between the GIA one I posted and the 2nd one in your link. Am i fundamentally missing something there outside of the 0.03 difference in size? Is the 2nd one you linked that much better? (Just trying to understand the reasonings there)

It’s not just the difference in carat weight size, it’s the difference in face up size. 8.05 vs 8.22. It will look larger because carat weight in the GIA stone gets hidden in the girdle and the pavillion where you can’t see it vs in the diameter where it will be noticed. It’s preferable to stay below 62.4 for total depth which that stone exceeds. Personally I would always choose an AGS000 certified diamond over GIA when possible.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not just the difference in carat weight size, it’s the difference in face up size. 8.05 vs 8.22. It will look larger because carat weight in the GIA stone gets hidden in the girdle and the pavillion where you can’t see it vs in the diameter where it will be noticed. It’s preferable to stay below 62.4 for total depth which that stone exceeds. Personally I would always choose an AGS000 certified diamond over GIA when possible.
This

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A vote for the 2.05 G VS2 - gorgeous stone and you still get the benefit of the upgrade policy with WF!

I absolutely love this stone. Higher color and looks very clean. Cut is beautiful. I am a big fan of ACAs, personally, but I couldn't handle the inclusions on that first one. The second one is fine and costs less than the G stone, but it all depends on how much you value that higher color.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that 2.05 G is a really pretty stone. It looks amazing in the video. If you are looking for extra size and its in the budget that H that
@diamondseeker2006 posted is really pretty too. You can ask WF for side-by-side pictures so you can see any size/color difference.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I like the Expert Select - best value of the three and solid proportions.

Even though the ACA is eye clean I personally don't like all those inclusions on the table. The GIA one is nice too but it's deeper at 62.6 and faces smaller than the Expert. I would save the $4.6 grand and go with the expert unless you really value the color (and even then I'd pick one that's less deep for that money).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn't going to be a visible difference between 8.08x8.13 and 8.05x8.08. Those two stones are close enough in diameter to be a pair of stud earrings.

sky322

Rough_Rock
There isn't going to be a visible difference between 8.08x8.13 and 8.05x8.08. Those two stones are close enough in diameter to be a pair of stud earrings.

Just so I'm clear, you're talking about the 2nd one and 3rd one in the original post, right?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the biggest one because I barely see any color difference (upside down I can see if I really look for it, but don't see any difference on the hand). But all are great

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Is the 2.14 new? Didn't see it in the original post... What's the spec / price vs the Expert selection? I will say the H on the 2.14 is slightly better than the Expert, but that won't be noticeable face up.

I'm still leaning toward the Expert selection, looks clean and much better value for your $

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes, the 2.14ct is whiter than the other H. Very close to the G.

sky322

Rough_Rock
Is the 2.14 new? Didn't see it in the original post... What's the spec / price vs the Expert selection? I will say the H on the 2.14 is slightly better than the Expert, but that won't be noticeable face up.

I'm still leaning toward the Expert selection, looks clean and much better value for your $

The H 2.14 was from a poster above, the price difference from that one and the H 2.01 is about 5k difference.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
See the how the deeper GIA stone has the most darkness under the table? That’s in the best possible lighting. I own a deeper stone and in certain lighting it goes dark in the center. It drives me nuts which is why I caution against it.

In this comparison photo I have to say I’d choose the H VS2!

sky322

Rough_Rock
See the how the deeper GIA stone has the most darkness under the table? That’s in the best possible lighting. I own a deeper stone and in certain lighting it goes dark in the center. It drives me nuts which is why I caution against it.

In this comparison photo I have to say I’d choose the H VS2!

I do see that in the photos now that's it's pointed out. I think i'm leaning towards the value play here and use some of the 5k saved to do the setting, etc. H SI1 one. I do see how it needs to be compared from one to another there.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see that in the photos now that's it's pointed out. I think i'm leaning towards the value play here and use some of the 5k saved to do the setting, etc. H SI1 one. I do see how it needs to be compared from one to another there.
Do you know if your SO is color sensitive? The H SI is fairly tinted for an H, if those pictures are accurate.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
The H 2.14 was from a poster above, the price difference from that one and the H 2.01 is about 5k difference.

I see it now. They are both nice stones - not exactly apples to apples at this point, just depends on how much OP is willing to spend.

I personally don't think the upgrade in size is worth the 29% increase in price. I'd still choose the Expert here - best value by far.

Also note the arrows are cleaner on the Expert - there is very little obstruction. The 2.14 showing more obstruction where the arrows meet - especially noticeable between 9-10pm.

sky322

Rough_Rock
Do you know if your SO is color sensitive? The H SI is fairly tinted for an H, if those pictures are accurate.

She knows next to nothing and I think if I get her something 1ct and not perfect, she would still be a fan. I think it's more that I care what I'm giving to her at this point.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results