shape
carat
color
clarity

Search continues for eyes- some new good options...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I think the yellow gold vera want setting wil be just perfect!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
green gold will not show that well on a computer monitor, especially 18k green gold as the color will be subtle. also, it can be different from one goldsmith to another.

some online:

http://www.lattisdesign.com/gallery_pendants.html

http://www.cjlfinejewelry.com/cjlbe_page.html

http://www.curtisjlewis.com/curtis_finejewelcraftpg1.html

and perhaps the best instance: http://urbanmaille.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=26

it is a rich, subtle color difference. perhaps you can call around and find a local jeweler and be able to see it in person. the twist ring would be lovely in green gold.

movie zombie

ps i own nothing set with green gold but plan to remedy that fact. i do, however, have a lovely chain of red gold that i adore. personally, i don''t wear gold unless it is 18k or higher......personal preference re how the gold looks.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
The depth of stone is 10.1mm Is is going to be hard to set? I am trying to imagine how high the ring will need to be?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
at 10.1mm, imo, a custom setting is required.....i believe your stone is deeper than even my spess is.....and it sits really high....and required a custom setting due to depth of stone. however, i don''t have a problem with it but it is set so it won''t catch on anything. but then i was used to very large rings already.

i still think that twisted setting could be custom built to accomodate your stone......

movie zombie

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!!
36.gif

It looks from your photos like the stone looks very different in different lighting. So I like the idea of a very open setting. Let in all the light you can.

Sorry you''ll have to go custom. But I do like the setting you posted.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I have hit a snag because setting is a tad more expensive than i anticipated. While I figure it out- i was hoping for opinions about what direction to set stone. I am posting two options- either North/south running in same direction as my finger... or east/ west in picture 2.

Cat eyes 068.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I like the east-west better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wellllllllllll.... let me tell ya, I''ve polled EVERY vendor on here for custom settings over the last three years.

Whatcha looking for, and how much are you hoping to spend? Maybe I can point in the direction of a few vendors you can get qoutes from.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy- your cat looks just like kismet!!!

I originally wanted to do a really simple copy of vera wangs twisted yellow gold split shank- but tried several PS venders and to custom will be around $900 and that is like twice as much as the gem. i can buy the vera wang ring with a bright yellow quartz for only $600 retail.

Wink is trying to find a setting for me that will be less...

If I love what I love I guess cost does not matter- but with this particular stone what makes it special is RH amazing cut, and the color is darn close to my cat''s eyes. The thing with prasiolite is it doesn''t really sparkle so if I ever found another gem that is close to the right color- and really said WOW WOw WOW, I would spend more for the setting because they stone would probably be more valuable as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Okay I can totally understand what you are saying regarding the 600 complete ring versus a 900 setting. And if Wink find you something more affordable, please let me know, page me, cause I''d love something just like that (in WG) for my Blue Topaz.

But I did want to put one thought out there-- playing devil''s advocate if you will. The ''value'' of that stone IMO, has nothing to do with how much you paid for it, or how much the mineral is worth. It''s in the fact that it''s the same shade as your cats eyes, you love it, and it''s a well cut STUNNING stone. It''s a question of the value of the ring to you as a whole. You want this peice, this ring with the stone that matches your cats eyes, and well... as long as you can afford it, does it really REALLY matter what the setting costs in relation to the stone. When the ring as a whole is the point?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, as for metal color that will best play up the green, I've recently been experimenting on that front because I've been wanting to make my green eyes stand out more. The oft-repeated advice I found was use golds and greens, bot neither of those works for me. They actually make my eyes look darker/browner instead of more vivid like I want. What DOES work is colors in the red family (green's compliment, opposite it on the color wheel). I don't use red eye shadow, but when I use light pinks, plums w/ red undertones....WOW does it make a difference.

If you want to bring out the gold in the stone, or think the reflection of the gold metal may contribute nicely to the natural color, then yellow gold may be the ticket. However, don't rule out white gold! It might be just the ticket because of the contrast effect. Or, hmmmm, I've never seen red gold like zombie mentioned, but I wonder what that would look like......

ETA: I wonder if you could take it to a jeweler and experiment by balancing the stone on different semi-mounts or even just plain bands for the color.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I am going with yellow gold rather than white gold for this one.

The vera wang twisetd concept is most expensive- but i think stone will look just as good in a simple and delicate basket setting- hopefully Wink will find some good options and I will post.

Does anyone know where online I can look as well to help him? The stone is 13.8 x 11.4 x. 10.1 so i thought I HAD to do custom, but Wink thinks maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results