shape
carat
color
clarity

Scrutenize my stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 11:21:30 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Well done. I bet that diamond is very bright.

I do a lot of spontaneous viewing with my portable IS and ASET and it looks like you got the hang of this rather quickly. You may have had the lip of the IS a bit lower than the girdle of the diamond (flush with the girdle is optimal but not always practical ''on the go''). Great photo skills.

Your image is very close to what DiamCalc projects for those measurements. The computer image assumes perfect optical symmetry and has slightly lighter colors; nothing to worry about. Nice work and a nice find.
I actually cheated when taking the picture, I forgot to mention that I also had the Ideal Light!! I was using the 6X beginner Ideal Scope, wish I had the expert 10X version, but the 6X was the only one available locally.

When I first typed the dimensions, I remembered the measurements incorrectly, the correct measurements are:

7.08 - 7.16 x 4.32 mm

I was off by .01 mm for each of them. Would you mind creating a DiamCalc with these measurements? I don''t think they would make that much of a difference. Thank you for the DiamCalc pic!

I did have my reservations initially and was stressing out because of the not so great HCA score, but boy did I feel a huge weight lifted off my back once I had the Ideal Scope to look through while I was at the jeweller.

With the Ideal Scope, it makes qualifying a diamond so much easier. When I was first started diamond shopping, all I had to go buy was the 4 C''s listed on the certs and how sparkly one looked versus another. Then when I went to the next place, I had to try and recall "How sparkly was the other places''s one?" compared to this one in front of me.

Again, I will be getting a Sarin report this Friday, and hope the dimensions from the report would give a more accurate HCA score.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 11:49:17 PM
Author: ryusrock

I actually cheated when taking the picture, I forgot to mention that I also had the Ideal Light!! I was using the 6X beginner Ideal Scope, wish I had the expert 10X version, but the 6X was the only one available locally.

When I first typed the dimensions, I remembered the measurements incorrectly, the correct measurements are:

7.08 - 7.16 x 4.32 mm

I was off by .01 mm for each of them. Would you mind creating a DiamCalc with these measurements? I don't think they would make that much of a difference. Thank you for the DiamCalc pic!

I did have my reservations initially and was stressing out because of the not so great HCA score, but boy did I feel a huge weight lifted off my back once I had the Ideal Scope to look through while I was at the jeweller.

With the Ideal Scope, it makes qualifying a diamond so much easier. When I was first started diamond shopping, all I had to go buy was the 4 C's listed on the certs and how sparkly one looked versus another. Then when I went to the next place, I had to try and recall 'How sparkly was the other places's one?' compared to this one in front of me.

Again, I will be getting a Sarin report this Friday, and hope the dimensions from the report would give a more accurate HCA score.
The IS should be standard equipment. I could tell you had the ideal-light (unless you had drilled a culet hole in the jeweler's display glass
6.gif
); the lip of the IS was a bit lower than the girdle. For future reference, if you have the ability to manually set a longer exposure you'll get a lighter hue and a bit more detail.

The .01 mm adjustment makes no difference in the DiamCalc image and the Sarin will only refine the angle measurements by a tiny bit, if at all. The max difference would be 41.3/34.7 which would be HCA 3.something. Strm identified the issue; the HCA is just tough on pavilions 41+ and is in the process of being revised... The HCA score is like a verbal description of a blind date. The Ideal-Scope is like having a picture of her. Seeing the diamond in-person is like actually going on the date. Don't worry about the HCA anymore, how was the date?
2.gif

Now that you've met and like this diamond be sure to look at it in numerous lighting conditions. Also, take it around and compare it to the others you liked in those other places, assuming the seller gives you a bit of a return period. Use your ideal-scope to compare them as well. And, like dating...have fun and enjoy the process!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great, well done with the Idealscope image!

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
That was a great analogy about the blind date. In my case, my jeweller gave me the GIA cert #, which I obtained the virtual report, I was happy with the specs and left a deposit with him. That was 2 weeks ago, before I found Pricescope. When the diamond was ordered, I then found out about HCA and Ideal scope.

If I knew what I did now back then, I probably would not have left the deposit for that diamond based on the HCA score. But this instance, the diamond did turn out beautiful under the Ideal Scope, which is why I''m so relieved. I think HCA is excellent for weeding out bad candidates to save you a lot of time and energy initially.

Thank you everyone again, for a purchase of something so small, it can be a very stressful/emotional time, mainly because the purchase price costs you an arm and 2 legs! Thats a good chunk of money that could of been spent on other things, towards your mortgage, down payment for a new car....etc. At the end of the day, I know my gf deserves it.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 11:21:30 PM

Well done. I bet that diamond is very bright.

I do a lot of spontaneous viewing with my portable IS and ASET and it looks like you got the hang of this rather quickly. You may have had the lip of the IS a bit lower than the girdle of the diamond (flush with the girdle is optimal but not always practical ''on the go''). Great photo skills.

Your image is very close to what DiamCalc projects for those measurements. The computer image assumes perfect optical symmetry and has slightly lighter colors; nothing to worry about. Nice work and a nice find.
Hi John, would you mind creating a Diamcalc file, I''d like to know the Gemadvisor results with my updated specs from my Sarin report.

Sarin:

1.32ct

Diameter 7.105mm
Total Depth 60.8% 4.32mm
Crown height 14.4% 1.02mm
Crown Angle 33.5
Table diameter 58% 4.14mm
Pavillion depth 43.9% 3.12mm
Pavillioin Angle 41.3

Girdle medium

Thank you

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2007 3:08:59 AM
Author: ryusrock

Hi John, would you mind creating a Diamcalc file, I''d like to know the Gemadvisor results with my updated specs from my Sarin report.

Sarin:

1.32ct

Diameter 7.105mm
Total Depth 60.8% 4.32mm
Crown height 14.4% 1.02mm
Crown Angle 33.5
Table diameter 58% 4.14mm
Pavillion depth 43.9% 3.12mm
Pavillioin Angle 41.3

Girdle medium

Thank you
I can, but it''s nearly identical to what you had before.

One fuzzy area: The table size and crown angle you''ve given result in a crown height of 13.9%, but the measurements above list it as 14.4%. Also, with this model you gave only an average diameter where before I was using two diameter measurements.

Just FYI...all of this is only of a dot-by-dot drawing of something you''re seeing in real life. Even a full 3D scan would be subject to slight differences.

ryusexample1.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2007 4:13:01 PM

Just FYI...all of this is only of a dot-by-dot drawing of something you're seeing in real life. Even a full 3D scan would be subject to slight differences.
Continuing that thought... Using only the basic numbers above, a round brilliant could still have all of the extreme looks below - and many others - depending on minor facet measurements, degree of optical symmetry, brillianteering, girdle wave etc etc.

I had an actual ideal-scope photo of your diamond to go by on page 1. That's why I went ahead and generated my simulation. Still, it is 'at best' a freehand sketch of the real deal, so don't read too much into it.
1.gif

Hope this is helpful.

ryusexamples2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results