shape
carat
color
clarity

Scariest thing you’ve found in your house

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had that problem last year. They came from a Navajo rug that DH's mother gave us. OMG it was never ending. I cleaned, vacuumed, cleaned,vacuumed.
I threw out every bit of wool in the house. All my favorite sweaters, even the cashmere. Everything was ok over the winter, and now I am starting to see them again. I know what their cocoons look like, and I know what their tiny eggs look like. I know all about their life cycle.
I thought I removed all food sources. But I know that they like cat hair. And we have a cat. Are we doomed??
The internet doesn't provide any magic bullet.
PLEASE tell me how you got rid of them?????

i liked the tunnel web spider much more

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hate squirrels. Like hate and am scared of them. I don’t know why.

I have always owned dogs - mainly beagles. Beagles like to bring you presents. About 10 years ago one of my dogs brought me a “present” - yes, you guessed it! A dead squirrel. I am not normally squeamish. But I couldn’t deal with the dead squirrel. recently divorced, I had my brother come over and dispose of it for me. I still shudder thinking about it.

that’s probably, for me, the worst thing!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two summers ago we had a coral snake (most venomous snake in the US) 0_20180921_085544.jpg in the living room! My husband vacuumed it up with a shop vac. I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

OMG no. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds I have an alligator story but no picture.

One Sunday morning two young girls knocked on the door and told my husband that there was an alligator by the lake and it was struggling. DH went out to see it and there was an 8 ft gator tied to our tree on the bank. Neighbors started gathering and wanted to call animal control. DH got very anxious and got a knife and cut the rope. The gator swam off and was ok, thank goodness. You do not want animal control to see a gator tied up on your property. It is highly illegal and you could get in big trouble, not to mention completely cruel! :naughty:

So, how did it get there?

Our neighbors teenage daughter had a crazy redneck boyfriend who liked to catch gators. He had caught it to impress her :-oand tied it up on our property! He was so stupid that he didn't even get the right lot! My neighbors were so upset; we were upset. It was a huge drama. Needless to say when the boyfriend went off to college in Georgia, no one missed him a bit!

ETA these are all pretty common sites in my neighborhood!

0_20190404_143833.jpg IMG1810859074234443916.jpg 0_20190513_103158.jpg 0_20190925_083113.jpg

Attachments

• 0_20190404_143833.jpg
    0_20190404_143833.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Mine is not critter related. The scariest thing I found in my home was years ago during my divorce, I found that my ex had placed a listening device in my home to spy on me. I also learned that during the same time period he hired a private investigator to spy on me and follow me around. He was an abusive husband and it gave me the creeps and scared me so much. It backfired and he was punished by the judge for it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bat flying around my bedroom woke me out of a sound sleep. I’m pretty fearless about animals and like them all, but it really freaked me out. It looked enormous.
I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom in a panic. I waited a few minutes then ran downstairs and googled bats. I learned you could be bitten in your sleep and not know it. Paranoia followed. I finally got my camping tent out of the closet, set it up in the living room and went back to sleep in it
The next morning I cautiously went upstairs wearing a hoodie and to my amazement there was the bat...
Looking like a tiny brown mouse hanging off the bottom of the smoke alarm. I opened the windows and the next time I checked he had removed himself from the situation.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ stracci2000 Have you tried Trichogramma evanescens against the moths?

My sister bought a new very pricey sofa. A year or two later they had moths. They searched high and low and it turned out that the nest was in the new sofa. They treated with poison, but apparently the eggs can survive that. They are not visible by the naked eye. Not to toss or complete fume the new sofa with potentially harmful substances ( they had a newborn) they tried Trichogramma evanescens. It's an insect whose larvae feed off of the moth (forgot if larvae or eggs) and then disappeare themselves without any trace. Eco friendly and health friendly. It sounded super gross to me, though. But my sister just received cards with non eye visible eggs that she put right were the supposed nest was. She never saw a single insect or moth.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we used them. Last year we bought some at the hardware store, and we caught quite a few. Time to get new ones. We did everything short of calling an exterminator.
I guess I better get off the computer and go vacuum the steps again.......
Maybe this year, now that I know where to look for them, and remove all food sources, I can stay on top of it.
I even thought about shaving the cat.:evil:

We had this problem a couple of years back when we had an exterminator. He sprayed our closet once and that took care of it.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, i forgot. One time, one of these flew into our house. They don’t really sting people. They sting TARANTULAS. We didn’t know that and thought we were going to die for sure. It took about ten minutes to get it out of the house. My son was a baby at the time, btw. I felt like i was fighting for his life..LOL. Meet, the Tarantula Hawk.

A351479A-99B4-4EBF-A098-DF0E004EF96D.jpeg F6BE0E98-8B2E-4F59-80AC-5C71E6C9B300.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, i forgot. One time, one of these flew into our house. They don’t really sting people. They sting TARANTULAS. We didn’t know that and thought we were going to die for sure. It took about ten minutes to get it out of the house. My son was a baby at the time, btw. I felt like i was fighting for his life..LOL. Meet, the Tarantula Hawk.

