shape
carat
color
clarity

Scrutenize my stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone

I have ordered the "perfect" (to me) for my plan to propose to my gf. I''d like to know what you think of the specs as I have not received it yet:

GIA Certified

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.07 - 7.15 x 4.33 mm
Carat Weight: 1.32
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 60.7 %
Table: 58 %
Crown Angle: 34°
Crown Height: 14 %
Pavilion Angle: 41.4°
Pavilion Depth: 44 %
Star length: 50 %
Lower Half: 80 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Thanks for your time!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Could you return it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Does the vendor have any additional cut info such as an Idealscope image and or a Sarin report? I think this info would be beneficial. Also I take it that an E VVS is important to you and you don't wish to go for lower colour and clarity?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:18:01 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Could you return it?
why?
there is nothing there that screams return it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Holloway Cut Advisor (read under knowledge tutorials at top of this page) is giving this diamond a poor score
of 4.6. It is advisable to stay under 2 for well performing stones along with other criteria.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:31:04 PM
Author: Pyramid
The Holloway Cut Advisor (read under knowledge tutorials at top of this page) is giving this diamond a poor score
of 4.6. It is advisable to stay under 2 for well performing stones along with other criteria.
not accurate in this case its getting slamed for the pavilion angle.
given the depth its on the smaller side of the gia averages and likely has little too no table leakage and none thats 2 eye visible. Even if its on the outer edges of the gia average there is small table leakage and not 2 eye visible.
With decent symmetry it could be a very very nice stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2007 2:36:07 PM
Author: strmrdr

given the depth its on the smaller side of the gia averages and likely has little too no table leakage and none thats 2 eye visible. Even if its on the outer edges of the gia average there is small table leakage and not 2 eye visible.

Ditto, thats why more info such as IS/ Sarin could be useful.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:42:55 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/27/2007 2:36:07 PM

Ditto, thats why more info such as IS/ Sarin could be useful.
yep your right.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
I''ve checked the Hollaway scope advisor as well. But on paper, the specs seem very nice. If this stone is cut to "GIA EXCELLENT" grade, wouldn''t that signify the proportions are very ideal?? In turn, shouldn''t the brilliance of the stone be excellent as well??

I have not received the stone yet, but will shortly. How accrate accurate is the Holloway cut advisor anyways?

I''m assuming it''s still possible to have all EXCELLENT specs on paper but not really look nice?

I''m just very worried because I want a stone with good specs and in that size, and it took me a very long time to find something like that.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:24:44 PM

Could you return it?
why?

Hi strm...

I always like to know if the purchase is a "done deal" or not, because for better or worse it tends to affect the "tone" of my posts.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 3:04:37 PM

Date: 4/27/2007 2:24:44 PM

Could you return it?
why?

Hi strm...

I always like to know if the purchase is a ''done deal'' or not, because for better or worse it tends to affect the ''tone'' of my posts.
sorry I took your post the wrong way.....
I apologize.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:49:32 PM
Author: ryusrock
I''ve checked the Hollaway scope advisor as well. But on paper, the specs seem very nice. If this stone is cut to ''GIA EXCELLENT'' grade, wouldn''t that signify the proportions are very ideal?? In turn, shouldn''t the brilliance of the stone be excellent as well??

I have not received the stone yet, but will shortly. How accrate accurate is the Holloway cut advisor anyways?

I''m assuming it''s still possible to have all EXCELLENT specs on paper but not really look nice?

I''m just very worried because I want a stone with good specs and in that size, and it took me a very long time to find something like that.
As long as the optical symmetry is decent it should be a very nice diamond.
The hca as good as it is sometimes is too harsh on pavilion angles over 41 degrees.
In this case the pavilion angle is pretty well matched by the crown angle within the gia rounding of the numbers that it should be very nice.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have any pictures or ideal scope images from the vendor? This would really help evaluate the stone.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
My local jeweller sourced the diamond out for me, when I receive it I will be bringing the stone to a gemmologist to re-certify, making sure it matches the specs on the GIA report.

The agreement with my jeweller was that if the stone does not match the GIA Report, he'll give me my money back. Now if the stone just doesn't look good, I think I should be able to return it as well, since it is quite a bit of money.

Could a GIA EXCELLENT graded stone really look that bad? I'm getting worried.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 3:13:27 PM

Could an GIA EXCELLENT graded stone really look that bad? I''m getting worried.
unfortunaly yes, in this case odds are it isnt in my opinion, there isnt enough info too hit the panic button yet.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 3:13:14 PM
The hca as good as it is sometimes is too harsh on pavilion angles over 41 degrees.
In this case the pavilion angle is pretty well matched by the crown angle within the gia rounding of the numbers that it should be very nice.

I think the optical symmetry should be good since it's stated as Excellent in the GIA report.

