shape
carat
color
clarity

Scarlett J’s brown diamond ering

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Words cannot accurately express my feelings toward this ring LOL. So I have nothing to add. ;-)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the stone a lot. The setting reminds me of a slug though....
I'll have to recommend it to my daughter, a UC Santa Cruz Banana Slug :)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...me&selectedindex=10&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

th

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the stone, the setting.... I really am not a fan. But I don't have to wear it. :whistle:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are we seeing a pendulum swing, back away from the delicacy and refinement of Edwardian platinum and more toward jewels which express substantial, strong personality.... dare I say it, Defiance, Power and/or Authority? Taffin and Hemmerle both embody the ‘next level’ look of boldness.

I think Henri Dunay deserves partial credit too (see pic below). Dunay just never broke through to being ‘cool’ in the same way. It seems like Dunay gave equal balance to the setting and the stone, and typically took the pieces very seriously. They’re about being lush. Not terribly inspiring.
0860DA49-5A1E-4ED4-973C-093D6C6FF973.jpeg
In contrast, Taffin and Hemmerle seem to put more importance on the stone, and create the setting to be less visually weighted. Lighter, more irreverent, and possibly even temporary. What could be cooler than having a Pop Art painting casually tilted up against a wall of ‘serious’ landscape art? I mean, the finery that fills mansions can be so stuffy, right? These Taffin ceramic pieces remind me of the work of Michael Craig-Martin at Chatsworth.
E4734AEC-D5B7-418F-9720-5F37ED16E2AA.jpeg
(Edited to add another comment: it might be interesting to consider that maybe, being so accustomed for so long to a state of extreme wealth could cause a level of boredom only cured by eccentricity in expression. Perhaps the best adjective to describe Taffin’s style is Eccentric!)

ps - please someone just holler when Art Nouveau becomes trendy again in the cycle of fashion! Maybe then I can have ten minutes of being cool. Please. I’m begging. Just, like, I mean, ten minutes.
pps - Yeah. Ok. I know. Not gonna happen. (sigh)
Agree and +1, I like it for it’s quirkinesses! Not for me personally, but then again if I have that kind of budget I might just go for it.

What exactly is a type 2A stone?

voce

Ideal_Rock
With that kind of budget, I'd rather go for a 5-ct ruby. The stone looks very meh to me. If I want brown, I would want a chocolate rich brown and halo with green or red.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those prongs don’t look secure at all. It’s just disturbing! :shock:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her first two e-rings were rather boring, so at least this is a change of pace.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
0B5C150D-0C63-4F84-A25E-56AE51EEAA72.jpeg 7AFBDF72-7CA7-4E0E-9CDC-7673E0CB9B4A.jpeg
i wanted to post because it’s an FCD, and a more inexpensive color. It was $400K, and 11 carats. What do you think? Will brown diamonds go up in value because of this now? It looks like a straight yellowish brown which is the least expensive of all brown diamonds.
ugly setting
ive seen brown/chocolate and Champaign diamond jewlery thats beautiful
that is just butt ugly OMHO
i love the actual stone
its funny how these traditionally 'lets say underappreciated' colours have been promoted by the diamond companies as highly desirable because some mine in western Australia had lots of them - or so ive read on buzz feed !!!
the ones ive seen have been priced out of my reach
anyway i still want one but in a more traditional setting

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly is a type 2A stone?
I think they mean it is a Type IIa stone, therefore have very few Nitrogen Vacancies or other Vacancies within the crystal structure, if my limited understanding is correct!

They are quite rare in nature AIUI, something like under 2% of all stones?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, hell yeah, I would! :lol: A bright white halo can make anything pop. :lol-2:

Yes I think that is all this stone needs to bring out its beauty. A gorgeous bright white halo around it. Would do wonders for it IMO.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they mean it is a Type IIa stone, therefore have very few Nitrogen Vacancies or other Vacancies within the crystal structure, if my limited understanding is correct!

thanks for that info

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good part is, now brown diamonds will be in fashion ;-)

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ah thank you. Is this something one can see? Or a mind thing?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah thank you. Is this something one can see? Or a mind thing?
I believe there is some discussion around Type IIa seeming 'clearer' but I think I might also be confusing things... lol

The GIA site should have something on it!

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I think it's butt ugly to be honest. It's too big on her tiny finger, the setting is weird, and the color is just meh...but I'm not the one who has to wear it. All that matters is that she likes it.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Type IIa diamonds are free from nitrogen or hydrogen. They are transparent for SW UV ( diamond spotter but you can easily build your own with a piece of scheelite, a SWUV lamp and an not transparent box - put the lamp in the box, turn it on and put the diamond on a little hole in the box - put the scheelite above the diamond and if the scheelite glows blue it is a IIa - Ia or Ib and the scheelite will be inert). Protect always your eyes using UV light.

Plastic deformation is responsilbe for most brown diamonds - the rare IIa can be „repaired“ by HPHT and transformed in colorless diamond.

The Argyle diamonds are mostly Ia with different nitrogen content - often IaA<B.

There is a fantastic article about the pink diamonds in GIA Winter 2018 - free download!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results