A351479A-99B4-4EBF-A098-DF0E004EF96D.jpeg F6BE0E98-8B2E-4F59-80AC-5C71E6C9B300.jpeg

WOW. I never heard of this creature. Beautiful but terrifying to this bug a phobic individual. Still beautiful from afar. Just don't get close to me please. :eek2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My sister bought a new very pricey sofa. A year or two later they had moths. They searched high and low and it turned out that the nest was in the new sofa. They treated with poison, but apparently the eggs can survive that. They are not visible by the naked eye. Not to toss or complete fume the new sofa with potentially harmful substances ( they had a newborn) they tried Trichogramma evanescens. It's an insect whose larvae feed off of the moth (forgot if larvae or eggs) and then disappeare themselves without any trace. Eco friendly and health friendly. It sounded super gross to me, though. But my sister just received cards with non eye visible eggs that she put right were the supposed nest was. She never saw a single insect or moth.

Wow that is amazing. Do you know if it is available in the USA?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is not critter related. The scariest thing I found in my home was years ago during my divorce, I found that my ex had placed a listening device in my home to spy on me. I also learned that during the same time period he hired a private investigator to spy on me and follow me around. He was an abusive husband and it gave me the creeps and scared me so much. It backfired and he was punished by the judge for it.

That is terrifying thing. I am glad he was punished for it and I am very sorry you went through that. Glad it is over for you. What a horrible experience.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh I am so glad I don't live where any of these creatures do. We don't really have snakes and spiders are usually harmless unless it's a hobo.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven't had anything really other than a bat at our front door, but these snake stories terrify me. My daughter lives in the middle of nowhere in AZ. I would love to be closer to her, but the snakes... She hasn't had one yet in her house but they have had tarrantulas. They put sticky paper under the sofas and beds. That is too much for me.

I just read about a lady on FB who had a snake in her sewing room. It was in an out building and her sewing room was super cluttered. I would be lighting a match..

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing too bad....last summer, there was a huge, brown bear which was living somewhere on our property. I saw it twice....it ate from our fruit and veggie garden. I’m wondering if it is still around! mostly we have centipedes, black widows...and then Cheski catches these enormous wood rats, they live outside, but she brings them in. I’m asking her to get more gophers. My son found this centipede in his bed!!!
0A84ED25-AB35-49EC-BE7F-BED2C2EAF386.jpeg 406700C9-A413-40E8-A7AB-09DADDEA90F9.jpeg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: Boy do I feel like a great big wuss stressing over house spiders when I see all your pics! :oops2:

images.jpeg-2.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, I have been all over the internet this last year looking for advice, and this is the first time I have heard of this. I see it is available online. I will check it out!
Anyone want a big gray cat that deposits hair everwhere?:devil:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I have been all over the internet this last year looking for advice, and this is the first time I have heard of this. I see it is available online. I will check it out!
Anyone want a big gray cat that deposits hair everwhere?:devil:

I'll trade you...a big orange and white cat for your big gray cat. :devil:

oliverstretchedout.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...still no gator or croc stories :(2
;)2

I live in a usually quiet Bay accept for the Kitesurfers that all come over here to Kite surf.... One day they are all standing around pointing to the water, my husband walks across the road and says whats going on? Turns out there was a massive shark out the front of where we live. It's fairly shallow until you get out way further so we never get sharks....

Cue "Jaws" music.

I said to my husband I think I like and want to adopt the big shark, he or she was a lot quieter than the kite surfers.....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of these photos are absolutely stomach-turning!!

The worst for me was once when I lived in Australia, in a house that bordered a large national park. There was a spare lot next to us and people had bought it and were building a house. It was summer, and churning up the soil in Australia while bordering a large undeveloped bush area is beggingfor trouble.

One day I was cleaning and I thought - I should probably dust the ceiling forcobwebs (a LOT of spiders where I lived at that time - and in Australia in general). When I got to the living room, I saw, high up in the corner of the room where I had exposed beams and wood ceilings, a mass of cobwebs that was clearly a nest. I couldn't just leave it there, so I sprayed it comprehensively, and a bunch of reb-back spiders (potentially deadly) started running out. For about 10 minutes there were red-back spiders everywhere, but I got them all squared away in the end. I also went outside to the external space that bordered this part of indoors, and found a much larger next there. They'd obviously built their nest outside, then somehow found cracks of holes of some sort to put on 'an internal extension'!

Redback spider.jpeg

Later that day, I was in my bathroom - large - white floor so every mark showed up (PSA by the way - never do a plain white bathroom floor) - and a large, skinny spider went crawling past; a huge white tailed spider. Altho not generally fatal (unless you have an allergic reaction), these spiders HURT due to their large fangs and you'll have a pretty nasty skin reaction.

White tail spider.jpeg

Late that afternoon, a friend of mine was over to watch coffee and a movie. We went into my family room and saw something VERY large and black crawling across the floor; a funnel web. These spiders ARE deadly, tho Australia has had a venom for many years now.

Funnel web.jpeg

So all in all, a very spidery kind of day.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing too bad....last summer, there was a huge, brown bear which was living somewhere on our property. I saw it twice....it ate from our fruit and veggie garden. I’m wondering if it is still around! mostly we have centipedes, black widows...and then Cheski catches these enormous wood rats, they live outside, but she brings them in. I’m asking her to get more gophers. My son found this centipede in his bed!!!
0A84ED25-AB35-49EC-BE7F-BED2C2EAF386.jpeg 406700C9-A413-40E8-A7AB-09DADDEA90F9.jpeg

:-o:-o:shock::shock::eek-2::eek-2::eek-2::eek-2::eek-2::eek-2::eek-2::eek-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results