shape
carat
color
clarity

Scariest thing you’ve found in your house

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the scariest thing you’ve ever found in any of your homes? We have found several of these house centipedes. I actually like bugs. Spiders are beautiful to me. With these things, i can’t. I can’t wait for the days when I can trust an exterminator to be in my home again.
C181E377-78CC-4260-8AB4-BB42150C30EE.jpeg

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
OMG same!!!
When I saw the title, that was exactly what I was going to post.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG same!!!
When I saw the title, that was exactly what I was going to post.
I’m so sorry you have to endure these creatures too. My friend suggested letting my cat get to them. Considering, she’s running around the house and so are they, she must be terrified of them too!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two summers ago we had a coral snake (most venomous snake in the US) 0_20180921_085544.jpg in the living room! My husband vacuumed it up with a shop vac. I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two summers ago we had a coral snake (most venomous snake in the US) 0_20180921_085544.jpg in the living room! My husband vacuumed it up with a shop vac. I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

I just did!:-o

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG
My heart is racing, just THINKING about that.
What part of the country to you live in?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG
My heart is racing, just THINKING about that.
What part of the country to you live in?

Houston suburbs. My heart still races when I think about it!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ringworm hands down the scariest thing we ever found in our house. The invisible enemy. :errrr:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No way!! I love my centipedes now!! I will make one a pet and name him.

In the living room, how did it get there??

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ringworm hands down the scariest thing we ever found in our house. The invisible enemy. :errrr:

I completely understand, Missy. What a terrible ordeal!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat I had an infestation of house centipedes when I lived in NY. I got rid of them when I found a pillow case that was infested with eggs. Blech!

I guess you could take comfort in knowing they’re great at catching other bugs and generally harmless.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep that would have made my heart skip a beat. Remembering the old saying "Red and black, venom lack, red and yellow, kill a fellow."

Scariest thing for me-hmmmmm....... I think it was the time when we were hunkered down in the basement waiting out a bad storm. Tornado sirens were droning on and on. Then a spider comes out of the drain. Not just any spider but a big black spider with neon markings and huge back glossy eyes that turned to look at me. I was like "WTH?". I am not afraid of spiders and snakes but this guy kept tracking me with his eyes. Very, very creepy. I was about ready to go upstairs and face a tornado to get away from him. He looked like this but even more intense.

Phidippus_audax_male.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way!! I love my centipedes now!! I will make one a pet and name him.

In the living room, how did it get there??

The seal between the door and the threshold (that rubber piece) had worn down. You could see the gap so we think it just slipped right through it. I had all the doors fixed after that. And while I was waiting to get it fixed, I put duck tape on the bottom of the doors. I didn't even care that it looked terrible for the week it took to get someone to come fix it!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat I had an infestation of house centipedes when I lived in NY. I got rid of them when I found a pillow case that was infested with eggs. Blech!

I guess you could take comfort in knowing they’re great at catching other bugs and generally harmless.

Ok...now i have to google their eggs and not eat dinner tonight. I want the other bugs so badly. I keep finding the centipedes in my bathroom. OMG, where i keep linens! I’m going to be looking now! Ok, I won’t be looking, but my husband will.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the actual house....mice which I know sounds ridiculous but they are gross. They poop everywhere and can spread disease (we have deer mice so Hantavirus) and are just generally unpleasant. We have mice in our attic and know they need to be dealt with but it's been put off so long I'm dreading dealing with it.

In the shed when we first moved in we found a grave marker for a young girl, the name was the same last name of the people who lied here before us. Sixteen years later it's still in the shed.

Those house centipedes are scary looking AND fast. My five year old calls them housepedes.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found a few black widows hanging around in my basement.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same, big big spiders, poisonous spiders, and in our previous house we got home from eating out walked in the door and I almost stepped on a snake that I didn't see in the kitchen on the floor....

We also have rats, mice, possums that like to thump across the roof at 2:00 and 3:00am on a regular basis.... The possums themselves are not scary but they sound like a human breaking into your house. In fact if someone was to actually break into my house in the middle of the night I'd probably just assume it was a possum....

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok...now i have to google their eggs and not eat dinner tonight. I want the other bugs so badly. I keep finding the centipedes in my bathroom. OMG, where i keep linens! I’m going to be looking now! Ok, I won’t be looking, but my husband will.
Is it a lot of linen? If not, you could just throw all of it in the wash and hope that does the trick. Might be easier than inspecting everything.

In the actual house....mice which I know sounds ridiculous but they are gross. They poop everywhere and can spread disease (we have deer mice so Hantavirus) and are just generally unpleasant. We have mice in our attic and know they need to be dealt with but it's been put off so long I'm dreading dealing with it.
Could you send your cat up there for a night or two?

spider.jpg
Mostly just a few of these sneaking about.... :errrr:
That is terrifying!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie, we have two cats and one would probably be a killing machine up there. However the fiberglass insulation would be dangerous for him and I wouldn't want him to catch anything from the mice. The good news is they are confined to the attic only, oh and the shed where they found a bag of grass seed!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie, we have two cats and one would probably be a killing machine up there. However the fiberglass insulation would be dangerous for him and I wouldn't want him to catch anything from the mice. The good news is they are confined to the attic only, oh and the shed where they found a bag of grass seed!

Ah ok, makes sense! Your cats are doing their jobs if the mice are only found where the cats cannot go. My parents had a rat problem years ago and it was the same - they only hung out where the cat couldn't get them.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a picture of the one we found a long time ago, but a male dobson fly. They're harmless but I thought it was a damned alien when I saw it. Huge. They smell bad.

maledobsonfly.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh that is scary looking @ItsMainelyYou and huge. Think I'd go flying under the bed if I saw that!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh that is scary looking @ItsMainelyYou and huge. Think I'd go flying under the bed if I saw that!

I swear it hissed at me using it's wings, I freaked and ran to get the biggest Ball jar I could find and scooped it up. That thing had to be contained.
Then I went to find the husband to tell him he had 'a situation' to deal with. :lol:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like bugs and reptiles and spiders. But I did once spot a brown recluse in a wood pile when I was getting wood for a fire and that little critter does scare me. That toxin is no joke!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE ="cmd2014, post: 4719296, member: 79154"]
I think it’s me at the moment. I haven’t shaved my legs in so long I look like a centipede!
[/QUOTE]

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
High levels of radon gas. Ughhhhh.......

...........although some of these pictures y'all are sharing are coming mighty close......

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks folks...I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight. :-o

@ItsMainelyYou ...that is truly horrifying!!

We’ve lived in mostly southern states which tend to be buggy. Lady bug swarms, carpenter ant swarms, a killer bee swarm (that was outside in a chimney), black widow spiders, palmetto bugs...we‘ve seen a lot.
But the truly worst thing was in a house in S. TX...while we had been out of town a family of opossums tore out a soffit and gained access to the attic. It was summer and they chewed through the the flex ducts to live in cool comfort. I don’t know what exactly happened up there but when we got home the stench of dead animals was unmistakable and heavy...I can still smell it and it’s been more than 20 years. o_O Some of the opossums had died in the duct work...one of them in the vent directly above the dining room table with tail and feet hanging out of the vent. I wanted to burn the house down but insurance said no. We had to do live animal removal, dead animal removal, siding/soffit repair, clean out and replacement of the attic insulation, full duct replacement and an extreme cleaning of the house- sanitize and odor remediation.like they do after a fire. I think we replaced some furniture and carpet too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results