What tests should I ask the gemmologist to perform:
Brilliancescope?
Imagescope?
Idealscope?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 3:20:07 PM

Date: 4/27/2007 3:13:14 PM

I think the optical symmetry should be good since it''s stated as Excellent in the GIA report.

What tests should I ask the gemmologist to perform:

Brilliancescope?
Imagescope?
Idealscope?
GIA doesnt rate optical symmetry....
an ideal-scope or aset would settle it right away ask if he has one.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 3:21:53 PM
You''re right, its only cut symmetry, not optical symmetry.

I''ll ask for those tests when I see the gemmologist.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2007 3:28:39 PM

Date: 4/27/2007 3:21:53 PM
You''re right, its only cut symmetry, not optical symmetry.

I''ll ask for those tests when I see the gemmologist.
Like we said at the beginning of the thread, an Idealscope image would be very useful. Let us know how you get on.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey all...I was reading this thread and wondered if a Sarin and/or Idealscope are useful and/or appropriate for the older cuts (OMC, OEC & Transitionals), or only for modern cut round brilliants? Any thoughts??

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
The gemmologist that I''ll be going to provides a Sarin report, but not Ideal-Scope. Can a Sarin report tell you about the brilliance/light performance of a stone?

I''m from the Toronto Canada area, could anyone reccomend a gemmologist who could perform an Ideal-Scope or other light performance test for brilliance.

Thanks again.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
So my stone has arrived at the jeweller, I''ll be seeing it this afternoon. I''ve also purchased an Ideal Scope 2 days ago and will be bringing it with me.

Since this stone scored a 4.6 on HCA, if it looks good under the Ideal Scope, should I go through with it?

If I do, I would pay for the stone, take it to a gemmologist on Friday (made an appointment) to have a Sarin report made.

I guess I''m just worried because of the not so great HCA score, aside from the Excellent specs.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 12:47:10 PM
So my stone has arrived at the jeweller, I'll be seeing it this afternoon. I've also purchased an Ideal Scope 2 days ago and will be bringing it with me.

Since this stone scored a 4.6 on HCA, if it looks good under the Ideal Scope, should I go through with it?

If I do, I would pay for the stone, take it to a gemmologist on Friday (made an appointment) to have a Sarin report made.

I guess I'm just worried because of the not so great HCA score, aside from the Excellent specs.
if the IS looks good and you like the looks of it then Id have the appraiser check it out.
Talk to the jeweler about the return policy if you do that,,,,

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let''s see the IS image already, hard to say anything without it! LOL.

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
I just came back from the jeweller, here is an Ideal Scope picture I''ve taken.

I have payed for the diamond, and will bring it to the gemmologist on Friday to do a Sarin report to make sure it matches the GIA certificate and dimensions, if they do not, I can get my money back.

In person, it did look very good, when I checked it with my Ideal Scope, it looks like it falles between Excellent and Very Good of the Ideal Scope reference chart, thats why I decided to take it.

This stone did not score well on HCA, based on the GIA dimensions (with the dimensions rounded), but it did look good with the Ideal Scope.

I really appreciate all the feedback people have given me, please let me know what you think of the IS picture.

adadfafa1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
IS looks like the low end of exellent to me with just a hint of leakage.
If you like the looks of the stone I think your good too go.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The image looks fine, VG-EX sounds about right. It shows very little leakage with a tiny amount under the table and I wouldn''t discourage someone from buying the stone with an image like this. Ditto what storm said, if you like the stone go for it!

ryusrock

Rough_Rock
So the Ideal Scope image looks good, should I be worried since the HCA score was not that good?

Of do you think the HCA score is due to the rounded GIA dimensions?

There should be some correlation to HCA and IS.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You took that IS? Good job. Stone looks nice, too.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 7:32:33 PM
I just came back from the jeweller, here is an Ideal Scope picture I've taken.

I have payed for the diamond, and will bring it to the gemmologist on Friday to do a Sarin report to make sure it matches the GIA certificate and dimensions, if they do not, I can get my money back.

In person, it did look very good, when I checked it with my Ideal Scope, it looks like it falles between Excellent and Very Good of the Ideal Scope reference chart, thats why I decided to take it.

This stone did not score well on HCA, based on the GIA dimensions (with the dimensions rounded), but it did look good with the Ideal Scope.

I really appreciate all the feedback people have given me, please let me know what you think of the IS picture.
Well done. I bet that diamond is very bright.

I do a lot of spontaneous viewing with my portable IS and ASET and it looks like you got the hang of this rather quickly. You may have had the lip of the IS a bit lower than the girdle of the diamond (flush with the girdle is optimal but not always practical 'on the go'). Great photo skills.

Your image is very close to what DiamCalc projects for those measurements. The computer image assumes perfect optical symmetry and has slightly lighter colors; nothing to worry about. Nice work and a nice find.

ryusgraphic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results