shape
carat
color
clarity

Seam on my handmade ring?

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I have a question regarding a handmade ring that I recently received. I think is made via the lost wax method but when I received it, I noticed that it has a very visible seam down the center. Is this normal? It seems a bit messy to me and not typical of the price point that I paid for the piece. Additionally, the interior of the ring shows that work has been done to it and the seam is less neat on the interior with a weird texture too. I did request for it to be custom sized – I think we agreed on going up a quarter size for comfort due to the width of the ring– but if it is made to order, am I right to assume that this should not present in a seam on the ring? This designer is known for her OOAK textures and I am wondering what options I currently have since those textures were somewhat compromised and I am trying to avoid potentially needing to ask for it to be remade in considering the handmade nature/production window of her pieces. Also, her website shows this ring in a satin finish but I received a more textured finish – My other question is, with the stones having already been set, is it a pain for the ring to be re-finished? Thank you so much. 20200928_105025.jpg 20200928_105031.jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.05.37 AM.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They took an existing band and resized it - and did a shoddy job.

From your description it’s not clear to me if they explicitly indicated that they would be making a new band in your size (vs. sizing existing stock), but either way the workmanship is unacceptable. You are not being unreasonable.

EC8

Shiny_Rock

From your description it’s not clear to me if they explicitly indicated that they would be making a new band in your size (vs. sizing existing stock), but either way the workmanship is unacceptable. You are not being unreasonable.

Completely agree, including that the textured finish does not match original photo.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock

Thank you so much for confirming my suspicions. They had made it seem via our communications that they would be making a new band in my size since the lead time was 2+ weeks for production. I am rather disappointed to hear the opposite is most likely the case. I shall follow up with the company.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Completely agree, including that the textured finish does not match original photo.

Thank you for your response. I am relieved I wasn't the only one confused by what I had received. It's an 18kt gold piece and I have never encountered such rough workmanship on what is supposed to be a fine collector's piece.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I would email the seller and tell them how you feel. Give them a chance to rectify this.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm - yes I hope they take it back and send you a new one.
I have the same type of issue with my ER but I just accepted it. I had it resized down but he didn’t finish it properly afterward. I can see the yellow coming through on the white gold because he didn’t recoat it after the work and there is a clear cuton the inside of the ring. It would bother me if it wasn’t on the inside and if the ring wasn’t as thick as it is.
I had already bought the ring and he wasn’t making any money out of resizing so he half assed it. Surprising really as he made the ring himself.
Not sure how they think we wouldn’t notice? Or how they didn’t notice in the first place?

pps - is it just me or are the sapphires really low set in your ring? I would be worried about crap collecting in there.... maybe just the photos.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Beautiful-disaster about the sizing as well as the setting of the stones. They seem overly deeply set.
Tbh, I think that the average person might not notice or mind. But, because you are here, I assume you are like us, in that we are, shall I say, pretty particular on what standards we expect. You should ask for this whole ring to be “remade” for you as it’s not up to your expectations. And it would not be to mine, and clearly many of us, either. Good luck. It’s got great potential to be a beautifully bold ring!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eyes are effected by the vertigo and i only see the most lovelly ring
im sad this is not the case due to shoddy workmanship

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm - yes I hope they take it back and send you a new one.
I have the same type of issue with my ER but I just accepted it. I had it resized down but he didn’t finish it properly afterward. I can see the yellow coming through on the white gold because he didn’t recoat it after the work and there is a clear cuton the inside of the ring. It would bother me if it wasn’t on the inside and if the ring wasn’t as thick as it is.
I had already bought the ring and he wasn’t making any money out of resizing so he half assed it. Surprising really as he made the ring himself.
Not sure how they think we wouldn’t notice? Or how they didn’t notice in the first place?

pps - is it just me or are the sapphires really low set in your ring? I would be worried about crap collecting in there.... maybe just the photos.

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about your experience with your ER. Yes, I can totally relate; it is very frustrating and disappointing when something like this happens especially since we have to look at the rings on our hands and are reminded of it constantly!

Thank you for pointing out the settings. It's not just you. The sapphires are actually set very low and I have had problems with everyday wear collecting in there. It's funny because this ring was meant to be an effortless everyday wear piece and because of all of its problems – the seam (needing to be conscious of facing it inward), the funny texture (needing to be conscious of bumping into things), the way the stones are set, it's actually more high maintenance than even the more delicate pieces in my collection. *face palm*

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
But, because you are here, I assume you are like us, in that we are, shall I say, pretty particular on what standards we expect.

This is too true! :loopy:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, the ring you received has a different finish to the one in the photo. The one you have has what I would call a rougher texture or “bark” finish whereas the photo is fine texture satin, similar but different.
Perhaps each ring made is unique with its finish?
However the ring you received has been resized. This always interrupts the pattern ie creates a “seam”. Obviously this is disappointing if you didn’t appreciate the effect of resizing the band. If you want a “perfect finish” with a textured ring it needs to be cast in the size required.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results